PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft prepping Xbox 360 Slim?

darth los
18-Mar-2010, 07:29 PM
I agree that they do need a console shake up for the reasons enumerated in the article.

Their live service is dynamic and their titles are top notch but i agree they need something to make the popular perception about their console that it's reliable.

It lauched 4 years ago and we're still talking about the RROD like it's an epidemic. Even though improvements have been made in order to adress the consoles various issues if it still looks like a launch model that had all those problems people are going to think not much has changed. And it's all about perception.

The fact that they nickle and dime us to death must be adressed at some point. But that's for another thread.

Thoughts?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6253740.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;1

:cool:

LouCipherr
18-Mar-2010, 08:05 PM
Has Micro$oft even identified the real problem with the RROD? If so, I'm wondering why it hasn't been corrected in the full-size console.

That being said, if they haven't addressed the RROD problem (ie: FIXING IT!) then the idea of a slim 360 makes absolutely zero sense and it isn't going to do well.

Put it this way - I've sent back three 360's for the RROD... if they think I'd EVER lay my money down for a slim, they had better prove this won't be an issue. I don't, however, think they can do that at this point.

Back to what you said though, DL, I think that a shake-up is indeed needed for the 360 to give it a push, but, as stated above, it better be bullet proof or the first time someone says "got a RROD on my slim" it's game over for M$ and the 360 slim sales.

darth los
18-Mar-2010, 08:44 PM
Has Micro$oft even identified the real problem with the RROD? If so, I'm wondering why it hasn't been corrected in the full-size console.

That being said, if they haven't addressed the RROD problem (ie: FIXING IT!) then the idea of a slim 360 makes absolutely zero sense and it isn't going to do well.

Put it this way - I've sent back three 360's for the RROD... if they think I'd EVER lay my money down for a slim, they had better prove this won't be an issue. I don't, however, think they can do that at this point.

Back to what you said though, DL, I think that a shake-up is indeed needed for the 360 to give it a push, but, as stated above, it better be bullet proof or the first time someone says "got a RROD on my slim" it's game over for M$ and the 360 slim sales.

I don't think they have identified it specifically but the prevailing wisdom is that it was just rushed to market too early in order to get a leg up on their competitiors. Considering how it worked out for them this gen it seems like sound strategy in hindsight. Although, i do have to say that they handles the RROD thing as well as i have ever seen a corporation handle a defect problem.

Look at toyota, do you see them offering to fix things at no cost to the consumer?

Hell to the no !!

Corporations just don't do that. So + 1 for MS. However, all that built up good will goes to waste, imo, when they actually act like a corp, ie: when they charged for l4d 2content while steam gives it away.

To your last comment. I agree. It's competitors are coming out with slim consoles, and free live service, etc. If they want to hold on to their current spot which i believe is number 2 at the moment, they had beter come up with some bells and whistles to sell the "casual sheep" market that these two are looking to feast on.

Now with that said, i hope the direction this is going in is not the nintendo angle where they just all but neglect the "harcore gamer" in an effort to make the most money possible. Because if that's the case they're going to lose alot of us.

fulci fan
18-Mar-2010, 11:50 PM
I had to send one back and when I got my new one, I put it on a cookie rack, put a intercooler fan on the back, and have an oscillating fan on it. It sucks that you have to baby a "top of the line" console just so it won't break. At least the games are good.

This "new look" idea reminds me of the genesis add-on stuff. Never made it better...

mista_mo
18-Mar-2010, 11:57 PM
I've had mine for 2 years and have had no issues with it at all.

Danny
19-Mar-2010, 12:47 AM

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/1268910707978s.jpg

C5NOTLD
19-Mar-2010, 01:37 AM

I've had mine since the original release and no problems. :D
(Probably just doomed myself with that statement and it will probably crash by this weekend). :lol:

MinionZombie
19-Mar-2010, 10:36 AM
If the 360 Slim is:

1) Built like a brick shit house
2) Cheap as chips

Then that'll be a good thing.

My 360 is now on its way back to me having been at the repair centre this week - it broke, for the first time, 9 months after I got it. After that I then bought a clip-on desk fan which blows air onto the warm side of the console ... 2 years and 1 month later (i.e. last week) it broke again.

Methinks the fan gave me another 16 months of use ... but as has been said - I shouldn't have to have a desk fan blowing on it to get a bit more life out of it before it breaks again - it's simply not cricket.

So I refer to points 1 and 2 above ... I'm especially thinking of those as my extended warranty runs out in May, and if it ever broke again, I'd just want to replace the damn thing with a slim model.

A 360 slim, that's hard as nails, can take existing memory cards, and is £99 would be ideal really for such a situation, as apparently repair costs are between £60 and £80 a pop ... might as well get a new one all together and get a year's warranty on top, you know?

