PDA

View Full Version : 'Alien' Quadrilogy on Blu-Ray. GIMME!

3pidemiC
11-Mar-2010, 12:47 PM
This is taking waaaay too long to come out. Although the news is a little old it is still nice to see that the Alien Quadrilogy will eventually come out on Blu-ray....someday...

Sigourney Weaver Avatar Interview Yields Aliens Blu-ray Scoop

December 14, 2009

Sigourney Weaver recently sat down with the LA Times to talk about her role as brash cigarette smoking botanist Grace Augustine in James Cameron's Avatar. Like any good reporter, interviewer Geoff Boucher made sure to ask Weaver what's next on her plate. The answer is just what Blu-ray adopters have been waiting for.

Sometime in the next few weeks, Sigourney will sit down and watch Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection to record new audio commentaries for the upcoming release of the Quadrilogy on Blu-ray Disc.

"I've never done that, watched all of them in a row," Weaver said. "I just recently made my [19-year-old] daughter watch them. She had never seen them before, believe it or not. I think she just prefers to think of me as good ol' mom, you know, not some person running around a spaceship with a flamethrower."

The Alien Quadrilogy should make its way to Blu-ray either to coincide with Avatar's Blu-ray debut or in November to time Black Friday and the busy holiday shopping season. The former would be preferred as it would put the coveted discs in our hands sooner rather than later. But all indications point towards this set hitting stores sometime in 2010.

SymphonicX
11-Mar-2010, 12:53 PM
Great news.
I just wish they'd drop the made up word "quadrilogy". So annoying.

Danny
11-Mar-2010, 12:53 PM
god, every time i see that on a box i want to get a sharpie and write tetroloy or quartet. the nonce-word on the aliens box sets always really bugs me way mroe than it should.

-and these are on my blu-ray list after the back to the future trilogy.

SymphonicX
11-Mar-2010, 01:19 PM
shouldn't that be a threeology?

bassman
11-Mar-2010, 01:19 PM
There are so many great series' and films yet to be released on BR. It's amazing it's taken them this long. Alien, BTTF, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, etc.

Well loved films like those are still waiting, but all kinds of cheap shit has gotten the BR treatment. It's crazy...

I actually just recently watched Alien - Alien 3 upscaled and it was pretty damn good looking.

LouCipherr
11-Mar-2010, 02:24 PM
Well, I personally hope they do take their time releasing this and other flicks. There is nothing worse than waiting for a HD release of a movie just to find out the jackasses at the studios used a crappy source (like the original DVD release) instead of restoring it like, for example, the way they did Carpenter's The Thing. THAT is an excellent example of how to restore a flick for HD! You can see individual snowflakes falling on a white background! (at least on my HD-DVD version you can). That movie looks like it was made last year, and the only way you can tell it wasn't was by their hairstyles and the computer MacCready was using to play chess. Otherwise, you'd be hard pressed to tell that movie is decades old.

I hope they do this with the Alien flicks, although to be honest, I really only think the first two are worthwhile (the 2nd one being the top-dog IMO).

The whole "quadrilogy" thing is stupid though. Meh, guess it's just a marketing gimmick or something, I dunno, but it does sound ridiculous.

bassman
11-Mar-2010, 02:28 PM
I hope they do this with the Alien flicks, although to be honest, I really only think the first two are worthwhile (the 2nd one being the top-dog IMO).

Have you seen the Assembly Cut of Alien 3? It's :thumbsup:

SymphonicX
11-Mar-2010, 02:47 PM
I'd love to see that cut, can you give us a spoiler free idea of what it's like?

bassman
11-Mar-2010, 03:00 PM
Longer, better looking, different birthing scene, fleshed out characterisation (ie. Golic), more intense and claustrophobic, etc. Very much like the first Alien in many ways.

^^

What he said.:D

Basically it just makes the theatrical cut look worse while at the same time shows that Alien 3 could've been a classic like the first two had the studio left David Fincher alone...

