PDA

View Full Version : Mystery solved? What Stephen really typed.

chuckroast
27-Mar-2010, 06:34 PM
So I was looking through some old posts and see that there still seems to be a lot of confusion about what Stephen types on the typewriter. So I took some time to screen capture and enhance it to solve this mystery once and for all. (I hope)
It's a combination of capital and lowercase

He types " now Is YOUR TIME "

Here is the enhanced photo below.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2rh3g5s.png

krakenslayer
27-Mar-2010, 07:04 PM
Could be. Did you get this from the DVD or the Blu-Ray? If it's from the DVD perhaps the Blu-Ray has it clearer and we can tell for sure, or if someone has access to a film print of the movie (were resolution is limited only by the size of the film grain) all you need is a magnifying glass...

MinionZombie
27-Mar-2010, 07:11 PM
I've always wondered what he typed ... chuck's got the best idea for it yet I think, but I'm not sure whether I'm seeing those words because I can, or because they've been suggested to me just now.

Blu-Ray screen capture from someone of this moment, please, for clarification.

axlish
27-Mar-2010, 07:56 PM
We've already discussed this. He types NOW IS THE TIME, which we debated and decided that he was beginning the sentence NOW IS THE TIME FOR ALL GOOD MEN TO COME TO THE AID OF THEIR COUNTRY, a practice sentence in typing class. I think the fact that he stopped at NOW IS THE TIME gives meaning to his state of mind, which I believe is suicidal at this point. Others disagreed.

sandrock74
28-Mar-2010, 05:17 AM
What is this? Stephen who? Flyboy? I don't recall him typing anything.

bassman
28-Mar-2010, 07:09 PM
What is this? Stephen who? Flyboy? I don't recall him typing anything.

It's from the extended/Cannes cut. Which I believe is not available on BR, btw.

Trin
28-Mar-2010, 08:18 PM
I'd sure like to see that scene. At what point in the movie does it occur?

From the positioning of the words on the page I'd have to disagree with "NOW IS THE TIME" being the start of a longer sentence. It is well centered. It almost appears to be a book title. Maybe he was starting a manuscript?

That does appear to be what is written though.

Legion2213
28-Mar-2010, 10:49 PM
I'd sure like to see that scene. At what point in the movie does it occur?

Sometime around 103 minutes and 30 seconds...and it definitely looks like "Now is the Time" to me.

krakenslayer
28-Mar-2010, 11:36 PM
It probably reads "Dawn of the Dead", signifying that everything occurring from that point onward is part of the story on the typewriter and a figment of Flyboy's literary imagination. In reality, they probably lived happily ever after. ;)

AcesandEights
29-Mar-2010, 01:58 AM
It looks like it says:

Now it's YOUR penis!

Intriguing...

mista_mo
29-Mar-2010, 02:05 AM
I always liked to think that he was typing whatever crossed his mind at the time. I mean, you are going to have a ton of free time on your hands in the middle of an apocalypse.

"The Milk has gone bad. Shall attempt to construct yogurt tomorrow evening".

bassman
29-Mar-2010, 11:40 AM
Clearly it says "I see you....chocolate man"

krakenslayer
29-Mar-2010, 03:47 PM
"Roger DiMarco prefers CHOCOLATE dingdongs!"

paranoid101
29-Mar-2010, 04:41 PM
"I'm taking the elevator, what possibly could go wrong"

krakenslayer
29-Mar-2010, 07:41 PM
"Traffic reporters do it with their chopper."

darth los
29-Mar-2010, 07:57 PM
This is turning out to be quite the rorschach test...

:cool:

Mr.G
29-Mar-2010, 11:41 PM
It's not my baby...

JDFP
29-Mar-2010, 11:50 PM
"Rausch's patch really turns me on."

:p

darth los
30-Mar-2010, 12:51 AM
It's the start of a pre nup.

And considering frannie's disposition, a very wise choice.

sandrock74
30-Mar-2010, 05:46 AM
He typed:
"Peter, I've always loved you."

krakenslayer
30-Mar-2010, 06:52 AM
"Try as you might - Fran, Roger and Peter - you'll never reveal the true identity of... THE PHANTOM TYPIST! BWAAHAHA!"

