PDA

View Full Version : Joe Pilato as Stephen in "Dawn of the Dead"?

JDFP
10-Feb-2010, 11:48 PM
I recently saw an interview with The Joe Pilato in which he mentions that he originally read for the part of Stephen. This made me grin just thinking about it, in how different of a film/dynamic "DAWN" would have been with Pilato in the role.

I think Pilato is a fine actor, and it's a damn shame that he hasn't really had any roles worth mentioning really other than Rhodes (Is he SAG? Why does the man not act more?). One of my favorite things about "DAY" (as my favorite horror flick ever made) is Pilato as Rhodes in the flick.

Anyway, I started thinking about how different of a flick "DAWN" would be with him in this lead role. I honestly would have been interested in seeing how the flick would have turned out with him in the role. Personally, I think he's a bit too intense to have pulled it off as well as Emge, who I think did fantastic in the role.

If he had, who would have played Rhodes in "DAY" other than him? Eh, I'd have to throw in a vote for David Carradine...

Anyway, thoughts?

j.p.

Edit: Here's a link to said interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyYlPluteyA&NR=1

thxleo
11-Feb-2010, 12:04 AM
I recently saw an interview with The Joe Pilato in which he mentions that he originally read for the part of Stephen. This made me grin just thinking about it, in how different of a film/dynamic "DAWN" would have been with Pilato in the role.

I think Pilato is a fine actor, and it's a damn shame that he hasn't really had any roles worth mentioning really other than Rhodes (Is he SAG? Why does the man not act more?). One of my favorite things about "DAY" (as my favorite horror flick ever made) is Pilato as Rhodes in the flick.

Anyway, I started thinking about how different of a flick "DAWN" would be with him in this lead role. I honestly would have been interested in seeing how the flick would have turned out with him in the role. Personally, I think he's a bit too intense to have pulled it off as well as Emge, who I think did fantastic in the role.

If he had, who would have played Rhodes in "DAY" other than him? Eh, I'd have to throw in a vote for David Carradine...

Anyway, thoughts?

j.p.

Pilato is a member of SAG. He and several other cast members from DAY have been appealing to SAG for a long time to help them with residuals from the film. I don't know all of the details, but they claim that the producers pretty much shafted them on that. Again, I don't know all of the story...yet.
I spoke to Joe Monday evening and he said that he should have never left Pittsburgh for LA. I think he probably would have done a lot of theater work here in the 'Burgh and then could have done films whenever they came to town.
As for him playing Flyboy, I think he would have done a pretty good job. However, nobody could play Rhodes like Pilato did...nobody. Rhodes is easily the best character that Romero ever created.

DjfunkmasterG
11-Feb-2010, 12:06 AM
Rhodes is a great character, but Pilato as Stephen... I just don't see it.

Zombie Snack
11-Feb-2010, 04:50 AM
as for him playing flyboy, i think he would have done a pretty good job. However, nobody could play rhodes like pilato did...nobody. rhodes is easily the best character that romero ever created.

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

krakenslayer
11-Feb-2010, 07:27 AM
Apparently Pilato was offered the part of Rhodes only because the budget was slashed, implying that they would have gone for a more established or even a name actor if they'd shot the original script with a full budget. So what actor do you see playing Rhodes in the "big" Day?

Legion2213
11-Feb-2010, 07:33 AM
Michael Ironside. :cool:

capncnut
11-Feb-2010, 07:48 AM
Hell yes! I can totally see that.

krakenslayer
11-Feb-2010, 08:03 AM

Haha, yeah!

I also think Christopher Walken would put a unique spin on Rhodes.

SymphonicX
11-Feb-2010, 08:53 AM
Joe as rhodes is untouchable really, a great character that stands the test of time.

I wish more came of Joe's career, he's a cool mofo.

I'd love to write a completely new horror movie then get all of Romero's old buddies back on screen including Emge, Pilato, Reineger, Gaylen Ross, Warner Shook, John Amplas, all those cats...

capncnut
11-Feb-2010, 09:00 AM
I'd love to write a completely new horror movie then get all of Romero's old buddies back on screen including Emge, Pilato, Reineger, Gaylen Ross, Warner Shook, John Amplas, all those cats...
Warner Shook, that's a name I haven't heard in a while. Didn't he win the Pullitzer Prize for a play he wrote some time ago?

bassman
11-Feb-2010, 11:40 AM
I also think Christopher Walken would put a unique spin on Rhodes.

haha....thinking of Rhodes' dialogue through Walken's speech patterns is hilarious.

