PDA

View Full Version : Recent Spam Attacks

Andy
09-Feb-2010, 08:43 AM
The latest wave of spammers to hit the internet are using private messaging on forums to target random groups of members, sending messages claiming to be from the forum staff and usually telling you that we have detected a virus on your computer and asking you to click a link taking you to a scanner of some sort.

If you have been targeted by one of these spammers, first of all please report it to us so we can ban it, we do everything in our power to stop these from reaching you and the majority of them dont make it, but as they are using private messaging, if you dont report the ones that do make it we might miss them.

Secondly, delete the message. This is spam and is not a genuine message from the forum staff, if we need to contact you we will do so from our own username, either Neil, myself or one of the super mods (kaos, capncnut, minionzombie, axlish). We will never use another name to contact you and we will only ever contact you regarding forum matters, we do not have the capability to scan your computer for viruses and warn you, no-one does.

Thirdly, and most importantly, do not click any link in a private message from one of these spammers, it will do more damage to your computer than any good.

That said, Here on HpotD we have taken steps to combat this new type of spam, ive installed a new system which attempts to block them from registering and all the staff are on high alert and seeking out the ones that slip through.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

MikePizzoff
02-Sep-2010, 04:07 PM
Wow, talk about irony...

bassman
02-Sep-2010, 04:09 PM
:lol:

Wow...

LouCipherr
02-Sep-2010, 04:11 PM
Wow, talk about irony...

I was just thinking the same thing... :lol:

ProfessorChaos
02-Sep-2010, 04:19 PM
pizz stole the words right from my keyboard!

AcesandEights
02-Sep-2010, 04:36 PM
Wow :lol:

That's one glib spam bot.

slickwilly13
02-Sep-2010, 05:00 PM
Cnut, is that you?

Exatreides
02-Sep-2010, 06:13 PM
Rather classy move spambot, rather classy move.