PDA

View Full Version : Are movie theatres becoming archaic/obsolete?

JDFP
29-Mar-2010, 03:41 PM
They are raising the price of movie tickets here (again) from $9.75 for regular evening attendence for an adult up to $11.00 now. This won't affect me in any way because I refuse to shell out this type of money to go see a movie at a theatre (I saw two movies at the theatre last year), but I find it to be ridiculous that if I wanted to I'd have to spend that type of $$$ to see a film. And then, God forbid, I wanted to buy popcorn (for $4) and a Coke (for another $4) to round it out to a good $20 for seeing a film with popcorn (which would normally cost about $.75 a pack and a Coke which would cost $.89 normally). Honestly, if you're going to spend that, why not just buy the damn thing when it comes out? Then you get to keep it for the $20 you would otherwise spend. And be honest... the vast majority of us sneak in a drink and/or snack into a theatre when we go to see a film at a theatre anyway.

I don't understand the appeal of seeing a film at the theatre with contemporary technology. You have to deal with the crowds of people (and I hate people), the insane prices of everything, and the possibility that you'll have unruly kids or listen to someone fiddle around with their Twix wrapper while you're trying to watch the film. It just seems a bit archaic to me. Don't get me wrong... I can understand the appeal of the theatre for a big budget epic film for some folks (but let's be honest, how often is there the big budget epic that's actually worth seeing anymore based on the merit of the storyline and/or acting other than a bunch of Michael Bay "let's blow shit up!" stuff?) just to see it on the big screen, but when so many of us have big screen plasma/LCD televisions with blu-ray players this seems a bit unnecessary for the expense as well.

Add to this the issue of cost again. I could drive down to a Redbox and rent a flick for $1 for a 24 hour period and of course there is always Blockbuster (well, the Total Access program even though the brick and mortar shells are going the way of history as being archaic as well) as well as Netflix. I know I average about $2 for every film that I watch as opposed to $11 (or more) for going to the theatre to see it.

So, I have two questions: The first is, do you think that theatres are becoming archaic and/or obsolete with contemporary technology?

Second, do you regularly go to see films at the theatre? If so, how do you justify spending so much money for a film when you could see it for 10 times less a few more months down the road (chances are with better quality, less hassle, and you can pause it if you have to go to the bathroom)?

(On a side note: when I do go to the theatre, on very rare events (also known as seeing Shyamalan on the big screen), there's a budget theatre that charges $3 around here for films that have been out for about a month or so that I go to see it at, I think willing to pay $11 to see a movie is basically stamping SUCKER on my forehead).

j.p.

AcesandEights
29-Mar-2010, 04:05 PM
To your first question, I have to say there is a risk of theaters being overtaken, but it hasn't completely happened yet. Things like iMax help for me. I also like the experience of seeing a movie in the theater, but this is a throwback to childhood conditioning and not, I fear, an acceptable rationale to base the future of a business model.

With regards to whether I go and how I justify it, well I pretty much answered that above, but I'll also add that I do like it as a social experience, seeing a film with others and discussing the film after the fact with real life (IRL) people in person. That can be done at a home theater, but I do like it as a reason to get out. I find a movie is just the thing to motivate my group of 30-something friends to get together. I've known a lot of these people for 20 or more years and it's worth having something we can all do together that easily meets the tastes of such a varied group. Finally, my girlfriend and I often get ticket packs to our local theaters as part of our birthday presents from certain family members, this makes going regularly a cheap, fun thing to do.

bassman
29-Mar-2010, 04:11 PM
I don't get to go to the theater as much as I would like after having a kid, but I used to go quite often. I absolutely LOVE the theater experience. Yeah, it's nice to watch films in the comfort of your own home and yeah sometimes there are bad theater experiences, but when you get the good experiences - It's great. Everyone is on the same page, the great picture and sound, just the feel of it. I love it, love it, love it.

As for the price....I personally don't think that 8-10 bucks is that bad for seeing a flick at the theater. And if you don't want to pay their huge prices on food - take your own. I've been doing that for years.

So in short, no I don't think Theaters are going anywhere anytime soon. Just look at the numbers films are pulling in these days and you'll see that they aren't going ANYWHERE...

BillyRay
29-Mar-2010, 05:26 PM
Well, we've been hearing about the death of the Movie Theatre since the beginning of television, and again when home video took off, and yet again when the Internet got rolling, so there's probably still some life in the Ol' Moviehouse yet.

Granted, most of us can watch a film in high-resolution, with stereo sound, on demand. But there's still something to be said about going out to a theatre & sitting with a group of people, all enjoying a shared experience.

I haven't been to the cineplex in over a year, myself. Normally I hit the Art House in town (I have a friend who manages, can get me in for free), or I hit one of those Cinema-bar & Grill outfits that are popping up everywhere. I get to have a beer, real food, and a comfy chair to see a film, usually in a refurbished "movie palace". Worth a couple extra bucks.

I generally can't be bothered to go see the latest blockbuster in the theatres. Sure, watching the spectacle of explosions/car chases/destruction of national monuments translates better on the big screen. But as a friend of mine put it: "There are other Aristotlean elements besides Spectacle".

(And does EVERYTHING have to be in 3-D now?)

darth los
29-Mar-2010, 05:39 PM
3-d is the new HD.

It's the same as when HD was being crammed down our throats. Whatever new novelty they can employ in order to suck that cash out of people's wallets, bet your ass they'll do it.

:cool:

Mr.G
29-Mar-2010, 11:49 PM
I love the theatre experience....along with some hot popcorn and a cold soda. Nothing beats it.

JDFP
29-Mar-2010, 11:51 PM
I love the theatre experience....along with some hot popcorn and a cold soda. Nothing beats it.

I'd argue that saving $16 out of the $20 bucks you just spent to do the same thing at home does. :)

j.p.

Mr.G
30-Mar-2010, 01:24 AM
I'd argue that saving $16 out of the $20 bucks you just spent to do the same thing at home does. :)

j.p.

IMO, not the same experience. I see your logic, but I prefer my method. I do go to less movies than before; I only pay for the ones I really want to see.

general tbag
30-Mar-2010, 03:18 AM
It gonan be the victim of the technological advancements.

clanglee
30-Mar-2010, 03:36 AM
I love the theater experience. . but what I mainly love about movies at the theater is that it will shut my loud ass family up for about two hours so I can watch a movie and actually be able to pay attention to whatever the hell is going on!! Ummm. . . .and . . .well. . . .. . . . .yeah. . . . .

bassman
30-Mar-2010, 11:50 AM
I love the theater experience. . but what I mainly love about movies at the theater is that it will shut my loud ass family up for about two hours so I can watch a movie and actually be able to pay attention to whatever the hell is going on!! Ummm. . . .and . . .well. . . .. . . . .yeah. . . . .

:lol: Very good point. When you've got loud kids running around and a wife cleaning/cooking/sewing/whatever....it gets a bit hard to watch a flick. Theater definitely wins in that aspect.

DjfunkmasterG
30-Mar-2010, 12:16 PM
so there's probably still some life in the Ol' Moviehouse yet.

Nice play on words from Interview with the Vampire.
:D

MikePizzoff
31-Mar-2010, 04:35 PM
Here's some of my college education paying off:

One reason ticket prices go up is gas prices. It costs a lot money for theatre chains to have popcorn shipped to their theaters all over the country, obviously due to gas. "Why don't they just raise the price on popcorn?" you may ask. Because, nobody would buy it. Nobody would think it were justified that because their movie ticket was only $5, the popcorn is worth paying $10 for. And then if they're not buying popcorn, that's going to stop many people from going to the concession stand altogether. Concession sales = major profit. However, reverse the equation back to what it is and people buy right into it: "Well my ticket was $12, so $4 for popcorn really isn't that bad."

darth los
31-Mar-2010, 04:55 PM
:lol: Very good point. When you've got loud kids running around and a wife cleaning/cooking/sewing/whatever....it gets a bit hard to watch a flick. Theater definitely wins in that aspect.

As opposed to the obnoxious teens, crying babies, and cell phones going off?

Danny
31-Mar-2010, 04:59 PM

j.p.

Not really, the point of the cinemagoing experience is paying for an experience you cant have at home. They just had to hike there prices up like everything else, but the actual cinema only makes a real income from selling food and drinks. Hence the abominable prices and the indoctrinated "but for 50 cents more you can have a large hotdog and drink combo!" 'upsizing'. at least thats cineworlds mantra in the uk, whent for a job interview a few years back and even that early on in the process they try and hammer into you more sideways salesman ship than they ever do at mcdonalds.

-Though people are going to mcdonalds FOR the food. nobody goes to the cinema wanting a hotdog:barf:

BillyRay
31-Mar-2010, 05:36 PM
Though people are going to mcdonalds FOR the food. nobody goes to the cinema wanting a hotdog:barf:

Don't be so sure...when I know I'm going to the local art house, I skip my dinner.

Why? Bagel Dogs...

http://www.viennabeef.com/uploads/products/A2EE0386F15D43709DCB764F333A2843.jpg

AcesandEights
31-Mar-2010, 05:44 PM
Bagel Dogs...

That's sexy!

bassman
31-Mar-2010, 05:47 PM
Don't be so sure...when I know I'm going to the local art house, I skip my dinner.

Why? Bagel Dogs...

Ohhh. That does look good. But one thing to remember, there's a big difference between the food at your local independent art house theater and your large chain theaters. The large chain theaters have the nasty stuff.:dead:

BillyRay
31-Mar-2010, 05:57 PM
The large chain theaters have the nasty stuff.:dead:

And the snack bar's pretty lousy, too!

> rimshot <

> crickets <

darth los
31-Mar-2010, 06:12 PM

Why? Bagel Dogs...

That's sexy!

Ohhh. That does look good. But one thing to remember, there's a big difference between the food at your local independent art house theater and your large chain theaters. The large chain theaters have the nasty stuff.:dead:

And you know wha those are made of right? :

Lips and assholes.

SRP76
31-Mar-2010, 06:27 PM
I'll only go to the theater if there's a movie I really don't want to wait 5-6 months to see. Other than that, I have no reason. I hate theater movies.

Now, give us each independent volume controls (I'm not fucking deaf; I don't need the volume cranked so high my brain bleeds) and - most importantly - a personal piss-bucket on the back of the seat in front us so we don't have to run out and miss part of the movie, and I'd be almost happy.

BillyRay
31-Mar-2010, 06:55 PM
And you know wha those are made of right? :

Lips and assholes.

Hey Los, it's the closest some people get to a hot date on a Friday night...:elol:

Chic Freak
31-Mar-2010, 10:34 PM
I love going to the cinema, but to answer your questions, I think more people like the idea of having a home cinema and no I can't afford to go very often. It's more of an occassional treat.

This (http://www.phoenixcinema.co.uk/) is my local, it kicks ass. It's the oldest cinema in the UK and all 1930s inside. I love it.

Nice play on words from Interview with the Vampire.
:D

Coincidentally, a scene from that movie was filmed at my local cinema (see above).

One reason ticket prices go up is gas prices. It costs a lot money for theatre chains to have popcorn shipped to their theaters all over the country, obviously due to gas.

I heard that cinema popcorn has one of the biggest mark-ups...

They just had to hike there prices up like everything else, but the actual cinema only makes a real income from selling food and drinks.

Again, I heard that getting a license to function as a cinema is really cheap, so the profits are large... hence Easycinemas and all that...

BillyRay
01-Apr-2010, 02:25 PM
This (http://www.phoenixcinema.co.uk/) is my local, it kicks ass. It's the oldest cinema in the UK and all 1930s inside. I love it.

Nice theatre. Here's some pics of my local, the Oriental.

The lobby:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/59/179906502_3949211aa6.jpg?v=0

Here's the main auditorium -
https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/kmbrucks/www/Images/PLAY/oriental.jpg

My favorite place to see a film.

bassman
01-Apr-2010, 02:29 PM
Jesus! That's a friggin palace!

You should see my local independent theater. It's a hole in the wall compared to that. But they play awesome films and the owners kick ass, so that makes up for it.

Back to the Future, Rosemary's Baby, Easy Rider, Reefer Madness, and The Secret of Nimh are all playing this month. So cool to see classics like these on the big screen.:cool:

MikePizzoff
01-Apr-2010, 05:42 PM
The independent theater I prefer to go to is subterranean, so it makes the experience that much more kick-ass.

darth los
01-Apr-2010, 06:13 PM
Hey Los, it's the closest some people get to a hot date on a Friday night...:elol:

I wasn't thinking in those terms but now that you mention it that DOES sound like a hot date. :lol:

Yojimbo
01-Apr-2010, 08:48 PM
Though I do not believe that the theater is in danger of dissapearing anytime soon, I can say that I don't dig paying the high prices for a theater experience marred by misbehaving children, unruly teens, and rude ass patrons who think nothing if distrubing everone with their conversations, twittering and general impolite behavior. This sort of crap has driven me to seek out a premium movie house - here in Los Angeles we have the Arclight which is more costly, but has assinged seating, attentive staff, decent food & a full bar. Should I choose to complain about a crying infant or cell phone talking idiot I know that they will be dealt with appropriately. The exception to this is if I am going to see a film in a revival or art house- but the patrons who frequent those venues I have noticed seem to behave themselves better than the average public.

