PDA

View Full Version : Deej & lou movie commentary thread - pick the movie

DjfunkmasterG
21-Apr-2010, 09:24 PM
It started as a simple list of things we hated about Halloween 2007, then idea came to be that LouCipherr and I should do another list... it seems everyone found our listing quite amusing.

Anyway, I suggested instead of a list we record a commentary that can be played back with the film and let you the viewer hear in real time why we hate or love a particular film.

So we came up with a few ideas for the next project. Above you will find a poll with a list of movies that LOU and I will do a commentary track for. No guarantee with whatever films wins that the commentary will be positive, but no guarantee it will be negative... I guess it is just another way for you guys to hear us rant and rave about horror flicks.

So vote for the film to get the bashing/praise... and on May 7th or 8th Lou and I will get together and record the track.

major jay
21-Apr-2010, 10:32 PM
Nice idea. I voted for LAND. If I remember correctly you were on the set while they were filming?

MinionZombie
22-Apr-2010, 10:13 AM
I voted Tremors - I'd really like to hear a LOVE commentary for that movie, especially as its jam-packed with awesome dialogue (including Bacon's glorious "fuuuuuuuuuuck you!").

Second choice would be Land of the Dead - even though I really dig that flick, it'd get all your bitchings about it in one place, kinda like I did with my Yawn04 Bitch List back in the day.

But yeah - Tremors LOVE commentary please! :)

DjfunkmasterG
22-Apr-2010, 11:02 AM
I was talking to Lou last night and said I hope Tremors wins as I would like to do a love commentary, since we just did a bitch list. Then alternate... next film with the most votes will then get a commentary and so far LAND has 2 votes so it would be the next movie we slosh about.

However, Tremors... that will be a much loved commentary. I am a huge Tremors fan.

MinionZombie
22-Apr-2010, 12:35 PM
*high five* for Tremors love. I recently got the TV series on DVD (fun times) and so I simply had to re-watch all four movies again, so yeah - mega Tremors fan right here too. :cool:

*fingers crossed for a Tremors 5*

DjfunkmasterG
22-Apr-2010, 12:39 PM
There is a 5th movie coming out.

TREMORS 5: The Thunder from Down Under

supposedly takes place in Austrailia.

LouCipherr
22-Apr-2010, 12:54 PM
I voted Tremors - I'd really like to hear a LOVE commentary for that movie, especially as its jam-packed with awesome dialogue (including Bacon's glorious "fuuuuuuuuuuck you!").

Best Kevin Bacon line EVER. :lol:

I would LOVE to do a commentary for Tremors. Not only is there a ton of quotable lines in that flick, but it's a great ride and still my favorite Bacon film. (mmmmm.... Bacon. :p).

I voted for Tremors too, but I have to admit, it was a hard choice. I love me some original NOES, and I love Haunted Hill (Rush was awesome in that flick.. "I'm Stephen goddamn Price!" speaking of which, another remake that might be better than the original?!) and as much as I want to rip a few of those movies to shreds, I have to agree with Deej that since we've already done a hate list for Halloween, perhaps the first commentary should be a love-fest flick.

Bubba Ho-Tep would be a funny and fun one to do too.

We'll see. It's up to you guys. :)

MinionZombie
22-Apr-2010, 04:29 PM
There is a 5th movie coming out.

TREMORS 5: The Thunder from Down Under

supposedly takes place in Austrailia.
Aye I know, but last I read it wasn't set in stone. They've been trying to get Tremors 5 made for years, 2008 saw renewed interest, but it sank under again, and then - last I heard - around September last year they got going with it again perhaps, and that apparently Universal put the TV series out on DVD (at last) last month to test the market (and considering that the series came out in 2003, it's been a long-ass wait for that DVD).

So what I meant really, was I hope they do do a Tremors 5. Hopefully it comes to fruition, not just a lot of talk - damnit, I want me some more Burt Gummer! :D

Trin
22-Apr-2010, 07:37 PM
So is this like a serious commentary? Or an MST3K thing?

bassman
22-Apr-2010, 07:42 PM

Both apparently.

It's one thing to make a funny track where you're pointing out flaws to a film you dislike, but a "good" track by a couple of random joes? I dont get it either.:confused:

AcesandEights
22-Apr-2010, 07:44 PM

Good point! I don't see you guys sitting down with glasses of port and sherry to discuss the finer points of...Tremors, so I assume this is a more farcical MST3K sort of thing.

And I know you're not thinking of coming up with a 'bitch list' on Aliens... :blood:

LouCipherr
22-Apr-2010, 07:49 PM
It's one thing to make a funny track where you're pointing out flaws to a film you dislike, but a "good" track by a couple of random joes? I dont get it either.:confused:

What, you don't have a sense of humor and like to have some fun? :p

It's just a fun thing Dj and I want to do. We're not going to MST3K the film, we're going to talk about our likes or dislikes about it and maybe get into some movie tech talk if the conversation goes there. Perhaps bring up some trivia or something and crack some jokes and laugh along with the flick. We're not quite sure yet, but we certianly will not be adding lines to the movie or talking over it to change lines of dialogue like the MST3K guys did - we just love movies and want to talk about them and figured our stupid sense of humor would be entertaining to those adventurous (or crazy) enough to listen to it.

No one's forcing anyone to listen... and now that I think about it, no one bitched when Kevin Smith did a commentary for Spaced for the US release. I realize he's more 'popular' than we are, but c'mon, this could turn out to be fun if it works out. If not, we'll abandon the idea and you guys can make fun of us for a failed attempt at being funny. I'm sure you'd get a kick out of that. :p

And I know you're not thinking of coming up with a 'bitch list' on Aliens... :blood:

That would be impossible for 2 reasons:

1) the movie rocked nuts
2) it's got Bill "WHY DON'T YOU PUT HER IN CHARGE?!" Paxton in it!

:lol:

bassman
22-Apr-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm not trying to hate on you guys' plan, but I just don't get the "good" commentary. What could you bring to the table? You weren't attached to the project, so basically you would just be saying that you like the film over and over again.

It would be a bunch of "I like this part". "This is cool". "I like that"."yo, these are some good cheese fries".:p

LouCipherr
22-Apr-2010, 07:57 PM
No worries bassman, I get what you're saying.

There will be some of that too, yes, but have you ever checked out any of our WNWR podcasts? Gary has a wicked sense of humor when in the right mindset, and we riff off each other once one of us gets started.

Believe me, even in flicks we love there will be some things we can point out (flaws) and make fun of them, but this will basically be like sitting down with us, having a few beers (or whatever your poison is) and listening to a stream-of-conscienceness conversation about the movie and things related to it. ;)

Like I said, could be fun and turn out great, could be a disaster and you guys have something to rag on us for a few years about. Either way, it's a win-win situation for everyone but us! :lol:

Dammit, Deej - y'know what movies are missing from this list? I Am Zombie Man 1, 2, and TIDoZM! :elol:

DjfunkmasterG
22-Apr-2010, 08:48 PM
Well Bassman does have a point in that I had absolutely nothing to do with TREMORS... HOWEVER, I was in LAND of the DEAD so I can comment on some of the shit I witnessed while on set, but I would probably forget to mention it due to all the fucking bitching I would be doing about what a shitty movie it really is and will always be.

Trin
23-Apr-2010, 01:42 AM
It's just a fun thing Dj and I want to do. We're not going to MST3K the film, we're going to talk about our likes or dislikes about it and maybe get into some movie tech talk if the conversation goes there. Perhaps bring up some trivia or something and crack some jokes and laugh along with the flick. We're not quite sure yet, but we certianly will not be adding lines to the movie or talking over it to change lines of dialogue like the MST3K guys did - we just love movies and want to talk about them and figured our stupid sense of humor would be entertaining to those adventurous (or crazy) enough to listen to it.
I'm not looking to try to tell you what to do. I'm just trying to get enough info to cast my vote. You know? Like a Tremors MST3K thing might be riproaring funny because there's not too much to pick apart, but there's tons of funny little additions you can make. But if you're gonna do more of a like/dislike/gripey/observation thing, then Land would probably be better, especially with Deej's ranting nature over Land.

...you guys can make fun of us for a failed attempt at being funny. I'm sure you'd get a kick out of that. :p
You've probably crossed the line where that's gonna happen no matter what you do. *shrugs shoulders*

MinionZombie
23-Apr-2010, 10:08 AM
If they got around to doing Aliens at some point it wouldn't be a bitch sesh, it'd be a love sesh - like they'd do with Tremors - and, like they were saying, a commentary that's like watching a movie with your buddies when you've had a few. A fun commentary, if you will.

As for Land, no doubt they'll do that sometime soon - I'd be interested to hear about the on set goings on, and not just a load of bitching ... I am a Land lover after all.

major jay
23-Apr-2010, 11:05 AM
If they got around to doing Aliens at some point it wouldn't be a bitch sesh, it'd be a love sesh

You need to do one on Aliens, Bassman do one Ghostbusters, and Capn Dallow on The Sound Of Music.

DjfunkmasterG
23-Apr-2010, 11:56 AM
I would listen to a Bassman commentary on GB :p

LouCipherr
23-Apr-2010, 12:35 PM
Well Bassman does have a point in that I had absolutely nothing to do with TREMORS...

Since when do we have to "have something to do with" a flick to comment or talk about it? We had nothing to do with Halloween either, now did we? Besides, you and I are big mouths - we'll talk about anything. lol.. Kevin Smith had nothing to do with Spaced, but I've brought that US release commentary up a bunch of times yet no one seems to have a beef with that, so :p :lol:

I'm not looking to try to tell you what to do. I'm just trying to get enough info to cast my vote. You know?

Oh, no worries, and a good idea. I kinda wanted to make it clear to everyone that we were't going to step on the whole MST3K thing when we do these. I don't want to insert lines into a flick that aren't there or riff a whole new dialogue on a movie like those guys. I do like that, and I think they're good at it, but I think our conversations could be just as interesting and possibly more entertaining than that (but we make no guarantee on that. lol).

You've probably crossed the line where that's gonna happen no matter what you do. *shrugs shoulders*

I agree - but that might be part of the fun. The haters have more ammo on us, but the people who did like it got some fun entertainment for an hour or so. Like I said, a win-win situation.... just not for us. :lol:

Oh, and I agree - I'd like to hear Bassman do a GB commentary too. *hint*

I see Tremors is still in the lead. :elol:

Trin
23-Apr-2010, 05:50 PM
I would listen to a Bassman commentary on GB :p
3 minutes of *bappada-bappada-bappada* aaaauuuugghhhayeaaahhh :eek::p:D

bassman
23-Apr-2010, 05:54 PM
3 minutes? You underestimate me, man.

DjfunkmasterG
23-Apr-2010, 05:56 PM
And you should do a vid commentary while wearing your GB costume. :p

DjfunkmasterG
26-Apr-2010, 12:32 PM
Whoa... looks like LAND got another vote, but Tremors is still in the lead. :D

ProfessorChaos
26-Apr-2010, 01:03 PM
fuck it, i'll play along...i wanna hear you rip the shit out of land....

DjfunkmasterG
26-Apr-2010, 01:45 PM
fuck it, i'll play along...i wanna hear you rip the shit out of land....

You have become my new favorite HPotD member :D:lol:

I will tear that film a new ass from top to bottom.... Just need the amount of votes to beat Tremors.

So if it gets two more votes it will be LOTD, otherwise it looks to be Tremors.

ProfessorChaos
26-Apr-2010, 01:51 PM
keep that in mind when the 2010 member awards roll around. hell, i may even make a fake account or two just to boost the vote tally..j/k

but i do have a friend (one who may go to con-tamination with me) who doesn't like land at all, so maybe i'll suggest he signs up and votes for it, just for kicks.

DjfunkmasterG
26-Apr-2010, 01:55 PM
keep that in mind when the 2010 member awards roll around. hell, i may even make a fake account or two just to boost the vote tally..j/k

but i do have a friend (one who may go to con-tamination with me) who doesn't like land at all, so maybe i'll suggest he signs up and votes for it, just for kicks.

And he would become my 2nd favorite HPotD member :p

LouCipherr
26-Apr-2010, 03:57 PM
As much as I love Tremors, I wouldn't mind seeing Land winning, if just for the fun of tearing it apart. :D

MinionZombie
26-Apr-2010, 05:58 PM
*cheers on Tremors*

Tremors! Tremors! Tremors! Tremors! Tremors!

DjfunkmasterG
26-Apr-2010, 07:25 PM
Tremors got another vote

Land 4
Tremors 6

LouCipherr
04-May-2010, 12:30 PM
...and Tremors is still out front! woohoo! :lol:

Folks, due to a severe illness (mine, all last week - major case of the flu), I told Deej yesterday that we need to put off the commentary track until next weekend (May 14 & 15th), however, rest assured, it is coming... :elol:

I can't believe we're 5/6 Land/Tremors.. that's quite funny. :D

DjfunkmasterG
04-May-2010, 09:34 PM
The poll closes May 6th so, people better get their votes in soon.

major jay
04-May-2010, 10:50 PM
Considering there have been 343 views to this thread and only 16 votes I'm guessing most of you don't give a rats ass about this.
Well then how about doing your old buddy major jay a big favor and go up to the poll and give your vote for LAND!
I'd really dig hearing DJ & Lou rip it a new asshole. (plus, I don't own a copy of tremors) :D

DjfunkmasterG
04-May-2010, 11:24 PM
Lou and I aren't getting any love in this thread... Only the hard core who know us and dig our sick sense of humor want to hear this kind of stuff.

Most people probably don't even listen to commentaries. I know I only listen to select commentaries.

bassman
05-May-2010, 12:21 AM
I love commentaries. This past year or so i've been listening to commentaries while at my desk at work. Kinda like talk radio but more interesting. Went through my thousands of dvds and it's been fun. Most aren't too good, but some really pull you in and give out some good info. Laughs too.

I'm interested in what you guys have to say, but it's just kinda like...."What are you going to talk about?" I'm assuming this will have to be one of those funny ones rather than informative.:)

fulci fan
05-May-2010, 12:39 AM
I hope Land makes it. Hell, I would go out and get tremors just for the commentary. Also, "Lou" has one of the greatest laughs of all time :D

DjfunkmasterG
05-May-2010, 12:42 AM
Vote Fulci... or did you already?