Circling back though, hopefully my 360 is fixed and I can at least get another 2 years out of it ... shocking that we say such things about modern technology isn't it?

MikePizzoff
19-Mar-2010, 11:32 AM
Those of you that have never had your XBOX 360 break on you: lucky bastards. :mad: I'm on my FOURTH 360 right now. I've got a friend who's on his SIXTH! If there weren't so many damn great titles and an amazing online service, I would have switched to PS3 a long time ago.

My theory on what causes the RROD: simple overheating; the mobo gets too hot and heats up the solder, which causes things (chips, wires?) to separate from the mobo.

Mr.G
19-Mar-2010, 12:55 PM
I'm on my FOURTH 360 right now. I've got a friend who's on his SIXTH!

Not to be a prick but I don't understand this type of loyalty. Would you take your car into a shop 4 or 6 times to get the same item serviced over and over?

I have a 360 and have not had problems (crosses fingers) but I'd never tolerate something being that undependable.

fartpants
19-Mar-2010, 01:39 PM
but wat happens when u have 30-40 x-box games at home, its a case of getting a new x-box or losing them as well

Danny
19-Mar-2010, 01:47 PM
but wat happens when u have 30-40 x-box games at home, its a case of getting a new x-box or losing them as well

wait, what?

MikePizzoff
19-Mar-2010, 03:17 PM
Not to be a prick but I don't understand this type of loyalty. Would you take your car into a shop 4 or 6 times to get the same item serviced over and over?

I have a 360 and have not had problems (crosses fingers) but I'd never tolerate something being that undependable.

Well the thing is, when warranties are covering replacements/repairs, I'm not getting too upset over it. I, thankfully, haven't shelled out the cash for four 360's.

Exactly. I think even if I had to purchase a whole new 360, I'd go ahead and do it just because of the games I own.

wait, what?

He means would you rather spend the money and buy yourself a new XBOX or get rid of all the games you put time/effort/money into?

Danny
19-Mar-2010, 03:24 PM
but the rumours kicking around are for a slim xbox 360, like the slimline ps2, not a new xbox, unless it switched to blu-ray why would it stop playing xbox games?

MikePizzoff
19-Mar-2010, 03:54 PM
but the rumours kicking around are for a slim xbox 360, like the slimline ps2, not a new xbox, unless it switched to blu-ray why would it stop playing xbox games?

Haha, I think he was responding to Mr G's question of why people keep buying new 360's after theirs break. Big misunderstanding going on, here!

darth los
19-Mar-2010, 03:56 PM

I wouldn't either. I have never had a RROD problem but it seems to me that people who never had a problem never do and the people who have had it, it happens to them multiple times. (for the most part).

I can't prove it but that suggests that the recurring problem might have something to do with the way the console is treated by the respective owner.

Danny
19-Mar-2010, 03:58 PM

because none pc gamers have no where else to get there online gaming fix.

the ps3 doesnt come with a headset and there aint that many big online games as opposed to all the 360s exclusives.

-and the wii is a joke online.

They need there fix and unfortunately this unreliable brick is there only gateway to it.

darth los
19-Mar-2010, 04:26 PM
Ms has always been the leaders when it comes to online gaming.

As you said, nintendo is a joke in that dept.

Just compare the original x box service with games like halo2 and the orange box and compare that to the RE outbreaks.

Nuff said.

LouCipherr
19-Mar-2010, 05:41 PM
I can't prove it but that suggests that the recurring problem might have something to do with the way the console is treated by the respective owner.

Not to be disagreeable, but I don't buy that one bit. Our 360 gets no more game play than any other gaming system in the house, and the 360 is the only one that has crapped out on us three different times. The stupid 360 is even in a place where it gets adequate, cool airflow with no obstructions. I've seen PS3 owners put 10 times the amount of abuse on their console than we do on the 360, yet their systems never break.

I think it's a bit deeper of an issue than customer abuse. ;)

It's a puzzling problem, that's for sure. To be honest, even when we did get the RROD, the console never felt that hot. My computer puts out 10x more heat than the 360, and it never fails. I just don't get it.

darth los
19-Mar-2010, 06:18 PM
Not to be disagreeable, but I don't buy that one bit. Our 360 gets no more game play than any other gaming system in the house, and the 360 is the only one that has crapped out on us three different times. The stupid 360 is even in a place where it gets adequate, cool airflow with no obstructions. I've seen PS3 owners put 10 times the amount of abuse on their console than we do on the 360, yet their systems never break.

I think it's a bit deeper of an issue than customer abuse. ;)

It's a puzzling problem, that's for sure. To be honest, even when we did get the RROD, the console never felt that hot. My computer puts out 10x more heat than the 360, and it never fails. I just don't get it.

