PDA

View Full Version : zombie protection.

Billythezombie
12-Feb-2010, 05:21 PM
Any clothing ideas that could help for protecrion against zombies? I say lots of leather, tough boots and a helmet!

fulci fan
12-Feb-2010, 05:26 PM
I always thought the chain mail stuff that divers use would work well. Just wear it under your clothes.

Gemini
12-Feb-2010, 05:26 PM
a lightweight chainmail suit, like the ones worn when swimming with sharks.

clothing at leasts needs to fit tightly, avoid baggy clothing at all costs.

Mike70
12-Feb-2010, 05:34 PM
a couple of ideas:

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/8/9/633854275975297505-zombieprotection.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_l7iHMIlaXmM/SsolIEVJDjI/AAAAAAAABDU/ioMNpWtzMBw/s400/Ace+hw+photo.jpg

i dare even big daddy to bite through this:

http://www.narnia.it/armatura.jpg

SRP76
12-Feb-2010, 05:43 PM
Whatever the material, you need 100% coverage. You can't even let an ear stick out. And it can't be able to be pulled away, either.

I don't know how people would feel about supergluing a kevlar skimask to their faces.

darth los
12-Feb-2010, 05:45 PM
Oops. I thought this was a thread about prophylactics for ghouls.

Nevermind. :shifty:

:cool:

Thorn
12-Feb-2010, 06:04 PM
Whatever the material, you need 100% coverage. You can't even let an ear stick out. And it can't be able to be pulled away, either.

I don't know how people would feel about supergluing a kevlar skimask to their faces.

http://drunkenachura.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/dude-wait-what.jpg

bassman
12-Feb-2010, 06:06 PM
Seeing as how zombies apparently have the strength to rip bodies apart by hand....I don't think anything will help...

AcesandEights
12-Feb-2010, 06:09 PM
For general getting around or traveling, leather or heavy denim would suffice in a non-movie-holy-shit-zombies-for-real event.

Wearing heavier stuff can be done for purpose-specific events (cleaning out a quarantined block), but generally you don't want to sacrifice mobility for the suit of armor overland or in situations you could get swarmed and do not have adequate firepower/support. Likewise, head gear can be nice, but generally contributes to a lack of awareness and that needs to be considered before making any grand statements about the general utility/necessity of headgear.

darth los
12-Feb-2010, 06:13 PM
Seeing as how zombies apparently have the strength to rip bodies apart by hand....I don't think anything will help...

I never got that. In GAr's films they are supposedly listless, like it's an effort for them to even move around. However, when in the proximity of food they get this super strength that the most 'roided up body builders would be jealous of.

Gotta love Gar.

bassman
12-Feb-2010, 06:15 PM
I never got that. In GAr's films they are supposedly listless, like it's an effort for them to even move around. However, when in the proximity of food they get this super strength that the most 'roided up body builders would be jealous of.

Uh huh. Just another thing to point to when people blindly say his films are perfect...

Mike70
12-Feb-2010, 06:16 PM

Gotta love Gar.

i'll stick with my decoys dressed in bacon suits plan. nobody and i mean nobody can say no to bacon.

AcesandEights
12-Feb-2010, 06:20 PM

Well, I'm discounting that craziness for the purpose of my above response. It's like what #SPF are you wearing on the beach during thermonuclear war, right?

So, yeah, my above statements are ignoring the hollywood idea that human teeth, reanimated by unknown means, can bite through certain materials, while still allowing for the reanimation. Call me picayune.

darth los
12-Feb-2010, 06:23 PM
Uh huh. Just another thing to point to when people blindly say his films are perfect...

Are you kidding me!?! Who says that!?! GAr's films are nothing but inconsistencies.

I demand you name names!! :sneaky:

We could make a thread on that topic alone.

As a matter of fact... :shifty:

Trin
12-Feb-2010, 06:37 PM
I blindly say his films are perfect. Except for that one thing. And Land. And Diary. And parts of Night, Dawn, and Day. But otherwise... perfect.

Thorn
12-Feb-2010, 06:40 PM
I always thought that padding like that worn under plate and chain covered by shark mesh might be worth a try. The only thing that really makes me nervous personally is that it has to fasten together someplace and that could be a vulnerability. Same thing with joints that was what was exploited a lot in medevil times.

I would hate to imagine being surrounded and have a horde collapse on me and just have them ripping and tearing at me. I imagine something would give eventually and in the meantime what a way to go. Under the weight of a pile of stinking reanimated drooling...oozing corpses.

Not pretty.

Mike70
12-Feb-2010, 06:42 PM

"got any cigarettes?" "we're trying to make it to the islands."

that's perfection right there.

romero's films, while they might be endearing to us, are anything but perfect.

darth los
12-Feb-2010, 06:48 PM
"got any cigarettes?" "we're trying to make it to the islands."

that's perfection right there.

romero's films, while they might be endearing to us, are anything but perfect.

"You can be boss down there, I'm Boss up here"

"We got this man, we got this by the ass!!"

"Where will you go?"

"What the fuck does a Samoan know about hot-wiring a fucking car?

Pillsbury: 50,000 cars stolen in Samoa every year.

Motown: Well, a million in Detroit.

Pillsbury: Detroit has 50 million cars. Samoa, 50,000. Every one stolen."

If anything Gar's dead films are quote goldmines.

Mike70
12-Feb-2010, 06:57 PM
If anything Gar's dead films are quote goldmines.

true in some cases but i was actually being sarcastic because i think that scene with the cigarette cop is one of the worst things that romero has ever shot.

bassman
12-Feb-2010, 07:00 PM
true in some cases but i was actually being sarcastic because i think that scene with the cigarette cop is one of the worst things that romero has ever shot.

http://matthew.matthewandalicia.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/fistbump-300x243.jpg

Word.

I love the film. But even Helen Keller could see that scene is absolutely horrible...

sandrock74
12-Feb-2010, 07:11 PM
Best thing to wear for protection in a zombie apocalypse?

The Iron Man armor! 'nuff said.

darth los
12-Feb-2010, 07:13 PM

Of course it is, but that doesn't mean it's not a great quote.

And that whole escape to the mall sequence is bad as well.

"Wake up sucker! We're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are. We gotta find our own way."

Or how about the unforgettable: "You never point a gun at anyone mister!! Scary isn't it?"

What.

The.

Fuck.

BillyRay
12-Feb-2010, 07:15 PM
Word.

I love the film. But even Helen Keller could see that scene is absolutely horrible...

Really? I thought that the bit at the end where they tell Officer Friendly that they don't have cigarettes, but are all smoking in the copter at the top of the next scene; was really telling.

The Biker Raiders were right - Peter, Fran & Co. didn't share.

It's one of those jaundiced obsevations about human nature that I dig about Romero.

Mike70
12-Feb-2010, 07:21 PM
Really? I thought that the bit at the end where they tell Officer Friendly that they don't have cigarettes, but are all smoking in the copter at the top of the next scene; was really telling.

It's one of those jaundiced obsevations about human nature that I dig about Romero.

in a situation like that, i'd share my food and water with someone a lot faster than i would ever dip into my tobacco stash.:D

Rancid Carcass
12-Feb-2010, 07:24 PM
i dare even big daddy to bite through this:

http://www.narnia.it/armatura.jpg

He'd probably use a tin opener :D

darth los
12-Feb-2010, 07:26 PM

Oh i agree, they are really telling and actually genius when it comes to observing the human condition.

I think what the point was is that they were horribly acted.

Mike70
12-Feb-2010, 07:27 PM
He'd probably use a tin opener :D

:lol:

yeah, i forgot he's smarter than your average bear.

Billythezombie
13-Feb-2010, 01:43 AM
Ahh I like your ideas about that chainmail stuff or the stuff they wear for swimming with sharks, but i definitely wouldnt wear heavy metal armour! Seriously im a 17 year old girl and my body could barely even take the weight of it ^_^
And furthermore, I wasnt talking about fighting off the zombies per say, but i meant quickly running from one location to the other, making a brisk get away, and i think some leather and a helmet would suffice.

I love the dawn of the dead (04) quote when that boat guy is like "Dead in the sense they all fell down..then got up and started eating each other" or something along those lines :)

deadpunk
13-Feb-2010, 02:32 AM
Where is Andy? I need to borrow his Gimp suit...

capncnut
13-Feb-2010, 09:05 AM
Where is Andy? I need to borrow his Gimp suit...
He's chained up in my cellar, keeping an eye on Butch while I serve Marsellus a serious portion up the brownie. :D

Wyldwraith
13-Feb-2010, 01:33 PM
Hmm,
I've often though my leather trenchcoat would make for excellent incidental protection. Too thick to bite through, not restrictive, harder to keep a hold of than one might think (especially when buttoned), and covers the body from neck to a bit below the knees in a full wraparound.

My old trenchcoat of exactly the same model completely resisted 30 seconds + of a Doberman attempting to gnaw on my arm. Didn't even seriously scuff the coat.

Just a thought.

zombieparanoia
14-Feb-2010, 12:15 AM
I would think motorcycle body armor would work well, its relatively lightwieght and has good strength to protect against most grab and pulls. Combine that with some kind of locking helmet and you're pretty well covered. You could rig up some of the locking clips used on backpacks or carabiners to hold the pieces together for additional pull resistance.

Might not protect you if you plan on wading into a horde of zombies.