PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Blu-Rays....

LouCipherr
18-Mar-2010, 12:50 PM
So what are those of you with Blu-Ray players doing as far as purchasing movies? Are you replacing your whole collection in Blu? Only purchasing things you don't already have in HD?

Personally, since I already have a HD-DVD player with quite a few movies, I've applied this strategy to my Blu-Ray flicks:

1) If I already have it in HD-DVD, I'm not getting it in Blu until my HD-DVD player dies or the disc becomes no longer playable. I've actually found a few HD-DVDs that look better than their Blu-Ray counterparts (Hot Fuzz in particular).

2) The movies I'm buying in Blu format are those which have had excellent transfers done - video and audio-wise. Give me a picture with that 3D "pop" and DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD, or I'm going home. :lol: There's nothing worse than getting a Blu-Ray disc to find out they used a crappy master. :mad:

So what's your Blu-Ray buying strategy? Everything, or only select flicks?

Legion2213
18-Mar-2010, 01:10 PM
Sort of a three pronged attack/strategy...

1: Any new releases are now purchased in BD

2: Certain "priority/favorite" DVD titles replaced with BD's (eg, all my GAR flicks ect)

3: Eventual replacement of whole DVD collection with BD's if possible (a lot of my old series and comedy series will never be out on BD)

DjfunkmasterG
18-Mar-2010, 01:32 PM
My strategy is if it is a movie I like and re-watch frequently I will purchase the Blu-Ray or HD DVD. If not the DVD is suffice.

Almost all of the GAR flicks, except night 68 and night 90 I have on Blu-Ray, recently adding The Crazies to the list.

Event films such as ID4, 2012, etc will always be a part of my Blu-Ray collection.

When I was heavily into HD DVD I was selling off the DVD counter parts as I replced them with HD versions.

Now if something I have on DVD isn't worth the Blu-Ray price of $30, but later comes down to $8-$10 I will snatch it up and throw the DVD into the sell it off pile.

Herein lies some issues though, the Ultimate DAWN of the DEAD boxset was never released that way in Blu-Ray so I opted to keep my 3 copies (1 opened, 2 sealed) Same goes for the dual disc Divimax Day of the Dead, but again I own these movies on Blu-Ray too.

The Only GAR film I don't own on Blu-Ray is Land of the Dead, I have it on HD DVD and I think the HD DVD version is better, same goes for the DAWN remake.

I will not replace any of the HD DVD titles unless the discs die. If a player dies I will just crack open another player, which i did recently when my oldest unit took a dump last month. Otherwise if the movie is worth owning in Blu I will scoop it up, but I am not rushing out for New Releases like I used too. I can wait to scoop it up when the price drops or head over to inetvideo.com and scoop it up as a NR at a discount. I even hit up eBay quite a bit for titles on the cheap.

Survival on Blu was the last disc I bought as a NR and will most likely no tbuy anything else as a NR until the price drops to a more affordable $10-$15, inclduing Last Action Hero.

My Blu buying decision also comes down to what special features are on the disc.... in some cases, sometimes I buy for completist reasons, and don't care about special features, this would be the case for Survival. However, features and reviews of PQ and AQ are a large factor in how I buy Blu-Rays and HD DVD

JDFP
18-Mar-2010, 02:39 PM
Anything I buy from this point forward will be be Blu-Ray, if it's released on DVD only then it means that the studio doesn't want me to buy it. With the new technology and the money I've put into my player and my 50" Samsung HDTV, there's no point for me to settle for "standard definition" technology for anything from this point forward. There's very few DVD's I own that I'd ever consider upgrading to Blu-Ray though, the picture quality may be better but I don't see the point in spending money for the same thing twice unless, again, it's a film I consider to be a five-star film.

With that said, I very rarely buy anything anymore. I go through about 10 movies a week that I rent (I'm on the 7-at-a-time plan with Netflix) and 95% of the time I'm only going to watch a movie once (or maybe rent it again a few years down the road to re-watch). Unless I consider a movie to be a five-star film, I don't see the point of buying it, and spending $15 - $30, just to watch it once and set it on a shelf for a number of years before possibly watching it again (or pulling a: "Oh yeah, I didn't know I had that.").

I've had my Blu-Ray player since the end of December now (thank you work for the Christmas bonus) and I currently have two Blu-Ray's that I've purchased: "Donnie Darko: The Director's Cut" and "Sons of Anarchy: Season 1". I plan on buying "Sons of Anarchy: Season 2" when it comes out on Blu-Ray as well (when it's discounted down for a reasonable price of $30 or less) and there are a few other blu-ray's I'd love to buy as well once the price becomes reasonable (I'm not spending more than $15 for a single flick as I think that's just excessive). As far as a current wish list, I'd love to buy Frank Darabont's "The Mist", Kevin Costner's "The Postman", and Cameron Crowe's Director's Cut of "Almost Famous". I'm also looking forward to eventually upgrading the original Romero trilogy (when they finally release the Extended Edition of "Dawn" that is, I'm not shelling out money for just the theatrical version only). After I can find a copy for $15 or less of these items, I'll probably buy them.

I love movies, I would say I watch flicks on an almost daily basis (I probably go through 50 movies a month) but I just don't see the point in purchasing something if it's not regularly used (say something I'm going to pull out and watch 5 plus times a year).

j.p.

Danny
18-Mar-2010, 03:27 PM
totally depends, if its a tv show, always a dvd box set, season 3 of lost on dvd? £10, on blu ray? £60 no choice there, i dont care about hd tv, when its 1000's of minutes of entertainment im happy with standard at such a great price.
When its a foreign film, or art house type deal i'll get the dvd, because its either on dvd exclusively- or because its in the world cinema section its price can be triple on dvd, let alone blu-ray.

the last flick i got was rambo, which ive still yet to watch. mostly because i dont give that much of a shit about HD movie formats, im a ps3 owner so i just happen to have a blu-ray player, and when im in blockbuster and see something like juno for £2.99 hell yes im getting it on blu-ray.

I guess i just go for the cheapest deal, my mates always say "no surprise your greatgrandparents on your grandads side of your moms family are jewish, ya' usk em down?" and lets face it, it could be true:lol:
But basically i just dont get too many since i dont think blu-ray is gonna last half as long as dvd compared to digital formats.

bassman
18-Mar-2010, 03:51 PM
I guess i just go for the cheapest deal...

That's my line of thinking on the subject. Nine times out of ten BR's are cheaper than DVD's these days, but if it's not a film I absolutely adore and the DVD is cheaper - I can take the DVD. It upscales it anyway, so it still looks great.

As for my pre-existing dvd collection....I've repurchased my top 10-20 absolutely favorite films on BR but the rest of the dvds, as i said, look just fine through the BR player.

I enjoy BR on my favorite flicks and new releases, but i'm not one of those hounds that will go out and re-stock his entire DVD collection. That would take a fortune...

darth los
18-Mar-2010, 04:34 PM
That's my line of thinking on the subject. Nine times out of ten BR's are cheaper than DVD's these days, but if it's not a film I absolutely adore and the DVD is cheaper - I can take the DVD. It upscales it anyway, so it still looks great.

As for my pre-existing dvd collection....I've repurchased my top 10-20 absolutely favorite films on BR but the rest of the dvds, as i said, look just fine through the BR player.

I enjoy BR on my favorite flicks and new releases, but i'm not one of those hounds that will go out and re-stock his entire DVD collection. That would take a fortune...

You can normally ge blu rays on the cheap when the week they are first released. Try best buy.

As for the o.p. If i already have a movie in dvd format i won't repurchase it.
Now, if they are on sale like day and dawn were a few weeks back for 12 buck a pop, i jump on it. again at best buy.

:cool:

bassman
18-Mar-2010, 04:36 PM
You can normally ge blu rays on the cheap when the week they are first released. Try best buy.

:rockbrow:

I think I may have stumbled over what I meant. I agree with you. In my first paragraph I said that BRs are generally cheaper than DVDs these days...

darth los
18-Mar-2010, 04:51 PM
:rockbrow:

I think I may have stumbled over what I meant. I agree with you. In my first paragraph I said that BRs are generally cheaper than DVDs these days...

Yes you did. ;)

I was just saying WHEN you could get them on the cheap.

Although, they may be cheaper at first, after a movie is out for a few weeks the pricetag goes up to 25-30 bucks. So it's prudent to jump on it when you see the low pricetag.

:cool: