PDA

View Full Version : battle of the dawns

ngm231
04-Jun-2006, 09:11 AM
in your opinion which is better dawn of the dead 78 european version or dawn of the dead78 american version?

Doc Foster
04-Jun-2006, 09:31 AM
Although I could be in the minority with this opinion, I'll always prefer the Argento cut. :elol:

Adrenochrome
04-Jun-2006, 11:24 AM
definitley, the American cut

MinionZombie
04-Jun-2006, 12:54 PM
Out of those two, GAR's theatrical ... however out of all the cuts, I choose the "Extended Cut". It was the first I saw and the one I've seen most, while the Argento cut was interesting, it just wasn't that good. Extended Cut all the way for me baby.

Eyebiter
04-Jun-2006, 01:09 PM
I'd also vote for the 137 minutes Directors Cut

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:eoYXt-0yhnQFdM:www.cinemablend.com/images/reviews/79/main.jpg

DjfunkmasterG
04-Jun-2006, 01:19 PM
127 Minute theatrical

axlish
04-Jun-2006, 02:25 PM
I added a poll, and I voted for the 137

MinionZombie
04-Jun-2006, 02:26 PM
Wooo! Extended Cut all the way baby! The added depth that version gives the viewer just makes the film even better.

general tbag
04-Jun-2006, 03:14 PM
why the extra footage in the german cut, what was in it.

DjfunkmasterG
04-Jun-2006, 03:24 PM
you forgot the 1983 R-Rated cut. The edit they did to 2nd bill DAWN in Drive-Ins with Creepshow. :D

AssassinFromHell
04-Jun-2006, 04:25 PM
For a second, I thought by the title, the duel would be over the original and remake. I was prepared to dig trenches and yell "duck and cover!" :D

US Theatrical here...cuz it's the only one I've seen. I still have yet to get the Ultimate Edition.

MinionZombie
04-Jun-2006, 05:35 PM
The Extended Cut is different to the German Cut (just in case you were mixing my answer up?), anyway, the longest cut - the German cut - is basically the Extended Cut combined with the additional footage the Argento (European) Cut offers.

Apparently only German language bootlegs are available for it, at least that's what I heard.

Doc Foster
04-Jun-2006, 06:19 PM
The Extended Cut is different to the German Cut (just in case you were mixing my answer up?), anyway, the longest cut - the German cut - is basically the Extended Cut combined with the additional footage the Argento (European) Cut offers.

Apparently only German language bootlegs are available for it, at least that's what I heard.

Not really bootlegs, it's sort of a "semi-official" (but definitely not licensed or authorized) release - don't ask me how on earth these people can put this stuff out on DVD and get away with it. Either way, the guy who composed the so-called "Ultimate Final Cut" obviously is a great "Dawn" fan and put a lot of work into it, but at the end of the day, his version didn't do the film much of a favour. The "UFC" does NOT qualify as an "official" cut!!

axlish
04-Jun-2006, 07:18 PM
The "UFC" does NOT qualify as an "official" cut!!

I agree, it's gone.

zombie04
04-Jun-2006, 08:06 PM
I like both the theatrical 126 and extended 136. I voted for the theatrical though. Although the extended does give you a little more, I think the soundtrack for the theatrical was better.

jdog
05-Jun-2006, 05:33 AM
extended all the way. the extra dock scene is awsome.

livingdead7
05-Jun-2006, 05:36 AM
American Theatrical has always been my fav.

Danny
05-Jun-2006, 05:47 AM
the theatrical allways holds a dear place in my movie going memories.

Doc Foster
05-Jun-2006, 09:44 AM
Although I could be in the minority with this opinion, I'll always prefer the Argento cut. :elol:

See? I knew it... :D

May I ask you what exactly the 128-minute "Hybrid Cut" from Anchor Bay is??

Philly_SWAT
05-Jun-2006, 11:39 AM
May I ask you what exactly the 128-minute "Hybrid Cut" from Anchor Bay is??
They tried to add some parts of the extended cut to the theatrical, but did a poor job. The dock scene was cut to where it makes no sense.

Doc Foster
05-Jun-2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the info, Philly SWAT. I used to think I'd know every single version of "Dawn", but that one seems to have escaped me.

Griff
05-Jun-2006, 02:44 PM
I forgot about the 'hybrid cut'. Didn't Anchor Bay, accidental or otherwise, use the second reel from the extended version instead of the theatrical version? I'm pretty sure that apart from the differences contained in that particular reel, everything else was exactly as the theatrical cut is.

Anyway, although I voted for the US theatrical cut because its just so finely tuned, I'd sacrifice it if I was strangely forced to just to retain the added (...I wouldn't say 'depth', but rather...) detail of the Cannes and Argento versions. Afterall, other than audio cues, there's nothing in the theatrical cut that's not also in those two.

Plus, there's a wide shot in the Cannes and Argento versions of Blades and gang beating up on the zombies that I really dig.

The "UFC" does NOT qualify as an "official" cut!!

I agree, it's gone.

I don't consider the 'hybrid cut' to be official, either, but its still interesting to see how its regarded, I guess.

axlish
05-Jun-2006, 05:04 PM
I don't consider the 'hybrid cut' to be official, either, but its still interesting to see how its regarded, I guess.

It is official in the sence that it was released legally and officially licensed. I never really thought about them simply using the 2nd reel but now that seems likely.