"Im.....running this monkey farm.....now.....Frankenstein"

thxleo
11-Feb-2010, 01:06 PM
Apparently Pilato was offered the part of Rhodes only because the budget was slashed, implying that they would have gone for a more established or even a name actor if they'd shot the original script with a full budget. So what actor do you see playing Rhodes in the "big" Day?

I've never heard that Pilato was offered the role because the budget was cut. Up until LAND, Romero always preferred unknowns for the zombie films. Back in those days, what name actor would have done a Romero zombie film? I've had an actor who worked with Romero many times tell me that the acting community they are in looks down on those films because of the subject matter. I can't see anyway that a name actor was ever considered for the Rhodes character.
The budget for the original script was larger because of the scope of the film and the large amount of effects, so they still could not have afforded a name actor even if they had wanted to.
Hey Kraken, where did you read that?

krakenslayer
11-Feb-2010, 01:13 PM
I've never heard that Pilato was offered the role because the budget was cut. Up until LAND, Romero always preferred unknowns for the zombie films. Back in those days, what name actor would have done a Romero zombie film? I've had an actor who worked with Romero many times tell me that the acting community they are in looks down on those films because of the subject matter. I can't see anyway that a name actor was ever considered for the Rhodes character.
The budget for the original script was larger because of the scope of the film and the large amount of effects, so they still could not have afforded a name actor even if they had wanted to.

By "name actor", I was referring more to someone who had an established past in the industry, like his casting of Kenneth Welsh and Richard Fitzpatrick in Survival; accomplished screen actors but not neccessarily "stars" like John Leguizamo and Dennis Hopper. The gist of Pilato's comments were that Rubenstein and co. wanted to stick to semi-professional actors whom they could get away with shafting over wages etc.

I'll try and find the interview if it's online, although it might have been something he told at the Dawn/Day screening in Glasgow I was at.

AcesandEights
11-Feb-2010, 01:32 PM
I think Pilato was the right actor at the right time, when it came to Day and I'd like to see him in more projects just out of a sense of morbid curiosity as to how well he would do, and whether he'd carry that over the top bombast which he brought to (and so truly complimented) Day.

I don't think of him as a good actor, but, admittedly, my exposure to him has been very limited. I'd like to see some more range from him though, but, conversely, suspect he'd be a great character actor. Looking at his IMDB page, I didn't see too many movies I knew too well where he didn't have a bit part, can anyone recommend any movies other than Day to give me a good look at his acting chops?

thxleo
11-Feb-2010, 01:38 PM
By "name actor", I was referring more to someone who had an established past in the industry, like his casting of Kenneth Welsh and Richard Fitzpatrick in Survival; accomplished screen actors but not neccessarily "stars" like John Leguizamo and Dennis Hopper. The gist of Pilato's comments were that Rubenstein and co. wanted to stick to semi-professional actors whom they could get away with shafting over wages etc.

I'll try and find the interview if it's online, although it might have been something he told at the Dawn/Day screening in Glasgow I was at.

Things are different nowadays. You can get someone with a little more on their resume to do these type of films.
Again though, the original script was going to have a much more expensive production design, especially dealing with the Florida locations. Not only that, but there were more characters, which would have meant more actors of course. Add even more effects on top of that. So, I don't know...interesting accusation by Pilato though!

Trin
11-Feb-2010, 02:06 PM
haha....thinking of Rhodes' dialogue through Walken's speech patterns is hilarious.

lol

"It sounded great... but I coulda used a little more Greek Salad."

I think Rhodes was great. But I have a hard time putting his character and role above John, Sarah, or Bill. Or from the other movies Peter, Roger, Flyboy, Fran. There are just some great characters in the the movies. And I maintain that Charlie is still probably my favorite GAR Dead series character.

JDFP
11-Feb-2010, 02:07 PM
Michael Ironside is the man. But I think classifying him in the A-list of Hollywood actors is a bit of a stretch. Have you seen some of the films he has done?

With that said, the thought of anyone else playing Pilato would be like imagining someone else playing Captain James T. Kirk other than William Shatner. Just can't happen. Oh, wait... :shifty:

I think Richard Liberty was also really brilliant in "DAY". If he had acted in any other type of film other than a horror-flick the way he did in "DAY" I'd dare say he would have won some awards and recognition for it. Dr. Logan was a fantastic role and he became that character for the film.

