PDA

View Full Version : Whats your top 5 season of hour long drama tv?

Danny
25-Feb-2010, 09:58 PM
Dj's box set thread got me thinking about all those hour long dramas i have box sets of, like buffy, lost, battlestar ect. so i thought id take it a bit further and ask what your top 5 seasons of tv are. not 5 of one show, but the 5 televised hour long sci-fi/comedy/romance/horror drama show seasons that you could watch on there own and love it regardless.

For example, in no order:

Buffy the Vampire slayer season 4: Why?, Buffy's left high school and the cliche' angel romance behind and gone on to college, and the hellmouth fun has followed, add in a secret military unit operating out the school capturing demons, spikes return as a character and not a two bit villain and my all time favourite episode "hush" which was filmed entirely in silence with no dialogue and youve got a hell of an entertaining season of tv.

Twin Peaks season 1: imagine the soap operas of the early 90's that your grandparents watched in the middle of the day, add a dash of x files, some max payne address unknown, blue velvet and a bit of 50's noir murder mystery and you have a david lynch creation that was an experiment in something new, granted the 2nd season and the tie in film were crap, but this stand alone series is just superb, from acting to direction, or location and soundtrack this series was cool, like the pulp fiction of tv. i watch the series every 6 months or so and its the kind of stuff that reminds me why i studied film.
i know its tv, but when you watch it youll understand.

Lost season 2: It took a LONG fucking time to get into lost for me, i still dont think they knew exactly what they were doing for the whole first season. However season 2 (and ive only just started season 4 mind you) was the height of the show thus far for me. The introduction of the others as an actual antagonist with a face and desmond in his hatch and you have engaging, character driven survival drama that entertains you instead of just trying to add random shit for no reason like the first season did.

Star Trek The Next Generation season 4: Ive been rewatching this and it was a great bit of sci-fi, the characters finally got some progression in the show and started on the 2nd part of a huge cliff hanger with picard assimilated into the borg. It doesnt have all the best episodes of the show, but it was the time when it became acceptable for a sci-fi show to have as much character progression in it and not just be a freak of the week genre anymore.

Heroes season 1: Boy this show whent bad and i am very glad they finally took it behind the shed and shot it, but man, when it was the x men it was so, so good!
The beginning of peter (parker) petrelli discovering his powers and the happenstance that brings all these unlikely folks together to stop new york going nuclear and you had prime water cooler convo starting telivision.
again, like twin peaks, it got bad, but this episode was great and the later seasons cant scratch that.

-honorable mentions to battlestar, x files, and farscape to name a few, whilst they were all bitchin' show consistently, i just cant pinpoint one season where i think "man that season was goddam great"

now you-

DjfunkmasterG
25-Feb-2010, 10:31 PM
The Wire

Law and Order

The Sopranos

Dexter

OZ

Danny
25-Feb-2010, 10:38 PM
but what seasons dj, WHAT SEASONS?!?

clanglee
26-Feb-2010, 01:04 AM
Hmmmm. . . in no real order

Carnivale season 1 - just a wonderful weird show that sucked you in and moved you around it's tongue for a good long time before swallowing you.

Weeds season 1- hilarious show

Six Feet Under season 1 : What an amazing show. . .just full of humanity.

Dexter season 1 and 4 tie: fresh exciting and awesome.

Heroes Season 1: Best live action Superhero show ever. . . although it did get worse season 4 redeemed it somewhat, and I am hoping that . . .if they continue it. . .with the way season 4 ended they will now have superheroes, out in open. Doing superhero stuff.

Danny
26-Feb-2010, 01:18 AM
Hmmmm. . . in no real order

Carnivale season 1 - just a wonderful weird show that sucked you in and moved you around it's tongue for a good long time before swallowing you.

Weeds season 1- hilarious show

Six Feet Under season 1 : What an amazing show. . .just full of humanity.

Dexter season 1 and 4 tie: fresh exciting and awesome.

Heroes Season 1: Best live action Superhero show ever. . . although it did get worse season 4 redeemed it somewhat, and I am hoping that . . .if they continue it. . .with the way season 4 ended they will now have superheroes, out in open. Doing superhero stuff.

fuck yes, i forgot about carnivale, just thinking that the guy dropped out to make his big break in terminator 3 boggles the mind.

Mr.G
26-Feb-2010, 03:07 AM
1. The Sopranos - Season 3
2. Seinfeld - Season 5
3. Star Trek DS9 - Season 7
4. Bob Newhart Show - Season 2
5. Curb Your Enthusiasm - Season 1

It's hard picking a favorite. I would watch every season of each series on a continuous loop if I could.

CoinReturn
26-Feb-2010, 03:18 AM
Good choices so far guys. I'll add Mystery Science Theater: Season VIII to the list. So many classic episodes:

- Prince of Space
- Invasion of the Neptune Men
- Space Mutiny
- Overdrawn at the Memory Bank
- Time Chasers

Rome: Season II was also some of the best television ever, shame we'll never get the full story as it was meant to be told.

Edit: Well, I suppose MST3k doesn't count as "hour long drama tv", but it's still awesome.

clanglee
26-Feb-2010, 10:07 AM
Good choices so far guys. I'll add Mystery Science Theater: Season VIII to the list. So many classic episodes:

Ick!! Any episode after Joel left was just no good for me. Mike sucked.

mista_mo
26-Feb-2010, 10:58 AM
melrose place

DjfunkmasterG
26-Feb-2010, 11:26 AM
but what seasons dj, WHAT SEASONS?!?

The Wire - Seasons 1 & 2

OZ - Seasons 1-4

Law and Order Seasons 1-5

Dexter - Seasons 1 & 4

The Sopranos - Seasons 2 & 3

Mike70
26-Feb-2010, 06:07 PM
star trek enterprise - season 4. augments, the vulcan reformation, and romulans. enough said.

star trek TNG: season 5. the episode "the inner light" alone would put this on the list. that ep is the single greatest bit of sci-fi ever- movie or tv.

boris karloff's thriller - season 2. the best horror anthology show ever. period.

night gallery - season 2. rod serling's follow up to twilight zone. the second season features two well done lovecraft eps ("pickman's model" and "cool air") and some of the smartest horror/sci-fi ever to appear on tv.

survivors - series 1. the 70s version not that piece of shit remake. this is the king of all post apoc tv.

shootemindehead
26-Feb-2010, 08:21 PM
Rome Series 1
The Wire Series 1
Sopranos Any series
Dexter Series 1 (went seriously downhill after)

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

- Prince of Space
- Invasion of the Neptune Men
- Space Mutiny
- Overdrawn at the Memory Bank
- Time Chasers

Rome: Season II was also some of the best television ever, shame we'll never get the full story as it was meant to be told.

Edit: Well, I suppose MST3k doesn't count as "hour long drama tv", but it's still awesome.

HA! 'Space Mutiny'

I love that film.

Starring "Big Mclarge Huge".