PDA

View Full Version : Unproduced Romero Scripts

krakenslayer
11-Mar-2010, 09:49 PM
Just been browsing through the records of the US Copyright Office and... well.. it's INCREDIBLE how many unproduced scripts George has registered:

Bolts By Michael Gornick & George Romero 1985 (Laurel Entertainment)

Copperhead Conquers the Warhawks by George Romero and Jim Shooter 1983 (Laurel Entertainment and Marvel Entertainment Group)

Imagine That story by George Romero; screenplay by Donald Bohlinger & J. Nathan 1986 (Laurel Entertainment) (actually there is a record of a treatment for this film being copyrighted in 1981 and many, many different versions of a screenplay including revisions by John Harrison, Michael McDowell, Donald Bohlinger, and James Nathan)

The Devil’s Advocate teleplay/director’s shooting script by George A. Romero 1985 (Laurel TV)

Frankenstein film treatment by George A. Romero 1982 (Laurel Entertainment)

Generic Movie film treatment by George A. Romero 1982 (Laurel Entertainment)

Gunperson screenplay by George A. Romero 1973 (Laurel Entertainment)

Hoffmann - through the mansions of the moon treatment for a musical play by George A. Romero 1985 (Promittor, Inc.)

Jacaranda Joe screenplay by George A. Romero 1994 (Sanibel Films, Inc.)

Knights original screenplay, first draft by George A. Romero 1979 (The Laurel Group, Inc.) (could this be related to Knightriders, a sequel perhaps?)

Old soldiers never die, Satan sends them back!: Day of the dead by George A. Romero 1983 (Laurel Entertainment, Inc.) (what the hell is this?)

The Phantom Strikes by George A. Romero 1982 (Laurel Entertainment)

Tales from the Darkside: The Movie 2 by George A. Romero, Michael McDowell, and Gahan Wilson 1992 (Laurel-DSM, Inc.) (I had no idea a sequel was written!!)

Whiz Kid screenplay by George A. Romero 1986 (Sanibel Films)

Synopsis of The Necronomicon by George A. Romero 1979 (The Laurel Group, Inc./Filmauro, S.R.L)

Some of those I have heard of before, most, however, I haven't. Iiinteresting.

There are also several that I know of that don't appear in the Copyright records - Resident Evil, While I Sleep (or whatever it was), etc.

Also, did you guys know about this???:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072196/trivia

krakenslayer
11-Mar-2010, 10:26 PM
Romero shot ten minutes of footage for a Lenzi flick? Holy fuck! :stunned:

I KNOW! My jaw bounced off the desk when I saw that! Is it true?

thxleo
11-Mar-2010, 11:25 PM
Just been browsing through the records of the US Copyright Office and... well.. it's INCREDIBLE how many unproduced scripts George has registered:

Bolts By Michael Gornick & George Romero 1985 (Laurel Entertainment)

Copperhead Conquers the Warhawks by George Romero and Jim Shooter 1983 (Laurel Entertainment and Marvel Entertainment Group)

Imagine That story by George Romero; screenplay by Donald Bohlinger & J. Nathan 1986 (Laurel Entertainment) (actually there is a record of a treatment for this film being copyrighted in 1981 and many, many different versions of a screenplay including revisions by John Harrison, Michael McDowell, Donald Bohlinger, and James Nathan)

The Devil’s Advocate teleplay/director’s shooting script by George A. Romero 1985 (Laurel TV)

Frankenstein film treatment by George A. Romero 1982 (Laurel Entertainment)

Generic Movie film treatment by George A. Romero 1982 (Laurel Entertainment)

Gunperson screenplay by George A. Romero 1973 (Laurel Entertainment)

Hoffmann - through the mansions of the moon treatment for a musical play by George A. Romero 1985 (Promittor, Inc.)

Jacaranda Joe screenplay by George A. Romero 1994 (Sanibel Films, Inc.)

Knights original screenplay, first draft by George A. Romero 1979 (The Laurel Group, Inc.) (could this be related to Knightriders, a sequel perhaps?)

Old soldiers never die, Satan sends them back!: Day of the dead by George A. Romero 1983 (Laurel Entertainment, Inc.) (what the hell is this?)

The Phantom Strikes by George A. Romero 1982 (Laurel Entertainment)

Tales from the Darkside: The Movie 2 by George A. Romero, Michael McDowell, and Gahan Wilson 1992 (Laurel-DSM, Inc.) (I had no idea a sequel was written!!)

Whiz Kid screenplay by George A. Romero 1986 (Sanibel Films)

Synopsis of The Necronomicon by George A. Romero 1979 (The Laurel Group, Inc./Filmauro, S.R.L)

Some of those I have heard of before, most, however, I haven't. Iiinteresting.

There are also several that I know of that don't appear in the Copyright records - Resident Evil, While I Sleep (or whatever it was), etc.

Also, did you guys know about this???:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072196/trivia

Kraken,
We must have a mind meld going on, because I was recently checking the copyright records for Romero too.

The Devil's Advocate was an episode from the Tales from the Darkside t.v. show, starring Jerry Stiller.

Knights was the original title for Knightriders.

Old soldiers never die, Satan sends them back!Day of the Dead was actually the second draft of Romero's original Day script. The first one according to the copyright office was 216 pages. The second draft(Soldiers) was 145 pages, again according to the copyright office.

krakenslayer
11-Mar-2010, 11:38 PM
Kraken,
We must have a mind meld going on, because I was recently checking the copyright records for Romero too.

The Devil's Advocate was an episode from the Tales from the Darkside t.v. show, starring Jerry Stiller.

Knights was the original title for Knightriders.

Old soldiers never die, Satan sends them back!Day of the Dead was actually the second draft of Romero's original Day script. The first one according to the copyright office was 216 pages. The second draft(Soldiers) was 145 pages, again according to the copyright office.

So is Soldiers the long lost shooting script for Day?

axlish
11-Mar-2010, 11:49 PM
There was a guy selling a pitch booklet for Copperhead on eBay recently which contained several drawn images. Shall I post the images I snagged from the auction page?

krakenslayer
11-Mar-2010, 11:54 PM
There was a guy selling a pitch booklet for Copperhead on eBay recently which contained several drawn images. Shall I post the images I snagged from the auction page?

Do it. DO IT. :D

thxleo
11-Mar-2010, 11:54 PM
So is Soldiers the long lost shooting script for Day?

It was his second pass at it; He made three drafts of his original story all together.

axlish
12-Mar-2010, 02:39 AM
Here are some pics of the Mongrel / Copperhead project pitch packet.

axlish
12-Mar-2010, 02:40 AM
couple more Mongrel images...

fulci fan
12-Mar-2010, 03:58 PM
Romero shot ten minutes of footage for a Lenzi flick? Holy fuck! :stunned:

Wow. It would have been even cooler if he shot some stuff for Nightmare City or Cannibal Ferox or something.

krakenslayer
12-Mar-2010, 09:30 PM
Here are some pics of the Mongrel / Copperhead project pitch packet.

couple more Mongrel images...

Awesome stuff, Axlish. Looks like it would have been a major, MAJOR Hollywood big budget movie too. I'm surprised I've not heard about this before.

randomness
12-Nov-2010, 05:02 PM
http://www.boblayton.com/Archive/October%2005/oct05.artfind.htm

"In 1984, Jackson (Butch) Guice and I were approached by editor-in-chief Jim Shooter to create 48 pages of storyboards for a movie collaboration between Marvel Comics and legendary independent film director, George A. Romero ("Night of the Living Dead", Day of the Dead").

The working title of the film was "COPPERHEAD" and it was to be Romero's foray into mainstream filmmaking.

Jim and George, who were fellow hometown Pittsburgh, PA boys, put their heads together and came up with an ambitious story of love, betrayal and war set in a post-apocalyptic future. The title, "COPPERHEAD", was derived from the color of the cyborg's metal skull.

Although my recollections of the actual storyline is sketchy (no script or plot synopsis has survived), the basic concept was about a soldier, transformed into a high-tech killer cyborg, who rebels from his fascist creators and leads a underground rebellion against them. This was basically RoboCop (with a little Deathlok thrown in) and the Terminator--before either of them ever existed.

As you will see from the pages, as I present them over the next few months, this was a very ambitious project, with huge, sweeping visuals and massive SPX. It was to be Romero's "Star Wars".

(On a side note: as a result of this labor-intensive project, I was pulled off of the project I was developing for Marvel at the time--a reboot of Power Man and Iron Fist to create the storyboards for COPPERHEAD. Ironically, neither project would ever see the light of day.)

Jim and George had the notion to have Jackson and I create the storyboards as comic book pages, so that when the time came to produce the comic adaptation, we could utilize the actual storyboards from the film for the book's contents.

But, alas--it was not to be.

Making a film of this magnitude would require massive funding.

But--as the saying goes in Hollywood, "You're only as good as your last film."

In 1985, Romero's "Day of the Dead" premiered to lukewarm reviews and disappointing box office receipts.

The powers-that-be determined that George would find that raising millions of dollars for a risky and ambitious project like COPPERHEAD would be next to impossible, given that his last film tanked.

As a result, the project died and the forty-some pages of COPPERHEAD art went into the Marvel art vaults, never to be seen again---until now."

Sammich
16-Nov-2010, 11:36 PM
The Necronomicon one would be interesting to read.

There really hasn't been very many noteable movies based on the HP Lovecraft stories. Romero should do At the Mountains of Madness since Guillermo Del Toro keeps putting it off.