View Full Version : So, what happens to most of the members here?

JDFP
09-Apr-2010, 05:56 PM
I just noticed at the top of the page that there's apparently 2,097 members here at HPOTD. Of those 2,097 people I'd say a good 30 of us post regularly (that's being conservative for an estimate). Another 20 will peek their head in once a month or so and throw up a single post or two. So, it makes me wonder: What happened to the other 97% of people that are supposedly members here?

In reading through older posts, there have been a ton of older members that have just "disappeared" off the face of the earth. They used to post regularly but then just... gone... Then of course are the more entertaining characters that have been here and have gotten themselves banned. Then there are the people that come by and create an account and throw up 3 or 4 posts and then just well, disappear again. It makes me wonder why people come by a message forum to create an account just to never come post at it or bother to check it. I suppose quite a large percentage of the people that come here to read and lurk (I did this for quite some time), but that begs the question as to why they'd bother to create an account if they were only going to lurk/read anyway without ever commenting. Hmm... I'm perplexed.

Anyway, this is for you lurkers/folks who have disappeared or haven't posted in ages. Where are you? What keeps you at bay from enjoying the insanity of we fine HPOTD kinsman/brothers/sisters here that you have abandoned? Is it life or is it the exhibition of fine individuals and characters that we have amassed here as a refuge from life that you don't feel like participating?

And for those of us that are "regulars", what keeps us coming back and participating here? What is it about HPOTD that you enjoy here moreso than any other board?

C'mon, there are about 2,000 of you lurkers, speak your mind...

j.p.

Tricky
09-Apr-2010, 06:03 PM
Yeah there is a lot of members as opposed to posters, I guess a lot of them see their first decent zombie film, get all excited about the genre, find this board & start posting all over it, then the excitement wears off, their interest wanes & they stop posting! ive done that before on plenty of forums relating to bands or club events that ive been into at different points in my life, same with myspace & other social network sites that ive joined, been all over, then not used anymore. I dont really know whats kept me around here as im not uber interested in zombie films like I used to be (still enjoy them though), I just kind of like this forum & feel an attachment to a few other long term posters that have been here a while

AcesandEights
09-Apr-2010, 06:08 PM
It's been pointed out to me before that a lot of the extra low or no post count users are just registered for access to the fiction section.

The rest...well, pitchforks and torches can do wonders for removing unwanted elements :p Plus there's a lot of people who post not just every few months, but like a few times a year at most. A few others get deployed or even sent to prison and we don't hear from them much till they are back in regular rotation in society. Then there's the lot of short-termers who probably feel they don't fit in after a short stretch.

bassman
09-Apr-2010, 06:13 PM
Fiction Section used to be a hot area, I believe. Never cared much for it, but I think that's where most of the memberships come from.

The rest just fade away. Or go to jail.:lol:

darth los
09-Apr-2010, 07:39 PM
Imo, there has to be more than just zombies that keep a person here. As was already eloquently stated that wears off and what's left after that?

What's left after a person busts their geek nut? A flacid soul where once stood an arect, eager member. (Wait what are we talking about here again? :lol:)

Seriously though, I'm in it for the comrodery. We already have something in common off the top but it leaks into other areas. I think most are just excited that they've finally found a place where they won't be made fun of or looked at like they have 3 eyes when wanted to talk zombies.

Take philly for example. He rarely posts outside of dead discussion for whatever reason. It's been my observation that those of us with broader interests who wish to discuss and post in other forums are the more "regular" members.

Through this interaction a bond forms and I know that this has been discussed before and it might be crazy but i consider you guys my actual friends that I make reference to in everyday life.

We disagree at times but what do you expect? We come from very diverse backrounds and locations and view life very differently. It's actually a testament to us that we can actually come together and disuss things as civily as we do.

I'm a Puerto Rican From NYC, Bassman is a white guy from Georgia and we get along great. Go figure right?

So, I can't really say why others do what they do, but speaking for myself, it's simple. It's the people.

:cool:

bassman
09-Apr-2010, 07:50 PM
I'm a Puerto Rican From NYC, Bassman is a white guy from Georgia and we get along great. Go figure right?

You Lazy Yank.:p

Darth does have a good point. Most regular members are here for a nice community and "friendships". And as I've said before, this is definitely one of the coolest boards I've ever visited. You guys know I'm a nut for GB but hardly post on those boards due to most of those guys being douchebags. Not the case here at HPotD. I also often talk about this place in my daily life. My wife knows some of you guys by name and doesn't even question it when I bring you up. :lol:

I would even go far out there and say that MOST of the regulars aren't here for zombie talk at all really. Sure we still talk about it from time to time, but that's not what really draws us back.

AcesandEights
09-Apr-2010, 08:19 PM
I would even go far out there and say that MOST of the regulars aren't here for zombie talk at all really. Sure we still talk about it from time to time, but that's not what really draws us back.

Come for the zombie goodness, stay for the flame wars? :D

Not that there are flame wars here like there used to be (thank god...I mean, thank mods).

MaximusIncredulous
09-Apr-2010, 08:19 PM
And for those of us that are "regulars", what keeps us coming back and participating here?

You know, I've been asking myself that question for around nine years now and still haven't found an answer.

Maybe we're like those zombies in Dawn that feel the need to hang around the mall.

BillyRay
09-Apr-2010, 08:27 PM
Maybe we're like those zombies in Dawn that feel the need to hang around the mall.

Nah...it's simply the sense of community I find here:

http://monstergirl.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/thankyoucm6.jpg

Hearse King
10-Apr-2010, 12:10 AM
I may be a new member.. but I know how that goes.. I have to admit I do fall victim to being a lurker from time to time lol... but for the majority I like to post and get to know people from the horror community. Especially since my friends and family think im a freaking nut lamo.

Publius
10-Apr-2010, 12:30 AM
I just noticed at the top of the page that there's apparently 2,097 members here at HPOTD. Of those 2,097 people I'd say a good 30 of us post regularly (that's being conservative for an estimate). Another 20 will peek their head in once a month or so and throw up a single post or two. So, it makes me wonder: What happened to the other 97% of people that are supposedly members here?

Is that unusual, though? Gladwell's Law of the Few states that in any activity, 80% of the work will be done by 20% of the participants. Had he considered Internet message boards, I imagine the ratio would have been even more lopsided. I don't think I've ever belonged to a forum where the great majority of posting wasn't done by a small minority of members.

Exatreides
10-Apr-2010, 05:46 PM
I post when something catches my interest or I feel like something should be discussed.

I've been coming here for a few years and is my second longest running forum membership (next to dune2k.com which is around 10 years)

Kaos
10-Apr-2010, 06:33 PM
nah...it's simply the sense of community i find here:

http://monstergirl.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/thankyoucm6.jpg

one of us, one of us, one of us

Danny
10-Apr-2010, 07:34 PM
honestly i love the tight nit community, its like cheers, but involves way more banter about rotten bodies that arent kirsty alley.

2000+ regulars all posting constantly would suck youd try and post a reply to something and get it buried in at LEAST 200 dickheads FLAMAN/TROLLAN.

no thank you.

mista_mo
11-Apr-2010, 09:51 AM
GrimStories name is Tom Martin.

Publius
11-Apr-2010, 12:05 PM
rotten bodies that arent kirsty alley.

Speaking of whom, Star Trek 2 was on TV the other night. Her career was all downhill from there IMHO. Too bad it was her first acting role! ;) Wonder how things mighta been different if she hadn't passed up the Saavik role in ST3.

bassman
11-Apr-2010, 01:16 PM
Come on....no love for Look Who's Talking?

DubiousComforts
11-Apr-2010, 02:13 PM
Test for Echo. Some folks simply don't need to find it on HPOTD.

Exatreides
11-Apr-2010, 02:31 PM

Hahaha, Very nice.

MikePizzoff
11-Apr-2010, 07:36 PM

:confused: I don't get it!

mista_mo
11-Apr-2010, 09:27 PM
:confused: I don't get it!

Your name is not Tom Martin.

MikePizzoff
11-Apr-2010, 11:20 PM
Your name is not Tom Martin.

:eek: I get it!

Wyldwraith
12-Apr-2010, 05:51 AM
Just been thinking about this,
I spend a lot of time here on HotD and over on Rise. Of late I've been wondering what the deal in the downturn % of interesting threads/contributions on both sites is.

I'll be perfectly honest and admit my own interests aren't terribly broad. Survival Horror, some grittier Sci-Fi, Sword and Sorcery-type Fantasy...strategy games, the occasional MMORPG (which I generally lose interest in quickly because World of Warcraft so dominates the genre that NO ONE ELSE put in decent investments, regular support of their craptastic low-budget games)...and books of the same genres that I watch movies of.

That said, I hang around mainly for the occasional interesting thread in Dead Discussion. Can't really bring myself to regularly talk about Romero's downward spiral embodied in his 3 most recent films, and the Fiction Discussion section is pretty much a closed-circle community.

Most of the time I lurk though, because it seems like 75% of the time when I add a Dead Discussion reply the thread continues on as if I'd never posted. It's cool, no one had anything they felt like replying to, but it doesn't encourage you to keep adding replies to that thread either.

Bottom line belief for me: People stick with forum communities where they establish circles of friends with multiple interests they all share. Otherwise there simply isn't enough draw to keep you from moving on to the next thing to momentarily catch your attention.

Then again, sometimes it feels difficult to "become a regular" here. ::shrugs:: Probably just my misperceiving the nuances of what's going on.

So yea, there's my .02 about lurking & what gets people motivated to remain and take part in a forum long-term.

AcesandEights
12-Apr-2010, 02:43 PM
sometimes it feels difficult to "become a regular" here. ::shrugs::

I think most long running communities online have that feel, but--for what it's worth--it took a long time to feel like people here even knew I was a returning, regular posting member. I think this is just the way it is with online, high-turnover communities, no one wants to get to close to the F.N.G., because he'll probably be gone quick enough.

They say if you're gonna stop posting in the HPotD, it's better to stop in the first few weeks. The logic being you don't suffer that much.

ProfessorChaos
12-Apr-2010, 02:47 PM
is it just me, or has activity around here lately almost came to a crawl? maybe everyone's having great spring weather and spending more time outdoors or something, but it just doesn't seem like a lot's been going on, even among some of the more active members...

Danny
12-Apr-2010, 02:52 PM
is it just me, or has activity around here lately almost came to a crawl? maybe everyone's having great spring weather and spending more time outdoors or something, but it just doesn't seem like a lot's been going on, even among some of the more active members...

thats the season, the last like 7 months have just been snowstorms and flash floods, now its finally sunny people are outside. simple as.

AcesandEights
12-Apr-2010, 02:54 PM
is it just me, or has activity around here lately almost came to a crawl?

Nope, not just you. I've noticed it the last...I dunno...month or so, it's been really bad. I was planning on staging an intervention, but didn't know who to confront.

Perhaps we're just in a lull, with there having been so many zombie films the last few years (comparatively speaking), some people may have gotten their fix and aren't jonesin' the way they were a few years back. I also wonder if some people have grown a bit disillusioned with Romero after his recent outings. Then again, I think most sites have a life cycle and we may be experiencing a regular downturn...perhaps we have to kidnap some new blood.

childofgilead
12-Apr-2010, 05:29 PM
I first came across the site in 1999 and trolled the original boards and fiction section for years. I wrote some fiction, met alot of fun people, but sometimes life intrudes.

For those not around at the time, there was a huge flamewar and alot of regular contributors left and never came back.

I don't post alot because it's rare to find something that I really want to talk about. Or something that isn't already mentioned by someone else by the time I finish reading through all the pages, so I figure if I have nothing more to contribute that I should just shet my mouf.

There have been alot of really interesting threads lately though, I especially like the timeline discussions and the what if you were transported into the movie. (was gonna crack wise about the last action hero golden ticket but someone beat me to it)

And honestly, I kinda feel like some kind of thread killer, every time I post something, it's either ignored or the thread fades into obscurity.

*shrug*

AcesandEights
12-Apr-2010, 05:47 PM
And honestly, I kinda feel like some kind of thread killer, every time I post something, it's either ignored or the thread fades into obscurity.

Okay, he's posted in this thread people. Clear out. Can we get a lock from the Mods? :D

I know what you mean, I used to feel that way too sometimes (on occasion I still do). I think there is a tendency for people to banter more with people they know and/or feel comfortable/friendly with. Perhaps we can all make more of an effort to be a bit friendlier. I'm a Pisces. What sign are you?

I guess, quite often we tend to have running jokes or back and forth in our threads that run topics offtrack and sometimes opinions and posts fall through the cracks. Hey, I sympathize...I've dropped some real fortune cookie zen and been ignored and then made a silly joke in another thread later and that's what engenders a response. Then again, just because we do not get a response doesn't mean what we wrote wasn't read, thought about or appreciated (or scorned, for that matter).

Anyway, I hope you still post when the mood strikes, CofG.

childofgilead
12-Apr-2010, 05:57 PM
You're probably right about people not knowing me and stuff and having their own in jokes and what not..scary thing is..I got the joke about Tom Martin.

AcesandEights
12-Apr-2010, 06:21 PM
..scary thing is..I got the joke about Tom Martin.

Well, I didn't :shifty:

Seriously.

ProfessorChaos
12-Apr-2010, 06:24 PM
that makes two of us.

darth los
12-Apr-2010, 06:27 PM
You're probably right about people not knowing me and stuff and having their own in jokes and what not..scary thing is..I got the joke about Tom Martin.

Also, try and post more often. 22 posts isn't exactly going to get you known.

Another thing, perhaps if a post is directed toward someone in particular, they'd actually respond, instead of just making a statement, no matter how on topic it may be.

MikePizzoff
12-Apr-2010, 09:01 PM
I've been thinking about joining another forum to fill the void this one has caused, however I can't find anything that super interests me. Every other forum I find is filled with jokes I don't get, dorks, elitists, and straight-up assholes.

Also, someone clue the rest of us in on the Tom Martin joke.

mista_mo
12-Apr-2010, 09:03 PM
I'm not even sure to be honest. I was just receiving messages from the Big Giant Head, and he told me to post that.

I don't know wh- argh grah braggh

Incoming message from the Big Giant Head:

Thin your paints.

FoodFight
13-Apr-2010, 01:41 AM

That'll just draw him in. He googles himself, you know.

Publius
18-Apr-2010, 01:34 PM
I just noticed at the top of the page that there's apparently 2,097 members here at HPOTD.

Hmmm. Just noticed that if you actually look at the members list, there's only 1,683.
:shifty:

rongravy
18-Apr-2010, 02:35 PM
Haha, I feel like a threadkiller here sometimes. I came here for some Romero love and news, news, news.

Danny
18-Apr-2010, 02:41 PM
Haha, I feel like a threadkiller here sometimes. I came here for some Romero love and news, news, news.

/Thread.html

rongravy
18-Apr-2010, 02:49 PM
/Thread.html
???
semi drunk. no comprende. yeah, i know it's a sunday morning, but i'd be a better ally than some silly nancyboy in a pinch.

Chic Freak
18-Apr-2010, 04:32 PM
In reading through older posts, there have been a ton of older members that have just "disappeared" off the face of the earth.

Terran and coma are the first two that spring to my mind. Do they still come here?

Also, someone clue the rest of us in on the Tom Martin joke.

I don't get it either.

BillyRay
18-Apr-2010, 07:19 PM
Haha, I feel like a threadkiller here sometimes.

You and me both, brother...

DjfunkmasterG
18-Apr-2010, 08:40 PM
Tme to give this thread some CPR... tis been an hour since anyone posted.

BillyRay
18-Apr-2010, 08:55 PM
See? What'd I say?

Yojimbo
18-Apr-2010, 09:30 PM
I used to post more frequently during downtime at work put about six months ago management clamped down and installed spyware when it became apparent that a few employees were spending more tome surfing the web than doing actual work. Since then I pretty much only post on my off hours and balance that with spending time with my wife, running errands and sleeping.

I have been to many boards, but none of them had the level of comradarie, intelligent postings and polite discourse that I get from you freaks. George Romero connection aside, this is the main reason why I keep returning to you all and will continue to do so even if it means giving up previous sleep time.

btw: I too don't get that Martin reference. Please enlighten me!

Cartma7546
19-Apr-2010, 09:45 AM
I used to post on a day to day basis way back before the site had all these bells and whistles but now i just peak in time and time again. I need to quit being a poser and buy a T shirt and rep the site.

AcesandEights
19-Apr-2010, 01:50 PM
Terran and coma are the first two that spring to my mind. Do they still come here?

Not sure about Coma, but Terran pops in from time to time. I see him as 'online' every now and then and he posted in the Khardis/April Fool's thread just 2 weeks back, but he doesn't really post anymore, which is a shame.

MikePizzoff
19-Apr-2010, 04:31 PM
Coma hasn't posted since 2007! However, his last visit here was in January of this year.

darth los
19-Apr-2010, 04:50 PM

I've seen Terran come on a couple of times but I don't believe he posted.

Coma on the otherhand i have no idea about. He literally seems to have fallen off the earth. I might have to run up to the Bronx one of these days and see what's up with that.

soulsyfn
19-Apr-2010, 05:11 PM
Alright, this thread is a good vehicle to let people know why "I" dont post often (hell I don't think I have posted in years). I made an initial vault into the forum head first and started replying to posts. And like others I felt like a thread killer amoung other things.

Each of the "regular posters" have really created a family atmosphere that is great and maybe its to great because it becomes intimidating. This makes it difficult for someone new to join in on most converstations. So, like others (or maybe not) I second guess my comments that I am about to post because I dont want to come off as a douche... or disrupt the flow of the thread.

In short, your tight-nit group is so tight-nit it makes it hard for new people to join in the fun... I will try to be more involved as I do visit almost everyday to lurk and read the ramblings of other dead fans.

Puerto Rican in da 'Burgh btw!

mista_mo
19-Apr-2010, 05:39 PM
In short, your tight-nit group is so tight-nit it makes it hard for new people to join in

That is pretty much the best explanation. I've seen so many people drop maybe a dozen posts and then take off, never to be heard from again.

In part, I think that this community doesn't tolerate 'idiots' or attention whores very well, and most of those types are driven off fairly early (and usually in a slurry of relatively nasty posts).

Some of the discussions are also very tough to get involved in, as what you were wanting to say may have already been stated in that topic already. Many of them are of a political nature, and as such, people let their personal views get the netter of them, and shit gets nasty.

It is also tough to get involved in many of the dead related discussion as well, as 90% of the possible topics have already been covered, and as such, talking about your ideal shelter, or the best oil to use on your pick axe, so it doesn't get lodged in a zombies skull gets sort of redundant when those ideas have been discussed to death.

Personally, I much prefer sitting back and reading over the archives and old threads, rather then contribute anything to the newer ones, as I usually don't have anything constructive to add to virtually anything that is being discussed.

soulsyfn
19-Apr-2010, 05:54 PM
...Some of the discussions are also very tough to get involved in, as what you were wanting to say may have already been stated in that topic already. Many of them are of a political nature, and as such, people let their personal views get the netter of them, and shit gets nasty...

These are two very good reasons I do not respond (but it is primarily the former). But I would love to be taken in by the group and join in on discussions...

Like I said I am online and on this site almost everyday so I will try to make a concerted effort to join in and not make an asshat out of myself in the process.

mista_mo
19-Apr-2010, 06:06 PM
These are two very good reasons I do not respond (but it is primarily the former). But I would love to be taken in by the group and join in on discussions...

Like I said I am online and on this site almost everyday so I will try to make a concerted effort to join in and not make an asshat out of myself in the process.

I wouldn't worry about making a fool out of yourself too much...

I got that part down pat.

But don't be afraid of contributing either. The only time anyone on here would look down on you is if you were to be racist, prejudiced, or do anything completely mind boggling and ridiculous (like if you said that you like Dawn of the Dead 2004 more than Romeros version).

Oh, and use lots of emoticons. Everyone loves emoticons.

Tricky
19-Apr-2010, 06:07 PM

Well, stick around good chap! Always welcome around these parts! :)

darth los
19-Apr-2010, 07:27 PM
Alright, this thread is a good vehicle to let people know why "I" dont post often (hell I don't think I have posted in years). I made an initial vault into the forum head first and started replying to posts. And like others I felt like a thread killer amoung other things.

Each of the "regular posters" have really created a family atmosphere that is great and maybe its to great because it becomes intimidating. This makes it difficult for someone new to join in on most converstations. So, like others (or maybe not) I second guess my comments that I am about to post because I dont want to come off as a douche... or disrupt the flow of the thread.

In short, your tight-nit group is so tight-nit it makes it hard for new people to join in the fun... I will try to be more involved as I do visit almost everyday to lurk and read the ramblings of other dead fans.

Puerto Rican in da 'Burgh btw!

Well dude, I gotta say that what you're saying is very disturbing to me. i apologize if that's the atmosphere as you interpret it but that's not our intention. I doubt very much that if you tried to contribute to a thread in which predominantly "regulars" have posted, that anyone will say anything nasty to you.

Truthfully, I had a couple of people being really condescending for a while and a month ago I put them on my ignore list and I'm having a much more pleasant experience here because of it. So it just doesn't happen to "newbies" or people who don't post that often either.

clanglee
19-Apr-2010, 08:45 PM
You know, I used to feel like I was killing threads too. . . .hell. . .a lot of them, but I just sort of muscled through. Basically I just insinuated myself into this little community until they finally had to accept me. ;):D

Fact is. . .I still kill threads. . . .I just care as much. . .my contributions lean usually more to the snarky side anyways. . .so no real response is expected. . . just you watch. . . . .this thread will die now that I have posted. Just you watch.

MaximusIncredulous
19-Apr-2010, 09:33 PM
No thread is truly dead until the stink of Maximus enshrouds it.

RIP thread. :dead:

clanglee
19-Apr-2010, 09:39 PM
Dammit Maximus!!!! You throwing off my groove!!!

Danny
19-Apr-2010, 09:47 PM
When it comes to n00bz i am assured that mine and mo's shoutbox symphonies of the mind put people off.

Be they hilarious, horrifying, arousing or all of the above. There sheer, masterful intensity, like a greek man in leather pants just makes people feel insecure of themselves, how can Tali be their waifu if she is Baron mo's?
How can one enjoy 30 rock or mythbusters again, when Danhellsing enjoys it oh so much more?

these people, these are the questions.

and "DEM DORFS MAN, DEM DORFS" is the answer.

i like to think where the retarded cousins in this family, or swarve, artistic genius' depends on the day really.

BillyRay
19-Apr-2010, 09:54 PM
hell's odd rant

Clang, Maximus....THAT's how you kill a thread...

Publius
20-Apr-2010, 12:07 AM
It is also tough to get involved in many of the dead related discussion as well, as 90% of the possible topics have already been covered, and as such, talking about your ideal shelter, or the best oil to use on your pick axe, so it doesn't get lodged in a zombies skull gets sort of redundant when those ideas have been discussed to death.

True, so many of those ideas have been discussed to death, but on a site devoted to the living dead that can only be an asset. Who among us does not love beating an undead horse, hoping to finally get in that decisive blow that will crush the skull and put the beast down for good? :D

mista_mo
20-Apr-2010, 10:51 AM
True, so many of those ideas have been discussed to death, but on a site devoted to the living dead that can only be an asset. Who among us does not love beating an undead horse, hoping to finally get in that decisive blow that will crush the skull and put the beast down for good? :D

I don't think we have ever had a thread about completely silly weapons that could work on the living dead.

like...okay, we lure a large group of them into a hallway using, oh I dunno, convicted sec offenders or felons or something. Anyway, each end of the hallway has walls (duh) but one of the walls is mounted on rollers, or it is loose, and there is like, a steam roller behind it. Anyways, the wall slowly pushes the zombies into another wall, only it isn't a wall, it is a titanium chain link fence, that has been super heated to about 10,000 degrees Celsius. The zombies are pushed against it, and the super hot fence gibs them into little pieces, and all of the bits fall into this little cauldron...thing.

And about the shoutbox...Well that is what it is there for. It certainly isn't for any meaningful conversation.

i like to think where the retarded cousins in this family, or swarve, artistic genius' depends on the day really.

ain't dat da troof ya git, ain't dat da troof.

Truthfully, I had a couple of people being really condescending for a while and a month ago I put them on my ignore list and I'm having a much more pleasant experience here because of it. So it just doesn't happen to "newbies" or people who don't post that often either.

See, I've always thought that the ignore list was just silly. Everyone has shit days where they lash out, and act dickish. Really, you are just missing out when they actually say something or contribute to a discussion. I would never ever set anyone to my ignore list, even if they were complete retards, as I would hate to miss out on what they have to say. and if I am on your ignore list well...

Then I am sorry you feel that way, and I hope you have a great day

soulsyfn
20-Apr-2010, 03:14 PM
Well dude, I gotta say that what you're saying is very disturbing to me. i apologize if that's the atmosphere as you interpret it but that's not our intention. I doubt very much that if you tried to contribute to a thread in which predominantly "regulars" have posted, that anyone will say anything nasty to you.

Well I am feeling the love... :cool:

Now I just need to contribute!

darth los
20-Apr-2010, 04:03 PM
I don't think we have ever had a thread about completely silly weapons that could work on the living dead.

like...okay, we lure a large group of them into a hallway using, oh I dunno, convicted sec offenders or felons or something. Anyway, each end of the hallway has walls (duh) but one of the walls is mounted on rollers, or it is loose, and there is like, a steam roller behind it. Anyways, the wall slowly pushes the zombies into another wall, only it isn't a wall, it is a titanium chain link fence, that has been super heated to about 10,000 degrees Celsius. The zombies are pushed against it, and the super hot fence gibs them into little pieces, and all of the bits fall into this little cauldron...thing.

And about the shoutbox...Well that is what it is there for. It certainly isn't for any meaningful conversation.

ain't dat da troof ya git, ain't dat da troof.

See, I've always thought that the ignore list was just silly. Everyone has shit days where they lash out, and act dickish. Really, you are just missing out when they actually say something or contribute to a discussion. I would never ever set anyone to my ignore list, even if they were complete retards, as I would hate to miss out on what they have to say. and if I am on your ignore list well...

Then I am sorry you feel that way, and I hope you have a great day

No mo, you are not. And the people that i do are repeat offenders.

I call people like that internet gangsters. They talk alot of shit online (like the racist bastards on x box live) but in real life they're real pussy. If someone spoke to me in person they way they did i would cut their face.

But since I can't the ignore button will do just fine. :D

Danny
20-Apr-2010, 04:35 PM
No mo, you are not. And the people that i do are repeat offenders.

I call people like that internet gangsters. They talk alot of shit online (like the racist bastards on x box live) but in real life they're real pussy. If someone spoke to me in person they way they did i would cut their face.

But since I can't the ignore button will do just fine. :D

i never speak online in a way i wouldn't in real life, internet tough guy syndrome is for angry, passive aggressive douche bangs who think there, to reference a stephen king novel 'king shit of turd mountain' sad fucks who love themselves because in there heart of hearts they dont believe anyone else does.

-and i never use ignore, people can be dicks but theres only really 2 i genuinely dislike but they still have a right to there opinions, retarded as they may be y'know.

mista_mo
20-Apr-2010, 04:39 PM
-and i never use ignore, people can be dicks but theres only really 2 i genuinely dislike but they still have a right to there opinions, retarded as they may be y'know.

B-But I thought that we were servants of the Emprah :(

Also, I am pretty much the same way, though I tend to swear far more irl then I would ever like to admit tbh. I also stutter a lot, go figure eh?

Don't get me wrong, I'll break your arms, eat more pizza then you, and bang your girlfriend (maybe all at the same time) right in front of your broken, pizza stuffed body, but you gotta be classy about it you know?

darth los
20-Apr-2010, 05:27 PM

I agree wholeheartedly. But I'm a man and demand a certain respect as all men do. When they start insulting my intelligence and calling me lazy, both of which can also be contrued as ethnic stereotypes, that's where I draw the line.

I also have the right not to be talked to in an offensive matter. But to each his own.

bassman
20-Apr-2010, 05:32 PM
I think the only people I've ever had on my ignore list were later banned. So I guess I wasn't the only one with a problem...

As for you guys feeling like you can't post or "get in" with the group - I don't buy that. HPotD has been one of the most welcoming sites i've ever visited. I've seen some others that truly are a tight group and refuse to allow new members into the fray. I don't think anyone is like that around here.

We may poke fun of each other or have the occasional bickering, but it's all in good fun and everyone is conversing friendly within a few days. Just don't take any of it too seriously and you would fit right in. "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen".:p

AcesandEights
20-Apr-2010, 05:55 PM
Sometimes we can be a bit short with each other here due to our familiarity and that can sometimes bleed over to cause trouble with new comers who we (some of us, me included on occasion) can be similarly short with. I speak of policing people about board policies, running some dude off the board because he made a truly classless joke about an actual person disfigured in an accident etc. On the whole, though, we're usually pretty decent about newcomers who approach the board in an earnest let-me-get-to-know-the-community fashion (femme fatale attention-whores aside).

Then again, sometimes threads just go bad. This one was a doozy (http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=13395&highlight=Cruxdustrial&page=2), just for the weirdness factor. I still think the dude was either decomping off his meds or an especially odious troll.

Danny
20-Apr-2010, 05:57 PM
I agree wholeheartedly. But I'm a man and demand a certain respect as all men do.

see that where we differ, i dislike the idea of "being a man" or age denoting immediate, measurable respect. to me respect is earned, not given, not saying anyones right to be a dick, but when people are meeting you for the first time, even online they dont know you or owe you anything.

darth los
20-Apr-2010, 06:02 PM
see that where we differ, i dislike the idea of "being a man" or age denoting immediate, measurable respect. to me respect is earned, not given, not saying anyones right to be a dick, but when people are meeting you for the first time, even online they dont know you or owe you anything.

I agree that we agree to differ.

See guys? Hells and I aren't exactly "getting along" right now but we'll get past it and discussing video games in no time. :D

mista_mo
20-Apr-2010, 07:00 PM
This just in:

I am better at Left 4 Dead 2 then Darth is. You heard it here first folks.

Just...believe me, and don't ask for proof, aight?

darth los
20-Apr-2010, 07:13 PM
This just in:

I am better at Left 4 Dead 2 then Darth is. You heard it here first folks.

Just...believe me, and don't ask for proof, aight?

Very clever mo. You're trying to bait me into something that will actually make me answer one of your posts, but it's not going...to...

Oh, forget it !

mista_mo
20-Apr-2010, 07:18 PM
Very clever mo. You're trying to bait me into something that will ACTUALLY MAKE ME ANSWER ONE OF YOUR POSTS, but it's not going...to...

Oh, forget it !

Now, what is THIS supposed to mean old man?

clanglee
20-Apr-2010, 08:10 PM
Then again, sometimes threads just go bad. This one was a doozy (http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=13395&highlight=Cruxdustrial&page=2), just for the weirdness factor. I still think the dude was either decomping off his meds or an especially odious troll.

http://www.hookah-shisha.com/store/pc/catalog/Good_Times.jpg

ProfessorChaos
20-Apr-2010, 08:14 PM
...newcomers who approach the board in an earnest let-me-get-to-know-the-community fashion (femme fatale attention-whores aside).

could you be speaking of you-know-who?:o

ah, thanks for reminding me of that one. i was wondering which thread i'd posted the image of a crucified cartman in (just cuz a fella likes land).....:lol:

glad to see some increased activity on the boards lately...things were starting to get pretty quiet. still noting the absence of some former frequent posters...(mike70 and strayrider come to mind)

darth los
20-Apr-2010, 08:25 PM
could you be speaking of you-know-who?:o

LOD? (No, not legion of doom :p )

AcesandEights
20-Apr-2010, 08:34 PM
LOD? (No, not legion of doom :p )

I'll not willfully impinge on the good (or questionable for that matter) name of a fellow forumite (today, anyway)! :D

mista_mo
20-Apr-2010, 08:37 PM
Oh, you guys are talking about the Mullet of darkness.

darth los
20-Apr-2010, 08:43 PM
Oh, you guys are talking about the Mullet of darkness.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Laugh of the day dude and spot on.

AcesandEights
20-Apr-2010, 08:54 PM
But bringing the thread back around to the topic, and--at the same time--not trying to scare off newer or lurking members, I'll reiterate I think these are the exceptions to the general rule and more indicative of the few people who come here to post with alternate motives, letting their personal drama become the focal point or who bring with them a bad attitude and that's never a good way to make a first impression.

DeadJonas190
21-Apr-2010, 08:35 AM
I used to post a lot a few years ago, however, a lot of people I enjoyed talking with left for various reasons and then there was an influx of ignorance for a little while which made me come here less. Lately I have just been busy with life outside of the internet. I see there are still a lot of the people I remember, so thats pretty cool. Hopefully I will be able to post more, I miss this place.

childofgilead
21-Apr-2010, 09:52 AM
I wasn't trying to insinuate that I felt unwelcome or was afraid of posting because it's a tight knit group, it's just that honestly, I don't know many people around here like I used to, you buncha younguns that came on in the mid '00s are all new to me..not that it's a bad thing mind you.

I was usually here just to talk about writing and undead fiction, when that part of the site was sort of pushed to the side, I decided to just go my separate way and check back every few months.

I wasn't trying to say that I didn't feel welcome.

Mike70
22-Apr-2010, 12:36 PM
some of us get bored and simply fade away, something i am in the process of doing.

i've changed a whole bunch in the last year and i find that i have zero interest left in zombies and zero interest left in a hack like romero.

it's garbage that i am coming to regret wasting my time on.

see ya.

bassman
22-Apr-2010, 01:04 PM
You don't have to go because Romero's a hack, mike. Stay for us!

one of us! one of us!:p

darth los
22-Apr-2010, 03:12 PM
some of us get bored and simply fade away, something i am in the process of doing.

i've changed a whole bunch in the last year and i find that i have zero interest left in zombies and zero interest left in a hack like romero.

see ya.

Damn mike. Well, good luck and be safe.

AcesandEights
22-Apr-2010, 03:37 PM
one of us! one of us!:p

Yeah, Mike. I'm afraid you're not allowed to flirt with entry into our ranks and then just spurn us like that.

http://dcairns.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/vlcsnap-360756.png?w=450&h=337

But at least stay in touch from time to time if worse comes to worse; drop in and remind the general forum-goers of their penchant for keyboard masturbation! :D

mista_mo
22-Apr-2010, 03:50 PM

see ya.

Mike,

I shall eat several additional baconaters a week in your memory.

darth los
22-Apr-2010, 04:15 PM
Yeah, Mike. I'm afraid you're not allowed to flirt with entry into our ranks and then just spurn us like that.

http://dcairns.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/vlcsnap-360756.png?w=450&h=337

But at least stay in touch from time to time if worse comes to worse; drop in and remind the general forum-goers of their penchant for keyboard masturbation! :D

That saying is awesome. I use it here all the time.

Well, atleast he left us something to remember him by.

ProfessorChaos
22-Apr-2010, 04:53 PM

see ya.

harsh much? wow, mike was one of the regulars i'd noticed hadn't been around much lately, but i really wasn't expecting that.

whatever floats your boat mike....good luck and you're always welcome around here in my book.

Trin
22-Apr-2010, 05:00 PM
I'm one of those who rarely checks anything except the Dead Discussion areas. I basically come here to talk about the GAR Dead movies, and other movies in the same basic genre. The discussion here is generally very polite and thoughtful. That's why I keep coming back.

I've also thought I was a thread killer at times. Several times I've thrown out a post that I figured would likely spark controversy only to have the thread die on it. Just as many times, though, a thread will seem to die off then get picked back up with someone agreeeing and saying, "How did I miss this?" So you kinda have to stick with it.

I can empathize with the people who get turned off because every topic or idea is instantly met with a barrage of, "We've already discussed this... here's the 14 related threads." I know that personally I've started at least a couple threads where the first poster did eye rolls over the topic. One even posted, "Here we go again..." as their only response. Those topics still turned into good discussions. You just gotta roll that stuff off. But then, I will gladly explore a topic 10 different times to tease out new ideas or perspectives. You might say I like beating the 'Dead' horse.

So my suggestion to new people is - jump in, state your mind, don't be a dick, stick with it.

AcesandEights
22-Apr-2010, 05:12 PM
"We've already discussed this... here's the 14 related threads."

Hey, I post links to related threads for people, as I think it's:

A) Helpful to round up previous information/opinions
B) Helpful if it highlights a contrasting frame of reference/previously arrived at consensus, especially if it's different from what has been posted or indicative of somethings that changed over time.
C) Useful to remind people they have such a thing as a search function at their disposal, especially as so many posts are "I was wondering if any one has ever discussed/given thought to ______ before."
D) Entertaining due to info/idiosyncratic bullshit in the older post(s)
E) Easier than typing out something I already feel I've worded a proper response to correctly and clearly. This is especially helpful for discussions that have had negative responses grow up around them in the past and are, therefore, the sort of things have I little patience for rehashing.

I'll link to this post too some day when this topic comes up again :D

ProfessorChaos
22-Apr-2010, 05:12 PM
I know that personally I've started at least a couple threads where the first poster did eye rolls over the topic...

*cough*bassman*cough*search nazi*cough*

j/k bass...

bassman
22-Apr-2010, 05:14 PM
Search is there for a reason, that's all I'm saying. :lol:

darth los
22-Apr-2010, 05:40 PM
*cough*bassman*cough*search nazi*cough*

j/k bass...

Search is there for a reason, that's all I'm saying. :lol:

He does seem to be on top of that doesn't he? :lol:

But yes bassman it's there for a reason.

However, and it has been done to me as well, when you do use the search thread feature you are tagged with thread necromancy. So it's really a no win situation.

Andy
22-Apr-2010, 05:58 PM
However, and it has been done to me as well, when you do use the search thread feature you are tagged with thread necromancy. So it's really a no win situation.

Let me just clear up 'thread necromancy' for people who dont get what it is, its when you pick up a topic which has dropped off the page (at least over a month old but usually much older) and add a post which brings nothing new to the topic. For example posting "i agree" on a topic which hasnt had a reply in 3 months.

Its done to boost your postcount and something were we would close the topic and warn the person, however adding something new and interesting to a old thread is fine.

Terran
22-Apr-2010, 06:46 PM
Damn those thread necrophiliacs!

Trin
22-Apr-2010, 07:27 PM
Hey, I post links to related threads for people,
I think there's a difference between saying, "Hey there's some other threads out there with some pertinent thoughts on this," (what you do Aces) versus, "If you'd been here 5 years ago following along like you should've been you wouldn't be posting this nonsense." And newer forum members *probably* interpret anything pointing out older threads as the latter.

I think everyone has that special topic that makes their eyes roll when they see it crop up again, so it's hard to be gentle when a new forum member dredges it up, but it's probably worth keeping perspective in mind when posting the eye roll.

I don't know much about thread necromancy. I have never posted with post count in mind, nor do I keep track of post count. But I will say I find it odd that posting "I agree" to an old thread is thread necromancy when posting the same sort of thing to current threads is fine. I know at times I've found old threads that I missed along the way and added my thoughts. Of course, being me, I could never stop at just "I agree" even if that's substantively what I thought. lol

clanglee
22-Apr-2010, 10:48 PM

see ya.

Hey I have noticed you reduce posts. . . .that's a shame Mike. You think I am here mostly for Romero stuff? I hardly ever post on the zombie related forums now. . . .come on back Mike. . . . .we have cake!!

DjfunkmasterG
22-Apr-2010, 11:28 PM
I am starting to think people are leaving because Lou, MZ and I really know how to douche up a thread. :D

clanglee
23-Apr-2010, 12:40 AM
I think there's a difference between saying, "Hey there's some other threads out there with some pertinent thoughts on this," (what you do Aces) versus, "If you'd been here 5 years ago following along like you should've been you wouldn't be posting this nonsense." And newer forum members *probably* interpret anything pointing out older threads as the latter.

I think everyone has that special topic that makes their eyes roll when they see it crop up again, so it's hard to be gentle when a new forum member dredges it up, but it's probably worth keeping perspective in mind when posting the eye roll.

I don't know much about thread necromancy. I have never posted with post count in mind, nor do I keep track of post count. But I will say I find it odd that posting "I agree" to an old thread is thread necromancy when posting the same sort of thing to current threads is fine. I know at times I've found old threads that I missed along the way and added my thoughts. Of course, being me, I could never stop at just "I agree" even if that's substantively what I thought. lol

I have been guilty of the :rolleyes: myself from time to time. Usually when the Land vs Dawn '04 debate begins to crop back up. :o

Mr.G
23-Apr-2010, 01:27 AM
I've been 'officially' a member for a year but lurked much longer. IMO it was difficult to find someone who would disucuss zombie movies much less enjoy them like you fine folks.

I might not post a lot but I really enjoy popping online and seeing what they hell is up on this site.

deadpunk
27-Apr-2010, 05:56 AM

That was the first good laugh I've had in months :lol:

childofgilead
28-Apr-2010, 06:18 AM
I know, right?