So I think that while high prices are part of the issue, I think that the bigger issue is the flawed experience that patrons get for their money- rude patrons, uncaring and inefficient staff, subpar service at concessions. So if anything is killing the regular theaters it is lousy ass customer service IMO since obviously I and many other theatergoers do not mind paying premium prices for a decent theater experience.

My wife and I frequently watch movies at home - the majority of our films are viewed this way. That being said I do agree that there are some things the theater experience provides IMO that cannot be replaced by the home entertainment experience though- like being part of the collective conciousness which has been pointed out.

rongravy
04-Apr-2010, 03:23 PM
I go to the movies alot. From 1-4 times a week, with my kid. We have theaters here that only charge $4, except weekend showings after 5ish.
This way I can still afford my kid's $9 meager ass nacho combo that she can't live without. I keister my own food in, like candy bars and junk. If I'm in the mood for bacon wrapped brats, I get it all done and wrapped to put in her Hello Kitty bag. I used to work in one. The horrible things I've seen underpaid kids do to get the job done quicker. Using the floor broom to sweep out the popcorn machine, and once... I showed them how to take apart the drink station thing and clean it properly. People said their soda tasted better than it ever had. They should've seen the mold and gunk in those tubes, in the sprayer head thingies...
I do normally see something on Friday night. I just like going. Sure, sometimes people are rude assholes, but that can happen anywhere. When I have something on dvd I tend to get distracted, or stop and go to sleep.
The only thing sucky about theaters is I like to get superstonied before, and would like to have some kind of smoke break intermission.
And boy would I love to go to that theater someone posted. Wowzer!
I'm also blind as a bat, so I love the bigscreen!:cool:

Eyebiter
20-Apr-2010, 10:41 AM
One trend I'd like to see is the bar with a theater screen. You go into a bar with round tables served by waitresses. Everyone orders their drinks then the movie starts. The lighting is low but not blacked out like in a movie theater. Since it's a bar you can talk, drink, smoke or whatever while the movie plays in the background. The sound is loud enough to hear but not multiplex booming enough to drown out all conversation. Saw both Pink Floyd "The Wall' and "Starship Troopers" while drinking in bars. You don't get the same level of immersion found in the the traditional multiplex movie theater setting. However there are social benefits, such as watching boobs and bugs while sipping on a pint at your local pub.

DeadJonas190
21-Apr-2010, 08:49 AM
I don't go as much as I used to go. A few years ago I was at the theater probably 2-3 times a month, but since the tickets and concessions have gone up so dramatically in the past couple years I find myself only going to see the movies that I am excited to see (most recently Kick-Ass... which was great). Lately when I go see a movie I try to go before 6pm to a MJR Theater since they are only $4.50 compared to $7.50 at AMC during the day plus their concessions are much less expensive than the AMC concessions (2 large drinks and a popcorn is $17 at the AMC's near me). I have also noticed a decline in the quality of the AMC theaters over the past few years compared to the MJR theaters.

I don't see theaters going away anytime soon, but keep in mind that as long as people are willing to pay a lot of money for the experience there will be still be theaters in business.

Mr.G
23-Apr-2010, 01:31 AM
I'm not sure if we are lucky in Indiana, but most larger towns (including South Bend) have dollar theatres that show 'older new' movies...I frequent these much more regularly than other theatres. They aren't new releases but if you can wait 6-8 weeks you can save a ton of cash.

Tricky
23-Apr-2010, 08:19 AM
I used to go far more when I was younger when there was always a big group of us willing to go, before a lot got married & had kids etc! then I went through a phase of only going once or twice a year if it was something I really wanted to see, but this year since I went to see Avatar in 3D its brought something else to the experience that I just dont get at home watching the films on DVD, so im willing to go more often again now!

Neil
23-Apr-2010, 10:09 AM
I go typically about one every month or two these days. I go on half price night with a couple of mates so its a cheap way to catch a new release...

CooperWasRight
23-Apr-2010, 10:11 AM
A good skim on were your money goes when you buy a ticket.

http://themovieblog.com/2007/10/economics-of-the-movie-theater-where-the-money-goes-and-why-it-costs-us-so-much

I personally don't go to the movies any were near as often as I did even a few years ago... Cost is one reason, I have a 73" TV and love my PS3 for one reason... Blu-ray and last but not least as someone mentioned earlier the content just isn't there in theaters to make me wanna go that often... If it is a big film that really benefits from the theater experience then I will go... More often then not im disappointed because most of those films just are garbage... I go into the theater expecting them to not be great but to at least be ok (Im looking at you Terminator Salvation, Kick Ass, And even Spiderman 3....Yeah I remember the lame musical piano scene)

Some may disagree with my taste in BIG HUGE FUN SPECTACLE movies but it is getting more and more rare for The Matrix, Rambo,The Watchmen, The Dark Knight type theatrical films hitting. More often then not when I do hit the theater for something that is fun I just walk away thinking... Man that was a waste.

I'm not saying that all big films that come out anymore are worthless... Just the percentages (which were never that high to begin with) have certainly started to reach the point were your better off betting on race horses.

MinionZombie
23-Apr-2010, 10:23 AM
If there's something worth seeing, I'll go and see it, otherwise I won't go - especially after the prices got jacked up again. It's piss-take expensive, so that means I'll go less often these days, and certainly only before 5pm unless I can't help it, to at least get the price at the lower level.

If it's a good-looking comedy I'll go see it for the audience laugh-along, as I'll do for Hot Tub Time Machine after May 7th ... or if it's a bit spectacle movie that I want to see ... or sometimes if it's something special - such as The Road.

We have a pool of people to go to the cinema with, sometimes it can just be two of us, sometimes it can be a whole gang, but I've been going to the cinema regularly since Rambo came out. Although so far this year cinema attendance has been sporadic at best simply because stuff to view has been generally sparse ... and where the fudge is Cop Out? That was supposed to be out April 16th - yet no sign of it!

Iron Man 2 in a week/ten days though - hell yeah!

Neil
23-Apr-2010, 10:25 AM
I'll be there the first Tuesday it's on (half price) night.

TBH these days I don't see how cinemas survive! I went to see "Date Night" the night it opened... Probably only about 20 of us watched it!

Tricky
23-Apr-2010, 11:00 AM
When does the new Robin Hood come out? Im quite keen to see a version thats gritty & realistic rather than the usual comedies that the story is made into (men in tights, prince of thieves etc), il be checking that out at the cinema fo shizzle!

Neil
23-Apr-2010, 11:18 AM
When does the new Robin Hood come out? Im quite keen to see a version thats gritty & realistic rather than the usual comedies that the story is made into (men in tights, prince of thieves etc), il be checking that out at the cinema fo shizzle!

Don't get too excited... http://www.aintitcool.com/node/44783

MinionZombie
23-Apr-2010, 12:46 PM
I've gotta say I have zero interest in seeing the Robin Hood movie. No interest at all. I'll check out Centurion ... but I doubt I'll stump up the cash to see it in the cinema due to the prices ... with the prices the way they are now, it's gotta be a sure thing, otherwise I'm not going to splash the cash.

bassman
23-Apr-2010, 12:53 PM
I was never a big fan of Gladiator and this Robin Hood just looks like a chance to make Gladiator 2....

But hey....it's Ridley Scott. I'll check it out eventually. But until then I'll still be waiting for the Alien prequel.:cool:

Chic Freak
23-Apr-2010, 01:01 PM

Yee, I forgot that was coming out ^^ Hope it develops the Lords of War-type moral points of view on weapons distribution theme!

bassman
23-Apr-2010, 01:11 PM
Yee, I forgot that was coming out ^^ Hope it develops the Lords of War-type moral points of view on weapons distribution theme!

I just want to see Scarlett Johanson in a tight leather suit.:lol:

JDFP
23-Apr-2010, 01:45 PM
I just want to see Scarlett Johanson in a tight leather suit.:lol:

Thumbs way up (and that's not the only thing :sneaky:) on this quote, Bassman.

I guess the big appeal to folks in going to see a film in the theatre seems to be the audience interaction and experiencing the film with other people. I guess the more socially accepting people are, the more they would appreciate being around others in a theatre experience (just a thought?). As far as me, I just prefer to wait until a film comes out on disc and pop it into my big-screen and kick back at home (or maybe watch with some friends). I've just not ever been into spending $10 or more to go out and see something when I can see the same thing 4 months down the road for like $1 instead. And I usually don't like most people, so being around alot of folks in the theatre is just tedious to me (kids being kids, teenagers being teenagers, people coughing and farting and being obnoxious).

I agree with a few others here that there can be an "appeal" to see something in the theatre (depending on time/price/location) if it's something you've really wanted to see. I make an exception to go to the theatre for everything that Shyamalan and Cameron Crowe do (which is maybe once every two years in Shyamalan's case and once every four years or so for a Cameron Crowe film). So, I can see the logic in that sense.

j.p.