PDA

View Full Version : What TV show boxsets are a must?

DjfunkmasterG
22-Feb-2010, 12:50 PM
I have a semi-ok collection of TV show boxsets and was wondering what other shows are worth owning on DVD/Blu-Ray as boxsets?

Currently I own:

The Wire - Complete Boxset (Just arrived)
The Sopranos - Seasons 1-6 Blu-Ray
True Blood - Season 1 (season 2 on order) - Blu-Ray
Entourage - Seasons 1-5
Dexter Seasons 1-3 Blu-Ray
Knight Rider - Seasons 1-4
CSI: Miami - Seasons 1-3
OZ (Seasons 1-6)

I am not into LOST, Hero, Burn Notice, but is there anything else I am missing that you would consider a must have?

LouCipherr
22-Feb-2010, 02:00 PM
Burn Notice is a must, Dj. It has Bruce Campbell in it, how can you go wrong? It really is a good show. Once of the few I watch religiously.

I have to admit, though, I'm disappointed. You left the best drama ever put on cable/tv off your list: OZ!

Danny
22-Feb-2010, 03:15 PM
twin peaks is a must, the complete battlestar is a LOT of entertaining tv, the buffy and angle boxsets are dirt cheap nowadays and always entertaining, and ive found myself getting really into star trek tng and deep space 9 lately and its not just nostalgia its just nice to have some quality sci-fi since theres none on tv anymore.

Ghost Of War
22-Feb-2010, 03:18 PM
The best thing I have watched for years on TV is Sons Of Anarchy. There's only been 2 seasons so far, but it's bloody good.

AcesandEights
22-Feb-2010, 03:28 PM
For me, the best buys for TV boxed sets have been:

Band of Brothers
Jericho
The Wire (Probably the best series I've ever seen)
The Sopranos (tails off in the latter seasons, though)
BSG
BSG (the original, in all it's beautiful cheesiness!)
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

DjfunkmasterG
22-Feb-2010, 03:31 PM
Burn Notice is a must, Dj. It has Bruce Campbell in it, how can you go wrong? It really is a good show. Once of the few I watch religiously.

I have to admit, though, I'm disappointed. You left the best drama ever put on cable/tv off your list: OZ!

Forgot I had that on DVD... Added to the list.

Legion2213
22-Feb-2010, 04:33 PM
Stuff I have, and couldn't live without (all my series are complete).

Survivors (original)
Day of the Triffids (original)
Farscape
RDM's BSG (looking to uprgrade these to Blu Ray when cash allows)
Babylon 5
Firefly (another one getting upgraded to Blu as soon as)
Stargate SG-1
Stargate SG-A
Sapphire and Steel

Stuff that is on my hit-list...

Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett versions)
Poirot
Rome
Deadwood
Lexx
Stargate SGU
Planet of the Apes
Logans Run
BSG (original and 1980).
Everything "Trek" eventually

AcesandEights
22-Feb-2010, 05:44 PM
Good call Legion! How could I forget about Rome, or for that matter Schama's A History of Britain (http://www.amazon.com/History-Britain-Complete-Collection/dp/B00006RCKI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1266864196&sr=1-1) miniseries!?

blind2d
22-Feb-2010, 05:48 PM
Firefly is pretty good... um... Sliders? X-files... crap, I don't know. I hate TV.

ProfessorChaos
22-Feb-2010, 06:03 PM
my tv box sets include:

mr. show
south park
trailer park boys
generation kill
band of brothers

(all are complete sets)

darth los
22-Feb-2010, 06:10 PM
They have every season of sliders on netfilx's instant queue for free by the way.

The only ones i would pay for is :

x files

seinfeld

alias

:cool:

Danny
22-Feb-2010, 06:13 PM
my tv box sets include:

Mr. Show
south park
trailer park boys
generation kill
band of brothers

(all are complete sets)

fuck.yes.

MinionZombie
22-Feb-2010, 06:20 PM
One of these days I'm gonna get the complete Sopranos (as I've never watched the show, was too late to the party, so I'll do the whole lot as-and-when) and just indulge ... but not yet.

The X-Files - I've got the whole lot, all 9 seasons, on DVD. Had an absolutely epic 9 week orgy of Mulder & Scully awesomeness in the Autumn of 2008.

Band of Brothers - damn straight, that show was superb, and even though I'd already seen it through 3 or 4 times, I still got the DVD and enjoyed the whole damn lot all over again.

