PDA

View Full Version : British Government and the Crown

JDFP
07-Mar-2010, 10:54 PM
Yeah, so there's a ton of U.K. folks on the board here, and instead of throwing politics around here in the U.S. let's look across the pond for a second to look at the British system of government for a bit.

The Bicameral U.S. Congress system is pretty straight-forward. You have the House of Representatives (435 members with so many members from each state determined by population within said state for a 2 year re-electable terms) and the Senate (100 members with 2 members from each of the 50 states, regardless of size or population, for 6 year re-electable terms). Some roles are only determined by the House (impeachment) and some by the Senate (treaties, etc.), but both bodies have important legislative roles and both have to work together in order to enact legislation.

Help educate me on this, dear Brits. The way I understand the British system is that the House of Commons pretty much has complete legislative control and that the House of Lords doesn't really have power over enacting/stopping legislative action (or am I wrong?). So, what the hell is it they (the House of Lords) do exactly? What's the point of having a body of members as part of government when they really don't have any political power whatsoever?

Ah, that gets me to the second question: The role of the Crown and Royal Family. Don't get me wrong, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II certainly has a lot of ceremonial responsibility but the Crown has no power over day to day legislation or enforcement of legal matters. Could Elizabeth actually get involved in a political matter and say, in so many proper ways, "Screw this legislation"?

Other than using up tax-payer money in a country where Unemployment is worse than the U.S. and the country is wrapped up in being a Welfare-state, isn't it a bit ridiculous to spend so much money giving into all the pomp-and-circumstance of an out-dated system within the Crown that really, ultimately, doesn't do a damn thing except re-direct tax-payer money that could help benefit citizens more? I know places like Buckingham Palace and what-not bring in a great deal of revenue from "travelers/visitors" etc. to the country, but have there been any conclusive studies showing that the benefit of the Crown actually benefits the growth of the nation as opposed to diminishing of funds, revenue that could actually go to the betterment of citizens more?

Anyway, I honestly and sincerely ask because I'm curious and this seems like a good place to ask with so many Brits around here. I don't mean to start any arguing, etc., but an inquiring American would like to know the thoughts you all have. :)

j.p.

krakenslayer
08-Mar-2010, 09:44 AM
Ah, that gets me to the second question: The role of the Crown and Royal Family. Don't get me wrong, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II certainly has a lot of ceremonial responsibility but the Crown has no power over day to day legislation or enforcement of legal matters. Could Elizabeth actually get involved in a political matter and say, in so many proper ways, "Screw this legislation"?

Theoretically yes, because if I remember correctly, every law has to be signed off by her. However, in practice it would never, never happen - if an unelected monarch started dictating this-and-that, there would be a revolution. In other words, the monarch will always be too shit scared to become involved in political matters.

Other than using up tax-payer money in a country where Unemployment is worse than the U.S. and the country is wrapped up in being a Welfare-state, isn't it a bit ridiculous to spend so much money giving into all the pomp-and-circumstance of an out-dated system within the Crown that really, ultimately, doesn't do a damn thing except re-direct tax-payer money that could help benefit citizens more? I know places like Buckingham Palace and what-not bring in a great deal of revenue from "travelers/visitors" etc. to the country, but have there been any conclusive studies showing that the benefit of the Crown actually benefits the growth of the nation as opposed to diminishing of funds, revenue that could actually go to the betterment of citizens more?

Agreed. We don't need 'em. The royal family is a throwback. The only thing that keep them where they are is "patriotism" (i.e. sentimental attachment).

Publius
09-Mar-2010, 10:32 AM
One of the most important functions of the monarch is to serve as a non-political figurehead. The queen or king is "above politics." In the U.S., when the political climate is particularly partisan, the citizenry is always psychologically divided into winners and losers, those on the inside and those on the outside. Because the head of state is a politically selected president, the leader of his party as well as the leader of his country, those who opposed his election and are working for his defeat may have an automatic reaction against anything he does as head of state. The British monarch is a nationally unifying symbol in a way that the president cannot be.

EvilNed
09-Mar-2010, 12:45 PM

I can't speak for Britain, but in Sweden we also have a monarch. One that's not nearly as popular abroad as the British Queen. Yet the revenue we get back from tourism and business deals due to the King is about ten times of what we spend on him and the court. On a yearly basis, that is.

I'd imagine that the Queen of Britain generates a lot of revenue. More than you'd imagine.