PDA

View Full Version : Just watched [rec]2

Danny
27-Feb-2010, 12:37 AM
-And bugger me thats an entertaining flick!

Theres not too much to say about rec2, its like the 2nd half of a full film, and considering this one is just over 80 mins, and the first was around 60 i guess that is a length of a hollywood flick nowadays.

Basically it does some things a bit different to keep it from getting stale. Off the bat we find out in the first few minutes that it really is some sort of demon in the pale woman in the dark penthouse and it controls the zombies through the blood, given that it comes out as a fully supernatural flick we can be spooked in new ways. like the creepy attic kid crawling along the ceiling, or the demon speaking through its zombie puppets. Dont get put off though, its never truly in your face, its still very much the same story.
It just answers some of the questions from the first.
The film is paced in some ways better than the first, in others not so much. Its a bit overlong for the payoff, but at the same time theres less running and screaming and much more dialogue and character interaction.

Plot wise its not straight continuity and its taken a page out of cloverfields book. at a midway point the swat team investigating the "virus" break there camera and we know from earlier some kids broke in with a handycam. this then cuts to there story, picking up at the start of the first film, chronologically speaking, and using sounds and lighting and even cameos from the cast of the first it ties all 3 cameras perspectives into one solid narrative. In fact i was kind of surprised how well they got it all to gel together since this is technically a series of films in real time.

The effects are tame enough on the whole, but they do need to use some CGI towards the final 20 minutes, but they need too. This aint george luxas, throwing it in because he can, this is used at points where it is an actual necessity.
Though there is a bit with a firework thats pretty spectacular.

Though the long and short of it is, is it scary? sort of, in the same sense as the original. Honestly i would give it the title of "cringy" instead. Scary films scare you, cringy films make you cringe and lean back in your seat.
Think back to the nightvision finale' of the first, yeah, its like that for a lot fo the movies supernatural scenes.
I found myself never jumping in my seat, and thats because they didnt use a lot of movie bullshit in this. Case in point there is a bit where a guy with a helmet cam near the start crawls through a vent shaft. he looks to the right for a LONG time and looks ahead again, and you know what?

theres no zombie waiting in front of him.

Of course some appear, the attic kids, to chase him down the shaft, but the mere fact that they had them appear naturally when they had ample time to set up that cliche' alternative and i can commend this film for being a FILM, not a movie. It could have easily been cookie cutter cliche's but they choose not to, but to work harder and go the distance to make that rare thing in modern times.

A capable, scary, well written horror film.

and i really liked it.

clanglee
27-Feb-2010, 02:38 AM
Awesome. . .I need to see this film. . . I loved the first. . and even quite liked the remake. When did it come out?

Danny
27-Feb-2010, 02:46 AM
Awesome. . .I need to see this film. . . I loved the first. . and even quite liked the remake. When did it come out?

dont know, i found a *ahem* dodgy way to watch it:sneaky:

clanglee
27-Feb-2010, 03:03 AM
dont know, i found a *ahem* dodgy way to watch it:sneaky:

ahhhhh. . all I needed to hear. . . I'm on it as soon as able.

rongravy
27-Feb-2010, 11:41 AM
Ha, does that mean there will be a Quarantine sequel too then?
:elol:

Gemini
27-Feb-2010, 12:35 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what does rec2 stand for?

And is Quarantine any good?

slickwilly13
27-Feb-2010, 02:17 PM
REC is record. Quarantine is not bad, but it is pretty much REC with diffrent names and location. Also, REC is leaning towards the demon theme and the other is more like a viral outbreak.

Danny
27-Feb-2010, 02:20 PM
REC is record. Quarantine is not bad, but it is pretty much REC with diffrent names and location. Also, REC is leaning towards the demon theme and the other is more like a viral outbreak.

honestly i found the demon thing to be a nice change of pace.

mista_mo
27-Feb-2010, 02:27 PM
rec 1 was pretty cool, may have to check out rec 2 sometime. you should set up a live stream, i mean, since you clearly...*ahem* "own"....number 2.

fartpants
28-Feb-2010, 07:51 PM
just watched it...and i loved it, please dont let Hollywood remake it ...:rant:

clanglee
28-Feb-2010, 11:33 PM
Yup, I . . . emmmm. . .aquired it as well. . . .Great great movie. . .the subtitles were wrong on my copy though. . .any time there was supposed to be the letter "O" there was an "R" instead. Pretty funny. There lines like "Strp it!! Get rut!! Gr Gr Gr!!"

Not as good as the first, but still quite good and effective. Just not as fresh or exciting as the first. There were some very tense and scary bits. And the creature effects were VERY well done. The scene in the crawlspace almost made me shit myself.

Ghost Of War
08-Mar-2010, 07:38 AM
I watched this last night. Fuck me, what a great, scary, nervous, thrilling ride. I loved the twist, loved the effects, loved how the stories linked up, just loved the film. 5 out of 5 for me.