PDA

View Full Version : Blu-rays Missing in Action

darth los
17-Mar-2010, 08:31 PM
There were some real suprises in there. No Monty Python? No Star wars? (Well, we know Lucas is a cash whore, so no suprise there.)

Any Blu rays that didn't make the list that you feel should be in the format?

The big hole in my BR collection are the original and remake of NOTLD. I mean WTF man?

I'm sure there are liscensing issues but they've gotta get that done man ! :(

http://bluray.ign.com/articles/107/1074934p1.html

Danny
17-Mar-2010, 08:34 PM
neat article, but its rant on cowboy bebop on bluray is a bit ironic since ive never seen it on dvd and ive been lookin'

-as for night and night 90 its possible they just might not make the transiiton, how many people have a flick on vhs just because it never went over to dvd?

bassman
17-Mar-2010, 08:43 PM
In time we'll see all of these. I remember it seemed like a lifetime before we got BTTF, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc on DVD.

And I thought Night already had a BR?:confused:

darth los
17-Mar-2010, 08:52 PM
In time we'll see all of these. I remember it seemed like a lifetime before we got BTTF, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc on DVD.

And I thought Night already had a BR?:confused:

If it was i wasn't told about it.

is there a link buddy?

Seriuosly, it really bothers me not having it. It's like my collection is not complete.

I'm sure you can relate to that. ;)

:cool:

bassman
17-Mar-2010, 09:39 PM
After searching....looks like i'm mistaken. It's on 2 BR's in Region 2, but not on R1. I could have sworn I've seen the 40th Anniversary release on BR....

JDFP
17-Mar-2010, 09:54 PM
Maybe if we're lucky, we'll get a VERY special BR release of only the 30th Anniversary edition of NOTLD to add to our blu-ray collection while the real version isn't released on BR for a number of years. Now, wouldn't that be a kick to the balls? :D :barf:

j.p.

Legion2213
18-Mar-2010, 07:44 AM
Unreleased titles that I would really like to see...

Night 1990
The Man Who Would Be King
Zulu Dawn
Sinbad Trilogy
Jason and the Argonauts
The Time Machine (original and remake)
Island of Dr Moreau (Kilmer/Brando version)
The Bounty (Gibson/Hopkins version)
The Mission
War of the Worlds (original)
Enemy Mine

Some good stuff that will be released this year according to various sources

Excalibur
The Ghost and the Darkness
Dune
Red Planet (this looks sweet on upscalled DVD, should look absolutely amazing on BD)
Alien Quadriligy
Dollars Trilogy
Gladiator remastered
Tombstone
Forbidden Planet
Ben Hur

Decent list of upcoming releases for 2010

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/releasedates.html

---------- Post added at 07:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

After searching....looks like i'm mistaken. It's on 2 BR's in Region 2, but not on R1. I could have sworn I've seen the 40th Anniversary release on BR....

The Network release of Night is not region locked, but unfortunately, it is a piss poor transfer for any Americans interested in adding it to their collection...

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Night-of-the-Living-Dead-Blu-ray/6665/

I got the Optimum release which is slightly cropped, but boasts far superior picture quality (Region B locked though)

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Night-of-the-Living-Dead-Blu-ray/1687/

Side by side picture comparison of the two...

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content/id/71678/night-of-the-living-dead.html

LouCipherr
18-Mar-2010, 12:39 PM
All I want is an excellent remaster of all the Indy films in HD, as well as a better mastering of Last Action Hero, since they screwed it up yet again for the BR release.

Speaking of Last Action Hero - why is that movie always essenitally shit on? They make it available here in the US on DVD, but in 4:3 format only (if there was ever a movie that needed to be widescreen, this was it - the pan & scan will make you seasick on this flick!) - then when they finally release it in HD, what do they do? Well, they put it back in it's native widescreen format, BUT, they didn't do a good transfer on the flick. I'll never understand the way they disown this movie over and over again. :mad:

Oh, and I'd like to see House on Haunted Hill in HD. They released House on Haunted Hill 2 (which was awful) on HD-DVD and on Blu, but not the first one.

I don't get the logic of these companies sometimes..

bassman
28-Jun-2010, 01:46 PM
Here's one you can mark off your "MIA" list. Universal just announced a 25th anniversary BTTF Blu Ray, baby!

http://www.joblo.com/universal-announces-bttf-trilogy-on-blu-ray

- In the Beginning...: Delve into the genesis of the project, casting, re-casting, the DeLorean, sets and overall pre-production.
- Time to Go: Production stories through the release of the first film.
- Keeping Time: The score and the songs of the Back to the Future Trilogy.
- Time Flies: Learn more about how the sequel came about, the futuristic look, the special and visual effects, recreating 1955 and more.
- Third Time’s the Charm: Learn about building a western town, Doc Brown’s love story, the casting of Mary Steenburgen, the train sequence and completing the Trilogy.
- The Test of Time: Back to the Future becomes a phenomenon! President Reagan quotes the film, the Back to the Future ride opens at Universal Studios theme park and fans rebuild the iconic DeLorean. The film’s cast and crew take a look back and discuss why these beloved movies live on.

Over two hours of new features. Wow....and I thought the DVDs had enough already. Also, you know if they went through the trouble of filming new docs that they should give the right attention to the transfer.

Yay.:hyper:

darth los
28-Jun-2010, 08:32 PM
Yeah, just saw this.

The extras! My god man! The extras ! :hyper:

Truthfully I would have bought a bare bones deal but this is just sweet like candy.

axlish
29-Jun-2010, 01:36 AM
Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Zombie, The Beyond, Return of the Living Dead, man I could type all day.

DjfunkmasterG
29-Jun-2010, 09:51 AM
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2287/pulpfiction.html

Was delayed.... which sucks, but maybe, they're working on a new master.

NOTLD (1968) is available on Region 1 Blu-Ray now: http://cgi.ebay.com/Night-Living-Dead-BLURAY-USA-NEW-George-Romero-/150438350537?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item2306d30ec9

NOTLD (1990) - when I was at Cinema Wasteland Tom Savini said Columbia will be doing a blu-ray and asked him about doing a director's cut.

Hope that helps.

major jay
29-Jun-2010, 10:34 AM
Zombie, The Beyond, Return of the Living Dead, man I could type all day.

http://www.amazon.com/Zombie-Holocaust-Blu-Ray-Combo/dp/B003QLECZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1276466582&sr=1-1
Looks like Zombie Holocaust is being released in September. I'm not a huge fan of this one but it's nice to see that a grade z zombie flick is getting released. Hopefully Shreik Show does a good job on it.
I'd love to see Blue Underground put out Nightmare City.

LouCipherr
29-Jun-2010, 12:47 PM
I want to know where my Blu-Gay Indiana Jones Box Set is as well as House on Haunted Hill. Untill then BR can blow me. :lol:

bassman
29-Jun-2010, 12:50 PM
House on Haunted Hill? Original or Remake?

Nevermind....that doesn't matter because they both suck.:p

LouCipherr
29-Jun-2010, 12:58 PM

Sure, to people who suck it does.

Two words: Geoffrey Rush

That is all. :p

bassman
29-Jun-2010, 01:00 PM
I just remembered that Gozer plays a part in the remake. So I'll give it a pass based on that discovery...

DjfunkmasterG
29-Jun-2010, 01:01 PM
Sure, to people who suck it does.

Two words: Geoffrey Rush

That is all. :p

"I'm Stephen Goddamn Price"

LouCipherr
29-Jun-2010, 01:05 PM
I just remembered that Gozer plays a part in the remake. So I'll give it a pass based on that discovery...

Oh dear lord...

http://www.chrkcheung.com/images/misc/facepalm.gif

"I'm Stephen Goddamn Price"

Dj gets it. :D

bassman
29-Jun-2010, 01:09 PM
:lol:

Good god man, the gozer thing was a joke. Just like House on Haunted Hill. :p

LouCipherr
30-Jun-2010, 02:58 PM
I know, I was just giving back what I was getting dude. :D All in good fun. I have my moments of stupidity, but that was in good fun. ;)

I still want my House on Haunted Hill on BR, dammit. :lol:

darth los
30-Jun-2010, 03:41 PM
House on Haunted Hill? Original or Remake?

I'd even watch 13 ghosts before that dude. :lol:

LouCipherr
30-Jun-2010, 04:34 PM
I'd even watch 13 ghosts before that dude. :lol:

Hey! Stop piling on, darth! :lol: :p :D

JDFP
30-Jun-2010, 04:39 PM
John Carpenter's "Christine". It's my second most favorite horror film of all time (after "Day") and I'd love to own it on Blu-Ray.

Cameron Crowe's Director's Cut of "Almost Famous". It's out on R2 but not R1; better believe I'll be buying it when it comes out.

A copy of the Extended "Dawn of the Dead" -- I'm not forking over $$$ for the "theatrical release" of it just to have to spend $$$ for the extended edition again later on down the road. Besides, watching the theatrical version seems like watching a cut version of it anymore.

j.p.

bassman
30-Jun-2010, 04:58 PM
A copy of the Extended "Dawn of the Dead" -- I'm not forking over $$$ for the "theatrical release" of it just to have to spend $$$ for the extended edition again later on down the road. Besides, watching the theatrical version seems like watching a cut version of it anymore.

Speaking of the alternate versions in the UE....has anybody noticed that the extended cut scenes are considerably worse than the scenes from the Theatrical Cut? Looks like they used the remastered theatrical cut and just threw in the extended scenes without any work done to them. Distracting.

I wonder if Anchor Bay will ever release the entire UE set on BR. Now that would be a first day perchase...

darth los
30-Jun-2010, 05:08 PM
I wonder if Anchor Bay will ever release the entire UE set on BR. Now that would be a first day perchase...

There's no boubt adout it. :D

But as for the theatrical release, it looks absolutely stunning. :thumbsup:

LouCipherr
30-Jun-2010, 05:09 PM
John Carpenter's "Christine". It's my second most favorite horror film of all time (after "Day") and I'd love to own it on Blu-Ray.

JP - how is the picture quality of Christine on BR? Is it a nice upgrade from the standard def DVD? I'd love to have a copy of it, but I'm extremely picky when it comes to upgrading my DVD's to BR. Unless the transfer/remastering is excellent I usually pass on 'em.

JDFP
30-Jun-2010, 05:29 PM
JP - how is the picture quality of Christine on BR? Is it a nice upgrade from the standard def DVD? I'd love to have a copy of it, but I'm extremely picky when it comes to upgrading my DVD's to BR. Unless the transfer/remastering is excellent I usually pass on 'em.

Hey Lou:

As far as I know "Christine" is, unfortunately, not yet on Blu-Ray. I was just making the comment that I'd LOVE to buy it on Blu-Ray when it is made available on it. The sooner the better.

I also own the Collector's Edition DVD of it and it upconverts very well on my player and the picture/sound quality is very good for upconverted DVD. I would just love to have the best appreciation for the picture quality/sound quality that no doubt would be afforded by the Blu-Ray version of it when/if it's made available.

If it is made available on Blu-Ray though and I then purchase it and check it out, I'll be happy to let you know how it checks out compared to the DVD version of it though. :)

j.p.

DjfunkmasterG
30-Jun-2010, 05:52 PM
There's no boubt adout it. :D

But as for the theatrical release, it looks absolutely stunning. :thumbsup:

a lot better than Day... thats for sure

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

Oh dear lord...

http://www.chrkcheung.com/images/misc/facepalm.gif

Dj gets it. :D

Of course I do because like you I am a Geoffrey Rush fan.

"Now tell me, whats become of my ship?"

JDFP
30-Jun-2010, 06:07 PM
a lot better than Day... thats for sure[COLOR="Silver"]

Is there a noticeable difference in the Blu-Ray of "Day" V. the 2-disc special edition from Anchor Bay released a few years back? I wouldn't mind having the Blu-Ray of "Day" but only if it's worth the extra $$$ v. the 2-disc special edition.

j.p.

DjfunkmasterG
30-Jun-2010, 06:12 PM
I feel the PQ for the DAY blu-ray is for shit. It is too soft. nowhere near as sharp as the DAWN Blu-Ray, but DAWN did get a better remastering job in 04 versus the DAY remaster in 03

darth los
30-Jun-2010, 06:31 PM
Maybe they leaned from their mistakes and refined the process when they released the dawn blu ray.

In either case, i thought my copy of day looked pretty good. I'll have to compare and contrast them.

Also them being in a dark cave vs. a brightly lit mall couldn't have helped matters any.

I've noticed with other HD films that are made in a dark setting, they tend to look grainy. Perhaps that's where the HD actually hurts the picture.

But your the film expert so I'll defer to your expertise on this one.

LouCipherr
30-Jun-2010, 07:18 PM
Hey Lou:

As far as I know "Christine" is, unfortunately, not yet on Blu-Ray. I was just making the comment that I'd LOVE to buy it on Blu-Ray when it is made available on it. The sooner the better.

Well slap me with a silly-stick - I completely lost track of the subject of this thread and thought you might've had it on BR already. d'oh! :o

I also own the Collector's Edition DVD of it and it upconverts very well on my player and the picture/sound quality is very good for upconverted DVD. I would just love to have the best appreciation for the picture quality/sound quality that no doubt would be afforded by the Blu-Ray version of it when/if it's made available.

Lets hope they don't use the DVD master and just slap it on BR. I know we're in a "transition" period here with DVD-to-BR, but I think BR might take off much quicker if these companies did restorations that really showed off the capabilities of BR. We'll see I guess.

Carry on, My bad. :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
30-Jun-2010, 07:30 PM
Most likely would do a new transfer because of the films age

LouCipherr
01-Jul-2010, 01:01 PM
Most likely would do a new transfer because of the films age

I would hope so. I just hope they take the time & care to do it properly and not a "rush job"

bassman
02-Jul-2010, 03:16 PM
Just got an email that the BTTF Blu Ray set is available for pre order from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Back-Future-Anniversary-Trilogy-Blu-ray/dp/B00198X0UO/ref=pe_20890_16188150_as_txt_5/).

55 bucks isn't too bad for all three films and features, I suppose. The question is will it drop once released or go up? I'm gonna hold out in hope of a better deal or a potential gold box treatment in the near future...

darth los
02-Jul-2010, 03:21 PM
Just got an email that the BTTF Blu Ray set is available for pre order from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Back-Future-Anniversary-Trilogy-Blu-ray/dp/B00198X0UO/ref=pe_20890_16188150_as_txt_5/).

55 bucks isn't too bad for all three films and features, I suppose. The question is will it drop once released or go up? I'm gonna hold out in hope of a better deal or a potential gold box treatment in the near future...

I don't know , this looks like a pretty sweet deal man.

The extras are through the roof.

Remember, the dawn UE set was 50 bucks when it first came out too and it didn't have anywhere near the extras this baby has.

bassman
02-Jul-2010, 03:36 PM
I don't know , this looks like a pretty sweet deal man.

The extras are through the roof.

Remember, the dawn UE set was 50 bucks when it first came out too and it didn't have anywhere near the extras this baby has.

Good point. But at the same time....my local best buy now has the UE for 15-20 bucks. I expect this set to go down to at least 30 at some point.

darth los
02-Jul-2010, 03:47 PM
Good point. But at the same time....my local best buy now has the UE for 15-20 bucks. I expect this set to go down to at least 30 at some point.

It sorta sounds like we're buying and selling stocks dude. :lol:

bassman
02-Jul-2010, 04:18 PM
It sorta sounds like we're buying and selling stocks dude. :lol:

:lol:

That's how you gotta play it when looking for BR deals, man. I'm a penny pincher....

DjfunkmasterG
02-Jul-2010, 04:19 PM
Best Buy always has grabber sales, and when they do i usually scoop up the stuff I would never pay over $40 for... such as True Blood, and BTTF. If I find it for $35.99 I will buy it, but anything over $40.00 I won't, even when I bought the HD DVD Matrix Ultimate Collection I waited for it to go to 50% off the $89.99 price, then I used the B1G1 Free option as well, so I ended up with two copies for $45.00 and sold the other on eBay and made my money back. :D

darth los
02-Jul-2010, 04:50 PM
Best Buy always has grabber sales, and when they do i usually scoop up the stuff I would never pay over $40 for... such as True Blood, and BTTF. If I find it for $35.99 I will buy it, but anything over $40.00 I won't, even when I bought the HD DVD Matrix Ultimate Collection I waited for it to go to 50% off the $89.99 price, then I used the B1G1 Free option as well, so I ended up with two copies for $45.00 and sold the other on eBay and made my money back. :D

Retail is for lazy suckers. They buy the first thing they see.

Example:

I know it's not a movie but at this very second gamestop is selling bioshock 2 for 39.99. Gamefly has it for 16 bucks. :rolleyes:

A little homework people !

DjfunkmasterG
02-Jul-2010, 05:09 PM
Retail is for lazy suckers. They buy the first thing they see.

Example:

I know it's not a movie but at this very second gamestop is selling bioshock 2 for 39.99. Gamefly has it for 16 bucks. :rolleyes:

A little homework people !

I actually read the weekly flyer, but for movies I go to Amazon, www.inetvideo.com, and a few other spots. Only when BB runs a sale do I ever go to BB for my movies.

darth los
02-Jul-2010, 05:24 PM
take the time & care to do it properly and not a "rush job"

That tends to happen when you're married for 15+ years. LMFAO ! :lol:

I couldn't resist dude.

LouCipherr
02-Jul-2010, 06:18 PM
That tends to happen when you're married for 15+ years. LMFAO ! :lol:

I couldn't resist dude.

ZING! Another +1 for darth! :lol:

bassman
02-Jul-2010, 06:37 PM
I've bought from Best Buy online and in store. They have good deals both ways. You've just got to be on the lookout for them. As I think Lou said, you just have to do your homework.

Found many 10 dollar BR's in store. I'm often surprised what I find marked down, actually....

bassman
07-Jul-2010, 09:40 PM
I thought some of you would like to know that The Evil Dead (http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=22972) is being released on BR next month.

I believe there may be a copy of the film on BR already, but this one seems to be the better purchase.

Mr.G
08-Jul-2010, 03:36 AM
The newest issue of Horror Hound (the magazine) had an article on great Horror movies not on DVD/Blu Ray. It's a quality read.

bassman
06-Aug-2010, 01:37 PM
DJ and Lou....thought you would like to see this (http://joblo.com/dvdclinic/index.php?id=6929).

http://joblo.com/dvdclinic/images/news/Tremors%20BD.png

darth los
06-Aug-2010, 01:45 PM
DJ and Lou....thought you would like to see this (http://joblo.com/dvdclinic/index.php?id=6929).

Wow dude, it's been so long since i've seen that i can't even remember but a couple of scenes.

CooperWasRight
06-Aug-2010, 01:58 PM
Most of Lynch's work.... Mulholland Drive coming for you lucky bastards across the pond
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Mulholland-Drive-Blu-ray/11187/
But no word on Blue Velvet and so on and so fourth.

The Exorcist(which is finally coming this october and is looking pretty sexy)
http://www.amazon.com/Exorcist-Extended-Directors-Original-Theatrical/dp/B001992NW4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1281103443&sr=8-1

Taxi Driver was supposed to come out a couple of years ago are on the top of my list.

bassman
06-Aug-2010, 02:17 PM
Wow dude, it's been so long since i've seen that i can't even remember but a couple of scenes.

Tune in to USA Network, Syfy, or Chiller on the weekends. They seem to show it every few hours. I like the flick and all, but they really wear it out...

darth los
06-Aug-2010, 03:12 PM
Tune in to USA Network, Syfy, or Chiller on the weekends. They seem to show it every few hours. I like the flick and all, but they really wear it out...