Leo
28-Apr-2010, 06:05 PM
I've been visiting this site since 2001 and i registered like 3 years ago, but every time I start to get into the site I get caught up in something else and then a long time passes between when i come here.

bassman
28-Apr-2010, 06:12 PM
Stick around. You know you want to.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3004/3070133859_1457838136.jpg

Andy
28-Apr-2010, 10:15 PM

Wait a second ive just caught that.. wasnt adrenochromes name tom martin?

Adrenochrome
01-May-2010, 08:09 PM
Wait a second ive just caught that.. wasnt adrenochromes name tom martin?

Yes. But so is Grimm. We are NOT the same.

Exatreides
01-May-2010, 08:40 PM
Thank god.

acealive1
02-May-2010, 06:00 AM
some of us just get busy with life, get bored here because of the low activity and or get tired of some of the flame wars that used to go on here. me myself, i've just been busy working and living it up with my lady friend

Danny
02-May-2010, 06:34 AM

wait, what?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/WAT.jpg

WAIT, WHAT?

clanglee
06-May-2010, 03:57 AM
ummmm. . . Tom Martin? anyone gonna explain this whole Tom MARTIN THING?

MikePizzoff
06-May-2010, 07:36 AM

Holy shit... it's Andreno...

MoonSylver
17-Aug-2010, 04:03 AM
Threadus RESURRECTUS!!!

Considering some of the stuff that apparently has gone down while I was gone, and just the fact I WAS gone for a while, this seemed like a timely thread to bring back.

In my case, had some major computer issues at the first of the year, had to get a new system, which lead to a deep hatred & loathing of all things internet for a good long while.

Also came down with a major case of "I-don't-give-a-fuck-a-titus". Got to feeling like anything I posted anywhere on line didn't really matter as no one gives a fuck about my opinion, and conversely, no one else's opinion matters to me, so why bother?

Turning 40 made me start re-evaluating my priorities & lifestyle as well.

Work has MAJORLY picked up too, & will stay this way for.....?

Weird thing is, don't know what made me decide to come back...:confused:

(Come to think of it, I am on "vacation" this week while Her Majesty is at a conference, so if I disappear again you'll know I've "relapsed")

AcesandEights
17-Aug-2010, 02:24 PM
Threadus RESURRECTUS!!!

Considering some of the stuff that apparently has gone down while I was gone, and just the fact I WAS gone for a while, this seemed like a timely thread to bring back.

In my case, had some major computer issues at the first of the year, had to get a new system, which lead to a deep hatred & loathing of all things internet for a good long while.

Also came down with a major case of "I-don't-give-a-fuck-a-titus". Got to feeling like anything I posted anywhere on line didn't really matter as no one gives a fuck about my opinion, and conversely, no one else's opinion matters to me, so why bother?

Turning 40 made me start re-evaluating my priorities & lifestyle as well.

Work has MAJORLY picked up too, & will stay this way for.....?

(Come to think of it, I am on "vacation" this week while Her Majesty is at a conference, so if I disappear again you'll know I've "relapsed")

All I got out of this post was that there was a moment of profound mental and emotional weakness wherein my posts apparently didn't mean anything to you.

Yes, I'm that self-centered! :moon:

Ahem...

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/DougOBrien/MoonPost.png

Told you I'm self-centered! :D

In any event, welcome back, Moon. The day to day detritus of life can certainly build up on us all, but hopefully you'll stop in when you can!

darth los
17-Aug-2010, 03:04 PM
Welcome back dude. However long you stay you know your always welcome and yeah, we'll be here. :D

MoonSylver
17-Aug-2010, 03:37 PM
All I got out of this post was that there was a moment of profound mental and emotional weakness wherein my posts apparently didn't mean anything to you.

Yes, I'm that self-centered! :moon:

Ahem...

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/DougOBrien/MoonPost.png

Told you I'm self-centered! :D

In any event, welcome back, Moon. The day to day detritus of life can certainly build up on us all, but hopefully you'll stop in when you can!

If I'd known all my life that voice in my head was you we could have worked up one hell of a stage act.:shifty:

Yojimbo
17-Aug-2010, 08:01 PM
Threadus RESURRECTUS!!!

Dude, my telepathic messages to you to come home worked, obviously!:lol:

Glad to see you again, brother!

MikePizzoff
19-Aug-2010, 02:14 AM
I posted this in the shoutbox but I figured I'd get more responses in this thread...

Anyone know what Liam and ChicFreak have been up to?

AcesandEights
19-Aug-2010, 02:41 AM
I posted this in the shoutbox but I figured I'd get more responses in this thread...

Talk about quality people! They still stop in and post from time to time, Chic more than Liam. It'd be great to see more of them.

mista_mo
21-Aug-2010, 02:57 AM
They've all run away from me.

Yojimbo
22-Aug-2010, 06:09 PM
Talk about quality people! They still stop in and post from time to time, Chic more than Liam. It'd be great to see more of them.

Chic and Liam are among the few posters here that I think are extremely good folks!

You get to the point here where you get accustomed to seeing folks around on a frequent basis, so when they drop away for whatever reason you start to miss these folks even though you never met face to face.

Chic Freak
24-Aug-2010, 08:10 PM

Chic and Liam are among the few posters here that I think are extremely good folks!

You get to the point here where you get accustomed to seeing folks around on a frequent basis, so when they drop away for whatever reason you start to miss these folks even though you never met face to face.

Naww!! :kiss:

I didn't post for a while just through being ultra-busy and travelling a lot (I work most during the summer, sometimes for a couple of weeks at a time without a day off. I'll prbably be on here 24/7 in January :p).

I think Liam has migrated forum-wise to his Doctor Who forum (it's called the Leisure Hive) but you can always keep in contact with him through his Facebook profile (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?id=743872262&pid=5107375#!/profile.php?id=723532820&v=wall) :)

DjfunkmasterG
08-Sep-2010, 01:56 AM
What happened to the other 97% of people that are supposedly members here?

They became alcoholics who decided it was better to drink themselves to death than bare another shitty Romero movie. :lol:

Sorry i couldn't resist putting this comment in... believe me I tried but the guy in the red suit with horns sitting on my shoulder said DO IT! :evil:

bassman
08-Sep-2010, 02:00 AM
They became alcoholics who decided it was better to drink themselves to death than bare another shitty Romero movie. :lol:

Two movies ago I would've argued this with you. But I think the most recent is the final nail in the coffin. :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
08-Sep-2010, 02:02 AM
Two movies ago I would've argued this with you. But I think the most recent is the final nail in the coffin. :lol:

Hey, i haven't gave up on the old man yet... he is 3-3 as far as I am concerned.

Some of even baseball's greatest don't have that kind of average, however in terms of movie making... that is piss poor.

MoonSylver
08-Sep-2010, 06:22 AM
Hey, i haven't gave up on the old man yet... he is 3-3 as far as I am concerned.

Some of even baseball's greatest don't have that kind of average, however in terms of movie making... that is piss poor.

Average out his whole career & not just the zombie movies, & that average should go WAAYYY up IMO.

Martin?
The Crazies?
Knightriders?
Knightriders?
Knightriders? (yes that movie is so great I added it three times...)
Creepshow?

Thing about directors is...I've started thinking it really is a young mans game. Any art in general even perhaps.

I've been racking my brain trying to think of ANY director who really sustained that fierce, burning hunger & passion that made them great in the beginning of their career, & I just can't do it.

All of the examples I could think of still managed to make good movies, maybe even the occassional great movie, but there's something raw & primitive about that young, lean hunger that seems harder for them to tap into.

DjfunkmasterG
08-Sep-2010, 10:18 AM
Average out his whole career & not just the zombie movies, & that average should go WAAYYY up IMO.

Martin?
The Crazies?
Knightriders?
Knightriders?
Knightriders? (yes that movie is so great I added it three times...)
Creepshow?

Thing about directors is...I've started thinking it really is a young mans game. Any art in general even perhaps.

I've been racking my brain trying to think of ANY director who really sustained that fierce, burning hunger & passion that made them great in the beginning of their career, & I just can't do it.

All of the examples I could think of still managed to make good movies, maybe even the occassional great movie, but there's something raw & primitive about that young, lean hunger that seems harder for them to tap into.

I disagree... about it being a young mans game... Ridley Scott is in his 60's I believe, maybe even 70. Richard Donner... same deal, Spielberg, when doesn't have indy ducking in a lead line fridge, Hell even Tony Scott churns out some good films and he is up there too.

Quite a few old farts in the game still making A-list entertainment.

clanglee
08-Sep-2010, 10:36 AM
I disagree... about it being a young mans game... Ridley Scott is in his 60's I believe, maybe even 70. Richard Donner... same deal, Spielberg, when doesn't have indy ducking in a lead line fridge, Hell even Tony Scott churns out some good films and he is up there too.

Yeah but Ridley Scott, while still making decent movies can't quite get too the level of Blade Runner or Alien. Donner. . .meh. . . . .Speilburg I'll give you. . his films don't have the energy they used to have, but he has definitely grown up as a film maker. Maybe that's the problem. . these guys lose a lot of their young passion and energy and imagination. . and trade it in for wisdom and technical wherewithal and greater storytelling ability. I dunno.

bassman
08-Sep-2010, 12:00 PM
Two words. Clint. Eastwood.

MikePizzoff
08-Sep-2010, 12:15 PM

Here here! I second that motion!

DjfunkmasterG
08-Sep-2010, 01:45 PM

BINGO! Can't believe I didn't drop Clint's name

*bad DJ bad, swats self with rolled up newspaper on nose*

AcesandEights
08-Sep-2010, 01:52 PM

You really think so? I think he's someone who grew into his artistic side through close contact with the business and getting the leverage to exercise his talents and grow them over time and not a good example of someone who started out a great creative artist and sustained that fire of creativity over time.

Know what I mean?

MikePizzoff
08-Sep-2010, 01:55 PM
You really think so? I think he's someone who grew into his artistic side through close contact with the business and getting the leverage to exercise his talents and grow them over time and not a good example of someone who started out a great creative artist and sustained that fire of creativity over time.

Know what I mean?

I think his point was more in the area of directing not entirely being a young man's game these days.

AcesandEights
08-Sep-2010, 02:01 PM
Okay, I was taking in the context of what Moon specifically said: "ANY director who really sustained that fierce, burning hunger & passion that made them great in the beginning of their career..."

MikePizzoff
08-Sep-2010, 02:08 PM
Okay, I was taking in the context of what Moon specifically said: "ANY director who really sustained that fierce, burning hunger & passion that made them great in the beginning of their career..."

Well, in that case, what about Play Misty For Me? High Plains Drifter? His first two directorial films and they're both killer.

AcesandEights
08-Sep-2010, 02:15 PM
Well, in that case, what about Play Misty For Me? High Plains Drifter? His first two directorial films and they're both killer.

I'm not saying that Clint Eastwood is not or hasn't been a good, or even great, director, but I don't think he fits the criteria of someone who was a great director in their youth and maintained it throughout a directorial career. That's all. I don't think of him as being a talented & prominent director during his 20s or 30s. It's something he blossomed into in the latter half of a very long career in film in general.

I just think it's an invalid comparison for what Moon was talking about, that's all.

MikePizzoff
08-Sep-2010, 02:18 PM
I'm not saying that Clint Eastwood is not or hasn't been a good, or even great, director, but I don't think he fits the criteria of someone who was a great director in their youth and maintained it throughout a directorial career. That's all. I don't think of him as being a talented & prominent director during his 20s or 30s. It's something he blossomed into in the latter half of a very long career in film in general.

I just think it's an invalid comparison for what Moon was talking about, that's all.

Okay, I get what you're saying. I always forget how old he is. I mean he was FOURTY ONE when he made Play Misty For Me in 1971!!! I always think of him as being in his 20's when that was made.

bassman
08-Sep-2010, 02:19 PM
Okay....fair enough. Although I do think Clint has been a great director from the start. Drifter is one of my favorites.

Scorsese work for ya?:p

MoonSylver
08-Sep-2010, 02:21 PM

Not saying all of the above & more (like Scorsese for example) aren't still making decent movies, just that I don't know if the output in the latter days of their carreers can match any of the films that made them when they were fresh out of the gate.

Yeah but Ridley Scott, while still making decent movies can't quite get too the level of Blade Runner or Alien. Donner. . .meh. . . . .Speilburg I'll give you. . his films don't have the energy they used to have, but he has definitely grown up as a film maker. Maybe that's the problem. . these guys lose a lot of their young passion and energy and imagination. . and trade it in for wisdom and technical wherewithal and greater storytelling ability. I dunno.

Exactly.

Mmmm...yeah...Clint probably would be the exception. I wonder if that would have anything do with that other than a few films here & there he concetrated more on his acting career earlier in life & didn't settle in more of a directing role until later? Plus a lot of the movies he's been making for a while have been smaller, quieter, character driven type things, which actually probably benifit from the wisdom of years & a more mature ponit of view.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking on older filmmakers (trust me, other than maybe a Fincher or Nolan I'm having a hard time coming up with many names of younger guys whose work thrills me either).

I just am having a hard time thinking of any that have made movies spanning a lifetime that I felt were consistant across that lifetime. All the names I could come up with seemed (IMO) to have done their best work early, peaked at some point, & may have worked (or be working) consistantly through out, but their latter work just wasn't (isn't) as exciting to me.

Which (to bring it back full circle) is the point I was trying to make re:GAR.

darth los
08-Sep-2010, 03:57 PM
GAr is like Orson Wells.

Both Hit their professional peaks very early in their careers and never really came close after that.

Debbieangel
08-Sep-2010, 11:30 PM
Clint directed "Gran Torino" in 2008 if u didnt see that movie u sure missed a good one!!!

How has everyone been doing? I hope all is well with you guys?
Yes, I am back!! I never said I was leaving for good, just needed a break!
It's been a long long Summer!!!

darth los
09-Sep-2010, 04:01 PM
Back from the dead.

Noice!

Good to have you back homie.