PDA

View Full Version : Wwz

Gemini
19-Feb-2010, 11:41 PM
I just finished this book and I am blown away. The massive scope, level of detail, international cultural/sociological/military/scientific relevance, blended with top shelf zombie horror is truly breathtaking. As far as zombie milestones it is the GAR dead series and Max Brooks' books as far as I'm concerned. The zombie in the swamp with entrails wrapped around its neck ringing its victim "like a fucking bell" is an image that stuck with me!

Does everyone love this book as much as I do?

I dug up the following script review, which is a good read in itself. What are the chances this zombie masterpiece is faithfully translated to the big screen??

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3947&Itemid=99

Rancid Carcass
20-Feb-2010, 02:03 AM
I just finished this book and I am blown away. The massive scope, level of detail, international cultural/sociological/military/scientific relevance, blended with top shelf zombie horror is truly breathtaking. As far as zombie milestones it is the GAR dead series and Max Brooks' books as far as I'm concerned.

Those were exactly my thoughts first time I finished it.

Hopefully it will get a decent screen adaptation, last I heard the J.MS script had been canned but that was ages ago, so I get the feeling that it's stuck somewhere in development hell. I suppose his dad could do a version - WWZ: Dead and Loving it. :D

EvilNed
20-Feb-2010, 09:47 AM
I love the book too, and have recommended it and loaned it out to plenty of people. Damn good book!

blind2d
20-Feb-2010, 12:30 PM
Ditto, same here.

SymphonicX
20-Feb-2010, 02:45 PM
I'm gonna buy it on your recommendation...

SRP76
20-Feb-2010, 11:17 PM
The book was alright. But like I said before, there's no way to make it a movie that's really faithful. They don't make 12-hour movies. You can fit one, maybe two "stories" from the book in a 100-110 minute movie.

A miniseries could do it, though. But then you'd run into the problem of fitting it within the censorship standards of television.

Danny
20-Feb-2010, 11:19 PM
the book was good, the audionovel much better though.

EvilNed
20-Feb-2010, 11:22 PM
The book was alright. But like I said before, there's no way to make it a movie that's really faithful. They don't make 12-hour movies. You can fit one, maybe two "stories" from the book in a 100-110 minute movie.

A miniseries could do it, though. But then you'd run into the problem of fitting it within the censorship standards of television.

If BBC and HBO did another Co-producing thing, as they did with Rome, it'd be awesome, though. That series is pretty rough.

SRP76
20-Feb-2010, 11:58 PM
If BBC and HBO did another Co-producing thing, as they did with Rome, it'd be awesome, though. That series is pretty rough.

That would be nice, but I don't think many people would want to do it. They'd figure they could make a lot more money putting the show on network television, and raking in advertising dollars. Which sucks for people who want to see something good.

EvilNed
21-Feb-2010, 12:12 AM
It's a shame, really. WWZ would really only fit on HBO. Or Showtime, but that's only 30 minute episodes. As you said, it'd work best as a mini-series. 12 parter or something like that.

Legion2213
21-Feb-2010, 08:58 PM
Lots of mileage in WWZ, there are more stories to be told than just the contents of the book. I'd love to see a nicely budgetted, well written series.

"Day By Day Armageddon" by "J.L. Bourne" is also a cracking zombie book, I loved it and would recommend it to anybody interested in the genre.

Precinct13
26-Feb-2010, 10:41 PM
What does that mean, a faithful adaptation? Just started reading this book, and of courses there's no way you can crowbar every single mini-story of the book into a motion picture. But that's really not the point of the thing -- the point is to gather all these first-hand experiences from interviews and to puzzle them together to semi-accurately chronicle a supposed-to-have-happened zombie war. There's got to be a way to do that in film to, and the key is likely not a line-by-line adaption of the book, like many a script writer has done, either by suffering from lack of imagination or pressure of fanboy demand or else.

That said, not hot on the film yet. WWZ works on paper as is, but if the people responsible for doing a movie adaptation can do something with the premise in this vastly different medium too, I just might get there one day.

zombieparanoia
27-Feb-2010, 03:59 AM
You might be able to, think of those "tales from the crypt" movies, or the twilight zone movie(s?). You can tell a series of unrelated but similar thread stories in a movie quite well. you just have to do it right or its crap. You pick the handful of really good stories from WWZ and get good writers and don't be the douchey type who complains about "they totally left out the part where the dwarves sing the song to the woodland elves..."

Because frankly IMHO the "small party of survivors against the world" zombie story is getting a bit old and played, lets try something new. And no zombie movie has really dealt with thec broader collapse of society and with modern CGI it might not be that hard to wizard up some zombie hordes at the barricades, again, just get the right people and give them the right budget.