MinionZombie
05-May-2010, 09:50 AM
*chants again*

Tremors, Tremors, Tremors!

LouCipherr
05-May-2010, 12:29 PM
Considering there have been 343 views to this thread and only 16 votes I'm guessing most of you don't give a rats ass about this.

Not a damn. We're idiots like that. :lol: We just wanna have some fun, and if people want to come along for the ride, that's cool with us. :D

I'm interested in what you guys have to say, but it's just kinda like...."What are you going to talk about?" I'm assuming this will have to be one of those funny ones rather than informative.:)

Probably. I mean, we don't really have any 'inside' info on Tremors, but anytime the flick is brought up between us, we always have a lot to say, so who knows. Could be initeresting, could be hilarious, could be dull. Won't know 'till we get into it.

I hope Land makes it. Hell, I would go out and get tremors just for the commentary. Also, "Lou" has one of the greatest laughs of all time :D

It will, eventually, don't worry... I personally think Deej is just waiting to do that one.

...and, my laugh? You like my laugh? :elol: I don't know whether to be embarrassed or chuffed about that. (hey, MZ, you're rubbing off on me, ya see that? :lol: Oh, an your lemon avatar is freakin' disturbing!)

MinionZombie
05-May-2010, 05:40 PM
Well, Lou ... as I like to bragg sometimes, I do rub off on a lot of people. :sneaky::lol:

And my lemon avatar is from The Annoying Orange's latest episode - "Wasssabi" - seriously, YouTube it now. The lemon made me shit myself silly.

LouCipherr
05-May-2010, 07:20 PM
It's just.. I don't know.. fucking creepy... :lol:

fulci fan
05-May-2010, 10:06 PM
Vote Fulci... or did you already?

I accidentally voted for Survival because I didn't know it was one of those things were we had to own the movie. I would have voted Land, though.

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

...and, my laugh? You like my laugh? :elol: I don't know whether to be embarrassed or chuffed about that.

It is classic. :cool:

LouCipherr
06-May-2010, 12:54 PM
Voted Devils Rejects. Anything to spare me of a Land hatefest.

That's one I definitely want to get around to doing. Moseley just steals the show in that one. :D

Would definitely be a 'love-fest' commentary on that one.

Danny
06-May-2010, 12:57 PM
i vote for motherfukkin tremors.

krakenslayer
06-May-2010, 01:05 PM
I think you should do a marathon of Forced Entry, Cannibal Holocaust, Combat Shock, Men Behind the Sun, Flower of Flesh and Blood, but you'd probably die. :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
06-May-2010, 02:11 PM
I think you should do a marathon of Forced Entry, Cannibal Holocaust, Combat Shock, Men Behind the Sun, Flower of Flesh and Blood, but you'd probably die. :lol:

As soon as Sir Loucipherr is free to do this I think we are going to do two commentaries, which will most likely be LAND and TREMORS.

Of course a weekend like that requires grilling of Bratwurst, tons of Mt. Dew and a few party favors. :elol:

I really really really want to tear apart LAND. That movies is such a ball of shit I can't wait to MST3K x 10 that flick. :lol::moon:

LouCipherr
06-May-2010, 06:56 PM
As soon as Sir Loucipherr is free to do this I think we are going to do two commentaries, which will most likely be LAND and TREMORS.

It's looking like next weekend. May 14th or 15th. That nasty flu bug I caught last week really screwed up my schedule completely. :mad:

Hey, Flu bug! http://enderzero.net/smilies/fuckyou.gif

LouCipherr
12-May-2010, 02:19 PM
Ok everyone, we're planning on getting together this weekend, so get your votes in now if you haven't done so (yeah, I'm talking to the 300+ people who have viewed the thread but haven't voted - even if you have no interest in listening to us babble, pick a flick, dammit! :p :D)

It's looking like Tremors will be done first, and if we have it in us, we might just do Land right afterwards - that is, if the votes still dictate them as the top two by Friday and we can bring ourselves to stomach Bland one more time...

Looks like we'll have a good mix of love and hate. :D

MinionZombie
12-May-2010, 05:58 PM
I want my Tremors fan commentary! :cool:

major jay
12-May-2010, 06:26 PM
even if you have no interest in listening to us babble, pick a flick, dammit! :p

Yeah you bunch a bums, vote for LAND!

EvilNed
12-May-2010, 06:46 PM
I really really really want to tear apart LAND. That movies is such a ball of shit I can't wait to MST3K x 10 that flick. :lol::moon:

No offense, but there's two reasons why that won't happen:

MST3K have a pre-written script. I assume you guys will just record an audio commentary? :p

Second, the movies MST3K do are generally very, very bad. So bad that they're funny even without the commentaries. Land isn't. If you don't like Land, chances are you just think it's boring. Please don't try to wisecrack yourself through that film - it'll fall flat. Trust me. Instead, just do a proper commentary.

It takes a very special kind of film to MST3K it. A completely ludicrous premise, cheap as hell budget, laughably horrible dialoge, etc. etc... Land really have none of those things.

LouCipherr
12-May-2010, 07:38 PM
I want my Tremors fan commentary! :cool:

Don't worry, you're gonna get it. :p :D

Yeah you bunch a bums, vote for LAND!

I think you're gonna get that one too - we're going to try for a two-fer - Tremors AND Land. ;) Tremors will be done first, and if we're still coherent after that <ahem> we're gonna do Land.

MST3K have a pre-written script. I assume you guys will just record an audio commentary? :p

Ned - don't worry, we're not MST3K'ing ANYTHING at all. I'm sure Dj would like to do that, but that's not the plan with these commentaries. I wouldn't bother trying to do what the MST3K guys did because, well, it's been done, and they're probably a lot better at it than we would be. :lol:

bassman
12-May-2010, 07:54 PM
It takes a very special kind of film to MST3K it. A completely ludicrous premise, cheap as hell budget, laughably horrible dialoge, etc. etc...

Dawn(78)?

I had to...

EvilNed
12-May-2010, 08:09 PM
Dawn(78)?

I had to...

You know, I hate to say it, but I actually think that film could be given the MST3K treatment...

fulci fan
12-May-2010, 08:52 PM

Second, the movies MST3K do are generally very, very bad. So bad that they're funny even without the commentaries. Land isn't. If you don't like Land, chances are you just think it's boring. Please don't try to wisecrack yourself through that film - it'll fall flat. Trust me. Instead, just do a proper commentary.

It takes a very special kind of film to MST3K it. A completely ludicrous premise, cheap as hell budget, laughably horrible dialoge, etc. etc... Land really have none of those things.

Anyone who tries to be like the men on MST3K always falls short and is really annoying. No one comes close to them. I am talking about Mike, Kevin, and Bill (after Joel).

LouCipherr
14-May-2010, 02:38 PM
Well, today is the day. Dj will be coming over tonight and we'll be laying down what looks like a love-fest commentary for Tremors. That is unless the poll swings in a different direction before we start. We're going to try and do Land right afterwards, but it depends on how our night goes.

http://enderzero.net/smilies/mrt.gif says DON'T BE A FOOL LIKE MURDOCK, VOTE NOW, SUCKA!

Poll closes in 9 hours...

DjfunkmasterG
14-May-2010, 02:46 PM
Well, today is the day. Dj will be coming over tonight and we'll be laying down what looks like a love-fest commentary for Tremors. That is unless the poll swings in a different direction before we start. We're going to try and do Land right afterwards, but it depends on how our night goes.

http://enderzero.net/smilies/mrt.gif says DON'T BE A FOOL LIKE MURDOCK, VOTE NOW, SUCKA!

Poll closes in 9 hours...

Dude, poll has been closed for a week. Since May 6th. You already getting Dementia?

LouCipherr
14-May-2010, 02:48 PM
Why did it close the 6th? We stated it had to be postponed and I figured we were adding time for people to vote until then.

:finger:

:D

DjfunkmasterG
14-May-2010, 02:49 PM
Why did it close the 6th? We stated it had to be postponed and I figured we were adding time for people to vote until then.

:finger:

No... because we we decided to move the date the poll had already closed and I was too lazy to open it back up. so :p :moon:

LouCipherr
14-May-2010, 02:51 PM
No... because we we decided to move the date the poll had already closed and I was too lazy to open it back up. so :p :moon:

You lazy motherf.... goddammit Dj! :lol:

Fine, screw you, thanks to Dj, poll was closed on the 6th and not reopened, so we're all fucked. Tremors it is.. :lol: :D

DjfunkmasterG
14-May-2010, 02:52 PM
Tremors and Land.... we are getting both out of the way so i don't have to ever watch that retched POS again.

LouCipherr
14-May-2010, 02:55 PM
Tremors and Land.... we are getting both out of the way so i don't have to ever watch that retched POS again.

That depends on how late we get started and what condition we're in after Tremors.. http://enderzero.net/smilies/alcoholic.gif

DjfunkmasterG
14-May-2010, 02:56 PM
That depends on how late we get started and what condition we're in after Tremors.. http://enderzero.net/smilies/alcoholic.gif

Well nothing better than a coherent commentary for Tremors, and a LOL drunken bash fest for LAND

LouCipherr
14-May-2010, 02:59 PM
Well nothing better than a coherent commentary for Tremors, and a LOL drunken bash fest for LAND

You might have a point there.... :D

DjfunkmasterG
14-May-2010, 04:58 PM
You might have a point there.... :D

Of course I do... :D

MinionZombie
14-May-2010, 06:11 PM
At least try and make the Land commentary entertaining for those of us who dig the flick ... I also want to know the things you guys like about Land as well ... now that'd be something! :)

I look forward to checking these out as-and-when.