As far as big Hollywood actors taking the place of original cast-members, I just can't see it...

Night of the Living Dead, starring Justin Timberlake as Tommy, Billy Bob Thornton as Harry Cooper...

Dawn of the Dead, starring Kevin Costner as "Flyboy", Laurence Fishburne as Peter...

Day of the Dead, starring Morgan Freeman as John, Peter O'Toole as Dr. Logan....

Eh... no...

j.p.

capncnut
11-Feb-2010, 02:10 PM
I think Rhodes was great. But I have a hard time putting his character and role above John, Sarah, or Bill. Or from the other movies Peter, Roger, Flyboy, Fran. There are just some great characters in the the movies. And I maintain that Charlie is still probably my favorite GAR Dead series character.
I can't argue with that at all, Trin. I thought Charlie was quite loveable. I think I said on here some time ago that Robert Joy was the total scene stealer in Land.

sandrock74
11-Feb-2010, 08:27 PM

Adding Michael Ironside makes everything cooler. He was AWESOME as Darkseid in the Justice League series! You have to be a cool mofo to say something like, "Let the universe howl in despair, for I have returned." and have everyone believe it.

fulci fan
11-Feb-2010, 08:46 PM
Kurt Russel could have played Rhodes easily. :)

JDFP
11-Feb-2010, 08:59 PM

Fulci Fan, I can't believe I'm saying it, but I am agreeing with you on something for a change. I think Russell is one of the most undervalued actors out there. He was amazing in "The Thing", "Dreamer", and of course "Death Proof" -- he made that flick. He's great in all the roles he does. And it's a damn shame that he doesn't act more, he's a fantastic actor. Then again, thanks to good ol' Uncle Walt (Disney) he probably doesn't have to do too much acting to ensure he and Goldie eat well every night for dinner. I doubt she does the cooking though.

j.p.

krakenslayer
11-Feb-2010, 09:07 PM

I LOVE Kurt Russell (non-sexually, obviously) but I'm not sure about him as Rhodes. He could do the smouldering hostility thing excellently, but I'm not sure what he would be like in the screaming murderous rage scenes.

fulci fan
12-Feb-2010, 01:45 AM
He is one of my favorite actors. I think he can play any part out there. Too bad they had to make him a pussy in Death Proof. But if he wasn't in 3,000 miles to Graceland, that movie would have sucked. I still need to see John Carpenter's Elvis though.

Mike70
12-Feb-2010, 01:49 AM
I think I said on here some time ago that Robert Joy was the total scene stealer in Land.

isn't there something in either the land commentary or one of the special features where romero talks about the part of charlie being written especially for robert joy?

blind2d
12-Feb-2010, 01:55 AM
I wish Pilsbury and Pretty Boy had more screentime... they're my personal favorites. While Charlie was great... his character seemed to gimmicky to me (no offense!) I don't know... As for Cholo... he was all right. Dawn of the Pilato? Don't think so.

SRP76
12-Feb-2010, 04:10 PM
Christopher Lloyd as Logan. It's pretty much the exact same role as the Doc Brown character he was playing at the same time, only with dead bodies instead of "1.21 gigawatts".

fulci fan
12-Feb-2010, 05:34 PM
If you think about it, Joe Pilato's cameo in Dawn was pretty similar to Rhodes. Maybe that is just how he acts when he is in front of the camera. Maybe he wouldn't make a good FlyBoy. :rockbrow:

darth los
12-Feb-2010, 05:55 PM
Rhodes is easily the best character that Romero ever created.

See. If you wait around long enough the unthinkable will happen. We agree on something !! :hyper: :thumbsup:

Although we have to give Pilato credit for bringing the character to life and making it his own. He is truly incomparable in that role.

I agree that no one else could pull it off the way he did.

:cool:

Thorn
12-Feb-2010, 06:03 PM

..more cowbell etc

bassman
12-Feb-2010, 06:11 PM
"Go on...Dance!....Dance you fucking lunatics!!!"

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/g616774063.gif

thxleo
12-Feb-2010, 06:14 PM
See. If you wait around long enough the unthinkable will happen. We agree on something !! :hyper: :thumbsup:

Although we have to give Pilato credit for bringing the character to life and making it his own. He is truly incomparable in that role.

I agree that no one else could pull it off the way he did.

As John Gielgud said in Arthur..."I'll alert the media". :p
Pilato was just simply awesome in that role.

darth los
12-Feb-2010, 06:40 PM
As John Gielgud said in Arthur..."I'll alert the media". :p
Pilato was just simply awesome in that role.