And since you asked for no spoilers, i'll just say that it cuts out a lot of the stupid shit that made the theatrical cut so irritating. I highly recommend this cut of Alien 3. As Capn said, it's similar to the original film.

bassman
11-Mar-2010, 03:12 PM
As capn mentioned, I'm baffled that they cut out the character of Golic. In the theatrical cut, you see him go coo-coo for no apparent reason and then he disappears for the rest of the film. He actually plays a HUGE part in the Assembly Cut. Very cool part, might I add.

I wanna know who the asshole was that said, "we should have the alien come from a dog because Ox's are too big.":annoyed:

bassman
11-Mar-2010, 03:23 PM
I bet Paul McGann went to the premiere of Alien 3 with his family and said to them after, 'I'm telling you I was in that movie dammit!' :lol:

I think he actually says that happened in the making-of doc. Something along the lines of "I had a hard time convincing my friends that I was in the film for more than just a cameo".:lol:

LouCipherr
11-Mar-2010, 03:39 PM
Have you seen the Assembly Cut of Alien 3? It's :thumbsup:

I can't say I have, but now my interest is piqued. Is it really that much better than the theatrical cut? If so I might need to check it out.

bassman
11-Mar-2010, 03:56 PM
Yeah....it really is a different film. Just put on the "special edition marker" or whatever and you'll see that more than half the film has been replaced.:cool:

darth los
11-Mar-2010, 04:01 PM
Yeah....it really is a different film. Just put on the "special edition marker" or whatever and you'll see that more than half the film has been replaced.:cool:

Well, i might have to give it another watch then, because the theatrical cut didn't knock my socks off.

What's the most significant difference between the to cuts iyo?

:cool:

RustyHicks
11-Mar-2010, 04:09 PM
Now I have to go and watch the other cut as well, it's been a long while since I've seen Alien 3. I have the box set on DVD and now new commentaries on BR..Oh boy, I may have to buy the BR version just for the new commentaries

bassman
11-Mar-2010, 04:26 PM
Well, i might have to give it another watch then, because the theatrical cut didn't knock my socks off.

What's the most significant difference between the to cuts iyo?

Birth of the alien is different, new/extended characters and arcs, no chest burster at the end, enhanced CGI, etc. Just the general mood of the film is changed. Feels more like a clausterphobic thriller like the original.

3pidemiC
11-Mar-2010, 06:29 PM
When I first watched the alternate cut of Alien 3 back when the Quadrilogy was released, it really made me appreciate the film so much more. Ever since then, I really get irritated when the third film is trashed because it really holds up well and has become one of my favorite Sci-Fi flicks. Certainly, it's behind Alien and Aliens (my all-time favorite film), but still high on my list. :)

LouCipherr
11-Mar-2010, 07:25 PM

More than half has been replaced?! Holy shit, what happened with the theatrical cut then?!

Well, that means this warrants another re-watching. I have my doubts, but I trust your guys opinions on this so I'll give it a shot. :D

I'm assuming this cut is widely available?

bassman
11-Mar-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm assuming this cut is widely available?

It's in the Quadrilogy set:

http://images.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=tbn&q=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_O8lerKi-54U/R12IRDjXXVI/AAAAAAAAAPI/Uzpr9SHn4yI/s320/Alien%2BQuadrilogy.jpg&usg=AFQjCNFAPAjrzPJipal4BDSK9Dx-lTnYuA

And also the 2 disc Collectors Edition of Alien 3:

http://images.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=tbn&q=http://i8.tinypic.com/4cxc8hu.jpg&usg=AFQjCNGy0WQtOKdgt0LDN-lThBlGxOfwEA

As for the "half" comment - maybe that was a bit exaggerated. There is a TON of new footage in this film though. New beginning, new ending, new character storylines, etc. It's not one of those "unrated" cuts with only 60 seconds of alternate footage...

Legion2213
11-Mar-2010, 08:06 PM
Lou, to put it bluntly, it SHITS on the theatrical, and is as up there with the first two movies easily. You wont be disappointed.

What he said. :)

Looking forward to this BD box set. :cool:

darth los
11-Mar-2010, 08:20 PM
What he said. :)

Looking forward to this BD box set. :cool:

Now days, Blu ray is the only thing worth getting. I haven't bought a standard dvd in over 2 years man.

Legion2213
11-Mar-2010, 08:27 PM
I've only had my BDP for just over a month, and only have 20 BD's, but I haven't bought a DVD since getting it...the future is Blu...they look so God damn good! :)

(it's gonna be a bit of a bastard having to gradually replace my entire DVD collection though). :(

bassman
11-Mar-2010, 08:30 PM
(it's gonna be a bit of a bastard having to gradually replace my entire DVD collection though). :(

That's something I don't necessarily agree with. I've re-purchased my favorites, but for the most part regular dvds look damn fine when up scaled. That's generally the argument I make to BR haters. You don't have to get rid of your dvds or re-buy them all on BR. They work just as well(better actually) in your BR player as they did in your dvd player...

Legion2213
11-Mar-2010, 08:38 PM
No, I have no objection to watching upscalled DVD's, my previous DVD player did that and it genuinely breathed new life into a lot of my collection, but I have a lot of movies in my DVD collection that I would really like to replace with BD's (I also have a lot of series like "Farscape", "B5", "Stargate SG1 & SGA", "Survivors" and a stack of comedy series that will probably never be available on BD anyway).

That said, if I can replace something with BD, I probably will.

darth los
11-Mar-2010, 08:54 PM
I too have found no need to buy movies i already have. However, when they are dirt cheap, as dawn and day were at best buy 2 weeks ago (12 bucks a pop) I just have to snatch them up.

bassman
11-Mar-2010, 09:00 PM
I too have found no need to buy movies i already have. However, when they are dirt cheap, as dawn and day were at best buy 2 weeks ago (12 bucks a pop) I just have to snatch them up.

HA! Got mine for less than 10.:moon:

That's another good pro-BR argument. They're coming out dirt cheap these days. Some are even cheaper than standard DVD...

Legion2213
11-Mar-2010, 09:04 PM
I've seen reviews of some flicks I have on DVD and the BD's blow them away, I can't live knowing that things like "Zulu" and "The Fifth Element" are out there, looking fresh as a daisy and clear as a bell!

I'm a marketers wet dream... :o

bassman
11-Mar-2010, 09:06 PM
But those are some of your favorite films, correct? That's what I've done. I've bought my absolute top 10-20 films on BR, but just kept the so-so favorites on up scaled dvd. It's been working out pretty well so far.

And with BR prices dropping every day it get's easier to buy the not-so-favorites should you choose.

Legion2213
11-Mar-2010, 09:12 PM
They are definitely becoming cheaper, I think Warner have stated flat out that they want people to buy/uptake BD's over DVD's and have done loads of deals. Over here in the UK, there seem to be three price brackets for BD

£6-£7 for unpopular/older releases
£10 for middle of the road stuff
£15-£18 for newer stuff.

And yeah, favorite movies are a priority at the moment. :)

LouCipherr
18-Mar-2010, 12:41 PM
Well, I FINALLY found someone with the Alien box set, so I'm set to check out this Assembly Cut of Alien 3 this weekend. I sure hope it's better than the theatrical version. I'm definitely going to give it a chance though, 'cause there was potential in that 3rd flick.

Legion2213
24-Mar-2010, 06:50 PM
From Blu-ray.com...

More Details of Alien Anthology Blu-ray Surface

German site Bluray-disc.de has received an advance review copy of Minority Report (which is distributed in Europe by 20th Century Fox) to find that it opens with a short teaser for the upcoming Blu-ray edition of the Alien Anthology. After the extended tagline "In space no one can hear you scream – but on Blu-ray they can," it is revealed that the Anthology will consist of the movies Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection.

Additionally, according to the print edition of the UK movie magazine Empire, this release is being produced by Charles De Lauzirika, who is behind the BD releases of most of the movies directed by Sir Ridley Scott, including the monumental five-disc Blade Runner. De Lauzirika said that, while the Quadrilogy DVD was already very comprehensive, this Anthology Blu-ray set will blow it out of the water, with new extras and commentaries. Also, a new sound mix has been done for the extended edition of Alien 3, which involved bringing back some of the cast to reloop their dialogue.

Could be one of the best BD releases of 2010. :cool:

bassman
24-Mar-2010, 06:55 PM
oh man. I'm foaming at the mouth for this. Sounds well worth the double dip.

You ever see that new cut of 3, Lou?

LouCipherr
26-Mar-2010, 12:35 PM
I have it, but I haven't watched it yet - probably will this weekend. My schedule is so hectic I haven't had time to scratch my ass much less watch a movie.

Did I say that out loud? :D

I'll post once I've watched it. I am really interested to see how much different/better this is gonna be. We shall see.

bassman
07-Apr-2010, 03:50 PM
Great news....they dropped the bullshit "Quadrilogy" title. It is now the Alien Anthology. Packaging and details can be found here (http://forum.blu-ray.com/united-kingdom/96552-alien-quadrilogy-autumn-2009-a.html#post3114477).(a bit past halfway down the page)

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/9937/61146441.png

The collector's egg edition is probably a purchase for me.:D

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/15/59458502.png

Legion2213
07-Apr-2010, 03:58 PM
They've messed up the Egg IMO. It should be the original egg, not some alien morphing into it. :mad:

I would've been willing to pay a premium price for a replica egg, but not with the added alien...I mean it's not even a face hugger, it's a fully grown alien!

Fortunatley, both the black and white box sets look nice, I'll grab one of those. :)

bassman
07-Apr-2010, 04:05 PM
It's just a cool case, man. I don't think they were going for 100% screen accurate.:p And why finish off the alien body if it's going to be the back of the case anyway? Just have it go into the egg and it cuts down costs for them and then in turn, for us.

3pidemiC
08-Apr-2010, 12:23 AM
I just shat everywhere.

bassman
09-Apr-2010, 10:28 PM
Blu Ray Anthology Trailer

Wo-K7tQo4lQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&

3pidemiC
11-Apr-2010, 02:15 PM
!!!!!

bassman
25-Apr-2010, 07:35 PM
A small list of some of the new extra features. It's also reported that aside from the awesome documentaries already available, there will be an hour or more of new features for each of the four films.

•Shock & Awe: The Return of Alien with Danny Boyle [25:01 Min.]
•Dailies: James Remar as Hicks [3:46 Min.]
•Creating Alien Sounds from the Scratch [2:23 Min.]
•Fincher’s Alienation [3:40 Min.]
•Renny Harlin quits [1:51 Min.]
•Newborn Dick Removal [1:43 Min.]
•Considering Giger’s Legacy [3:03 Min.]

Interested to see what Boyle's ideas were....

EvilNed
25-Apr-2010, 11:13 PM
James Remar as Hicks!? Haha, that'll be a blast!

bassman
15-Jul-2010, 06:18 PM
Fox finally lets the cat out of the bag. http://bluray.ign.com/articles/110/1106154p3.html

http://bluraymedia.ign.com/bluray/image/article/110/1106154/alien-anthology-20100714025533820_640w.jpg

Holy shit this is a fan's wet dream....

3pidemiC
15-Jul-2010, 10:25 PM
I just shat everywhere.

ProfessorChaos
15-Jul-2010, 11:33 PM
of course you did.

DubiousComforts
15-Jul-2010, 11:41 PM
Well, I personally hope they do take their time releasing this and other flicks. There is nothing worse than waiting for a HD release of a movie just to find out the jackasses at the studios used a crappy source

Sure there is: waiting a loooooong time for a HD release of a movie just to find out the jackasses at the studios used a crappy source.

Studios care little about being prompt when it comes to jackassedness.

EDIT: This is cool as all hell.

http://bluraymedia.ign.com/bluray/image/article/110/1106154/alien-anthology-20100714025542429.jpg

Fox's ALIEN Comicon set-up

Legion2213
16-Jul-2010, 12:03 PM
Standard box is a really good price as well (considering what you get).

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/15844542/Alien-Anthology-Box-Set/Product.html

"In space, nobody can hear you cream your jeans"

acealive1
20-Jul-2010, 02:30 AM
i have no interest in blu ray, but aliens on that format if transferred right will kick alot of ass

bassman
20-Jul-2010, 11:54 AM
i have no interest in blu ray, but aliens on that format if transferred right will kick alot of ass

I have a feeling this set will be the reason Blu Ray player sales are about to go up. If I wasn't already using the format, this would probably be the catalyst that made me take the dive.

So excited for this...

RustyHicks
25-Jul-2010, 03:20 PM
If you're really in the collectors mood, there is this blu ray version
which looks wicket
http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/15844567/Alien-Anthology-Limited-Edition-Collector-Set-With-Illuminated-Egg-Statue/Product.html

bassman
11-Sep-2010, 07:59 PM
Glorious Blu Ray screens:

Alien (http://hcc.techradar.com/playback/coming-soon/blu-ray-screenshot-gallery-alien-anthology-alien-06-09-10)

Aliens (http://hcc.techradar.com/playback/coming-soon/blu-ray-screenshot-gallery-alien-anthology-aliens-07-09-10)

:eek:

I didn't bother with Alien 3 or Resurrection, but you can find them through te same site.

Legion2213
12-Sep-2010, 03:48 AM
Glorious Blu Ray screens:

Alien (http://hcc.techradar.com/playback/coming-soon/blu-ray-screenshot-gallery-alien-anthology-alien-06-09-10)

Aliens (http://hcc.techradar.com/playback/coming-soon/blu-ray-screenshot-gallery-alien-anthology-aliens-07-09-10)

:eek:

I didn't bother with Alien 3 or Resurrection, but you can find them through te same site.

fap

fap

fap

:D

bassman
08-Nov-2010, 07:12 PM
So anybody here pick this up yet? I passed it up in favor of the Toy Story set, but still looking to get it soon. Curious as to what my fellow hpotd'ers thought?

bassman
27-Dec-2010, 12:54 PM
Turns out the little lady got me this set for Christmas.

Alien - INCREDIBLE. The picture on this flick is jaw dropping. A definite "show off" Blu Ray.

Aliens - Not too sure about this one. Yes, this is the best the film has ever looked, but something is funny about it. It doesn't quite feel the same as I remember the film. A lot of that grainy look seems to be missing in some scenes. Not the bad grain, but the good stuff. If that makes any sense. And some shots seem a bit blurry. But overall these are minor complaints as this is the best the film has ever looked.

Alien 3 - Haven't watched the whole film yet, but I jumped around and it seems about average. Good picture, but not quite up to par with the first film.

Alien Resurrection - Haven't got around to it. Not in a rush, either. :p

Special Features - I'll be going through these for weeks to come. Aside from the already available top notch feature length "making of" docs for all four films, there are also quite a bit of new things. Actually....it's got EVERYTHING. Even down to continuity polaroids. It's THAT much. Several made-for-tv docs that cover the entire series, new deleted scenes, yadda yadda. One feature that's minor, but I thought was cool is that there is a sort of bridge between discs. Say if you're watching the first film and want to dive immediately into the sequel, you remove the disc but the screen stays up showing images from Weyland Yutani. Then as soon as you pop in the next disc you're immediately off to the start of the next. Like I said....minor, but cool.

My opinion(so far): BUY IT. One of the best looking and most extensive sets to date. You can't go wrong.

Legion2213
27-Dec-2010, 04:58 PM
This was on my crimbo list but it didn't happen, so I'll probably pick it up in the new year along with SGU season 1.

The whole set seems like a must own though...nice snag, Bass. :cool:

bassman
11-Mar-2011, 04:25 PM
If you're not interested in spending the extra money on the full set, the individual releases (http://www.joblo.com/digital/index.php?id=8441) will be out on May 10th. The downside is that it appears these will be only the movies. So if you want the special features, you'll have to fork out for the anthology set. Which is worth every penny, imo. As I've said before....the first three films are must-owns for any blu ray collection.

Doc
13-Mar-2011, 09:02 AM
So, which boxset is preferable? Or do they all contain the same set of special features?

bassman
13-Mar-2011, 02:46 PM
There's really only two sets. The Alien Quadrilogy DVD Set and The Alien Anthology Blu Ray. The Anthology Blu Ray set has more special features and of course better picture, but the Quadrilogy already has hours and hours of features. The individual films on Blu Ray are reported to have nothing....just the movie.