PDA

View Full Version : Retro arcade classics

capncnut
04-Feb-2010, 04:03 PM
I know there's probably another thread similar to this lurking in the backpages but I really couldn't be arsed to carry on past page five on a search of the word 'arcade'.

Right, now that the hour of death is upon video arcades, I thought I'd make y'all delve back into your foggy memories and relive the days when you'd waste all your pocket money shoving coins into arcade games. Let's keep this pre-2000's.

ayw6LbAWIk4
The immortal classic. I remember there were queues all around the machine and the other kids used to try and put you off because they wanted their slice of the action. There's nothing like the feeling of blowing up a Death Star all by yourself.

Ctr54kopo8I
Another vector graphics game that was highly addictive, but quite unnerving to play. The darkness, the long silences followed by loud explosions, the way enemy tanks used to crawl up behind you without a sound and blow you to shit - all very creepy to me.

0nVjkhtsaJ8&feature=related
The film Firefox was a gnarly old Pitt Bull's lipstick, but crumbs was the videogame a groundbreaker. I used to feed it 50p's just to whizz through the realistic skies, even though the gameplay itself was really quite bland.

Not my true favourites, of course, but just a few examples. Interesting I chose a couple of movie tie-in's in there. Anyway, what did you find fun to play at the arcades back in the day? I guess you could list your worst games too, if you like.

krakenslayer
04-Feb-2010, 04:22 PM
This game used to torment me:
OeYIeaHjewU

I didn't know anything as bad ass could exist until I saw the huge, two 50" screen cabinet:
O24F-PpdvKc

This one was a true staple of my youth. That "ooh-aaahh" of dying troops seemed to pervade every arcade in the land until about 1998:
yTiQ_jHinN8

capncnut
04-Feb-2010, 04:32 PM
This game used to torment me:
OeYIeaHjewU
Never played that one before. Looks like it can be a right old pain in the tits.

krakenslayer
04-Feb-2010, 07:07 PM
ayw6LbAWIk4
The immortal classic. I remember there were queues all around the machine and the other kids used to try and put you off because they wanted their slice of the action. There's nothing like the feeling of blowing up a Death Star all by yourself.

Got three grand Brett?:
http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk/products/starwarscockpit.htm

fartpants
04-Feb-2010, 07:43 PM
Got three grand Brett?:

OMG...i think iv just seen my 40th birthday present, screw the Harley this will be way more fun.....

darth los
04-Feb-2010, 07:55 PM
OMG...i think iv just seen my 40th birthday present, screw the Harley this will be way more fun.....

Well, it was either that or the harley. :rolleyes:

:cool:

Yojimbo
05-Feb-2010, 02:34 AM
I am old enough to remember a time when this game was the end all be all of coolness.gb4gWvqbsYA&feature=related

SRP76
05-Feb-2010, 02:52 AM
Beat 'em ups were the king.

S0-2xhQAO9k

1mMq8j6QNzc

Another favorite:

8A2xWRv_I9Y

blind2d
05-Feb-2010, 03:49 AM
Space Invaders and Street Fighter II. The rest... pointless. Kinda like THPS4. Really puts all the other games under the TH name to shame. Some people seem to like Centipede, but I can't understand why... or Dragon's Quest, for that matter...

capncnut
05-Feb-2010, 06:52 AM
Got three grand Brett?:
You know what Martin, I will have in a couple of months but it just wouldn't be right to pour that kind of cash away for one of those when there's people starving in the world...

Yeah, right. :sneaky:

It does make you think though. If I won the lottery, I'd definitely have one of those, OutRun, and an Addams Family pinball machine for sure.

I am old enough to remember a time when this game was the end all be all of coolness.gb4gWvqbsYA&feature=related
Oh mate, Beserk was red hot. Never got to play it at the arcade (I think) but I have it for my Atari. Some stark raving mad sound effects.

rongravy
05-Feb-2010, 06:58 AM
Badlands was one of the coolest games ever. It was kinda expensive at the time, being 50 cents to play, but well worth it. The hardest part was getting a turn, having enough money to learn what up with it.
06ZrXvii98A
Or Dragon's Lair, another breakthrough in gaming. And my allowance.
toebt_UTkdo
My dad had this one in his poolhall/arcade. When the guy came to take the money and no one was around, he'd give me a bunch of free games to play.
734fWqtk0XE
It's kind of a Pac Man ripoff, but you can trap those jellyfish in the side doors and empty the screen of its goodies untouched.
I have alot more faves, but I liked these. Later days when we still had a few arcades left, I played alot of House of the Dead 1&2. I like to use both guns by myself, too.
Sad that arcades are gone, I loved hanging out in them, but later all the games sucked. Bummer, dood.

Danny
05-Feb-2010, 07:37 AM
NfwLBk1zvrw

:BARF!!:

krakenslayer
05-Feb-2010, 10:00 AM
Arcades still exist here but, whereas they used to be 80% arcade games, they're now 90% slot/fruit machines (those weird, super-complicated ones we have over here) with a couple of two player racing games stuck away in a dusty cobwebby corner.

Danny
05-Feb-2010, 11:01 AM
Arcades still exist here but, whereas they used to be 80% arcade games, they're now 90% slot/fruit machines (those weird, super-complicated ones we have over here) with a couple of two player racing games stuck away in a dusty cobwebby corner.

Then mu'a'fukka needs to get down to skeggy, whent there last summer and there were as many games as slots, they had a rambo machine where all you did was stand there with a turret and hold down the trigger and yell.:lol:

capncnut
05-Feb-2010, 11:31 AM
There's plenty of amusement arcades in London, some of which have literally tons of games (old and new). But they are generally quite barren, except for drunken chavs at 11pm on the fruities.

eHP60i6WFPQ&feature=related
Here's another one I used to love. It was bloody hard but used to eat up my 50p's like nobody's business.

MikePizzoff
07-Feb-2010, 02:29 PM
In my basement we've got Street Fight II and Legionnaire arcade cabinets. :cool:

(I live in what is pretty much a frat house, minus the stupid frat part.)