MaximusIncredulous
30-Mar-2010, 09:33 PM
"Penney Sucks!"

Legion2213
30-Mar-2010, 09:40 PM
Dear Fran, enjoy the syphilis...

paranoid101
30-Mar-2010, 10:20 PM
"All work and no play makes Jack......err Stephen a dull boy"

krakenslayer
31-Mar-2010, 10:08 AM
:lol:

"The Jewes are the men that will not be blamed for nothing."

MinionZombie
31-Mar-2010, 10:14 AM
"The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs ... chapter one"

SymphonicX
31-Mar-2010, 10:50 AM
The poop that did a pee....

hahahahahaha

axlish
31-Mar-2010, 12:12 PM
"Where Da Weed At?"

bassman
31-Mar-2010, 12:17 PM

Oh man. This has turned into a laugh riot.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3595/3412906950_511fed3a73.jpg

Mike70
31-Mar-2010, 12:40 PM
"i was born a poor black child"

darth los
31-Mar-2010, 01:22 PM
Dear Fran, enjoy the syphilis...

...You got from peter... :stunned: :lol:

paranoid101
31-Mar-2010, 03:52 PM
Stephen thinks to himself "If you had an infinite number of monkeys, sitting at an infinite number of typewriters for an infinite number of years, typing at random then it could be accepted as a probability that one would eventually type the entire works of Shakespeare"

Then how come I've only got "See spot run"?

MinionZombie
31-Mar-2010, 06:06 PM
Stephen thinks to himself "If you had an infinite number of monkeys, sitting at an infinite number of typewriters for an infinite number of years, typing at random then it could be accepted as a probability that one would eventually type the entire works of Shakespeare"

Then how come I've only got "See spot run"?
"It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times?!" :eek:

First one to catch the reference wins an imaginary luminous pony that shits rainbows.

Trin
31-Mar-2010, 06:15 PM
"It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times?!" :eek:

First one to catch the reference wins an imaginary luminous pony that shits rainbows.

*Krusty the clown smacks a monkey*

Mike70
31-Mar-2010, 08:12 PM
i think it was the beginning of a letter that he was going to send to mcdermott via carrier pidgeon telling him about an entire warehouse of jameson's whiskey in ft. meyers.

Trin
31-Mar-2010, 08:42 PM
Clearly it says "I see you....chocolate man"
This is an incredibly awesome thread. And I'm not sure anyone has topped your opener yet.

paranoid101
31-Mar-2010, 10:59 PM
The secret Diary of Stephen Helicopter Pilot aged 25 & 1/4

Day 26

"Zombies"

krakenslayer
01-Apr-2010, 07:07 AM
"The Penis Monologues by Stephen Andrews

"Part One: Angry Mr. Floppy"

SymphonicX
01-Apr-2010, 07:19 AM
"I had a vaesectomy....you bitch"

---------- Post added at 08:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 AM ----------

I was racking my brains all night about that one...

Trin
01-Apr-2010, 02:46 PM
"Twilight of the Dead"

Stephen's zombie/romance crossover idea to try to capture soap opera loving housewives and teenage girls. Which ultimately would alienate all true zombie fans, but only after they buy it thinking what a cool new vampire - errr... I mean zombie - book it looked like, only to find it's really a thinly veiled romance book with a plot revolving around vampires - errr... zombies.

darth los
01-Apr-2010, 03:30 PM
"Twilight of the Dead"

Stephen's zombie/romance crossover idea to try to capture soap opera loving housewives and teenage girls. Which ultimately would alienate all true zombie fans, but only after they buy it thinking what a cool new vampire - errr... I mean zombie - book it looked like, only to find it's really a thinly veiled romance book with a plot revolving around vampires - errr... zombies.

SHHHHHHHH !! GAr might hear you and get ideas. :rolleyes:

krakenslayer
01-Apr-2010, 03:56 PM
"If you are reading this... you have no life."

bassman
01-Apr-2010, 04:09 PM

"In 30 years there will be dorks talking about this on something called the 'internet'"

Ya know....it makes you wonder why they showed the text, yet it was too small to see. Almost like it was an in-joke for the crew or something...

darth los
01-Apr-2010, 04:32 PM

"In 30 years there will be dorks talking about this on something called the 'internet'"

Ya know....it makes you wonder why they showed the text, yet it was too small to see. Almost like it was an in-joke for the crew or something...

And he seemed very pleased with himself as he was writing it. Sorta the same look when he found the vent in the elevator shaft. :lol:

krakenslayer
01-Apr-2010, 04:33 PM

It was probably a case of "Okay, we need footage of you guys playing with the products. David type something on this.

darth los
01-Apr-2010, 04:49 PM
And as usual, we over analyze it to hell...

Trin
01-Apr-2010, 05:51 PM
We're only at 4 pages into the second thread discussing this. We're not even to "barely analyzed" yet.

I mean, how does this affect the timeline? Do we know the shelf life of typewriter ribbon? Does this prove Day came after Land? Is this evidence of more survivors in other areas? Does this points towards radiation? Infection? Is there a racial undertone to the message? To the typing itself?

So much ground left to cover.

MaximusIncredulous
01-Apr-2010, 06:21 PM
We're only at 4 pages into the second thread discussing this. We're not even to "barely analyzed" yet.

I mean, how does this affect the timeline? Do we know the shelf life of typewriter ribbon? Does this prove Day came after Land? Is this evidence of more survivors in other areas? Does this points towards radiation? Infection? Is there a racial undertone to the message? To the typing itself?

So much ground left to cover.

Don't forgot the direction Steve was facing when he typed the cryptic message. North, East, South, or West as well as the date, precise time of day, and moon phase. Very important to understanding the TRUE meaning of the message.

MinionZombie
01-Apr-2010, 06:47 PM
Don't forgot the direction Steve was facing when he typed the cryptic message. North, East, South, or West as well as the date, precise time of day, and moon phase. Very important to understanding the TRUE meaning of the message.
More importantly, exactly where in the mall was he typing this message? I must know so I can go to the mall, with a GPS, and bring a replica of that very typewriter so I can take a photo and have the nerdiest/awesomest Facebook profile pic evarrrrr!!! :D

paranoid101
02-Apr-2010, 01:27 PM
Stephen had been pondering for a long time on what the title of his latest Erotic Gay Novel was going be.

Sudden the Title came to him like a flash of light.

"Rogering me"

Trin
02-Apr-2010, 03:20 PM
"Brokeback Mall"

krakenslayer
02-Apr-2010, 04:47 PM
Stephen had been pondering for a long time on what the title of his latest Erotic Gay Novel was going be.

"Rogering me"

And its sequel:

"Petering Out"

MinionZombie
02-Apr-2010, 05:37 PM

"Rogering me"

And its sequel:

"Petering Out"

Quality!

With a spin-off lesbian romance novel called "Feeling Frannie's Fanny".

paranoid101
02-Apr-2010, 06:06 PM
My latest self help book.

"Wooley guide to keeping calm in a crisis"

bassman
02-Apr-2010, 06:41 PM
"Wooley guide to keeping calm in a crisis"

Oh man. I would kill to have this made into one of those faux advertisement shirts...

AcesandEights
02-Apr-2010, 06:49 PM

Oh man. I would kill to have this made into one of those faux advertisement shirts...

I'm sure someone here...actually any one of us who took a little time, could come up with something of the sort.

SymphonicX
05-Apr-2010, 09:05 AM
someone get me some good screen caps of Wooley and I'll make one...

paranoid101
06-Apr-2010, 10:18 PM
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/1166/wooley.jpg (http://img29.imageshack.us/i/wooley.jpg/)

Legion2213
06-Apr-2010, 10:26 PM
Beautiful! :D

mista_mo
07-Apr-2010, 07:55 AM
More importantly, exactly where in the mall was he typing this message? I must know so I can go to the mall, with a GPS, and bring a replica of that very typewriter so I can take a photo and have the nerdiest/awesomest Facebook profile pic evarrrrr!!! :D

Make sure that you are using the very same ink that he was using in that scene, otherwise it will all be for naught! Also keep in mind, that you may have to bring some paint and other props to make the room look like it did way back in the day.

Only then will this be the ultimate facebook picture.

MinionZombie
07-Apr-2010, 10:02 AM
Me likes! :cool::thumbsup: