PDA

View Full Version : Scammers

strayrider
23-Feb-2010, 12:38 AM
My wife received an email today from one of her friends who is apparently stranded in London after being robbed. this friend is asking that my wife send her $3500 so she can get home.

Funny thing is, my wife called this friend on the phone and she is not in London. She is here in Ohio.

Anyway, this email "friend" wants the cash sent to an address on Globe Rd., Stephey Green, London. I looked it up on Google maps and it appears to be a mixture of row houses and apartments. It is actually fairly close to Hackney where our friend who works for Scotland Yard lives.

Anyone in London familiar with this area?

:D

-stray-

Publius
23-Feb-2010, 12:49 AM
Anyway, this email "friend" wants the cash sent to an address on Globe Rd., Stephey Green, London. I looked it up on Google maps and it appears to be a mixture of row houses and apartments. It is actually fairly close to Hackney where our friend who works for Scotland Yard lives.

Anyone in London familiar with this area?

-stray-

Yeah!! Get some Brit HPotDers together to go give the culprits what-for!! :p

SRP76
23-Feb-2010, 12:51 AM
The Romero Posse, keepin' shit straight.:p

Danny
23-Feb-2010, 01:12 AM
The Romero Posse, keepin' shit straight.:p

just as long as we dont start going round dressed and acting like ICP.:dead:

SBEADER
23-Feb-2010, 02:15 AM
Gotta love internet larceny ...

SymphonicX
23-Feb-2010, 10:07 AM
I grew up in East London so know Hackney, Walthamstow, Wood Green etc very well...
lot of dodgy people there, no doubt this is one end of a fraud ring, probably an empty house where they collect fraudulent money or dish out emails like this one...

Chic Freak
23-Feb-2010, 10:53 AM
Hackney sucks. It's a crappy area.

Tricky
23-Feb-2010, 11:31 AM
Aye dont go calling round, no doubt some massive Nigerian or Somali will answer the door! they usually operate those scams!

AcesandEights
23-Feb-2010, 01:37 PM
just as long as we dont start going round dressed and acting like ICP.:dead:

Nope, just acting like Philly SWAT will suffice :D

slickwilly13
23-Feb-2010, 02:42 PM
Maybe you should set them up on a date with the local police or at least have fun with them.

krakenslayer
23-Feb-2010, 02:53 PM
Your wife's friend's email account must be hacked to shit.If she's not done so already, she should change her email password and all her other passwords for different sites, because if they have got into her email account it's ridiculously easy to get all her other passwords, including internet banking, etc.

strayrider
23-Feb-2010, 05:58 PM
Aye dont go calling round, no doubt some massive Nigerian or Somali will answer the door! they usually operate those scams!

Based on the lousy syntax and grammar, that's what I figured too; however, my wife said that it is "racist" to think such things. She believes that it is some naughty British schoolboy sending the emails.

Your wife's friend's email account must be hacked to shit.If she's not done so already, she should change her email password and all her other passwords for different sites, because if they have got into her email account it's ridiculously easy to get all her other passwords, including internet banking, etc.

She already has Yahoo! working on the case. What I think happened is that someone got a hold of a list of Yahoo! email usernames and passwords and are sending this scam out via their contact lists. They are probably doing it in alphabetical order seeing as how her initials are A. A.. She is one of the "band mothers" (HS Marching Band) and thus far everyone on her contact list has received a similar email.

Right now I'm showing my wife how to send this "friend" on a wild goose chase--like telling them that she has wired the cash to a Western Union office in Hammersmith, for example. :lol:

-stray-

kortick
23-Feb-2010, 06:24 PM
thats good stray

I would have responded saying that I was
in jail in london myself and come visit me.

'once my lawyer proves i didnt rape all those kids
and steal that prosthetic leg we can both leave'

yeah say ' i sent the money. u didnt get it?'

AcesandEights
23-Feb-2010, 06:28 PM
Right now I'm showing my wife how to send this "friend" on a wild goose chase--like telling them that she has wired the cash to a Western Union office in Hammersmith, for example. :lol:

Ooh! Updates would be appreciated!

krakenslayer
23-Feb-2010, 06:34 PM
Based on the lousy syntax and grammar, that's what I figured too; however, my wife said that it is "racist" to think such things. She believes that it is some naughty British schoolboy sending the emails.

I don't think it's racist to say that scammer gangs usually have Nigerian connections, because even the Nigerian authorities admit it's a massive problem there. It's like saying Mob crimes often have Italian connections - it's true. Sure, not ALL internet scammers are Nigerian, but usually British and American internet crime gangs are built around the use of trojans to gain access to financial accounts, whereas the African gangs tend to use blanket-spamming. It's just the way those gangs are organised, it's not a racial thing.

She already has Yahoo! working on the case. What I think happened is that someone got a hold of a list of Yahoo! email usernames and passwords and are sending this scam out via their contact lists. They are probably doing it in alphabetical order seeing as how her initials are A. A.. She is one of the "band mothers" (HS Marching Band) and thus far everyone on her contact list has received a similar email.

-stray-

Haha, you ever check out that Scambaiter site? :lol:

darth los
23-Feb-2010, 07:26 PM
I don't think it's racist to say that scammer gangs usually have Nigerian connections, because even the Nigerian authorities admit it's a massive problem there. It's like saying Mob crimes often have Italian connections - it's true. Sure, not ALL internet scammers are Nigerian, but usually British and American internet crime gangs are built around the use of trojans to gain access to financial accounts, whereas the African gangs tend to use blanket-spamming. It's just the way those gangs are organised, it's not a racial thing.

I'll make it short and sweet.

Stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason. Nuff said.

:cool:

krakenslayer
23-Feb-2010, 07:40 PM
I'll make it short and sweet.

Stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason. Nuff said.

:cool:

Ah, but the problem with stereotypes is that they are two-way (hence stereo) but there's a difference between thinking "most scammers are Nigerian" and thinking "most Nigerians are scammers".

Don't make me draw a Venn diagram! :D

strayrider
24-Feb-2010, 06:21 AM
My wife spoke with our friend from Scotland Yard this morning. He told her the same thing that I did except that he said the scammers are probably African--not specifically Nigerian, mind you. My wife apologized for the "racist" remark and cleaned the dogshit off of my Klan costume.

Meanwhile, Scotland Yard--without he or I ever speaking on the matter--also suggested informing the scammer that the cash had been sent to the Western Union office in Hammersmith. :lol: Great minds (both British and American) think alike.

I like the Hammersmith idea, but I think I have a better one. In her last email my wife informed her "friend" that she had to wait for her husband (me) to return from a business trip out of state before she could send any money. I will then write a scathing letter to the "friend" accusing her of lying about being robbed when she really spent all of that money on her chav boyfriend--buying him drugs, new clothing, gold chains, etc.

I will then inform the "friend" that if she really needs the money to get home, she is going to have to "get up off of her lazy ass" and visit all eight or nine Western Union offices in the London area because there is $2000 with her name on it at one of them. This "office" has my contact info and will call me promptly when she arrives. She'll have 72 hours to comply before Western Union sends the "money" back to me.

If the scammer falls for this, I'll start posting the emails here (for amusement purposes only).

-stray-

SymphonicX
24-Feb-2010, 09:31 AM

-stray-

You know that's a great idea....awesome....
Maybe Hammersmith is a bit close though, still on the commuter trail you could make it there in less than an hour...
I'd say Hertfordshire, not too far away to be unbelievable...and a good few miles out of London...hard to get to and expensive too...! You could even further incentivise them by adding "I know its far away but we've included the cost of a cab too"

MikePizzoff
24-Feb-2010, 09:54 AM
A lot of these scams are made by Nigerians. Nigerians who live in Nigeria. The chances of you having someone actually in the UK running your scam are pretty slim. So, I dunno if you'll actually be making this person go on a wild goose chase.

Publius
24-Feb-2010, 11:16 AM
A lot of these scams are made by Nigerians. Nigerians who live in Nigeria. The chances of you having someone actually in the UK running your scam are pretty slim. So, I dunno if you'll actually be making this person go on a wild goose chase.

Except they asked for cash to be sent to a London address, rather than a wire transfer to a bank account.

krakenslayer
24-Feb-2010, 11:32 AM

A lot of the more organised scammer gangs have international connections, and London has a massive Nigerian community. Although the guys that reap the benefits of the scam will likely be based in Nigeria, they use addresses and errand boys based in places like Britain and the US to keep any mention of Nigeria out of their dealings with their victims (because people are starting to get wise to that). British "Yardie" gangs are often involved in this kinda thing.

AcesandEights
24-Feb-2010, 02:07 PM
British "Yardie" gangs are often involved in this kinda thing.

Damn, I knew modern British crime dramas would teach me everything I needed to know about the seedy underbelly of London's nefarious criminal world and the illegal, yet often amusing shenanigans they get up to.

MikePizzoff
24-Feb-2010, 08:09 PM
A lot of the more organised scammer gangs have international connections, and London has a massive Nigerian community. Although the guys that reap the benefits of the scam will likely be based in Nigeria, they use addresses and errand boys based in places like Britain and the US to keep any mention of Nigeria out of their dealings with their victims (because people are starting to get wise to that). British "Yardie" gangs are often involved in this kinda thing.

Hm, well then... send them on that chase!

I've decided to start messing with scammers, based on this thread. :D

I already talked to one whom was offering me $2,500,000 from a will. I talked to them a couple of times then informed them that "I don't want money, though - can't I just have world peace?" ... of course I never heard back. I'm going to have to get more extreme and do what you're doing - sending them to places for no reason.

darth los
24-Feb-2010, 08:38 PM
Ah, but the problem with stereotypes is that they are two-way (hence stereo) but there's a difference between thinking "most scammers are Nigerian" and thinking "most Nigerians are scammers".

Don't make me draw a Venn diagram! :D

And YOU don't make me go to wikipedia and find out what in the fuck that is !! :lol: