PDA

View Full Version : Build Your Perfect Zombie Movie

SRP76
01-Feb-2010, 12:30 AM
Alright, everyone has certain things they like or do not like in zombie movies. Here, post one or more general themes you would want included or banned from your perfect flick.

I'll start off:

1. Gore - keep it to a minimum. An occasional "hey, that's cool" close-up of a bite is okay, but we don't need an endless parade of exploding heads and intestine-yanking. The story can survive without it, and too much of it just takes away from that story.

2. Characters - the fewer the better. The more characters you have, the less each one of them can do during the movie. Stay focused; don't jump the plot all over the place between a bunch of unnecessary characters.

I have more, but I'd like to read some other people's ideas first.

Mr.G
01-Feb-2010, 01:39 AM
3. SLOW zombies.
4. The more isolated the setting and characters, the better.
5. Minimum of 2 hours for proper character and plot development.

blind2d
01-Feb-2010, 01:52 AM
6. Gotta fit a helicopter in there somewhere...
7. Um, pretty female lead...
8. Slight social/political commentary undertones.

C5NOTLD
01-Feb-2010, 02:23 AM
Ok finished - that was easy :skull:

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa187/louiselovesslash/Night_Living_Dead.jpg

Billythezombie
01-Feb-2010, 03:42 AM
for me, I love running zombies.
secondly, I love the gorey scenes, there must be some good zombie feasting in there too!
Also, I agree, the fewer the characters the better, and zombies movies should at least be 2 hours.
Lastly, the zombies must look legit. I mean, all zombie movies must have decent make up artists. I Also like zombies that have numerous injuries, such as their side of their face ripped off etc.

fulci fan
01-Feb-2010, 04:38 AM
1. Slow zombies. Really slow.
2. Gotta have a lot of effects. Rick baker should be in charge.
3. Good actors. No one well known at all. Hot leading or supporting actress and we gotta see them boobies. big butt too, no little butts. Badass lead or supporting actor. There should be characters that have specialties.
4. Good director. Maybe Neil Marshall, John Landis, Umberto Lenzi (if we brought him to the States), or Robert Rodriguez. Sorry, George.
5. Good setting or settings and plot. How about a suburban environment and the people in the house are trying to get to the country. Maybe a jungle environment.
6. Zombie killing tactics should be cool. I think alot of the stuff in the zombie survival guide is neat. For instance, drive a truck in the infested area and have guys in the back of the truck pick the zombies off.
7. The outbreak should be old enough for people to adjust and think of ways to survive. So the film should start a few weeks or a month after the outbreak. Maybe have the opening credits with the lead doing a voice over explaining what happened while it shows the shit hitting the fan and zombies breaking through police barricades and the corpses rising up at viewings and banging on the coffins at funerals.
8. Needs to be a barricading scene. I love those lol :)

Billythezombie
01-Feb-2010, 08:12 AM
I think seeing breasts in movies cheapens it. Really shows lack of respect for women. Also, if they show boobies or naked women, the should show naked men!! Lets see some cocks people.

capncnut
01-Feb-2010, 08:27 AM
Lets see some cocks people.
Billythezombie presents... Dawn Of The Dick. :D

strayrider
01-Feb-2010, 09:35 AM
Lets see some cocks people.

Yes ma'am! Right away, ma'am!

http://www.cartoonresearch.com/foggy2.jpg

"Ah say, ah say, ah say there, son...that boy's about as sharp as a bowlin' ball...that's a joke, son, don't yew get it? That boy has a mind like a steel trap...fulla mice, that is..."

:D

-stray-

Billythezombie
01-Feb-2010, 09:49 AM
lol thanks but i wasnt talking about roosters XD

MikePizzoff
01-Feb-2010, 10:16 AM
Billythezombie presents... Dawn Of The Dick. :D

My friends band, Jenkem, has a song called that.

blind2d
01-Feb-2010, 10:45 AM
Wow, Mike... seriously? Wonder what it's like...

krakenslayer
01-Feb-2010, 11:41 AM
1. Slow zombies

2. Some extreme gore, but only in occasional bursts, so when it comes it still has impact

3. Likeable, ordinary human characters (not super-trained cops, soldiers, survivalists, marines, ninjas, etc.)...

4. ...that don't immediately become zed-killing machines two minutes into the outbreak: no one should be wasting large numbers of zombies during the first hour of the film. Give the zombies the upper hand and make them intimidating and a real, terrifying threat, until the survivors begin to man up, get their plan together, and start turning the tables towards the end of the second act. This means when the ass-kicking scenes do come, they get a big fucking cheer.

5. A claustrophobic, siege-type setup for the first two thirds of the film, followed by a cross country dash in the third act, a bit like Dawn 2004 but longer, less shakey-cam, and giving us more of a view of the outside world (actually probably more like the opening to Day, with more action)

6. It should play to the upbeat, end-of-the-world camaraderie, while occasionally slamming us hard with the real grief and horror of the situation

7. It should not be gun-wank. As much as seeing people blow the tops off zombies' skulls with high powered rifles is fun, we've seen it a million times and I would like to see a movie that concentrates more on characters having to fight with whatever they can find - melee weapons like axes and clubs, flammable materials, vehicles, the environment, even home-made weapons like pipe bombs and zip guns, etc. - you know, its more interesting and involving if the characters are having to user their wits and problem solving abilities just to defend themselves rather than stumbling upon a crate of M16s and unlimited ammo in the first act

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

My friends band, Jenkem, has a song called that.

LOL Jenkem:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a6/Jenkem1.jpg

AcesandEights
01-Feb-2010, 12:25 PM
I've given you a blueprint; 10 steps to greatness:

1. Slow zombies
2. Running zombies
3. Flying zombies
4. Zombie Man
5. Navy SEALS (must include original cast from the bad 1990 film of the same name)
6. Marauding Ninja-warriors (Wu Jen would be acceptable)
7. Shotguns, .50 cal. anti-materiel madness, vorpal swords and some high cycling sub machine guns
8. Boobs
9. C*ck
10. Enough gore that the film will never be legal and we'll all have to bit torrent it or watch it on grainy reel to reel bootlegs.

You're welcome.

deadpunk
01-Feb-2010, 12:34 PM
1. Slow zombies

2. Some extreme gore, but only in occasional bursts, so when it comes it still has impact

3. Likeable, ordinary human characters (not super-trained cops, soldiers, survivalists, marines, ninjas, etc.)...

4. ...that don't immediately become zed-killing machines two minutes into the outbreak: no one should be wasting large numbers of zombies during the first hour of the film. Give the zombies the upper hand and make them intimidating and a real, terrifying threat, until the survivors begin to man up, get their plan together, and start turning the tables towards the end of the second act. This means when the ass-kicking scenes do come, they get a big fucking cheer.

5. A claustrophobic, siege-type setup for the first two thirds of the film, followed by a cross country dash in the third act, a bit like Dawn 2004 but longer, less shakey-cam, and giving us more of a view of the outside world (actually probably more like the opening to Day, with more action)

6. It should play to the upbeat, end-of-the-world camaraderie, while occasionally slamming us hard with the real grief and horror of the situation

7. It should not be gun-wank. As much as seeing people blow the tops off zombies' skulls with high powered rifles is fun, we've seen it a million times and I would like to see a movie that concentrates more on characters having to fight with whatever they can find - melee weapons like axes and clubs, flammable materials, vehicles, the environment, even home-made weapons like pipe bombs and zip guns, etc. - you know, its more interesting and involving if the characters are having to user their wits and problem solving abilities just to defend themselves rather than stumbling upon a crate of M16s and unlimited ammo in the first act

Someone give this man a camera and a budget. That whole post is just dripping with awesome sauce...:)

mista_mo
01-Feb-2010, 12:57 PM
I've given you a blueprint; 10 steps to greatness:

1. Slow zombies
2. Running zombies
3. Flying zombies
4. Zombie Man
5. Navy SEALS (must include original cast from the bad 1990 film of the same name)
6. Marauding Ninja-warriors (Wu Jen would be acceptable)
7. Shotguns, .50 cal. anti-materiel madness, vorpal swords and some high cycling sub machine guns
8. Boobs
9. C*ck
10. Enough gore that the film will never be legal and we'll all have to bit torrent it or watch it on grainy reel to reel bootlegs.

You're welcome.

You are also forgetting Steven seagal, who stars as a former geneticist turned survivor, that must use his skills at science and killing to end the plague of undead.

Thorn
03-Feb-2010, 02:18 PM
1- Slow Moving zombies
2- Takes place during the first night of the event
3- 4-5 main characters, to allow for proper character development
4- Siege situation
5- Flight at the end would be great. (as in needing to escape their confines)
6- Commentary of something valuable and relevant.
7- Grim and gritty without being futile and totally hopeless.
8- At least one survivor.
9- Great sound track, key for setting the mood.
10- Decent budget. Enough for good effects, sets , and costumes but not so much so you are a slave to the studios.

bozak
03-Feb-2010, 02:53 PM
1) Slow zombies
2) The beginning of the outbrake
3) Scenes of the world getting overtaken by the undead (how people get ambushed by zombies, getting chased, confused and scared, eaten. Explosions, collapses of the traffic system and e.t.c.).
4) One main hero who meets the other one or two survivers
5) Barricade/sanctuaries siege by zombies (kinda like those too)
6) Some kind of a plot/storyline, not just a dumb slaughter.
7) Somebody dragged to the elevator full of zombies (love such kind of scenes)
8) Action is taken place during the night and the day time.
9) very realistic zombie-makeup
10) Some funny, humorous, sarcastic moments
11) Good, smart dialogues and character interactions

blind2d
03-Feb-2010, 10:02 PM
Thorn seems to have described the original Night for the most part, and bozak seems to want to see something more along the lines of Dawn '04. Hmm... generational gap, perchance?

SRP76
03-Feb-2010, 10:07 PM
I see one thing that keeps popping up that I disagree with.

I want no "social message" or any bullshit like that. If I want political views, I'll watch a campaign ad. Zombies have a hard enough time as it is; they don't need you pack-muling your soapboxing onto their backs.

And one "moral of the story" in particular that I absolutely will not stomach any further is the "we need to hate ourselves because we suck and deserve to die" message. Sick of hearing it. Anyone that can't stand being a horrible, terrible human being can go kill himself, and hope to be reincarnated as a tree or something. Quit telling the rest of us that humanity is a disease.

blind2d
03-Feb-2010, 10:10 PM
Agent Smith frowns at you.
But if you're a tree... then a HUMAN will cut you down!
Or you'll get pissed on by bears and destroyed by a random fire just before your 200th birthday... dang, being a tree would suck!

krakenslayer
03-Feb-2010, 11:34 PM

I want no "social message" or any bullshit like that. If I want political views, I'll watch a campaign ad. Zombies have a hard enough time as it is; they don't need you pack-muling your soapboxing onto their backs.

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=329&stc=1&d=1265243624

You now have wood, admit it. :D :lol:

bassman
03-Feb-2010, 11:36 PM

Hurm. You do realize you're on a Romero fansite, right? The man's been pumping out this message since 1968....

bozak
04-Feb-2010, 05:34 AM
The idea of telling humanity that we suck is to encourage us to try correct ourselves, make ourselves better, more caring about life and other people and not to make us go kill ourselves i guess.

fulci fan
04-Feb-2010, 11:11 AM

And one "moral of the story" in particular that I absolutely will not stomach any further is the "we need to hate ourselves because we suck and deserve to die" message. Sick of hearing it. Anyone that can't stand being a horrible, terrible human being can go kill himself, and hope to be reincarnated as a tree or something. Quit telling the rest of us that humanity is a disease.

I agree.