24 - dude, where's the Jack Bauer Power Hour in your list? That show is boss as fuck. Season 3 is a bit iffy, and Season 6 is essentially filler, but seasons 1 and 2 are class, and 4 and 5 are OMFGZORZ EPICNESS ... season 7 is pretty good, and season 8 is so far really enjoyable.

Futurama - had a right old orgy of this back in 2005 with all four seasons. One of the funniest animated shows ever made, period.

jded
22-Feb-2010, 07:45 PM
You want a classic?
Twilight Zone: The Complete Definitive Collection
All 156 episodes

Yes it's old but it is a hallmark.
I happened upon season 3 and 5 at the local library and borrowed both.
I used to have thousands and thousands of minutes saved in DVR form back when I had a DVR and SciFi was running a marathon, but since have lost the DVR and all the downloaded episodes.

I don't own the box set but hope to one day. You can find it for about $250 at www.ccvideo.com

Legion2213
22-Feb-2010, 08:05 PM
Hell yes. Rod Serling's fantastic creation is legendary!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_lpwrwngWjNg/SMfT_AgZZVI/AAAAAAAADMM/vvDehMWVpiA/s400/RodSerling.jpg

I, erm, obtained the complete series via the interwebs, I would like to own them on DVD at some stage though.

MikePizzoff
22-Feb-2010, 08:11 PM
I own the following. I know some of you are going to find a couple things questionable :lol: but here they are:

Mr Show With Bob & David - Seasons 1 & 2
Saved By The Bell - Seasons 1 & 2
The X-Files - Seasons 1 & 2
The Twilight Zone - Volume 2
Married With Children - Season 1
Clarissa Explains It All - Season 1
GI Joe - Season 1
Clerks Uncensored - Complete series
The 4400 - Season 1
Arrested Development - Complete series (everyone needs this!)

EDIT: Somehow I forgot: BAND OF BROTHERS

darth los
22-Feb-2010, 08:15 PM
Clarissa Explains It All - Season 1

:rockbrow:

Well, I suppose seeing mellisa Joan Hart's fat ass episode after episode is totally understandable. :p

:cool:

Exatreides
22-Feb-2010, 08:21 PM
Rome
Stargates
Firstwave
Lexx (I love it, sue me)
Masters of horror? Some are better then others, but overall i enjoyed it.
Mcfuckinggoddamniver
Good Vs Evil (Little show they had on sci fi a few years ago that I enjoyed)
Scrubs is always a must. Always, Always.

MinionZombie
22-Feb-2010, 08:25 PM
*high five* for Clerks Uncensored. A real shame that show got canned with only 6 produced episodes. :(

I've got the first four seasons of Married With Children, but they're not particularly easy to come by, in the UK at least, which is annoying ... and expensive to import. :(

Woo, Saved by the Bell! Classic ... I'd probably cringe if I was to watch whole episodes now, but I retain the fond memories. And dude, get the rest of the X-Files saga ... seriously.

hehe, totally missed Clarissa Explains It All ... classic ... I'll add that I watched that as a kid when it was on TV over here ... mainly because she was fit when I was that age too ... ... and that male friend of hers always laddering his way in through her bedroom window always made me laugh.

In the real world the father would have beaten his ass to death as they'd have probably been up to no good teenager experiments. :lol:

Andy
22-Feb-2010, 08:58 PM
i dont think most americans would know of most of the boxsets i have, apart from futurama and the simpsons (have every futurama and the simpsons series 1-12, bash it all you like but i like the early years) But my humour is very british.. Complete boxsets i own are :

Red Dwarf (best TV show ever made.)
One Foot in the Grave (Second best TV show ever made)
Peep Show
Black books
Father Ted
Im Alan Partridge
The League of Gentlemen
Blackadder
Still game
Rab C Nesbitt

Legion2213
22-Feb-2010, 09:04 PM
i dont think most americans would know of most of the boxsets i have, apart from futurama and the simpsons (have every futurama and the simpsons series 1-12, bash it all you like but i like the early years) But my humour is very british.. Complete boxsets i own are :

One Foot in the Grave (Second best TV show ever made)
Peep Show
Black books
Father Ted
Im Alan Partridge
The League of Gentlemen
Blackadder
Still game
Rab C Nesbitt

You are obviously a man of taste! Of the series you listed, I own...

Black books
Im Alan Partridge
The League of Gentlemen
Blackadder

I also have...

Spaced
Bottom
Brass Eye
The Day Today
The Young Ones

Andy
22-Feb-2010, 09:12 PM

Black books
Im Alan Partridge
The League of Gentlemen
Blackadder

I also have...

Spaced
Bottom
Brass Eye
The Day Today
The Young Ones

Bottom i forgot about bottom!

Have got series 1-3 and a couple of the live shows but not all of them, lent that to a friend a while ago and never got it back... well reminded sir :)

Danny
22-Feb-2010, 09:16 PM

Black books
Im Alan Partridge
The League of Gentlemen
Blackadder

I also have...

Spaced
Bottom
Brass Eye
The Day Today
The Young Ones

got all of these myself, but lost my brass eye disks in my recent move, damn that was annoying to open an empty case.:mad:

jded
22-Feb-2010, 09:30 PM
Hell yes. Rod Serling's fantastic creation is legendary!

Yes. And they haven't seemed to lose their potency after all these years.

I don't know about you but I've found, and this is purely my own opinion, that I favor the episodes written by those other than Serling.

bassman
22-Feb-2010, 09:32 PM
The few TV DVDs that I own are..

Monty Python's Flying Circus 16 ton Series Set
Most of Mystery Science Theater 3000 that is available(sadly...they have no series set)
Spaced R1
Ren and Stimpy
Clerks Series
The Munsters
The Real Ghostbusters
Chappelle's Show
Strangers With Candy

I like to laugh, I guess....

jded
22-Feb-2010, 09:36 PM
The few TV DVDs that I own are..

Monty Python's Flying Circus 16 ton Series Set
Most of Mystery Science Theater 3000 that is available(sadly...they have no series set)
Spaced R1
Ren and Stimpy
Clerks Series
The Munsters
The Real Ghostbusters
Chappelle's Show
Strangers With Candy

I like to laugh, I guess....

Oh hell yeah! I love me some Chappelle Show.
"I'm raach, biaaatch!"

Andy
22-Feb-2010, 10:52 PM
Just glancing at my DVD collection and have noticed i missed the fast show off that list aswell, have the complete boxset and the fast show is so legendary on so many levels, apologies for missing it..

Danny
22-Feb-2010, 11:29 PM
Just glancing at my DVD collection and have noticed i missed the fast show off that list aswell, have the complete boxset and the fast show is so legendary on so many levels, apologies for missing it..

i swear i actually know someone who will watch an entire episode of the fast show and not laugh once. thats just criminal. fast show is like 30 rock, you cant NOT laugh at least once.

zombie04
22-Feb-2010, 11:41 PM
I'd recommend the first twelve seasons of the Simpsons. It was one of the first shows put on dvd and starting with season 4 I believe every episode has a commentary and most have deleted scenes which many I have trouble seeing why they were cut except for time constraints.

Of course Futurama and South Park's are a must if you're into those shows like I am, plus I have the whole series of the Critic which I still enjoy. ER seasons 1 and 2 are good since Spielberg and Crichton were very involved in the development.

Unfortunately I have a few shows I like but I'm not proud of on dvd (Miami Vice:confused:) and the many HBOs that are great. I've still yet to see Deadwood but I am curious.

MikePizzoff
23-Feb-2010, 11:36 AM
Mcfuckinggoddamniver

:lol: Never heard of this one...

I've got the first four seasons of Married With Children, but they're not particularly easy to come by, in the UK at least, which is annoying ... and expensive to import. :(

I got season 1 for $3, in good condition, from Gamestop. One of the best values I've EVER gotten there. (I believe this same purchase also included Anthrax's 'Attack Of The Killer B's' and Megadeth's 'Countdown To Extinction', each for $1.99.) I've never seen any of the other seasons in person, however I have seen them online - but never for under $22 [new]. :mad:

LouCipherr
23-Feb-2010, 01:01 PM
Spaced

THIS!

If you don't own this, you need it. Now.

I can't believe I forgot about Spaced - probably one of my all-time favorite shows. I even imported the UK version before the US version was released. Still no idea why Kevin Smith does a commentary on the US version, but alas, don't care as long as I own the series. :D

DjfunkmasterG
23-Feb-2010, 02:26 PM
Not a Spaced fan... I honestly don't see the appeal of the show, yet I enjoy Shaun of the Dead.

Go Figure.

bassman
23-Feb-2010, 03:02 PM
That is strange. It's hard for me to picture a movie geek such as yourself not liking Spaced. I mean....the entire show is one long comedic list of movie references. Maybe you prefer Shaun just because it has zombies?

DjfunkmasterG
23-Feb-2010, 04:12 PM
Most likely... as I am not a fan of Hot Fuzz

Danny
23-Feb-2010, 04:22 PM
Most likely... as I am not a fan of Hot Fuzz

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/FAIL-Cats-We-shall-decide.jpg
i love hot fuzz and its generally a much better made film than shaun, it did action just right and got me hopeful that Edgar could get Cera's ass actually acting in Scott Pilgrim vs the world.

bassman
23-Feb-2010, 04:28 PM
get Cera's ass actually acting

I wouldn't hold my breath, if I were you.

But yeah....Hot Fuzz is great. In fact, all of Wright's work has been great so far.

DjfunkmasterG
23-Feb-2010, 04:30 PM
I found HF to just be a re-hash of Shaun without zombies, and from what I hear from Spaced fans Shaun is mostly a re-hash of Spaced.

MinionZombie
23-Feb-2010, 04:38 PM
While I don't think Hot Fuzz is as good a film as Shaun of the Dead, in that it's overlong and indulgent ... it's still really funny, and has a cool premise - essentially Bad Boys 2, Lethal Weapon, et al ... in semi-rural England. :D

Shaun is god-like, nuff said.

Spaced is seriously awesome, but it's more than just a list of movie references. I didn't see it when it originally aired, but got into it on DVD, and I think it speaks loudest to those in their 20s. It's a funky, creative, and breathless take on the traditional British sitcom, and indeed it became something unto itself ... in a school of one, and is still a stand-out show.

bassman
23-Feb-2010, 04:44 PM
Spaced is seriously awesome, but it's more than just a list of movie references. I didn't see it when it originally aired, but got into it on DVD, and I think it speaks loudest to those in their 20s. It's a funky, creative, and breathless take on the traditional British sitcom, and indeed it became something unto itself ... in a school of one, and is still a stand-out show.

I wasn't trying to put it down with the reference statement. Although you've got to admit that it's probably got more references than any show in history.:p

Probably the greatest thing about Spaced is that it portrayed 20 to 30somethings in a correct light. The characters were like all the 20 year olds I know or knew at the time. Tim and Daisy talked like we did and lived like we did. For the most part, anyway. It wasn't some bullshit watered down version of people like Friends.

As for Spaced/Shaun/Fuzz being rehashes of each other.....I definitely don't see that. Same creative team but the stories and characters are all totally different...

MinionZombie
23-Feb-2010, 04:50 PM
Aye, didn't think you were putting it down - in fact I knew you wouldn't be - but was just saying for the benefit of those who haven't seen it.

Yeah, for all Spaced's weirdness and action and so on, it really does feel like what its like to be a 20-something, or parts of it do anyway, with the rest being rather entertaining. I guess a whole range of people can relate to all different aspects of it.

Indeed, one of the main purposes in Shaun of the Dead, was to picture a guy (Shaun) at the point he goes from being a 20-something childish adult, to a 30 year old adult ... albeit in the frame of a zombie apocalypse. Indeed, the death of Nick Frost's character represents the death of his childish 20's ... ... I wrote a whole essay about these issues at uni actually, covering Swingers and Shaun of the Dead. :)

SRP76
24-Feb-2010, 12:20 AM
Get The Man's Boxset of Home Improvement.

DjfunkmasterG
24-Feb-2010, 12:12 PM
good call. I love that show and always watch reruns.

LouCipherr
24-Feb-2010, 05:19 PM
Not a Spaced fan... I honestly don't see the appeal of the show, yet I enjoy Shaun of the Dead.

That's because you've never sat down and watched the show even thought I've tried to get you to do so on many occasions, you dunce. :lol:

It's how you say Hot Fuzz wasn't as great as Shaun 'cause the jokes were the same - well, many of the jokes and gags in Shaun were basically pulled from Spaced. Spaced is the foundation for these two flicks for sure.

Tell you what, I'll watch The Wire when you watch Spaced. :p

MZ - not sure about that "speaks loudest to those in their 20s" - Maybe so, but dude, I'm 38 and I think Spaced was side-splittingly funny. :D

bassman
24-Feb-2010, 05:32 PM
That's because you've never sat down and watched the show even thought I've tried to get you to do so on many occasions, you dunce. :lol:

OHHH! The truth is finally revealed.:lol:

Gary's hating just to hate...

MinionZombie
24-Feb-2010, 05:34 PM
Aye fair play, it speaks to a lot of people. Heck, my dad really enjoyed Spaced, and he's in his sixties. :cool:

LouCipherr
24-Feb-2010, 05:37 PM
Then again, maybe it only 'speaks' to me because I can directly relate to the 'slacker' aspect of the show.

Wait, did I just say that out loud? :lol:

AcesandEights
24-Feb-2010, 05:38 PM
Tell you what, I'll watch The Wire when you watch Spaced. :p

I'll take you up on that, if you're game. I think The Wire is a must-see for so many reasons. Even if you might not like the run of the mill crime drama, the authenticity of the series, based primarily on the real life backgrounds of the writers, coupled with the characters and the way the plots move make the it a stand-out experience and nothing like the current investigative crime dramas currently glutting televison

You just have to watch it with the subtitles on (seriously). :)

I've been meaning to see Spaced, so technically this could work out well for all involved.

MinionZombie
24-Feb-2010, 05:40 PM
OHHH! The truth is finally revealed.:lol:

Gary's hating just to hate...

:elol::D

Then again, maybe it only 'speaks' to me because I can directly relate to the 'slacker' aspect of the show.

Wait, did I just say that out loud? :lol:

http://application.denofgeek.com/images/gb/teach/ms.jpg
Damn slackers!

:D

LouCipherr
24-Feb-2010, 05:46 PM
Dj may have watched Spaced since my badgering of him to watch it a long while back, I dunno, but I tried like hell to get him to watch it and he never relented. Dj? You wanna comment on this one? :D

Dj has been trying to convince me that The Wire was better than HBO's series "Oz" (my favorite drama of all time - I love that f'ing show and have re-watched the entire series at least 4 times now) - somehow, I'm not sure if that's possible, although I'll reserve my opinion until I have actually watched it. Until then, Oz is still #1 on my 'drama' list.

He just gave me all 5 seasons of The Wire on DVD to watch this past weekend, but I'll be honest, that show has been so hyped to me it's going to be hard for it to live up to the expectations I have for it now.

If I can get Dj to watch a few epsiodes of Spaced, i'll start on The Wire. It might be the only way we can get him into Spaced! :lol: I know he'll like it, he just has to give it a few episodes so he can get into the story arc of the show. It's great stuff if you liked Shaun & Hot Fuzz.

Aces - ok, I might just do that. I have a lot of stuff to watch at home (my Tivo is full!) but, I will watch an episode or two next week and see how it grabs me. I'll report back on my opinion, but you're gonna have to get a few epsiodes of Spaced in too. ;)

Oh, an touche', MZ! Damn slackers! :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
25-Feb-2010, 10:36 PM
I tried watching a few episodes and it just didn't grab me. I don't know why, but I just didn't get into any of it.... but if you WATCH The Wire I promise to give Spaced another try.

LouCipherr
26-Feb-2010, 12:24 PM
How can you like Shaun and not Spaced? It's essentially the same damn thing but with zombies! :lol: Perhaps you need to be in the right mindset. <ahem>

I told you, I will watch the first few episodes of The Wire next week, but I won't watch anymore no matter how good it is unless you and AcesandEights work in a few episodes of Spaced.

Deal? *extends virtual hand for virtual handshake*

DjfunkmasterG
26-Feb-2010, 01:30 PM
I will give it another try... God knows I have enough VITAMIN V laying around to help set the mood.

LouCipherr
26-Feb-2010, 05:12 PM
That would certianly help. :D

MinionZombie
26-Feb-2010, 05:34 PM
Deal? *extends virtual hand for virtual handshake*

Not in connection with this deal you guys are making, or even this conversation, but I couldn't resist from typing the following:

*extends virtual penis for virtual handjob*

:sneaky:

Sex on the brain ... that's me.

LouCipherr
26-Feb-2010, 06:40 PM
:stunned:

*grabs MZ's virtual penis and rips it off*

That'll teach you to be a smartass! :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
26-Feb-2010, 06:47 PM
I don't think that was the handjob he was looking for... OUCH! :lol:

MinionZombie
26-Feb-2010, 09:04 PM
:stunned:

*grabs MZ's virtual penis and rips it off*

That'll teach you to be a smartass! :lol:

I don't think that was the handjob he was looking for... OUCH! :lol:

:eek:

I'm gonna have nightmares from this thread ... it's come over all I Spit On Your Grave! :stunned::dead:

And my arse is of only average intelligence ... but is certainly vocal ... BOOM-BOOM! :sneaky::D

RustyHicks
07-Mar-2010, 06:13 PM
I have strange taste

Star Trek TOS all 3 seasons
Star Trek TNG all 7 seasons
Dukes of Hazzard all 7 seasons
V the tv series
GI Joe 2 seasons
Smallville 8 seasons
The Simpsons 12 seasons
And Magnum PI
Miami Vice