PDA

View Full Version : The Big 3D Scam

bassman
17-Mar-2010, 05:14 PM
With Avatar recently being a big water cooler subject and many more films coming in the format, I found this article concerning REAL 3D and FAKE 3D to be pretty interesting. Some good advice to keep in mind when you're being told that something is "3D"....

http://gizmodo.com/5493832/the-movie-studios-big-3d-scam

In the end, do it right or just don't do it. Or more importantly, for all the studio execs out there, just because we can doesn't mean we should.

Legion2213
17-Mar-2010, 05:30 PM
More 3D gubbins...

"3D TV buyers face big extras bill"

http://tech.uk.msn.com/news/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=152537512

blind2d
17-Mar-2010, 05:36 PM
All right, so this is just part of an entire societal issue here. The real problem is that entertainment companies have managed to convince the populace that real life doesn't look good enough. We have to make it HD, 3D, or Blu-D or else people don't think it's good enough, when in actuality it is. Technology just keeps going too far, and nobody is cracking down on it because they're getting paid! It's like... a scam within the scam! 3D was cool in its inception, but now? Why do people care? It's just a fun novelty, but people are gorging themselves with it. It's unhealthy, I tell you! And what's the point? It's not like the movie gets better. Being "in" the action? Isn't that what video games are for? And isn't cinema meant to be an escape? I don't know, it just doesn't seem right. Again, working less for more results. Lazy nation, we are it.

bassman
17-Mar-2010, 05:42 PM
All right, so this is just part of an entire societal issue here. The real problem is that entertainment companies have managed to convince the populace that real life doesn't look good enough. We have to make it HD, 3D, or Blu-D or else people don't think it's good enough, when in actuality it is.

Nobody is forcing HD on us yet. Eventually it will be the norm, but as of now nobody is making you move up to BR. And BTW....you sound like someone that hasn't yet seen your favorite films in the glory of full 1080p.:p It's beautiful, but you've got to remember that it's a luxury, not a requirement.

And what's the point? It's not like the movie gets better. Being "in" the action? Isn't that what video games are for? And isn't cinema meant to be an escape? I don't know, it just doesn't seem right.

If done correctly(Avatar) it very well can pull you into the story. Seeing that flick was like looking through a window into another world. But that's the point of this article if you read it - Films shot in 3D(with two simultaneous cameras) and corrected in post production can be a more immersive experience. But then you've also got the ones that are shot in 2D and later converted. Basically cutting up the image and making it out of focus. Those are the gimmicks.

darth los
17-Mar-2010, 05:52 PM
Well, that was a good tutorial on how 3d works. I saw Avatar in 3 D and i must say that after not seeing a 3 D film since the 80's I was pleasantly suprised. Although not perfect the technology has come a long way from those cardboard frames and turquoise and red lenses.

Imagine my suprise when i saw clear frames! :stunned:

They actually look like real sunglasses. And the effects were much better i might add.

:cool:

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

All right, so this is just part of an entire societal issue here. The real problem is that entertainment companies have managed to convince the populace that real life doesn't look good enough. We have to make it HD, 3D, or Blu-D or else people don't think it's good enough, when in actuality it is. Technology just keeps going too far, and nobody is cracking down on it because they're getting paid! It's like... a scam within the scam! 3D was cool in its inception, but now? Why do people care? It's just a fun novelty, but people are gorging themselves with it. It's unhealthy, I tell you! And what's the point? It's not like the movie gets better. Being "in" the action? Isn't that what video games are for? And isn't cinema meant to be an escape? I don't know, it just doesn't seem right. Again, working less for more results. Lazy nation, we are it.

Dude might be because HD DOES look better. That is all.

:cool:

SRP76
17-Mar-2010, 05:55 PM
I will never ever see the need. I didn't care about 3D movies 25 years ago, so why should I orgasm over it now?

Eventually all the technical gimmicks will be forced upon us, and at that point, I will simply stop watching television and movies. I won't spend the money it will take to keep up.

slickwilly13
17-Mar-2010, 06:14 PM
The last 3d movie I watched was Freddy's Dead. I still have the glasses, too. I do remember seeing clear 3d glasses for a comic book less than 10 years ago.

Tricky
17-Mar-2010, 06:43 PM
Personally Im all for 3D, I hadnt seen a 3D film since the early 90's when I saw a crappy one at Bradfords Imax on a school trip with the red & blue lenses, so I went into Avatar with pretty low expectations but was completely blown away by how good it looked. Not all film makers attempting 3D films will have James Camerons budget so quality is going to vary, especially while the technology is fairly new, but I do think its the way to go now. Having seen Avatar I cant unsee how good it looked so its set a new benchmark for me :)

blind2d
18-Mar-2010, 02:27 AM
See Michael Jackson's Captain Eo. That's all the 3-D you'll ever need.
"Hooter!"

Danny
18-Mar-2010, 03:21 AM
Well, that was a good tutorial on how 3d works. I saw Avatar in 3 D and i must say that after not seeing a 3 D film since the 80's I was pleasantly suprised. Although not perfect the technology has come a long way from those cardboard frames and turquoise and red lenses.

Imagine my suprise when i saw clear frames! :stunned:

They actually look like real sunglasses. And the effects were much better i might add.

read something on i09 last month about people looking into these glasses because they might be causing lasting eye damage. that'd be kind of ironic.