PDA

View Full Version : Survival of the Dead UK BLU-RAY REVIEW...

MinionZombie
07-Mar-2010, 12:41 PM
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content/id/72272/survival-of-the-dead.html

Gets a 6/10 score.

Ghost Of War
07-Mar-2010, 06:04 PM
Damn. Shame there's not one fucking extra on the thing. I'll still buy it, though.

paranoid101
07-Mar-2010, 07:46 PM
No extra what so ever, seems strange to release the Blu-ray like that, guess it might be a rush release what with no cinema showing.

Don't think I'm going to bother buying this, wouldn't be surprised if there's a limited edition directors cut in a few months.

Legion2213
07-Mar-2010, 09:49 PM
I've decided that nothing can be worse than "Diary", I'll get the BD of "Survival", but I ain't paying top dollar for it, I'll wait until it's under a tenner.

("Day" on BD at the end of the month folks). :cool:

MinionZombie
08-Mar-2010, 09:48 AM
I've decided that nothing can be worse than "Diary", I'll get the BD of "Survival", but I ain't paying top dollar for it, I'll wait until it's under a tenner.

("Day" on BD at the end of the month folks). :cool:
Or you could get it on DVD for like eight quid.

Optimum UK are clearly rushing it out to co-incide with the UK release of Zombieland (also out March 15th), and it appears that that Fleischer dude is in the midst of cutting the extra features right now - which will no doubt be provided on a DVD after the North American VOD & Theatrical runs.

So for us Brits buying now, it'll be a double dip - however, we haven't had a theatrical run, so I'm counting the £8 DVD as what I would have spent (or £1.20 more to be precise) going to see it in the cinema.

Legion2213
08-Mar-2010, 09:47 PM
MZ, I recently embraced the future and Hi-Def, I've stopped buying DVD's now, most BD's are only a few quid more.

Once I get "Day" & "Survival", my entire GAR collection will be in BD (apart from the Night remake which is not out on BD yet unfortunately). :(

SymphonicX
11-Mar-2010, 12:45 PM
my DVD shipped today! can't wait :)

MinionZombie
11-Mar-2010, 05:33 PM

Ditto (as did Zombieland). :thumbsup:

I have seen the movie already so I'm not bursting for it. I suggest folks rent Survival and wait for the R1, which may have a wealth of extras for all we know. If the R1 doesn't have anything worthy of purchase then get the R2. It will be a fiver by then anyway.

I'm figuring it this way - I'll end up spending about £1.19 or £2.19 more on it than I would have going to see it in the cinema, and if it had been in cinemas I would have gone to see it. So I'm thinking of this bare bones release as the equivalent of a cinema release (what's more I can watch it more than once and therefore get more for my money) ... then I'll get the R1 edition (which I'd imagine will have the extras, as Fleischer (sp?) is working on them now) when it comes out - which I would have been doing anyway as well.

So it's all good.

bassman
11-Mar-2010, 05:37 PM
Lucky bastards getting it so soon. I imagine it's a nice change of pace for you guys, though. Usually being the last to get them and all.

MinionZombie
11-Mar-2010, 05:43 PM
Lucky bastards getting it so soon. I imagine it's a nice change of pace for you guys, though. Usually being the last to get them and all.
Exactly - not only in cinemas, but on DVD - we wait longer than many countries, and quite often our releases aren't as good as the R1 releases, sometimes we get totally shafted and get a bare bones DVD, meanwhile the R1 will be a full on double disc packed with stuff - so I have ended up importing so many DVDs over the years because of this, but sometimes the prices are too high, and with the piffling £18 import limit before duties get to bum you backwards, you can often find a DVD being out of that range, which is no good to you (as you'd end up spending at least £13 in charges and fines for importing something more expensive than eighteen measily quid.

So yep - a nice change of pace ... ... but I'll still have to buy the R1, mind, cos of the extras situation. On the other hand, you guys will get it in cinemas over there.

bassman
11-Mar-2010, 05:47 PM
On the other hand, you guys will get it in cinemas over there.

True....but I've got a feeling that will be a failed experiment. With it coming to R2 dvd, On Demand, and Xbox/PS3 first I don't think it will fare too well in cinemas. I hate to say it, but I for one won't be treking the hour long drive to see this one in theater if I can just see it on the net/VOD.

MinionZombie
11-Mar-2010, 05:51 PM
True....but I've got a feeling that will be a failed experiment. With it coming to R2 dvd, On Demand, and Xbox/PS3 first I don't think it will fare too well in cinemas. I hate to say it, but I for one won't be treking the hour long drive to see this one in theater if I can just see it on the net/VOD.
Indeed. I thought it was odd to do cinemas after a VOD release ... very odd.

krakenslayer
11-Mar-2010, 11:17 PM

Ditto (as did Zombieland). :thumbsup:

Mine too, although it's coming from Play.com, which is based in the Channel Islands, so I'm not really expecting it until Saturday (or Monday).

MinionZombie
13-Mar-2010, 10:20 AM
My Survival and Zombieland DVDs turned up today ahead of Monday's street date, woo!

I'll try and get onto Survival ASAP and hit back with my thoughts-in-brief, before having a proper musing upon it later on.

MagicMoonMonkey
13-Mar-2010, 01:35 PM
My Survival and Zombieland DVDs turned up today ahead of Monday's street date, woo!

I'll try and get onto Survival ASAP and hit back with my thoughts-in-brief, before having a proper musing upon it later on.

My DVDs arrived too. Watched SotD and was pleasantly surprised by it. Enjoyable fare. I think you might approve.

MinionZombie
13-Mar-2010, 03:57 PM
My DVDs arrived too. Watched SotD and was pleasantly surprised by it. Enjoyable fare. I think you might approve.
You're damn right I approve.

Nowhere near as "silly" as I was beginning to be lead to believe, particularly by certain video clips online which focussed on silly moments - however, that's about as silly as the movie gets, there's not much silliness beyond what we've seen online.

The movie itself in full is actually rather good, and very enjoyable. I've had a turbulent opinion of Diary of the Dead, but I'm pleased to say that I'm immediately in favour of SOTD, and had a blast watching it. Some moments are even out-right hilarious, and I actually LOL'd - particularly a skirmish between Nicotine's band of survivors and O'Flynn's rabble early on.

I'll avoid spoilers, but aye, I really dug it. Now to wait for the R1 disc packed with extras *fingers crossed* ... my only grievance is some of the CGI does look obvious, but fortunately for every one moment like the head top flopping down onto the neck stump, there's like 10 awesome moments.

Anyway, before I ramble on, I'll cap this in-brief response to it by confirming that yes - I totally dug it. :cool::thumbsup::)

krakenslayer
13-Mar-2010, 04:03 PM
You're damn right I approve.

Nowhere near as "silly" as I was beginning to be lead to believe, particularly by certain video clips online which focussed on silly moments - however, that's about as silly as the movie gets, there's not much silliness beyond what we've seen online.

The movie itself in full is actually rather good, and very enjoyable. I've had a turbulent opinion of Diary of the Dead, but I'm pleased to say that I'm immediately in favour of SOTD, and had a blast watching it. Some moments are even out-right hilarious, and I actually LOL'd - particularly a skirmish between Nicotine's band of survivors and O'Flynn's rabble early on.

I'll avoid spoilers, but aye, I really dug it. Now to wait for the R1 disc packed with extras *fingers crossed* ... my only grievance is some of the CGI does look obvious, but fortunately for every one moment like the head top flopping down onto the neck stump, there's like 10 awesome moments.

Anyway, before I ramble on, I'll cap this in-brief response to it by confirming that yes - I totally dug it. :cool::thumbsup::)

I also agree! I posted my mini-review in the Survival reviews thread if anyone's interested.

CooperWasRight
13-Mar-2010, 05:09 PM
Well whether I like the film I will be buying it when it come out stateside just because I think George has never made the money he deserved to. That aside I wonder when its gonna makes its way online...Not that I ...ahem... Support that sort of thing.

SymphonicX
14-Mar-2010, 10:03 PM
I agree 100% with MZ...you couldn't have said it better mate.

To put my spin on it, I eagerly watched it today on Blu ray and was really gearing up for a real disappointment...

instead what I got was a movie with a tangiable plot with a true sense of progression and even adventure, plot elements were cleared up or discussed and not left with gaping holes, most of the script was likeable, listenable, well crafted and in places amusing. A couple of gags didn't work and a fair few CGI moments didn't work but what wasn't spent on practical effects was spent on decent locations, a nice atmosphere, some good cinematography and overall production values...the music was nice placed and the political subtext was interesting, DISCUSSABLE, yet subtle enough to not feel pushed by it.

Also new elements were disclosed about the zombie progression which again makes for interesting discussions but doesn't detract from the original visions of the undead. A few questions answered for the fans which was nice and what's even better is that the answer isn't at all "meh"...

On the back it says "romero's best film since dawn"...not quite...but the best ZOMBIE film since at very least Land but more realistically Day.

Final points: the idea that this film is beset with Wild West analogy and metaphor is misguided. It's simply alluded to in places yet doesn't rule the whole film, its actually a nice touch. Also at the screening of Dawn of the Dead in Edinburgh the dude running it told the whole cinema that he had seen Survival and "it was BAD...so so bad"- negative publicity and completely undeserving.

I say "fucking nice one George". Great film mate...

JDFP
14-Mar-2010, 11:16 PM
Just finished watching it (I found a way and I'll leave it at that, but don't judge me, I fully intend on buying the blu-ray so I feel no guilt), and.. eh... it was a hell of a lot better than "LAND" but honestly I wouldn't rank it as high up as "DIARY".

Romero does still have it though. The man is a story-teller, and I enjoy his stories.

This is one I enjoyed watching, but there is nothing really grand about it. It's a simple and straight-forward story (similar to NOTLD in that regard) but it's just not an epic movie like "DAWN"/"DAY". Like the last couple Romero flicks, I was wanting more -- here's hoping that Romero may decide to put another cut of it together with some more scenes/events as it's just too damn short to really get into it. The music is completely forgettable, and that's an awful shame because one of the points that made the original trilogy so incredible is the music in them.

I give kudos to Sarge / Muldoon / O'Flynn / and even Tomboy as I enjoyed their performances. The kid was just damn annoying. But, what the hell is up with the accents/colloquial in this? Is it typical for rural farmers/etc. to keep Irish brogue's in Delaware? I know in Boston I could go pahk my cah in the ga'age, but the over-emphasis on the colloquial just really detracted from the flick for me. I don't know any agrarian people in Delaware, so I can't say, but I know from my perspective watching a "Hollywood" film about living in Tennessee or the Appalachian area where we all 'supposedly' have deep rural Alabama accents makes it just impossible for me to watch it because I get too pissed off at the ridiculousness of it (I'm sure it would be like someone from the Dakotas watching "Fargo", oh yah, don't 'cha know?).

Overall though, I did enjoy it for what it was as a pretty damn good, albeit too short, zombie flick. I'd have to put my current (and I hope to add a few more to this list at least if Romero can keep the momentum up) list like this:

1.) Day
2.) Dawn (Extended Edition)
3.) Night
4.) Diary
5.) Survival
6.) Land

Keep 'em coming, George, while none of them have been epic since "Day" here's hoping that the next one just might have the potential to blow the piss out of 'em, all of 'em, up to this point.

j.p.

kidgloves
15-Mar-2010, 05:00 PM
Just bought the barebones blu-ray of this. Uncle George will always get my support so I look on it as a donation to his retirement fund. Will watch later in my cinema and see if the old goat still has it.

MinionZombie
15-Mar-2010, 07:01 PM
Just bought the barebones blu-ray of this. Uncle George will always get my support so I look on it as a donation to his retirement fund. Will watch later in my cinema and see if the old goat still has it.

It's not coming to UK cinemas though.

But I know what you mean. I'll definitely end up double-dipping on this flick, but see this bare bones DVD as essentially what I would have spent anyway going to see it at Cineworld.

kidgloves
15-Mar-2010, 07:38 PM
It's not coming to UK cinemas though.

But I know what you mean. I'll definitely end up double-dipping on this flick, but see this bare bones DVD as essentially what I would have spent anyway going to see it at Cineworld.

You may not remember MZ but I have my own dedicated cinema room which in some ways is better than going to the cinema. :D

MinionZombie
15-Mar-2010, 09:42 PM
You may not remember MZ but I have my own dedicated cinema room which in some ways is better than going to the cinema. :D
Ah yes, now I remember ... also I didn't read your post properly, had a dim moment there I guess. :p

DjfunkmasterG
15-Mar-2010, 10:43 PM
My Thoughts

Man, where do I begin?

Survival of the Dead. it could have easily been one of Romero's best, since his beloved Dawn of the Dead, but what went wrong? what did he miss? what moment did he not seize?

After getting my UK Blu-Ray I was sort of reserved in what i was going to think about this flick. I mean I thought the trailers looked corny, the feel amateur, even for Romero's standards, but I was willing to give it a go none the less.

Survival should have been the next DAWN of the DEAD. It had the set up, it had the locations, but it missed the story and the vibe. The film is skewered by a weak cast and an even weaker storyline.

Survivals western vibe and feel just seems so out of place and wasted. What should have occurred was trying to rebuild life on Plum island, what should have happened was an exploration of the rebuilding of humanity, something Romero has yet to touch upon in any of his Dead films... which is a goddamn shame.

I will say Survival is slightly ok. I still think Diary is the best of his newer zed flicks, and Survival is way better than Land but it is still a weak film, in fact Romero's 3 newest entries are all weak and devoid of the magic originally on display in Night Dawn and Day. When Romero gets back to that magic he will regain what is lost in the zombie genre, but with him sticking to the cheap thrills and half-assed writing I think his fall from zombie grace will be harder than even he will ever imagine.

These newer entries only seem to alienate his fan-based and this smart zombies back story he is trying to shove down our throats isn't working with the fans. Romero needs to get back to plain and simple story telling. Story telling that will show us why we followed him all these years, but this rushed production, dialog and all around feel is what is giving his series a bad name.

Survival will deliver on the gore, even on its corny moments, and it tries really hard to engage the audience with its characters but it falls apart because the cast and screenplay aren't strong enough.

in the end... another disappointing zed flick from the grandfather of the modern zombie.

George, if you read this... go back to Dawn, and look at it again and give us a film like that... that is what we want, and we know you have it in you, but if you set out to make another disaster like this it may be time to fold up the directors chair.

5 out of 10

PQ - 3 out of 5, even being shot on the RED ONE, the PQ leaves a lot to be desired, quite frankly it is a disgrace to even put this on Blu-Ray.

AQ - Survival is rocking a DTS HD-MA audio track and it is quite decent, to be quite honest it is probably the most decent thing on the disc, even better than the movie.

Features - Yeah someone dropped the ball here. What a fucking joke.

Overall Blu-Ray rating 3.5 out of 5

bassman
15-Mar-2010, 10:48 PM
I haven't seen the flick, so I can't comment directly but you folks looking for "The next Dawn of the Dead" are looking to be let down....

kidgloves
15-Mar-2010, 10:51 PM
Completly agree with DJ.
I feel like I've donating to the Romero pension fund for a few years now but I look on it as appreciation for past work, especially Dawn.

DjfunkmasterG
17-Mar-2010, 03:38 PM
Never said I was through with him, but unless he starts making movies as good as the original 3 he might as well retire.

If anyone actually believes Survival is good I want them to send me a bag of whatever it is they are smoking.

mista_mo
17-Mar-2010, 03:53 PM
Look, it AIN'T BAD, YO!!!

Please accept that Romero is a wholly different director now. Thank you, yes, nice, means a lot, bollocks, spooge...

Incidentally, the retarded cock-smoking, dog-jizz blowing, piss-fuck, wank-staining, arse-banditing, shit-cunting, piss-flapping, ball-bags who think that Land is a pile of shit can go suck my horsecock-guzzling, tit-fucking, shitty-bollocking, Ghostbusting (yes, you Jason), horse-jism drinking, shit-eating, pussy-pissing, arse-farting, dirty rotten testicular pickled onions of mine. You CUNTOLOS!

No more! :)

Maybe there's more. I'm just pissed off that everyone says they are through with Romero. Get a life, you useless pissflaps!!!

I fucking love you Brett.

Legion2213
17-Mar-2010, 04:09 PM
I used to think Land was a pile of shit...until I saw Diary. :barf:

Thanks for the (conflicting) reviews folks, I'll still pick it up for the same reasons as most others here (collection/supporting GAR), but I will go in with low expectations, maybe I won't be too disapointed that way...:(

MinionZombie
17-Mar-2010, 06:47 PM
Look, it AIN'T BAD, YO!!!

Please accept that Romero is a wholly different director now. Thank you, yes, nice, means a lot, bollocks, spooge...

Incidentally, the retarded cock-smoking, dog-jizz blowing, piss-fuck, wank-staining, arse-banditing, shit-cunting, piss-flapping, ball-bags who think that Land is a pile of shit can go suck my horsecock-guzzling, tit-fucking, shitty-bollocking, Ghostbusting (yes, you Jason), horse-jism drinking, shit-eating, pussy-pissing, arse-farting, dirty rotten testicular pickled onions of mine. You CUNTOLOS!

No more! :)

Maybe there's more. I'm just pissed off that everyone says they are through with Romero. Get a life, you useless pissflaps!!!
Wow ... ... that's graphic. :D