PDA

View Full Version : HPotD member makes UK papers?

_liam_
08-Apr-2010, 12:59 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/apr/07/birdemic-horror-film-cult

Wasn't James or Paul Nguyen a poster on here? Sorry if this has already been posted or I have the wrong end of the stick

slickwilly13
08-Apr-2010, 02:07 PM
A member made that aweful movie?

MinionZombie
08-Apr-2010, 05:49 PM
Never heard of the movie, but that name "Nguyen" sounds awfully familiar...

AcesandEights
08-Apr-2010, 05:55 PM
Is that what it will take for you to post more, Liam? Some of us have to get famous? :p

axlish
08-Apr-2010, 09:38 PM
Grim Stories had that last name if I recall correctly.

MikePizzoff
08-Apr-2010, 10:14 PM
Grim Stories had that last name if I recall correctly.

If you look at his first post to these [new] forums, he says he just returned from working on "some big projects" so you're probably right.

bassman
14-Apr-2010, 06:54 PM
Apparently it isn't just the UK papers this thing is appearing in. I've now seen in it several places online, on TV's Attack of the Show, and now it's going to be playing across most of the US (http://www.birdemic.com/screenings/). It's coming to my favorite theater in Atlanta. Might have to check it out and see what levels of awful it reaches.

If this guy is/was a member, it looks like he's about to reach the same level of celebrity as Tommy Wiseau....

krakenslayer
14-Apr-2010, 07:49 PM
You guys seen the trailer?:

qrw2FQ7mLyQ

:lol::lol::lol: BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA! :lol::lol::lol:

As one commentator put it: "you spend 3/4th of the video filming karaoke backrounds and then hit us with a windows 95 screensaver?" :D

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

I don't think it's Grimstories, by the way. Wasn't Grimstories a Nazi? This Nguyen guy isn't, well, white.

Mind you, given the insanity of what's in this movie, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out he was also an oriental white supremacist. It would make a crazy kind of sense.

bassman
14-Apr-2010, 07:51 PM
:lol:

Oh man. All the footage and trailers for this thing are fantastic. This may be even worse than Manos: The Hands of Fate...

krakenslayer
14-Apr-2010, 08:47 PM
It seems now that Nguyen is deliberately playing up to his "awful" reputation, with the trailer for his new film Peephole: The Perverted:

OkSY-kff_jk

MikePizzoff
14-Apr-2010, 10:17 PM
That trailer was so deliberately bad that it wasn't even funny; it was just awful. :|

krakenslayer
14-Apr-2010, 10:31 PM
That trailer was so deliberately bad that it wasn't even funny; it was just awful. :|

I thought 1:53 onwards was pretty funny.

MinionZombie
15-Apr-2010, 09:57 AM
http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/4/24/633761899407989620-facepalm.jpg

Indeed...

http://starlightincentive.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/palm-tree-face.jpg

DjfunkmasterG
15-Apr-2010, 11:14 AM
Shit, bad or not he is receiving the attention most of us trying to get into the biz full time would kill for... YIKES! I guess I need to start making even shittier movies.

But kudos to him... he has done something all of us have tried one way or another and its working for him so... salute.

krakenslayer
15-Apr-2010, 10:20 PM
I saw it.

Wow... :stunned:

major jay
15-Apr-2010, 10:54 PM
I saw it.

Wow... :stunned:

C'mon Kraken, it rendered you speechless? You're an articulate guy, so give us the rundown.
Watching the trailer makes me think it's just a one trick pony, stunningly bad effects, and the rest being a snoozefest. (but I hope I'm wrong)

Neil
16-Apr-2010, 07:48 AM
A member made that aweful movie?

**walks away... pulls plug out of HPotD server**

I've seen some of the film now... The acting and dialog is utterly aweful beyond belief!

krakenslayer
16-Apr-2010, 06:10 PM
C'mon Kraken, it rendered you speechless? You're an articulate guy, so give us the rundown.
Watching the trailer makes me think it's just a one trick pony, stunningly bad effects, and the rest being a snoozefest. (but I hope I'm wrong)

I'll give it this, it is DAMN entertaining, just not in the way the director originally intended.

The movie is beyond amateurish - the editing and sound recording/design are particularly awful, actually worse than the effects: for example, a character asks a question then stands looking awkwardly at the other individual for an unneccesarily extended period of time, there is a pop on the soundtrack and then background noise goes silent (because there is no separate "environmental audio" recording, only the noise picked up while recording dialogue using the camera's built-in mic), then the shot cuts to the other speaker, who says their piece and stops, we hold on them standing, staring in silence, for about ten seconds then suddenly jump to the next scene. The acting is also horrendously wooden and the dialogue is embarrassingly awkward (on the first date, the couple spend about five minutes of screen time discussing the guy's stock options). There is also, literally, no logic or motivation behind almost anything the characters do, or even any real sense of narrative purpose; even before the birds attack, they just seem to spend most of their time wandering from one incident/scene to another, and the remaining time is mostly spent telling each other at length about the events that have just happened to them, which the audience have already witnessed. Hell, we even get to see the lead character's entire drive to and from work, including an extended stop off at a filling station, during which nothing of note happens. :stunned:

Now, if you think this sounds boring, you'd be wrong. The whole movie is positively hypnotic. Honestly, I literally could not take my eyes off it. It was like my brain refused to accept it was not intentionally bad; in fact, part of me still wonders if the movie's awfulness is not, in itself, a clever marketing ploy that was planned from the start. I know I'm probably mad, but some of the terrible set-pieces just seem too deliberately constructed, the lack of perspective (both visual and mental) just a little too finely-tuned, and the hilarious dialogue misfires just too perfectly timed and executed to wring the maximum of hilarity from every exchange. It's just too perfect. I reckon Nguyen is either incredibly naive or incredibly crafty.

Either way, hats off to the man. There is clearly a lot of his personality in this film - there are a bunch of ideas and opinions and characters that are clearly just lifted clean out of his head and piled slapdash into the camera. It's very messy and terribly executed, but coming away from the movie you feel like you have had a kind of insight into someone else's mind (if only by accudent). And it's kind of sweet.

I will say this: I genuinely laughed and I genuinely cried (granted, the latter was a result of doing too much of the former), and it's not often a movie hits me as hard as that. Forget all those cheapskate, piss-poor zombie knockoffs and bottom-feeding professional mockbusters that duck it out on the IMDB bottom 100: this movie is like nothing you've ever seen before, it's going to become very well known and entertain a lot of people and make Nguyen a crapload of money. And as shitty as the movie is by almost every technical and artistic standard, I think if a movie brings entertainment to people and some measure of success to its creator, then it's not truly a failure.

I say good luck to him.

P.S. In short, just imagine Duck Hunt: The Movie made by enthusiastic ten-year-olds.

MinionZombie
17-Apr-2010, 10:46 AM
You see, this sort of thing pisses me off.

There's countless people out there trying real hard to make good films ... meanwhile this guy makes garbage and he's rewarded for it.

If the garbage is intended, then shame on him for deliberately making trash. If it's not intended then shame on everything for rewarding garbage.

EvilNed
17-Apr-2010, 10:58 AM
Meh. Whatevers funny is fine with me. I love unintentionally bad films. But I can't stand crappy sound recording...

krakenslayer
17-Apr-2010, 11:51 AM
You see, this sort of thing pisses me off.

There's countless people out there trying real hard to make good films ... meanwhile this guy makes garbage and he's rewarded for it.

If the garbage is intended, then shame on him for deliberately making trash. If it's not intended then shame on everything for rewarding garbage.

I know what you're saying but, hey, life's a bitch sometimes. I'm trying to get a "good" film off the ground too, but I have no feeling of sour grapes for this guy. He's obviously passionate about what he does, and there's at least a 50/50 shot he was TRYING to make a decent movie (watching some interviews now, he does seem VERY sincere).

There are a lot of people trying to make good art, but they don't always succeed in making something that has mass entertainment appeal, or they create something that is technically very good and ticks all the boxes but doesn't really have anything uniquely its own to make it stand out from the competition. I am something of a trash connoisseur, and yet this movie is like nothing I have ever seen before.

If you imagine filmmakers as guys all lined up at a driving range, trying to hit a hole in one, Nguyen took his shot while facing in the wrong direction, the ball smashed a window at the clubhouse, fell down a plughole, was washed out to sea, eaten by a fish, which was eaten by a bird, which then flew back over the golf course and shat the ball back out into the hole.

If it was created to be purposefully bad and entertaining, then it is more successful in its aims than almost any movie ever made; if it was an accident, it was one of the most superlatively entertaining cinematic accidents in history. Either way, the movie deserves to be seem, IMO.

Good filmmakers shouldn't feel threatened or jealous - if anything, film students should be shown this movie on their first day at film school - in every shot and every frame, there are about ten example of what NOT to do when making a movie. Watch and learn, haha.

mista_mo
17-Apr-2010, 12:19 PM
You just need to make a new film.

Something about drop kicking children into combines should get you pretty infamous.

You can even dress it up a little bit, like, make it so that the children aren't likable at all...make them from Texas or something.

No one likes Texas.

Just make sure to dress them atrociously, and try to get across how backwards and useless they are. Give them mullets, and dress them in capes and rainbow socks if need be. Sort of like Spartans, but sweaty and hairy.

They could be zombies as well I guess...fighting zombie children from Texas that wear rainbow socks and capes, and have mullets.

slickwilly13
17-Apr-2010, 01:46 PM
You just need to make a new film.

Something about drop kicking children into combines should get you pretty infamous.

You can even dress it up a little bit, like, make it so that the children aren't likable at all...make them from Texas or something.

No one likes Texas.

Just make sure to dress them atrociously, and try to get across how backwards and useless they are. Give them mullets, and dress them in capes and rainbow socks if need be. Sort of like Spartans, but sweaty and hairy.

They could be zombies as well I guess...fighting zombie children from Texas that wear rainbow socks and capes, and have mullets.

Here's my video response to the above post. Replace the Iron Sheik, Randy Savage, and Miss Elizabeth with me, Mo, and Hellsing. Replace Jew with Canadian. :p bitch

*note: do not watch this at school or work"

KIcsDGYvKpY&playnext_from=TL&videos=UXkNExixqDo

major jay
19-Apr-2010, 09:11 PM
If you imagine filmmakers as guys all lined up at a driving range, trying to hit a hole in one, Nguyen took his shot while facing in the wrong direction, the ball smashed a window at the clubhouse, fell down a plughole, was washed out to sea, eaten by a fish, which was eaten by a bird, which then flew back over the golf course and shat the ball back out into the hole.

:lol::lol::lol:

I hope the movie is as funny as that review. Thanks for that. It sounds entertaining in a schizophrenic sort of way.