That's one of the Barometers i use in order to determine whether or not someone has acting chops. Take their most memorable role and go through the current top 5-10 male actors and judge whther they would do it any better.

I've done that with the role of rhodes and, imo, Pilato can't be touched. I can't say that about many characters I've seen in film.

sandrock74
12-Feb-2010, 07:02 PM
Christopher Lloyd as Logan. It's pretty much the exact same role as the Doc Brown character he was playing at the same time, only with dead bodies instead of "1.21 gigawatts".

"What the hell is a gigawatt?" :lol:

Griff
14-Feb-2010, 11:54 AM
If you think about it, Joe Pilato's cameo in Dawn was pretty similar to Rhodes. Maybe that is just how he acts when he is in front of the camera. Maybe he wouldn't make a good FlyBoy. :rockbrow:

Have you seen Pilato in EFFECTS? Completely different character type.

JonOfTheShred
18-May-2010, 02:59 AM
I have to agree with the others saying Rhodes is their favorite character that GAR ever created.

shootemindehead
18-May-2010, 10:08 AM

:lol:

Bub...wore...this watch....up his ass....for 5 years.

http://www.gamingwithchildren.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/bubz.jpg

Neil
18-May-2010, 11:03 AM

Or how different his career may have gone if he'd got his role in "Dusk Till Dawn" - http://www.homepageofthedead.com/duskdawn.wmv

DjfunkmasterG
18-May-2010, 11:27 AM
Kurt Russell as Rhodes... That would have been awesome, but No one could replace Joe. Joe brought a lot to that role and made the character iconic.

However, I could easily see a younger Kurt Russell playing Jim Workman from Len Barnharts Reign of the Dead.

In terms of name actors not wanting to do Zombie films, maybe 20 years ago, but a lot of name stars want to do zombie films. Jim Carrey has gone on record for quite some time saying he would love to be in a zombie film, and John Cusack is a huge George Romero fan.

I could easily see Cusack in a non-silly DAWN of the DEAD type Romero flick. In fact if George was to do a modern day update, he could easily play Steven.

Trivia time folks, Did you know when Cusack was in 1408 and signing his books at the book store he signed each book "Stay Scared"

bassman
18-May-2010, 11:36 AM
Trivia time folks, Did you know when Cusack was in 1408 and signing his books at the book store he signed each book "Stay Scared"

Doesn't his character also sign books like that in the film? I've only seen it once and it's been a while, but I seem to remember him mentioning it in the film?:confused:

Cusack in a dead film? Greatest Dead film ever. I'm calling it now.

Trin
18-May-2010, 02:16 PM
"Better Off of the Dead"

shootemindehead
18-May-2010, 04:20 PM
:lol:

RustyHicks
19-May-2010, 08:52 PM
Pilato would have been able to handle the Stephen role,
he would have done well although after so many years of watching
Dawn I just can't pitcure anyone else but David playing Stephen...plus
Pilato would never have been able to pull off that zombie walk of Stephen's

DEAD BEAT
25-May-2010, 03:35 PM

Anyway, thoughts?

j.p.

Edit: Here's a link to said interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyYlPluteyA&NR=1

I don't think it would have been 2 good...we already had 2 hard asses with Roger & Peter we needed the woosey character in the story! good choice 4 Rhodes if Pilato didn't do it! :hyper:

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------

speaking of Joe Pilato i've read that he's gonna b in the new Night of the Living Dead movie...that b interesting maybe now he can blow the dust off his acting career and his underwear and do something great other than Rhodes! btw: 4 a good laugh check out his Wikipedia pic...lmao....he looks like Eddie Van Halen!lol:D:hyper::moon:

darth los
26-May-2010, 08:48 PM
^^^^

He actually does !! :lol:

Good find.

bassman
26-May-2010, 08:55 PM
I don't know about Van Halen...but he looks more like a bum to me. :lol:

And judging by that recent video of him, he's about as crazy as one too.

DEAD BEAT
27-May-2010, 03:49 PM
I don't know about Van Halen...but he looks more like a bum to me. :lol:

And judging by that recent video of him, he's about as crazy as one too.

LMAO! good 1 bassman! that would have been my next guess....someone should tell him 2 lay off the bottle and get his shit 2gether!:stunned::moon:

Other than playing Rhodes Pilato's acting career is as brilliant as the puppets on HR PUFF N' STUFF!!:eek::moon::hyper: