PDA

View Full Version : Romero gets a little nod from the Academy

Yojimbo
08-Mar-2010, 02:28 AM
Happened to catch the Horror category film montage sequence for the Oscars - did anyone else catch the brief shot of NOLD 68? My wife and I were so stoked to see that GAR got some recognition from the Academy, albeit a small, almost perfunctory nod.

clanglee
08-Mar-2010, 04:17 AM
Yeah I caught that too. I'm happy that they gave a big nod to horror in general.

bassman
08-Mar-2010, 11:46 AM
Yeah I saw it. But it's almost a good thing that the academy doesn't recognize horror films. Some of those clips should'nt have been in the montage. Beetlejuice?:confused: There were several others that I can't recall at the moment...

BillyRay
08-Mar-2010, 02:04 PM
And right after, "Quick get a shot of Tarrantino! He likes this stuff!"

bassman
08-Mar-2010, 03:19 PM
Some of the tribute(including Night's brief appearance) can be found, HERE (http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=21051).

Young Frankenstein? Beetlejuice?? WTF??

And as the linked article mentions....why did the twilight kids present it? Am I just missing something here?

darth los
08-Mar-2010, 03:38 PM
And right after, "Quick get a shot of Tarrantino! He likes this stuff!"

Yeah, he's long touted the greatness of gar at other venues, however this is the biggest by far.

Forget recognition I'm sure Gar would prefer royalties instead. :p

:cool:

C5NOTLD
08-Mar-2010, 03:39 PM
why did the twilight kids present it? Am I just missing something here?

With Oscars 2010 you had the Twilight kids, Miley Cyrus, Doogie Howser signing and dancing.
I can actually remember a time when the Oscars had movie stars on stage.

bassman
08-Mar-2010, 03:41 PM
The doogie thing was funny, imo. They actually treated that as a joke. Unlike Cyrus, Twilight, etc.

darth los
08-Mar-2010, 03:59 PM
With Oscars 2010 you had the Twilight kids, Miley Cyrus, Doogie Howser signing and dancing.
I can actually remember a time when the Oscars had movie stars on stage.

Today's entertainment is all melded together. They are all "media" Stars as far as the networks are concerned. Whoever brings in the money are all on the same tier.

fulci fan
08-Mar-2010, 04:10 PM
At least they had the Universal monsters. The academy does not know what real horror is. :rant:

MinionZombie
08-Mar-2010, 05:54 PM
Watched the Oscars this afternoon on videotape from last night, and saw this bit - almost thought they were introducing a new award or something, but no, just some silly-ass montage plucked out of someone's ass including clips of things that really shouldn't have been in there - and aye, I did notice the clip of Night (although really, where was Dawn? One of the most seminal horror movies EVER MADE) ... but yeah, it's better for horror not to be included at the Oscars, because there's so much "LUVVIE!" stuff going on at the Oscars all the time that it gets too much - there's people really being rewarded for their work and getting the recognition they deserve (e.g. Bigelow), but then every few minutes you get some sycophantic knob-gobbling hat-tip or intro (like for the best actor & actress categories where others stand up and say how much they'd like to suckle their mate's teat as they're "so awesome") and it just gets all icky again...

Anyway...

darth los
08-Mar-2010, 08:17 PM
Yes the mutual blow job society was a bit much for my taste.

A few years back, Chris Rock was the host and he made a comment about Jude Law getting arole over Tom Cruise because cruise was unavailable at the time.

He said something to the effect of the people who hired LAw should have waited for Cruise and that they only got LAw because they couldn't get cruise. Like he was the poor man's Tom Cruise or something.

Sean Penn went on like a 5 minute diatribe about how Law is one of the fine actor's of the day, etc. :hurl:

clanglee
08-Mar-2010, 08:26 PM
I liked the way they did the presentations. . .screw yall. . I got a little choked up at some of them even. I do agree that the horror nod was a bit haphazzard tho. . and was it me, or did they show WAY too much Nightmare on Elm Street. . . . . like WAY too many clips per capita?

bassman
08-Mar-2010, 08:27 PM
Can you really blame them? In a time when actors are treated only as celebrity tabloid fodder, who else is going to take their profession seriously? The art of it all has been lost to things like reality TV and People magazine. I'm not surprised at all that they take it very seriously and pat each other on the back.

I'm not saying all of it is honest, but you've got to try and see it from their angle. These days all of the skill and talent in the profession is being replaced with who's dating who and what clothes they're wearing....

darth los
08-Mar-2010, 08:54 PM
Can you really blame them? In a time when actors are treated only as celebrity tabloid fodder, who else is going to take their profession seriously? The art of it all has been lost to things like reality TV and People magazine. I'm not surprised at all that they take it very seriously and pat each other on the back.

I'm not saying all of it is honest, but you've got to try and see it from their angle. These days all of the skill and talent in the profession is being replaced with who's dating who and what clothes they're wearing....

And as technology becomes more advanced and more invasive it's only going to get worse buddy.

rongravy
09-Mar-2010, 06:42 AM
At least they had the Universal monsters. The academy does not know what real horror is. :rant:

Or good movies in general.
Moon was better than any of those movies up there.

bassman
09-Mar-2010, 11:59 AM
Man, I didn't even think about Moon. What the hell?? Maybe it wasn't finished before their deadline or something?

Then again...it's science fiction. Those usually aren't considered "real" films by the academy's standards. :rolleyes:

bassman
09-Mar-2010, 03:06 PM
I don't do any awards show because of the aforementioned blow job party, but I bet the usual 'dead actors' montage was a lengthy one.

Not too long. Just a few minutes. They did have a lengthy tribute to John Hughes, though. Including a bunch of the actors he worked with. I got a little choked up on that one as his films had a big impact on my early years.

darth los
09-Mar-2010, 03:27 PM
Not too long. Just a few minutes. They did have a lengthy tribute to John Hughes, though. Including a bunch of the actors he worked with. I got a little choked up on that one as his films had a big impact on my early years.

His films shaped alot of what pop culture was in the 80's. Couldn't imagine the decade without them.

MinionZombie
09-Mar-2010, 06:06 PM
Man, I didn't even think about Moon. What the hell?? Maybe it wasn't finished before their deadline or something?

Then again...it's science fiction. Those usually aren't considered "real" films by the academy's standards. :rolleyes:

Moon was finished in plenty of time, it just got shafted. In their mind it was probably either bunging that or District 9 into the mix, and considering they could all wring their hands over the 'Apartheid allegory' of D9, it probably tickled their afford-to-be-really-liberal winky-woos ... ... District 9 is fucking awesome, mind you, I just don't think the Apartheid angle is as pronounced as 'trendy folk in teh meeja' say it is.

Moon was also freakin' kick ass too. :thumbsup:

I don't do any awards show because of the aforementioned blow job party, but I bet the usual 'dead actors' montage was a lengthy one.

They say they limit it to only 30 names, so a bunch always get left out, and they left out - controversially - Farah Fawcett (who'd been a member of the Academy for 40 years) ... yet included Michael Jackson. :rockbrow:

Mr.G
10-Mar-2010, 02:24 AM
IMO, the John Hughes tribute was touching...and spot on.