PDA

View Full Version : My latest blu-ray haul and some comments

LouCipherr
11-Mar-2010, 07:50 PM
Welp, over the past week or so, I've picked up quite a few Blu-Rays so I figured I'd share them so you guys could have a good laugh at my selections, plus I'll comment a bit on the transfers, sound, etc.

First up... Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Say what you want about the content of the film, but the blu-ray transfer of this movie is stellar. I really like the opening of the film (the re-introduction of Indy and the warehouse scene) and I think some of the movie is entertaining, although the "alien" aspect was just a bit weird. My son loved the movie, and since it's the only Indy flick on Blu at this point, I picked it up.

Kill Bill Vol. 1&2 - not much to say about this other than the transfers are phenomenal. They really took their time mastering these two for BR. There's not much going on as far as surround sound in this, but the sound is balanced very evenly and the dialouge comes through crystal clear amidst the music and other sound fx.

Pirates 1/Curse of the Black Pearl - Now, if you wanna talk about incredible mastering of a flick for HD, stop right here. I have around 30-35 HD-DVD's in my collection and right now, about 10 blu-ray discs. This one tops them ALL. Not only does the picture look so 3D you feel you could put your hand into the TV screen, but the sound through my 5.1 system just flat-out ROCKS.

Stir of Echoes - my wife got this for me for my b-day. Wasn't my first choice for a movie, but the transfer looks pretty damn good. Hey, I liked the flick (even though Dj laughed at me on the phone for owning it! :p :D).

I, Robot - ok, yeah, it's one big 90 minute Nike commerical - so what? Visually stunning in BR, and I like will smith. Bite me. :lol: Sound is excellent as well.

Zombieland - another one you can say what you like about the movie itself, the transfer is one of top-notch quality. Crisp, clean picture and great sound too.

Hot Fuzz - This one in particular, I didn't buy. Dj got it for my son for his b-day along with a BR player because we happened to get our son a 32" LCD for xmas and Dj figured he might as well have something to exploit the HD capabilites. While I think this transfer does indeed look good, it pales in comparison to the crispness of the HD-DVD version, which has the most incredible definition - I can count the pores on Simon Pegg's face! It's worth having if you don't already have the HD-DVD version, but the BR is not up to the standards of the HD-DVD. I will say this, however - the sound on this, especially in surround, is completely off the hook! My subwoofer was so loud and active at the end of the movie it knocked down one of my framed movie posters hanging on the wall! The sound will literally bring the house down if you're not careful!

Dogma - I love me some Kevin Smith, and this is my favorite flick of his. Picture quality is fantastic, a shit-ton of extras (all the stuff that was on the two-disc SD-DVD version) and the sound is quite pleasant in 5.1.

Mr. & Mrs. Smith - Ok, ok, no, I'm not a Brad Pitt fan for the most part (the wife is, though... :barf:) but I will say this - quite a nice picture. I didn't watch this one with the surround on (it was too late in the house, didn't want to wake up the kid on a school night), so I can't comment on the sound, but the picture was enough of an improvement to upgrad from the SD if you already own it and like the movie. This is one of the few Pitt flicks I really like. Not sure why though.

That's it for the blu-rays. FYI, I don't just pick up "anything" on blu-ray. I only pick up the blu-rays that have top-notch transfers. Like I said in a previous thread, there's some idiot studios that either use the SD-DVD as the master to create the BR, or they use some other shit master, but the ones above I can honestly say they took their time and did an excellent job on remastering them for HD.

On a side note, I did pick up the newely released Friday the 13th: The Series set (3 seasons, 17 discs and standard def), which was one of my favorite shows as a kid. I think Louise Robey ("Mickey" in the show) is what started my lifetime redhead fetish. :lol: :p

DjfunkmasterG
12-Mar-2010, 12:37 PM
Don't apologize of Mr. & Mrs. Smith.... I enjoy it too.

Stir of Echoes on the other hand... you should be begging forgiveness on that one. :p

LouCipherr
12-Mar-2010, 02:59 PM
Aww c'mon, what was so bad about that flick? It's better than some of the other Bacon flicks out there.. :p

DjfunkmasterG
12-Mar-2010, 05:02 PM
Not better than Tremors

Danny
12-Mar-2010, 05:03 PM
Not better than Tremors

is there a kevin bacon film better than tremors?

LouCipherr
12-Mar-2010, 05:08 PM

I don't think there is. Besides, there has never been a better quote in any other Bacon film than....

"Out cold, my ass, he's dead! We killed it. We killed it! Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck YOU!"

Not only that, his last name is Bacon. Is there anything tastier? :lol:

(awaiting the inevitable "ewww, you want to eat Kevin Bacon!" comment)

DjfunkmasterG
13-Mar-2010, 05:16 AM
I don't think there is. Besides, there has never been a better quote in any other Bacon film than....

"Out cold, my ass, he's dead! We killed it. We killed it! Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck YOU!"

Not only that, his last name is Bacon. Is there anything tastier? :lol:

(awaiting the inevitable "ewww, you want to eat Kevin Bacon!" comment)

I always knew you were gay. :p

MinionZombie
13-Mar-2010, 10:23 AM
Yeah, I figured Lou was all up for chomping on a Kevin Bacon bun ... ... bacon bun/roll/bap ... anyway...

Tremors rocks ... Friday 13th is another awesome Kevin Bacon movie, but I'd give the edge to Tremors easily.

Mr & Mrs Smith is a good movie, don't appologise. Hell, Jolie is fit as fook in that movie, and a whole bunch of shit gets blown up in the process.

Danny
13-Mar-2010, 11:14 AM
Yeah, I figured Lou was all up for chomping on a Kevin Bacon bun ... ... bacon bun/roll/bap ... anyway...

i dont even want to facepalm, i just feel bad for you.

A2sk8SxU6-Q

MinionZombie
13-Mar-2010, 12:09 PM
Well you see, Sir hellsing of Meme, the thing with puns is that they're intentionally bad. :rolleyes:

LouCipherr
13-Mar-2010, 08:54 PM
mmmmmmmm..... bacon......

:lol:

Mr.G
13-Mar-2010, 10:15 PM

Friday the 13th....his ass gets killed!

axlish
14-Mar-2010, 12:08 AM

White Water Summer

LouCipherr
16-Mar-2010, 05:59 PM
I did like Quicksilver... is that wrong?! :lol:

It's not better than Tremors, but it's an enjoyable Bacon flick.

mmmmm... bacon! Time for a BLT - a Bacon, Lettuce and Tremors sandwich! :lol: