View Full Version : Corey Haim Found Dead

bassman
10-Mar-2010, 01:13 PM
For some reason I'm not surprised. Corey Haim, best known for his role in The Lost Boys, was found dead of an apparent drug overdose.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni1745014/

Honestly....was there anyone that didn't see this coming?

Danny
10-Mar-2010, 01:18 PM
i actually thought this guy died of an overdose years ago:stunned:

bassman
10-Mar-2010, 01:20 PM
i actually thought this guy died of an overdose years ago:stunned:

:lol: I'm sure a lot of people did. He's been on hard drugs for YEARS.

He was just in the straight-to-dvd Lost Boys 2 and also Crank 2: High Voltage.

Mr.G
10-Mar-2010, 01:31 PM
My little 80's heart hurts a little...I wonder if a vampire got him?

slickwilly13
10-Mar-2010, 01:55 PM
I am not surprised after hearing rumors over the years and seeing briefly parts of the Coreys Show or whatever it was called. The guy could not handle success. He went from one of the most recognized names and faces during the 80's next to the other Corey to a nobody during the past 15 years.

DjfunkmasterG
10-Mar-2010, 02:45 PM
Oh how the mighty have fallen.

AcesandEights
10-Mar-2010, 03:28 PM
Damn, he really looked like a train wreck the last time I saw a clip of him.

darth los
10-Mar-2010, 03:31 PM
For some reason I'm not surprised. Corey Haim, best known for his role in The Lost Boys, was found dead of an apparent drug overdose.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni1745014/

Honestly....was there anyone that didn't see this coming?

When someone has been drugging for like...ever, ala Anna Nicole Smith or Michael Jackson there can be no other outcome. Anyone's life that is on that track indicates someone who has demons.

RIP dude. I hope it goes better for you in the next life.

:cool:

bassman
10-Mar-2010, 03:42 PM
Anyone's life that is on that track indicates someone who has demons.

I understand what you're saying, but I just want to point out that the "demons" thing is bullshit. Everyone has problems or "demons". These people are addicts. There's a big difference. They could have changed their lives and be living healthy today. The problem is that they didn't want or "couldn't" change it...

darth los
10-Mar-2010, 04:03 PM
I understand what you're saying, but I just want to point out that the "demons" thing is bullshit. Everyone has problems or "demons". These people are addicts. There's a big difference. They could have changed their lives and be living healthy today. The problem is that they didn't want or "couldn't" change it...

I have to complete ly disagree with you on that one. Yes everyone has problems but just as everyone doesn't have the same psysical makeup, everyone doesn't have the same mental strength as well.

It would be like asking the general population to do what Navy seals do. Now we're not talking a population that big but the principle is the same.

I'm just glad that you have been blessed enough to not have something so fucked up happen to you that you just can't get over it. I hope it stays that way but knowing this life it's not likely.

I do agree that some are just addicts and the demon thing is just a rationalization. But let's not take that to mean that everyone who says that is crying wolf. Mental illness is very serious and life crippling. We shouldn't make light of that.

bassman
10-Mar-2010, 04:08 PM
Fair enough. I just see it as EVERYONE....every single person on this planet has fucked up shit happen to them during their lifetime. It's how you deal with it that shows what kind of person you are. These people that turn to Alcohol and Drugs are just looking for an easy way out and then want others to help them. "poor poor me". Fuck you....we all have problems. Here's an idea....help yourself.

And yes....I've seen all this happen first hand. Life hasn't been all cherry and lollipops for myself, family, and friends.

What makes this even worse is that these people are famous. They could very easily spend the money needed to stay a few months at one of those vacation resorts that they call "rehab". Shit....those places are better than any vacation i've ever had.:p

LouCipherr
10-Mar-2010, 04:54 PM
They could very easily spend the money needed to stay a few months at one of those vacation resorts that they call "rehab".

Well, you could if you haven't snorted/shot up/drank/smoked all that money you used to have a few decades ago thanks to your addiction. I'm sure that was the case with Haim.

...somewhere out there, I bet Feldman is working on a new show called "The One Corey" :shifty:

bassman
10-Mar-2010, 04:59 PM
Well, you could if you haven't snorted/shot up/drank/smoked all that money you used to have a few decades ago thanks to your addiction. I'm sure that was the case with Haim.

Good point, but he also has had a few things going in recent years. So if all that money was already gone he had a HUGE problem...

Tricky
10-Mar-2010, 05:08 PM
The scene I remember him best for..
-epc4kzkKF4

LouCipherr
10-Mar-2010, 05:10 PM
Unfortunately, I think that may have been the case. Did you see him on any of that "two coreys" show? Ho-ly shit, that dude was in piss-poor shape, and it seemed as if he didn't give a hoot wether he got better or not. I didn't watch the show religiously, but I did see an episode or two and he was in a really bad place.

Great clip, Tricky...

"You're a creature of the night Michael, just like out of a comic book! You're a vampire Michael! My own brother, a goddamn, shit-sucking vampire. You wait 'till mom finds out!"

darth los
10-Mar-2010, 05:44 PM
So we got clips and quotes. Man, this has me jonesing to see that flick again. I don't remember it that well, so this should be fun.

It's always surreal to watch an artist at their craft after they have passed. When i saw TDK All i kept thinking about was what a talent we lost in ledger. Too bad i can't say the same for haim tho.

still it's a human life.

RustyHicks
10-Mar-2010, 08:13 PM
I always liked him in "Silver Bullet," "Lost Boys" and "Liecence to drive" it's just too bad
he couldn't help himself and get off the drugs. Such a tragedy

darth los
10-Mar-2010, 08:19 PM
I always liked him in "Silver Bullet," "Lost Boys" and "Liecence to drive" it's just too bad
he couldn't help himself and get off the drugs. Such a tragedy

That's why they call it a disease my friend. :cool:

krakenslayer
10-Mar-2010, 09:49 PM
Poor Corey. :(

I guess this means we'll never get a REAL Lost Boys sequel with the true cast. :(

JDFP
11-Mar-2010, 12:50 AM
'Nuckin Futs.

I hate that Haim didn't have the great success of other child stars like Gary Coleman, Mackenzie Phillips, or Sasha Mitchell. :shifty:

Honestly, I think entirely too much pressure is placed on child actors/actresses that can lead to an entirely out-of-whack "superiority" complex or unreasonable expectations of life.

j.p.

AcesandEights
11-Mar-2010, 02:25 PM
Honestly, I think entirely too much pressure is placed on child actors/actresses that can lead to an entirely out-of-whack "superiority" complex or unreasonable expectations of life.

I think that's a fair assessment. I mean, who wants to peak at 10 and why should parents/agents etc. set up this belief that a kid has to replicate the same sort of success? It's just programming them for a (very probable) letdown and subsequent misery.

bassman
11-Mar-2010, 02:30 PM
Not all child stars are let downs, though. Look at Christian Bale. Now one of the biggest stars in the world. Same with Shia Labeouf. The difference is that these guys applied themselves and actually tried.

I refuse to believe that Haim tried to better his career. All he tried to do was live off his past success and score some more dope...

AcesandEights
11-Mar-2010, 02:32 PM
You know, 'corey' has a totally different meaning in the UK...

Gruesome and Gory [noun]: The penis. Rhyming slang for corey (UK).

Is that right, then? Learn something new everyday.

Yojimbo
11-Mar-2010, 05:36 PM
I was never a fan of Haim and never really dug him having seen some interviews back in the day where he came off like an egotistical fool. Surely a lot of that was simply the idiocy of youth combined with having experienced a celebrity life at such a young age. He came off even worse in that Corey show but by that time he was nothing more that a washed up addict has-been who's behavior made Feldman look like a well adjusted and self actualized dude in comparison ( which has to hurt). Nevertheless it is very sad to hear that he has passed. May he rest in peace

darth los
11-Mar-2010, 06:05 PM
Correctamundo. Didn't know about 'gruesome and gory' though.

If you think that's funny, one of the attorneys i work for is named Robert Wanker. :lol:

Ah, good times at the office.

SRP76
11-Mar-2010, 06:25 PM
Just about everyone under the age of 30 is going "who?" right now.

MikePizzoff
11-Mar-2010, 06:38 PM
Just about everyone under the age of 30 is going "who?" right now.

I've known who both Corey's were since I was about 3 or 4 years old; The Lost Boys has been one of my favorite movies since it was released.

RIP!

shootemindehead
11-Mar-2010, 07:45 PM
That's why they call it a disease my friend. :cool:

Disease my arse.

Cancer is a disease.

Taking drugs is a choice.

krakenslayer
11-Mar-2010, 08:01 PM
Disease my arse.

Cancer is a disease.

Having unprotected sex is a choice, HIV/AIDS is a disease.

Taking drugs is a choice, addiction is a disease.

darth los
11-Mar-2010, 08:05 PM
Disease my arse.

Cancer is a disease.

There are many PHD's that will disagree with you on that. I think I'll defer to their expertise on that one.

Having unprotected sex is a choice, HIV/AIDS is a disease.

Taking drugs is a choice, addiction is a disease.

Can't disagree with you there.

bassman
11-Mar-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm going to have to be the ass in this discussion and agree with shootem. People are too easy on addicts and make them feel like it's not their fault that they are addicted to things. They chose to start it.....it's their decision.

Cancer patients on the other hand have no decision. They just have to deal with it.

I'm sorry for people that have addicts in their family(I'm one of them - Alcoholic), but i'm not going to sugar coat it and say "oh it's just an addiction" to make them feel better about it. You choose to drink, it's your fault. Get help if you wish to kick the habit. Cancer patients can't choose to stop having cancer.

darth los
11-Mar-2010, 08:19 PM
Couldn't disagree with you more on that one buddy. Kraken had it right. You choose to start, however, once it has a hold of you that addiction is a now disease that needs to be treated.

Like i said some just aren't strong enough to kick it themselves.

That indifference is disturbing to me though. It's like when republicans used to say that people who are on Public assistance are on it because they want to be for whatever reason. And for some that's absolutely true. However, some don't have a choice.

Same thing here.

It's hilarious to me how this is supposedly a christian nation yet all you hear is people with that attitude.

AcesandEights
11-Mar-2010, 08:20 PM
I'm going to have to be the ass in this discussion and agree with shootem. People are too easy on addicts and make them feel like it's not their fault that they are addicted to things. They chose to start it.....it's their decision.

While I agree with you, Bassman, it's sort of a double edged sword. Call addiction a disease and it can become a crutch, don't call it a disease and further stigmatize the admission of a problem and throw up barriers for those skiddish about coming forward and dealing with their problem.

However, I too have a distaste for the way the 'addiction is a disease' line of thinking has been abused at times.

Data and studies on this sort of thing would be cool to reacquaint myself with, but I'm pretty sure that honestly approaching addiction as an intolerable disease (i.e. cannot be let to stand when it impacts dependents & endangers others and not excused by friends & family), but still treating it as one would a disease/illness yields better results than the traditional stigmatizing/shunning alone produces.

But it's thankfully been a long time since I've worked with addicts.

bassman
11-Mar-2010, 08:24 PM
Well put, Aces. You said it better than I could.

That was the point I was trying to make. People feeling sorry for addicts and telling them that it's a "disease" only gives the addict the okay to keep going with it because.....well, with most diseases there's nothing you can do but live with it. On the other hand you have a good point about it actually helping SOME of them come forward and deal with the process. Unfortunately most addicts use the disease crutch as an excuse and run with it while having no intention of getting help or helping themselves. Those people are the ones I have no sympathy for. You made your bed and you can lie in it.

Well played, sir.:)

krakenslayer
11-Mar-2010, 08:54 PM
Yeah, I pretty much agree with all statements made: taking hard drugs is an astoundingly stupid choice to make and anyone who does so deserves to be slapped repeatedly in the face for twenty-four hours solid. But, once addicted, the milk is already spilt and the cows have already bolted, so to speak. The decision is a dumbass one, but it only has to be made once or twice, and after that, the "disease" of addiction kicks in and it's no longer a choice.

It's not like growing your hair or something, where any minute of any day you have the option to just cut it there and then. If you're an addict, even if you actually go cold turkey, the physical and psychological effects of addiction will last for weeks, months or years after that last hit. And that's after the choice is made to stop. It's not all in your head, is really, biologically and medically, a disease.

But I also agree with you guys on people who use the disease status of addiction as a crutch. It is stupid and illogical to justify an addiction in that way - yes, it is a disease, but a disease that only the sufferer has the ability to cure.

Purge
12-Mar-2010, 12:05 AM
I saw both Corey and his ex-fiance at Chiller in late '08. He looked pretty weathered.

Speaking of the latter, does anyone else find her lackadaisical attitude about Corey's passing kinda creepy?

bvpYFc820_c

blind2d
12-Mar-2010, 12:07 AM
Aww... I remember the Lost Boys... oh well, death is a part of life, we all have to go sometime, and drugs... probably invented by Satan. C'est la vie. Ooh, I'm getting all fancy! Sorry, I'm tired... but seriously folks, it's a real shame.

DubiousComforts
12-Mar-2010, 03:31 AM
People are too easy on addicts and make them feel like it's not their fault that they are addicted to things. They chose to start it.....it's their decision.
Which people are "too easy" on addicts exactly? The doctors and medical professional that treat this illness everyday? Are you speaking from a medical background? Ever share a home with a substance abuser? Certainly, you must know at least one family member who is a nicotine or junk food junkie -- both of which are known to kill a person, though not as quickly as the hard stuff. Don't even get started on alcohol consumption.

shootemindehead
12-Mar-2010, 08:41 AM
Couldn't disagree with you more on that one buddy. Kraken had it right. You choose to start, however, once it has a hold of you that addiction is a now disease that needs to be treated.

No Darth. The addiction is still an addiction. It's not a disease. There's no reason to mix the two definitions and was only done so a number of years ago to take the hard edge of the general view society had of "addicts". It's a spin.

You may contract diseases from your addiction, but the fact remains that the distinction of "addiction" is the primary diagnosis.

The addiction itself, is not a disease, it's an addiction.

bassman
12-Mar-2010, 11:43 AM
Which people are "too easy" on addicts exactly? The doctors and medical professional that treat this illness everyday? Are you speaking from a medical background? Ever share a home with a substance abuser? Certainly, you must know at least one family member who is a nicotine or junk food junkie -- both of which are known to kill a person, though not as quickly as the hard stuff. Don't even get started on alcohol consumption.

I think I made my opinion fairly clear in my numerous posts on the subject. Also see shootem's post directly below yours. Same opinions here.

DjfunkmasterG
12-Mar-2010, 12:38 PM
Funny how in death we suddenly jump to talk about someone like Corey Haim, but prior to his death I doubt any of us had thought about him in the last year or two.

DubiousComforts
12-Mar-2010, 02:24 PM
I think I made my opinion fairly clear in my numerous posts on the subject. Also see shootem's post directly below yours. Same opinions here.
In other words, "I got nothing." Gotcha.

Mental or psychological illness is still an illness. So is voluntary mental retardation and ignorance.

bassman
12-Mar-2010, 02:58 PM
In other words, "I got nothing." Gotcha.

No. I said exactly what I meant. I've aready stated my opinions on the matter. Read the thread before posting.

The "disease" label put on addiction is bullshit imo...

MZSHAYPN MNSTR
12-Mar-2010, 03:17 PM
Hollywood has that tendency to "offer" so much to the young and exploited. Child stars suddenly have everything a (spoiled) little kid could want - big adult candy things like cash, babes, drugs. There for the taking. The land of instant-gratification, where you work hard, so to speak, and its very easy to play hard as well. Have to fuel the fire while it burns brightly (desparately, before it burns out).

But its the club people are dying to get into. Through the door/the gate/the looking glass - you're expected to fully give into it, and pay your dues (you are after all a "property"). Once your value has gone under, you're expendible. Its a different world in terms of hiearchy and rules. You can get in and play the game, but your true value (whether you're A-list - especially if you're not) is essentially a financial equation.

You become worth more dead than alive, you go. MJ. HL. Two recent examples. Owned, out of control or disobediant, time to go. (who did these people really think they were anyways - they wouldn't BE stars without...)

And the mass or the veal, distraction - they eat it right up. Awe and fantasy glossing over Your Daily Hell. When a star shines we all watch but secretly all we want is to see them fall. They're not "us" (whoever we are), so we watch enviously (by design, and hate), and we WANT them to go.

You want a survivor or "success" story - look no further than Drew Barrymore.

darth los
12-Mar-2010, 03:20 PM
Funny how in death we suddenly jump to talk about someone like Corey Haim, but prior to his death I doubt any of us had thought about him in the last year or two.

That's because as human being we don't appreciate what we have until it's gone, Not like Haim wa a national treasure or anything.

It also brings us face to face with our own mortality and that's something that no one like to joke about. Well except maybe the new kid bunsher. :p

LoSTBoY
12-Mar-2010, 03:23 PM
My brother loved this guy, said like it felt he lost a family member.

I can see where he is coming from as he absolutely loves Lostboys (even more than me!) and he watched Corey grow up along with himself.

I have to say I was a little distraught when my brother phoned me to tell me, kind of like an old acquaintance passing on.

"Burn rubber, does not mean, warp speed!"

:(

DjfunkmasterG
04-May-2010, 09:45 PM
Died of Natural Causes

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni2323409/

BillyRay
04-May-2010, 09:55 PM
Natural Causes?

Color me suprised.

Is this kind of How Elvis and Morrison both died of "Heart Conditions"?

A lifetime of drugs will weaken the ol' ticker.

That's why they call it Dope, son...

bassman
04-May-2010, 10:19 PM
Natural causes? I guess it's natural if you're a constant drug abuser....

DjfunkmasterG
04-May-2010, 11:22 PM
Probably had something to do with it... Drugs do weaken your immune system when abused.