PDA

View Full Version : Survival trailer uber-geekery

krakenslayer
12-Feb-2010, 04:18 PM
Okay, this is very, very sad, but I was just looking at the second (rough, timestamped) Survival trailer and I noticed that the timestamp does not seem to be tracking the progress of the trailer, but the movie itself. In other words, the timestamp shows us the exact point in the film itself that each shot in the trailer is taken from.

This makes sense, because it allows whoever would be editing the final trailer to quickly know exactly which frames from the film to grab, but it also allows a terminal geek like me to piece together a more detailed picture of the film.

So here we go, I'm gonna try and piece together the film using the timestamp and the trailer. I know a couple of you have seen the movie already anyway, this is just a bit of fun, but do let me know how close I got it. MEGA SPOILERS BELOW:

2 minutes: A living soldier has his cheek bitten off by a zombie soldier. Van Sprang raises his pistol to shoot the zombie, but someone else (not shown) blows its head off at point blank range with an assault rifle

3 minutes: Extreme wide establishing shot of the island, probably immediately following on from opening credits
4 minutes: Closer aerial shots of the island. Close up of a zombie being shot in the back of the head. Kenneth Wash is introduced

7 minutes: Kathleen Munroe screams
8 minutes: Shots of zombie children chained to their beds. A man pointing a pistol, closing his eyes, trying not scream with emotion
9 minutes: More shots of zombie kids. Richard Fitzpatrick and his men emerge from the shadows, brandishing weapons at Walsh and crew. Armed stand off between Fitzpatrick and Walsh's men
10 minutes: Tense dialogue exchange between Fitzpatrick and Walsh. "You can't save a person who's already dead".
13 minutes: Fitzpatrick's men, outside, pointing guns

20 minutes: Security truck speeding down the empty highway (presumably containing the National Guard deserters)
21 minutes: Shot of teenage kid inside security truck
22 minutes: Guards, also inside security truck, watch Kenneth Walsh's YouTube broadcast on an iPhone. Van Sprang calls it a scam, the other guy wonders what they have to lose. The kid says "That was not cool" (did they break his iPhone or something?).

25 minutes: Chinese fisherman failling from roof in a zombie's arms
27 minutes: A zombie is exploded (presumably with dynamite) in a cloud of dust and blood
28 minutes: A guard dives into the sea. The kid points a pistol at Van Sprang, but then fires over his shoulder and kills a zombie looming behind him (reference to Land?). Kid says: "I think I'll just hang on to this." A zombie's arm bursts from under the surface in front of the swimming guy.
29 minutes: The guy is pulled under. A zombie is hit by gunfire and sprawls back over the hood of a car
30 minutes: A guard explodes a zombies head with a fire extinguisher
32 minutes: The kid shoots an old man zombie. A crowd of zombies lurch forward. Van Sprang throws a grenade from the roof of the truck. A building explodes
33 minutes: A female zombie eating a fistful of flesh. Welsh plants three taped-together sticks of dynamite in the clutching hand of a zombie reaching around a door.
34 minutes: Zombie stares transfixed at the flame on the fuse, surrounded by many other zeds clawing at the door. Huge explosion. A character jumps, or is thrown by the blast, from a pier onto a small boat. Female guard running.

36 minutes: On board the ferry, Wesh stabs a zombie in the head with a trowel-like implement. Reaction shot of one of the guards watching and eating crisps
38 minutes: A car with a zombie stuck behind the wheel screeches wildly back and forth, out of control. The kid has a lucky escape. The female guard shoots the zed through the windscreen. The car ferry sails off into the night
39 minutes: Van Sprang lights his cigarette on a burning zombie, then kicks it overboard
40 minutes: At dawn, a landing craft leaves the anchored ferry
42 minutes: The guards, the kid, and Kenneth Walsh travelling on foot along a rural dirt track

44 minutes: Van Sprang yelling

46 minutes: Welsh, angry "That bastard!" Welsh marching away from the guard with his pistol drawn and a determined look on his face