You aren't being disagreeable just disagreeing. ;)

And that's fine. People are allowed to have different perspectives.

Good points.

Danny
19-Mar-2010, 06:47 PM
i'm pretty dern sure that it was revealed that the problem was related to overheating or electrical surge. Either way could cause one of the finer soldered connections to heat up and break and given the sheer amount of these tiny connections inside the hardware it was too complicated to find the problem, since when they did, it would just reoccur at another joint. just a simple fault of the cheaply made, mass produced hardware.

and whilst the online sucks i never know of anyone having there ps3 yellow light on them.

MinionZombie
19-Mar-2010, 07:21 PM
I'm always very careful with my stuff, such as technology (computers, cameras, televisions etc), and I'm careful with my 360 - hell, I run a desk fan on the warm side to keep the temperature down. But even then, it wouldn't get any hotter than say 30c - and that should be well within normal operating temperature range.

As you say, PCs get a lot hotter than a 360 and keep going.

My 360 has broken twice now, never had a RROD, both times it was loss of Audio & Video signals (and this time when I sent it back I mentioned that the disc tray has been jamming for months, and that it doesn't seem to stream data as well as it used to - e.g. the "clear cache" trick for GTA IV no longer makes a jot of difference).

Anyway, it's on its way back to me, should be here Monday apparently - hopefully it's fixed. *fingers crossed*

Tricky
19-Mar-2010, 07:42 PM
Hmm I think its time for the next generation, never mind flogging old consoles at still high prices! that goes for all the companies!

Danny
19-Mar-2010, 07:49 PM
Hmm I think its time for the next generation, never mind flogging old consoles at still high prices! that goes for all the companies!

thing that bugs me is that i had to buy a wireless adapter, a charger for each of my controllers and if i had the money back when i wouldve bought a hd dvd drive add on and a hd upgrade from 20gig to 120gig which totals to MORE than my ps3 cost with all of that IN the machine.
Now i love the 360, its my online console of choice, but thats fucked up.

MikePizzoff
19-Mar-2010, 08:10 PM
Hmm I think its time for the next generation

There'd be no point for a next generation right now. In fact, the companies would lose money because not many people would buy next-gen consoles, due to the fact that developers aren't even at the point of pushing the limits of what our current-gen consoles can do.

krakenslayer
19-Mar-2010, 08:25 PM
My little brother's had his Xbox360 for going on two years now and it's not failed a single time, despite the fact that he treats it like shit; piling junk on top of it, bashing it around and even blocking the airflow to the vents. Yet I know people who treat their consoles better than their mothers and still got RRODs. It's weird how random and selective the errors are with the 360.

MinionZombie
19-Mar-2010, 08:40 PM
Kraken - damn, that is random. :eek:

Tricky - the next generation is a ways off for sure. I'd say 2012 they'll start seriously talking about it, and I think one major reason is that the PS3 took so long to get off its arse and position itself properly within the market. Although I'm still not down with the "do everything" ambition of the PS3 - a console should be for games, dagnammit, a PC does the other stuff, and a DVD player is for movies! :eek:

Anyway, it's amazing how each new year's worth of games improves upon the graphics systems - it's like "how is there still enough power in that Xbox360 o'mine to render these?" - especially when on PCs you're always farting around with settings on this, that and the other (and I still sometimes play PC games, and used to be a full-on PC gamer, fyi).

So yeah, the next generation is a ways off for sure, we've only had one GTA (plus two DLCs for it) on this generation so far after all. :p

AcesandEights
19-Mar-2010, 09:00 PM
I just hope the slimline version has a whisper mode.

Rancid Carcass
19-Mar-2010, 10:16 PM
i never know of anyone having there ps3 yellow light on them.

Well lets be honest, would you admit to having a 'Yellow Light Of Death'? Sounds completely lame - At least the RROD sounds like the 360 has had a proper kick-ass malfunction... :lol:

Danny
19-Mar-2010, 10:41 PM
Well lets be honest, would you admit to having a 'Yellow Light Of Death'? Sounds completely lame - At least the RROD sounds like the 360 has had a proper kick-ass malfunction... :lol:

lets be honest, if a 300 quid piece of machinery fucks you over the colour and its degree of manliness isnt the first thing on your mind.

krakenslayer
19-Mar-2010, 11:10 PM

I dunno, the Red Ring of Death sounds like something that would happen to you in Michael Barrymore's swimming pool. :D

darth los
19-Mar-2010, 11:35 PM
I dunno, the Red Ring of Death sounds like something that would happen to you in Michael Barrymore's swimming pool. :D

Or... after a night out at a mexican resturaunt. :D

Danny
19-Mar-2010, 11:40 PM
i dunno, the red ring of death sounds like something that would happen to you in michael barrymore's swimming pool. :d

hey-ooooooo!