PDA

View Full Version : Possible cure for alzheimers discovered in easter islands soil

Danny
03-Apr-2010, 01:00 AM
http://io9.com/5508523/a-drug-discovered-in-the-soil-of-easter-island-could-cure-alzheimers

A life extending bacterium unique to the shores of easter island that may cure alzheimers?

This sounds wierd. I mean its great, really, if it works. This shit needs to get to Terry Pratchett stat. Easter Island though? this sound like its a day late OR the start to a bad zombie novel.

Come to think of it isnt it close to a total solar eclipse on easter island?

I am incredibly suspicious of this.

Publius
03-Apr-2010, 01:28 AM
Reminds me of the Stephen King short story about the guy who studies a town with unusually low crime and violence, and discovers that it's something in the water. So he lobbies to get the substance added to the water supply everywhere, and only then realizes that the town had an unusually high rate of premature senility too.

Danny
03-Apr-2010, 02:23 AM
that was king? i read that years ago online, thought it was a koontz piece.

AcesandEights
03-Apr-2010, 03:37 AM
i read that years ago online, thought it was a koontz piece.
Did it have a guy, a girl and a dog in ti? Were one or more of them suffering from something dark & terrible in their backstory? Do they find love?

If so, it was a Koontz, unless he's changed his MO up over the last 13 years.

Publius
03-Apr-2010, 04:52 AM
that was king? i read that years ago online, thought it was a koontz piece.

Yeah, "The End of the Whole Mess," which was included in the Nightmares & Dreamscapes anthology. I think I know the Koontz novel you're talking about, though: Night Chills. That also involved water supply contamination, but in Koontz's novel it's a drug added for more nefarious purposes.