PDA

View Full Version : Who is Kaufman?

SRP76
09-Feb-2010, 09:29 PM
Alright, I think this is a legitimate question.

Romero seems to have made Land just to bitch and moan about certain things. Whether any of us agree with his "message" or not doesn't matter. The fact is, it's there, and we all know it.

This makes me think that maybe the Kaufman character is a representation of a specific person that Romero's got a problem with. I'm sure someone around here has all kinds of "inside information", so if I'm wrong in this belief I'm sure to get corrected by the local gurus real quick.

But if I'm right, who do you think it could be? Donald Trump? George Bush? Maybe the CEO of Domino's Pizza? Who?

Mike70
09-Feb-2010, 09:36 PM
Alright, I think this is a legitimate question.

Romero seems to have made Land just to bitch and moan about certain things. Whether any of us agree with his "message" or not doesn't matter. The fact is, it's there, and we all know it.

This makes me think that maybe the Kaufman character is a representation of a specific person that Romero's got a problem with. I'm sure someone around here has all kinds of "inside information", so if I'm wrong in this belief I'm sure to get corrected by the local gurus real quick.

But if I'm right, who do you think it could be? Donald Trump? George Bush? Maybe the CEO of Domino's Pizza? Who?

i have zero "inside information" but this very subject is talked about on either the land commentary or in one of the special feature bits (i can't remember which one but i'm sure someone will thrill us with that info). anyhoo, hopper says that he based kaufman on donald rumsfeld.

bassman
09-Feb-2010, 09:36 PM
Donald Rumsfeld is specifically mentioned in the extras.

Rumsfeld was Hopper's inspiration, but basically the whole green thing is the Bush Administration. So I guess he could also have a bit of bush thrown in there.

SRP76
09-Feb-2010, 09:43 PM
Okay. I guess I missed that. The only thing I remember about the commentary was some babbling about cgi zombie rats.

Mike70
09-Feb-2010, 09:47 PM
Okay. I guess I missed that. The only thing I remember about the commentary was some babbling about cgi zombie rats.

actually man, now that this thread has me thinking about it, i am pretty sure that it is from an interview with hopper that is in one of the special features and not the commentary.

bassman
09-Feb-2010, 09:50 PM
actually man, now that this thread has me thinking about it, i am pretty sure that it is from an interview with hopper that is in one of the special features and not the commentary.

It's an interview with Romero. He says that Hopper told him he based his acting on Rumsfeld and Romero says "That's exactly where i'm going with this, man! It's the Bush Administration".

SRP76
09-Feb-2010, 09:54 PM
I'll admit, I have no clue what "extras" the DVD I saw had, other than the commentary. I borrowed a copy from my library, and returned it after a week. Never borrowed it again, and refuse to spend any money to buy a copy of my own.

All I know is that it did have a commentary track with Romero and some other people, and I listened to that. I didn't even bother with whatever else was on the disc.

Mike70
09-Feb-2010, 09:57 PM
It's an interview with Romero. He says that Hopper told him he based his acting on Rumsfeld and Romero says "That's exactly where i'm going with this, man! It's the Bush Administration".

aha! it was an interview with romero not hopper. i'm glad you posted this because it was turning into one of those "must find answer" thingys. you know when you get to thinking about something incredibly trivial and must have the answer.

i was just about to pop in land and give the special features a spin.

AcesandEights
09-Feb-2010, 10:44 PM
No conspiracy theorists have ventured Rubinstein, eh?

Not that I really think that, but I figured someone would have gone there.

bassman
09-Feb-2010, 10:57 PM
No conspiracy theorists have ventured Rubinstein, eh?

HA! Interesting. I could see it.