PDA

View Full Version : Hell Of The Living Dead

Minerva_Zombi
06-Feb-2010, 08:55 PM
Anyone notice that they completely lifted the dawn soundtrack??? lol

krakenslayer
06-Feb-2010, 09:39 PM

Yeah. The rest of the soundtrack (i.e. the few tunes you don't recognise from Dawn) was lifted from other Goblin soundtracks, most notably Luigi Cozzi's Contamination and Joe D'Amato's necrophilia opus Buio Omega.

Also, most of the very obvious stock footage used is from a Mondo movie called La Vallee.

zombiekiller
08-Feb-2010, 01:11 AM

i got this on video but it's called night of the zombies.(just one of the many names it goes by.)

fulci fan
08-Feb-2010, 02:42 AM
I expected this to be a review bashing the movie but I was pleasantly surprised. This is one of my favorite films. Zantoro (Franco Garofolo) is my favorite character in any movie. I also love the relationship between Osborne and Zantoro. You can just tell that they are best friends and they compliment each other so well. This is Bruno Mattei at his best because his early films didn't rip directly off of other films. Later in his career he did direct ripoffs almost frame for frame. The only problem I have with Hell is some zombies smile. I always wondered if there is a scene they cut of the priest dragging Josie off. I saw a picture but never the scene.

As for the soundtrack, half is from Contamination and the other half is from Dawn. However, I can not track down the song that plays in the very beginning of the film. It is not from the other two movies so I guess goblin did a song just for Hell of the Living Dead.

I remember the day I bought Hell of the Living Dead. I thought it was The Gates of Hell because it has the same zombie on the cover. I watched it three times in a row that night lol.

Buio Omega? Maybe it is from that. Still need to see this film

hellachris
08-Feb-2010, 02:56 AM
It's not from Omego, it's from the movie Blood and Diamonds and it's by Luis Bacalov...Good luck finding it though haha, I've been searching for a long time now and all I can find is a version of it ripped directly from Hell of the Living Dead.

krakenslayer
08-Feb-2010, 10:53 AM
I expected this to be a review bashing the movie but I was pleasantly surprised. This is one of my favorite films. Zantoro (Franco Garofolo) is my favorite character in any movie. I also love the relationship between Osborne and Zantoro. You can just tell that they are best friends and they compliment each other so well. This is Bruno Mattei at his best because his early films didn't rip directly off of other films. Later in his career he did direct ripoffs almost frame for frame. The only problem I have with Hell is some zombies smile. I always wondered if there is a scene they cut of the priest dragging Josie off. I saw a picture but never the scene.

Hell of the Living Dead/Night of the Zombies/Zombie Creeping Flesh/Virus is probably one of Mattei's better films, it has some of the best acting, characterization and the most original plot of all his ones I've seen. However, it still has more holes than a Swiss cheese: if the Hope stations were trying to solve the problems of the third world by turning its inhabitants into zombies, how would that help the situation? Millions of unread swarming out of Africa is only going to make our problems worse, right? Surely a simple virus that just quickly kills people would be more effective for their nefarious ends? (I realise it's supposed to be a subtext so I can kind of forgive the previous issues). Why do the "Interpol Special Forces" guys' tactics consist of running into rooms shooting wildly with outdated revolvers and Tommy guns? And the ending - they build up to a big finale then it's just suddenly like "and then everyone died..."

Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a fun movie but with a little effort (not even extra money, necessarily) it could have been so much more.

fulci fan
08-Feb-2010, 10:44 PM
I think that the Italian's weapon technology at the time was behind. So I think that Tommy guns and revolvers were the best they could get. I don't really know though lol.

I think the Hope centers were not actually trying to help. It was a cover up. They just wanted to reduce the human population. That is what Lia Rousseau figured out in the end.

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

It's not from Omego, it's from the movie Blood and Diamonds and it's by Luis Bacalov...Good luck finding it though haha, I've been searching for a long time now and all I can find is a version of it ripped directly from Hell of the Living Dead.

Really cool Avatar.

krakenslayer
08-Feb-2010, 11:53 PM
I think the Hope centers were not actually trying to help. It was a cover up. They just wanted to reduce the human population. That is what Lia Rousseau figured out in the end.

Yeah, I realised that, but reducing the world's population using a biological agent that brings the dead back to life seems to defeat that purpose. If they wanted to obliterate the third world, why not just use a virus or poison that actually makes people die, rather than this convoluted plot involving zombies? If there's one thing more undesirable to these people than a continent full of starving people demanding to be fed, it's a continent full of ravenous zombies coming to feed on them, right?

There is the seed of a really clever allegorical idea there, but sadly it doesn't seem to have been thought through properly. Or at least, it was not expressed in a coherent fashion. A few tweaks here and there and the story could have been something really memorable and special - like Soylent Green meets Dawn of the Dead meets Blood Diamond. As it is, its still an amusing little film, but not entirely for the right reasons.

JDFP
09-Feb-2010, 02:00 AM
Yeah, I realised that, but reducing the world's population using a biological agent that brings the dead back to life seems to defeat that purpose. If they wanted to obliterate the third world, why not just use a virus or poison that actually makes people die, rather than this convoluted plot involving zombies?

Maybe they were afraid this guy would show up?

http://progressiveboink.com/emily/images/stand/4stand86.jpg

The only thing worse than a biological war is Jamey Sheridan... err... Randall Flagg showing up in a mullet to overtake the world...

M-O-O-N, that spells trouble... :D

j.p.

krakenslayer
09-Feb-2010, 08:24 AM
Maybe they were afraid this guy would show up?

http://progressiveboink.com/emily/images/stand/4stand86.jpg

The only thing worse than a biological war is Jamey Sheridan... err... Randall Flagg showing up in a mullet to overtake the world...

M-O-O-N, that spells trouble... :D

j.p.

:lol::lol:

Loved the show, never read the book though. Don't worry, it's on my "to read" list. ;)

(By the way, the photo did show up properly for me but I figured out what it must have been from the Randall Flagg reference.)