48 minutes: Two guys riding horses down a hillside at speed towards the small hamlet. Zombies being herded into a corral. A zombie lunges forward at a character, who non-lethally pins it to the floor with a pitchfork
49 minutes: Fitzpatrick fires his pistol, killing a zombie. A zombie stands over a tethered pig in a field, showing no interest in eating it
50 minutes: Fitzpatrick standing in front of some trees looking grim

(nothing for ten minutes, probably "dialogue" scenes)

61 minutes: Fitzpatrick's "keep them with us" line
62 minutes: Zombie girl on horseback. Man grabs girl and says "it's alright, it's me."...
63 minutes: ...but she's already a zombie, and tries to bite him
64 minutes: "You're about to start world war three"
65 minutes: Walsh, Van Sprang and posse, armed, marching past a house
67 minutes: Shot of a snarling zombie
68 minutes: Female guard chained up. Men holding zombie collars on poles (like those in Day) hold two zombies at bay, inches from her.

70 minutes: Zombies swarming
71 minutes: Kathleen Munroe alone in the woods. A dark shape passes between her and the camera. She startles
72 minutes: Men, taking cover, firing rifles. Zombie legs marching.
75 minutes: Van Sprang runs, firing from the hip, kid and female trooper covering him. Men shooting from behind a flatbed truck. Men shooting from behind some metal boxes.
76 minutes: A man (possibly a zombie) is shot in a field at dusk, collapses against a fence. Zombies lurching forward. Many zombies marching en masse. One of them is shot in the head. A man screams as zombies feast on him.
77 minutes: A man is bitten on the neck. A character rams the barrel of a shotgun into a zombie's eye socket and blows the back of its head off
78 minutes: A man steps in a trap that hoists him off his feet. A zombie drops down from where it was tied in the rafters as a counterweight, dangling next to him, arms clutching.
79 minutes: Kenneth Welsh's line "Does any of this look RIGHT to you!?"
82 minutes: Van Sprang spins around, pistol drawn

84 minutes: Two characters (presumably) Welsh and Fitzpatrick, preparing to pistol duel in the front of the setting moon

I'm not sure whether or not that is the final shot of the film, because IMDB gives the running time as 90 minutes. So there's probably a little bit after.

It doesn't give everything away, but it gives a fair understanding of how the plot plays out. Man, I have too much time on my hands.

SRP76
12-Feb-2010, 04:29 PM
30 minutes: A guard explodes a zombies head with a fire extinguisher

This jumped out at me as "what in fuck...?"

AcesandEights
12-Feb-2010, 06:29 PM
Most interesting post in this subforum in quite some time. Good work, little detective!

http://fbicollector.homestead.com/files/juniordetective.jpg

bassman
12-Feb-2010, 06:38 PM
this is very, very sad

*pats kraken on the back* Yes. Yes it is.:p

I didn't read it because I don't want the flick spoiled, but it's smart of you to figure it all out.

krakenslayer
12-Feb-2010, 06:52 PM
*pats kraken on the back* Yes. Yes it is.:p

I didn't read it because I don't want the flick spoiled, but it's smart of you to figure it all out.

Yes. Yes it is. :lol:

Most interesting post in this subforum in quite some time. Good work, little detective!

http://fbicollector.homestead.com/files/juniordetective.jpg

I shall wear it with pride. :)

krakenslayer
13-Feb-2010, 08:26 PM
One thing that does seem clear from this is that Survival has more action than any of the previous Dead films, Dawn and Land included.

The film pretty much opens with a guy having his face eaten off and a zombie being decapitated, has big 20-minute-long zombie battle with grenades and assault weapons starting before the half-hour mark, and has a big pitched gun battle between two groups of survivors during a large-scale zombie attack which runs pretty much from the seventy minute mark until the film's close.

At worst, it might be a cheese-ball throwaway entry in the series, but at least it doesn't seem to be a boring one, which Diary arguably was.

zombieparanoia
14-Feb-2010, 07:39 AM
You should be working to help find OBL.