Absolutely love chiller so I shuould come across it eventually.

Thnx bro. :thumbsup:

LouCipherr
11-Aug-2010, 07:14 PM

AWESOME! Thanks for the heads-up. I can't believe I missed this when you first posted it. :o

Only one drawback - I already have it on HD-DVD. :( so unless the quality of the transfer is superior, I don't know if I'll buy this right away... at least not until my HD-DVD player dies and I rip through Dj's stock of hidden-away HD-DVD players.. :lol:

Y'know, this reminds me we still need to sit down and do our love-fest of Tremors... Time and scheduling just aren't on our side at the moment. :mad:

darth - you HAVE to remember this scene:

Earl: Stupid son-of-a-bitch, knocked itself cold!

Valentine: Cold, my ass, he's dead! We killed it. We killed it! Fuuuuuuuuck YOU!!

:lol: best scene in that movie, hands down. :D

darth los
12-Aug-2010, 05:02 PM
AWESOME! Thanks for the heads-up. I can't believe I missed this when you first posted it. :o

Only one drawback - I already have it on HD-DVD. :( so unless the quality of the transfer is superior, I don't know if I'll buy this right away... at least not until my HD-DVD player dies and I rip through Dj's stock of hidden-away HD-DVD players.. :lol:

Y'know, this reminds me we still need to sit down and do our love-fest of Tremors... Time and scheduling just aren't on our side at the moment. :mad:

darth - you HAVE to remember this scene:

Earl: Stupid son-of-a-bitch, knocked itself cold!

Valentine: Cold, my ass, he's dead! We killed it. We killed it! Fuuuuuuuuck YOU!!

:lol: best scene in that movie, hands down. :D

Will do. :lol:

I'm waiting for netflix to send it as we speak! :hyper:

bassman
12-Aug-2010, 11:27 PM
Absolutely love chiller so I shuould come across it eventually.

Tonight at 8. Told ya. :lol:

darth los
12-Aug-2010, 11:45 PM
Tonight at 8. Told ya. :lol:

HOly earthquakes BAssman! :stunned:

It's 15 minutes to. Thnx for the heads up.

bassman
14-Aug-2010, 08:26 PM
This weekend the Star Wars Celebration was held in Florida. George Lucas and other Lucas employees revealed that the series will be coming to blu ray in 2011 (http://www.joblo.com/star-wars-on-blu-ray-in-october-of-2011). No official date was given, but it's rumored around November. Which makes sense if you consider the holiday season.

As of now, there's no word on whether the two trilogies will be available individually, but it's looking more like you'll be forced to buy the entire "saga" in order to get the originals. Also no word on the pre-cgi original trilogy.

Mr.G
14-Aug-2010, 09:00 PM
As of now, there's no word on whether the two trilogies will be available individually, but it's looking more like you'll be forced to buy the entire "saga" in order to get the originals. Also no word on the pre-cgi original trilogy.

I'd be shocked if Lucus allowed the original unaltered. It would be a nice treat tho.

LouCipherr
17-Aug-2010, 03:42 PM
I'd be shocked if Lucus allowed the original unaltered. It would be a nice treat tho.

Unless it's unaltered, I won't buy the shit.

One thing that's pretty cool - if you scour the internet, you can find the Star Wars/Empire/Jedi "comparison" DVD's that you can download which show you the original film (being shown on the top of the screen) vs. the "fixed" versions Lucas did years later on the bottom of the screen. It's interesting to see exactly what changed both video and audio-wise.

When a scene comes up in the 'newer' version that wasn't in the original, the original screen will blank out and come back once it picks up where the new coencides w/the old. Pretty slick!

darth los
17-Aug-2010, 03:49 PM
Really now?

I gotta check that out.

I'm still waiting on my Pulp Fiction blu ray. :(

Now that my friends is a crime!

bassman
20-Aug-2010, 06:05 PM
I know there are some fans of anchorman around here, so I thought I would throw this (http://joblo.com/dvdclinic/index.php?id=7017) out there. New features. Surprising.

"Rich Mahogany Edition" Blu-ray Includes:

Theatrical and Unrated Version
Commentary with Adam McKay, Will Ferrell, Lou Rawls, Andy Richter, Kyle Gass, Paul Rudd, David Koechner and Christina Applegate
Deleted and extended scenes (new)
Bloopers
ESPN Sports Center Audition – Ron Burgundy
Wake Up Ron Burgundy
Feature Introduction by Will Ferrell and Aaron Zimmerman
Raw Footage "Good Takes" (new)
Music video: "Afternoon Delight"
"Afternoon Delight" recording session (new)
Public Service Announcements
Awards Speech
AMC Loews Happy Birthday (new)
Interviews:
Rebecca Romijn
Jim Caviezel
Burt Reynolds
Cinemax: The Making of Ron Burgundy
Reel Comedy: Anchorman
A Conversation with Ron Burgundy
Cast Auditions (new)
Table Read (new)
Rehearsals
Playback Video
Commercial Break
Trailers (in HD) (new)
"The Many Months of Burgundy" Journal
12 Trading Cards

bassman
24-Aug-2010, 02:25 PM
Another good-en I thought I would toss out here....

The Toy Story trilogy is being released in November. Thank God I decided to wait on 1 & 2's Blu Rays. It will retail around 100 bucks, but you can order it now at Amazon for 70.

It will include all three Toy Story films (natch!) on all three formats; Blu-ray, DVD and a Digital Copy.

It will be a 10-Disc set, which means bonus features should be extensive!

Suggested retail for the Toy Story Trilogy is around $100, but if you are willing to ante up now the pre-order will only cost you $69.99.

darth los
24-Aug-2010, 02:37 PM
Another good-en I thought I would toss out here....

The Toy Story trilogy is being released in November. Thank God I decided to wait on 1 & 2's Blu Rays. It will retail around 100 bucks, but you can order it now at Amazon for 70.

I don't own any of them so i looks like it's a good time to buy. The kids'll love it.

LouCipherr
25-Aug-2010, 01:05 PM
I still want my House on Haunted Hill (1999) in HD. Where the fuck is it? They put out the god-awful sequel on BR & HD-DVD, but not the original??

I'M STEPHEN GODDAMN PRICE and I want it now! :lol: :p

bassman
25-Aug-2010, 01:20 PM
They take their time when it comes to shit films, lou.:p

Cool As Ice has more of a chance to be on BR before THAT....

DjfunkmasterG
25-Aug-2010, 01:47 PM

Tremors HD DVD = 30gb disc with Dolby Digital Plus and I also Believe Dolby True HD for sound

Tremors Blu-Ray - 25gb, with DTS HD MA Audio which means picture was recompressed to make room for the lossless audio track... NO THANKS I will stick to my HD DVD that has better picture... Dolby True HD sounds just as good as any Lossless track.

Lets be honest here, unless you have a $10,000 sound system, Lossless audio isn't going to be the best thing since Frozen Pizza. AQ is not just the AMP and Speakers it is also the films sound engineer doing a proper mix. Since Tremors was recorded in Dolby Stereo back in 1989 when it was made, then released in 1990 into theaters... splitting a 2 track stereo source into 5-7 tracks is BULLSHIT!

A Movie like Tremors will never get a proper sound remix from the studio because it is not a super blockbuster. In order to do all of that it would require going all the way back to the source material and re-recording and mixing every sound used in the movie. I just don't see Universal dropping a $1,000,000 at a minimum to do all of that and we all know this, while a great B horror comedy, is just a 20 yr old catalog title. The fact they did a remaster of the picture was shocking, but the proper sound mix... never going to happen.

HD DVD it is... Much like The Thing... no reason to re-buy on Blu-Ray while I have working HD DVD players and a back-up stock that could last me 20 yrs if I continue to take great care of my AV equipment. :D

LouCipherr
25-Aug-2010, 01:59 PM
They take their time when it comes to shit films, lou.:p

Eat me :lol: it has Geoffrey Rush in it - any movie with that man in it, I'll watch simply for that fact. ...and if that were truly the case (taking time with shit films), then what is Land, Diary & Survival doing on BR already? :lol: :p

Dj - I have been echoing the same sentiment about this bullshit of "lossless audio" on these discs since their inception - what percentage of people actually have the equipment to take full advantage of this? Not enough to justify crushing the PQ w/compression just to fill the remaining space with lossless audio.

With Tremors (and even The Thing), I'll definitely keep my HD-DVD until the player doesn't work (and I buy all Dj's remainig players from him.. :lol:) or the disc gets screwed up - but it's nice to know it is indeed available on BR when the time comes, even if it's on the LESSER OF THE TWO FORMATS! :D

DjfunkmasterG
25-Aug-2010, 03:00 PM
Eat me :lol: it has Geoffrey Rush in it - any movie with that man in it, I'll watch simply for that fact. ...and if that were truly the case (taking time with shit films), then what is Land, Diary & Survival doing on BR already? :lol: :p

Dj - I have been echoing the same sentiment about this bullshit of "lossless audio" on these discs since their inception - what percentage of people actually have the equipment to take full advantage of this? Not enough to justify crushing the PQ w/compression just to fill the remaining space with lossless audio.

With Tremors (and even The Thing), I'll definitely keep my HD-DVD until the player doesn't work (and I buy all Dj's remainig players from him.. :lol:) or the disc gets screwed up - but it's nice to know it is indeed available on BR when the time comes, even if it's on the LESSER OF THE TWO FORMATS! :D

Go buy a back up copy of each movie tis only $1.00 :D

LouCipherr
25-Aug-2010, 03:02 PM
Go buy a back up copy of each movie tis only $1.00 :D

I don't need no stinkin' backups - I take care of my BR's and HD-DVD's, dammit. :lol:

My DVD's, on the other hand, get abused like children in Neverland Ranch..

Shit, did I say that out loud? :lol:

darth los
30-Aug-2010, 06:14 PM
Now if that isn't just a big slice of awesome...

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/707173/Apocalypse-Now-Coming-To-Blu-ray-in-October.html

bassman
30-Aug-2010, 06:17 PM
Looks like I'll be getting that one for the Hearts of Darkness documentary. It's funny that they left that out of the "Complete Dossier" edition released a few years ago....

darth los
30-Aug-2010, 06:28 PM
Looks like I'll be getting that one for the Hearts of Darkness documentary. It's funny that they left that out of the "Complete Dossier" edition released a few years ago....

Well how else were they going to get us to buy the exct same cut "for a few dollars more"...

Now that's a film that needs a blu ray if it doesn't already have one.

Clint and Lee van Cleef (that man is legendary by the way. Have you seen his filmography!?!).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Van_Cleef#Filmography

Noice. :thumbsup:

bassman
30-Aug-2010, 06:31 PM
The Man With No Name trilogy was released a few months back. Sadly, the reviews say they missed the mark with the restoration, so I held off for a better edition.

LouCipherr
30-Aug-2010, 07:07 PM
The Man With No Name trilogy was released a few months back. Sadly, the reviews say they missed the mark with the restoration, so I held off for a better edition.

I'm in the same boat - when I heard how they fucked up the remastering for BR, I said "no thanks... next!"

Kinda sad to see, 'cause if there's any movies I'd like to see get the "Wizard of Oz" type of restoration done, it would be the Man w/No Name trilogy.

C'mon you lazy movie execs, get your shit together and do a proper restoration of these flicks! :mad:

bassman
07-Sep-2010, 01:10 PM
Here's (http://www.joblo.com/dvdclinic/index.php?id=7131) another set of classics that I've been waiting for. Shitty box art, but at least there are new features. Love this series...

http://www.joblo.com/dvdclinic/images/news/lethal-weapon-blu-ray-boxset.jpg

GIXZ7VbKhZ8?fs=1&hl=en_US

acealive1
07-Sep-2010, 08:33 PM
gonna say it like this, if night of the creeps can be on dvd for a year now,everyone else has no excuse.

bassman
07-Sep-2010, 08:34 PM
gonna say it like this, if night of the creeps can be on dvd for a year now,everyone else has no excuse.

Unless of course you're George Lucas and you just want to enjoy watching the fans squirm.:p

Night of the Creeps was also released on BR, btw.

acealive1
08-Sep-2010, 01:46 AM
Unless of course you're George Lucas and you just want to enjoy watching the fans squirm.:p

Night of the Creeps was also released on BR, btw.

oops, thats what i meant. sorry LOL. blu ray

darth los
09-Sep-2010, 04:33 PM
Here's (http://www.joblo.com/dvdclinic/index.php?id=7131) another set of classics that I've been waiting for. Shitty box art, but at least there are new features. Love this series...

http://www.joblo.com/dvdclinic/images/news/lethal-weapon-blu-ray-boxset.jpg

GIXZ7VbKhZ8?fs=1&hl=en_US

Imo, the first two are classic.

The rest seem like they're trying to recreate the same formula but fail on almost every level.

Not memorable films at all.

bassman
09-Sep-2010, 04:35 PM
The first is definitely the brightest star of the group, but I enjoy every one of them. I also thought 4 was a great ending to the series, where as I think most people hated it.

2 might actually be my least favorite. It seemed to be a rehash of the whole Riggs wife storyline. "Lets give him another love interest and kill her off at the end so he can be crazy again!" Pah-lease. Still enjoyable, though.

darth los
09-Sep-2010, 05:02 PM
If you think about it, most don't like the way any series ends.

The seinfeld finale and the sopranos ending immediately spring to mind.

In film, TLOTR, matrix, Alien and Terminator series routinely come up.

Me thinks that at a certain point the formula becomes stale and they just want one more big payout so they ut come up with something the studio will fund.

Attribute it to what you will, But there is almost always a huge gap in quality between the 1st and 3rd or 4t film in a series.

bassman
09-Sep-2010, 06:33 PM
Attribute it to what you will, But there is almost always a huge gap in quality between the 1st and 3rd or 4t film in a series.

Romero would be the exception, imo. His only got better. Night-Day, I mean.

darth los
09-Sep-2010, 07:55 PM
Romero would be the exception, imo. His only got better. Night-Day, I mean.

There's always an exception to the rule but Gar seems determined to reverse that for some reason.

bassman
13-Sep-2010, 04:16 PM
I don't own any of them so i looks like it's a good time to buy. The kids'll love it.

(Newman voice)"You gotta friend in me... (http://www.joblo.com/dvdclinic/index.php?id=7041)"

http://www.joblo.com/dvdclinic/images/news/Toy%20Box.png

-It will include all three Toy Story films (natch!) on all three formats; Blu-ray, DVD and a Digital Copy.
-Each format is on a separate disc, so 3 discs per film with what appears to be a single disc dedicated to special features. I think it would also be safe to assume that the discs that have the actual movies on them also have some extras.
-Suggested retail for the Toy Story Trilogy is $100, but if you are willing to ante up now the pre-order will only cost you $65.99.

That's a poichase from me...

darth los
13-Sep-2010, 05:27 PM
(Newman voice)"You gotta friend in me... (http://www.joblo.com/dvdclinic/index.php?id=7041)"

http://www.joblo.com/dvdclinic/images/news/Toy%20Box.png

That's a poichase from me...

Now there's an offer i can't refuse...

bassman
30-Nov-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm in the same boat - when I heard how they fucked up the remastering for BR, I said "no thanks... next!"

Kinda sad to see, 'cause if there's any movies I'd like to see get the "Wizard of Oz" type of restoration done, it would be the Man w/No Name trilogy.

C'mon you lazy movie execs, get your shit together and do a proper restoration of these flicks! :mad:

Just thought I would give you a heads up that The No Name Trilogy is on sale at Amazon for 25 bucks. Even with less than perfect restoration, thats a sweet deal. And most of the reviews are saying the picture is actually really good.

I don't think i'll be able to pass up on this one. Could be a long while before we see a better release.

MinionZombie
01-Dec-2010, 10:13 AM
Speaking of BRs missing in action - I was looking to see if there was a BR for Blue Velvet - but nope - not yet at least.

bassman
01-Dec-2010, 01:15 PM
I think Blue Velvet is owned by MGM? If so, you may be waiting a long time considering their current financial troubles...

LouCipherr
01-Dec-2010, 04:50 PM
I still want to know where my goddamn House on Haunted Hill BR is.... (don't even say it, bassman... I know what you're thinking! :p :lol:)

Oh, and a PROPER version of Last Action Hero. Every time they release that damn movie something is screwed up. Improper aspect ratio, shitty tansfer... :mad:

bassman
01-Dec-2010, 04:53 PM
What? I was going to say that Famke Jensen is hot. :sneaky:

MinionZombie
01-Dec-2010, 04:54 PM
Bassman - aye, true enough come to think of it. At least the new James Bond is going ahead though apparently.

Lou - *high five* for LAH, I dig that flick, I don't understand why it gets so much flack, but having never bothered to get it on disc I've not experienced the disrespect it has had on home release, but I had heard about shitty treatments for it. How daft, eh?

LouCipherr
01-Dec-2010, 05:00 PM
What? I was going to say that Famke Jensen is hot. :sneaky:

Nice try, no cigar.. :lol: :D

Lou - *high five* for LAH, I dig that flick, I don't understand why it gets so much flack, but having never bothered to get it on disc I've not experienced the disrespect it has had on home release, but I had heard about shitty treatments for it. How daft, eh?

I've been waiting for a proper release for at least a decade... pisses me off they just can't get it right ONCE. :mad:

bassman
01-Dec-2010, 05:02 PM
It's funny, but I barely remember anything about LAH other than the Pan and Scan on the VHS made me want to shoot myself. It was HORRIBLE.

Honestly....I remember that over most of the plot points in the film. That's how bad it was....

MinionZombie
01-Dec-2010, 05:26 PM
Famke Jansen is hot. :cool::thumbsup:

Pan & Scan eh? Yeah, it's hideous ... worst I've seen is Short Circuit (a 2.35:1 movie), and good lord, it was like a crack whore chimp on speed was sliding it left and right while trying to impersonate a kid with ultra-ADD ... truly horrendous, almost dizzying in fact.

Legion2213
01-Dec-2010, 05:40 PM
Pan and Scan is an affront to common decency and the human spirit...

LouCipherr
01-Dec-2010, 06:50 PM
Famke Jansen is hot. :cool::thumbsup:

Pan & Scan eh? Yeah, it's hideous ... worst I've seen is Short Circuit (a 2.35:1 movie), and good lord, it was like a crack whore chimp on speed was sliding it left and right while trying to impersonate a kid with ultra-ADD ... truly horrendous, almost dizzying in fact.

That's what it felt like to watch LAH when they put it in 4:3 pan & scan - I mean, if there was ever a movie intentionally shot for a WIDE-assed aspect ratio, it was LAH - and the panning/scanning almost made me sea-sick is was so horrible. Not to mention it was so distracting it takes away from the entire viewing experience.

FUCK YOU COLUMBIA PICTURES! Do it right, or suffer the wrath of... well.. nobody, but I'll still be pissed off about it! :lol:

bassman
27-Jun-2011, 08:38 PM
Another to mark off the list:

http://www.joblo.com/images_arrownews/jurassic-park-blu.jpg

ALL-NEW BONUS FEATURES ON BLU-RAY:
“Return to Jurassic Park” – this six-part documentary features all-new interviews with the many of the cast members from all three films, the filmmakers and Steven Spielberg.
Dawn of a New Era
Making Pre-history
The Next Step in Evolution
Finding The Lost World
Something Survived
The Third Adventure

The new special features make up for having to purchase the two sequels. They weren't awful, but i'm not too interested in the sequels so much. I'm more excited for this than the Star Wars set.

And looking back at IGN's list now.....most of those listed have already had a blu ray release or have one on the way. Still waiting for the Indy trilogy...