DjfunkmasterG
14-May-2010, 06:25 PM
At least try and make the Land commentary entertaining for those of us who dig the flick ... I also want to know the things you guys like about Land as well ... now that'd be something! :)

I look forward to checking these out as-and-when.

No guarantees MZ. But we will try :)

LouCipherr
14-May-2010, 07:32 PM

Whoa, wait a sec pal... I'm still waiting for some of the things you liked about Dawn04 ya bugger! :D

We'll try. I mean, I know there are a few things I do dig in Land, it's just the 'overall' presentation I didn't care for. I can probably cherry-pick a few things I like about it. It's not gonna be a lot of 'em though... :p

Regardless of what we say, I assure you, by the time we get to Land, things are going to be entertaining even if we're trashing the film from minute one 'till the last minute. :lol:

Trin
14-May-2010, 08:41 PM
If you're gonna do Land then we the people of HPOTD demand some behind the scenes skinny since you were there and all (at least Deej). A 90 minute gripe fest, while perhaps entertaining, is going to squander the opportunity for the rest of us.

Also, as a filmmaker (you, not me) I want to hear your thoughts on Land in terms of what worked and what didn't. And how the script translated to the scene. Stuff like that.

And to MZ's point, there must be some things you liked about it. With a little drunken MST3K for fun. :P

EvilNed
14-May-2010, 09:38 PM
Regardless of what we say, I assure you, by the time we get to Land, things are going to be entertaining even if we're trashing the film from minute one 'till the last minute. :lol:

You know... Being drunk is fun!

But being sober and listening to drunk people is mostly annoying. Try to keep that in mind. :p

MinionZombie
15-May-2010, 10:41 AM
You know... Being drunk is fun!

But being sober and listening to drunk people is mostly annoying. Try to keep that in mind. :p

A fair point ... so try and keep it at least somewhat comprehensible. :p Try and avoid too many in-jokes that we aren't in on, too. :D

If you're gonna do Land then we the people of HPOTD demand some behind the scenes skinny since you were there and all (at least Deej). A 90 minute gripe fest, while perhaps entertaining, is going to squander the opportunity for the rest of us.

Damn straight, we want behind the scenes info - hopefully minus any personal grievance. A straight dissemination of BTS info would be grand.

DjfunkmasterG
16-May-2010, 01:41 AM
Ok, so in keeping our promise on doing a commentary for TREMORS and LAND of the DEAD...

Here is the first of the two commentaries...

LAND of the DEAD

www.wetnwildradio.com

or direct Download

http://www.wetnwildradio.com/media/LOTD_Commentary.mp3

Oh and I give a lot of inside skinny.

fulci fan
16-May-2010, 02:28 AM
Can you make it so that we can listen to it off of the site without downloading it?
Axlish did it for his thing. :rolleyes:

DjfunkmasterG
16-May-2010, 02:45 AM
You can listen to it fromt eh site... just click WETNWILDRADIO.COM Link... give it time to load, it is a 50mb file.

Gary

fulci fan
16-May-2010, 02:53 AM
I either have to download quicktime or download the file. My computer got a virus and it fucked up my media player so I can't listen to it unless it plays on its own on the site.:(

DjfunkmasterG
16-May-2010, 02:55 AM
Shouldn't be QUICKTIME if you're using IE, it is a WMV MP3 file.

bassman
16-May-2010, 02:58 AM
the quicktime link is working for me. Will be watching/listening in the nest few minutes, though. Looking forward to it.

Will be in the chat later to bitch about Gary's bitching. :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
16-May-2010, 03:08 AM
Gary will be in bed, sleeping....

bassman
16-May-2010, 04:23 AM
Okay. I tried.

When you get to about 30-40 minutes and the basic commentary is about whether the film is "epic" enough, it only tends to repeats itself. Basically you guys are upset that Romero didn't make the "epic" film you were looking for. As fans you were already expecting the biggest of big. Why not? It's Romero's first film in twenty-something years. But from what I heard, you were let down by your own expectations.

I'm having to cut it short tonight....but so far it seems like you guys are bitching because your idea wasn't translated to film.

Expectations can be a bitch. I'll listen to the rest shortly...

MinionZombie
16-May-2010, 11:57 AM
Will give this a listen later on.

When can we expect the Tremors commentary to be up? That's the one I'm really looking forward to.

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

Just listening to the opening before you guys start the movie.

I'll point out that I have the R1 Unrated Director's Cut - just like you guys. I got it on DVD a mere 2 weeks after we finally got to see it in UK cinemas. So I fortunately avoided R2 getting shafted.

And wtf is with the HD-DVD menu music for Land? Whose idea was that?! Did they think it was a romantic comedy? :lol:

major jay
16-May-2010, 02:17 PM
I'm looking foward to hearing this, but I think I'll wait till next weekend so I can sit down with some whiskey and 7up and get into a good mood for it.

MinionZombie
16-May-2010, 05:05 PM
Listened to it earlier. As someone who likes Land it can be a bit off listening to people bitch incessantly about it for the most part. There were a few "I like that bit" moments, which were fascinating for me - after all the bitching since 2005, finally we see what they can like in the movie ... ... albeit there's not an awful lot.

Okay, I get it, Land didn't have the "end of the world zombie" feel you wanted - broken record much? :p:lol::p ... Bustin' ya balls on that one...

I agree with you guys on some aspects, like the seeming lack of zombies - although I think part of that was down to the rules governing extras when shooting in Canada - they all had to be hired and official extras, so GAR and Co were disappointed to not be allowed to have fans show up as zeds - and you just know if they'd be allowed to get fans in, there'd have been zombies freakin' everywhere!

Also, didn't Land get scuppered by the tax break situation ... or was it an exchange rate thing? I remember reading that Yawn04 got in before something changed unfavourably and then Land didn't get as good a deal as Yawn04 got.

Some things mentioned feel a bit too nit-picky, or focussed on too harshly for a mere nit-pick though ... so I agree on some aspects of criticism, and disagree on other aspects.

I loved Land when it came out initially, and now I like Land - so my estimation of the flick has dropped a notch or two over time when I've noticed lines of dialogue I don't like, or moments I don't like, or things that irk me a little - but - over-the-piece, I still like Land.

I'm looking forward to the Tremors love-fest commentary ... I think a love-fest commentary will be more entertaining. I'd rather listen to people whoop it up in a party atmosphere where it's like watching a movie with your buddies that you all love. A positive vibe is more enjoyable than a negative one, which makes sense I'm sure you'll agree.

Good start to proceedings, but yeah - really looking forward to the Tremors love commentary.

DjfunkmasterG
16-May-2010, 05:58 PM
Listened to it earlier. As someone who likes Land it can be a bit off listening to people bitch incessantly about it for the most part. There were a few "I like that bit" moments, which were fascinating for me - after all the bitching since 2005, finally we see what they can like in the movie ... ... albeit there's not an awful lot.

Yep, there ain't much. :p in fact I think i can't even count on one hand what i liked about it. Can't speak for Lou though. :p

Okay, I get it, Land didn't have the "end of the world zombie" feel you wanted - broken record much? :p:lol::p ... Bustin' ya balls on that one...

Yep this was a repeat quite often because the films title is LAND of the DEAD, not LITTLE TOWN of the DEAD or I WAS A MIDDLE AGED ANGRY ZOMBIE LOOKING TO STOP THE OPPRESSION OF MY FELLOW PEOPLE WHILE I GATHERS A MEASLY ARMY OF 12 AGAINST A CITY WITH THOUSANDS OF THE DEAD.

I agree with you guys on some aspects, like the seeming lack of zombies - although I think part of that was down to the rules governing extras when shooting in Canada - they all had to be hired and official extras, so GAR and Co were disappointed to not be allowed to have fans show up as zeds - and you just know if they'd be allowed to get fans in, there'd have been zombies freakin' everywhere!

I am sorry but POOR fucking excuse. If indies guys can pull off the amount of zombies they pull off, like Reese and his new flick... Reese is Canadian and from the trailer I have seen and his other work he seems to get zombies. NO PROBLEM!

Making excuses for the production is poor MZ. Lo9ok at what you and I do as PRODUCERS and the things we have to put together because we have no money.. they have $18,000,000 at their disposal and they can't pull off something like getting people to PLAY ZOMBIES???

They are PRODUCERS their main function is too PRODUCE. A real PRODUCER who had faith in this project would have busted his balls to make sure this movie had some ZOMBIES in it.

Also, didn't Land get scuppered by the tax break situation ... or was it an exchange rate thing? I remember reading that Yawn04 got in before something changed unfavourably and then Land didn't get as good a deal as Yawn04 got.

No, the change wasn't that significant. DAWN 04 had a 20% tax incentive, LAND had 17%, but in that loss of 3% many rules were lifted.

Some things mentioned feel a bit too nit-picky, or focussed on too harshly for a mere nit-pick though ... so I agree on some aspects of criticism, and disagree on other aspects.

Because those were the biggest problems MZ. Mistakes he didn't make back with the previous trilogy and shouldn't have been making with the new flicks either.

I loved Land when it came out initially, and now I like Land - so my estimation of the flick has dropped a notch or two over time when I've noticed lines of dialogue I don't like, or moments I don't like, or things that irk me a little - but - over-the-piece, I still like Land.

I'm looking forward to the Tremors love-fest commentary ... I think a love-fest commentary will be more entertaining. I'd rather listen to people whoop it up in a party atmosphere where it's like watching a movie with your buddies that you all love. A positive vibe is more enjoyable than a negative one, which makes sense I'm sure you'll agree.

Good start to proceedings, but yeah - really looking forward to the Tremors love commentary.

I am working on editing the Tremors commentary It will come soon. :)

MinionZombie
16-May-2010, 07:42 PM
Yeah but wouldn't Land of the Dead be a Unionised shoot? Wasn't that part of the problem - Canadian Extras Guild (or whatever they may be called) kicking up a fuss ... like 'dey tuk ah jerbs!' at the idea of Romero fans from the world over becoming zombies, when unionised Canadian extras would 'lose out' on work as a result. Bullshit I know - why can't they just pay some extras and then the fan extras would just go unpaid (as I'm sure they'd all be fine with!)

Wasn't that the situation? Feckin' Unions ... a real plus side to the indie film scene surely - little, if any, problem with unions.

Sometimes there will be things that'll come along with a production that'll adversely affect the final product which cannot be avoided too. A perfect shoot isn't possible, and it'd be rare for a problem to not somehow adversely affect a movie - how big the effect is an entirely different variable, but it's still a point.

At this rate I'm gonna have to do a "like list" for Yawn04 ... ... good lord...:shifty:

EvilNed
16-May-2010, 08:03 PM
Just one thing struck me...

I am sorry but POOR fucking excuse. If indies guys can pull off the amount of zombies they pull off, like Reese and his new flick... Reese is Canadian and from the trailer I have seen and his other work he seems to get zombies. NO PROBLEM!

Okay, so you call that a poor excuse... Yet...

Yep this was a repeat quite often because the films title is LAND of the DEAD, not LITTLE TOWN of the DEAD or I WAS A MIDDLE AGED ANGRY ZOMBIE LOOKING TO STOP THE OPPRESSION OF MY FELLOW PEOPLE WHILE I GATHERS A MEASLY ARMY OF 12 AGAINST A CITY WITH THOUSANDS OF THE DEAD.

You think THIS is a perfectly valid argument? What... the... fuck? :p

And as someone who's actually looked over an artists union contract once or twice, I can tell you that you either work outside the system and don't work with any union rules, or you work IN the system and follow ALL the rules. Extras included. You simply just can't "let whoever wants to be in it, be in it" if you've got a deal with the canadian co-producers.

DjfunkmasterG
16-May-2010, 10:17 PM
Ned...

I realize you may think what I am saying is contradictory, and it can be construed that way, but I am sorry if during the shoot of the movie your final product comes out like LAND... Change the fucking title. Because that wasn't LAND of the DEAD.

Give me $18,000,000 and I will give you LAND of the DEAD. If the studio won't work with me then fuck'em I will do it on my own.

Fans want and expect a lot from the zombie genre, and they should get it. We spend our hard earned money and support it and shouldn't have to be subjected to mediocrity. Union, no union, studio, no studio... Stand up for what you believe in and to make it possible.

If I can go out and bust my balls for $6,000 and turn in a movie with shit loads of zombies, with $18,000,000 this man should have been able to get something done. I am not trying to say or come off as the better filmmaker even as arrogant as I sound about this topic, but GODDAMN... LAND doesn't even feel like anyone tried. There was no heart in it. There was heart in the first 3, but the newest films seem like they were just phoned in to make a quick buck.

Do what you can with the resources available to you, and $18,000,000 is a lout of resource to pick from... Especially for any competent producer that gives a damn.... that is all I am saying.

bassman
16-May-2010, 10:20 PM
So if the title "Land of the Dead" created a disappointing result for you....what about Day?

"I'm mad because I only see the dead in the day light for about 15 minutes! This should be CAVE of the Dead!":lol:

major jay
16-May-2010, 10:38 PM
Yep this was a repeat quite often because the films title is LAND of the DEAD, not LITTLE TOWN of the DEAD or I WAS A MIDDLE AGED ANGRY ZOMBIE LOOKING TO STOP THE OPPRESSION OF MY FELLOW PEOPLE WHILE I GATHERS A MEASLY ARMY OF 12 AGAINST A CITY WITH THOUSANDS OF THE DEAD

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

EvilNed
16-May-2010, 10:46 PM
So if the title "Land of the Dead" created a disappointing result for you....what about Day?

"I'm mad because I only see the dead in the day light for about 15 minutes! This should be CAVE of the Dead!":lol:

Yeah, exactly my point.

If I can go out and bust my balls for $6,000 and turn in a movie with shit loads of zombies

Did you follow union rules?

DjfunkmasterG
16-May-2010, 11:58 PM
Did you follow union rules?

Nope... I did not, and the Union if I did have one, would have had to accept the fact when it comes to zombies this is how we do things, if not fuck them too.

I am not going to let someone stop me from trying to do what needs to be done because they don't like it. Its not their vision it is mine.

EvilNed
17-May-2010, 05:11 AM
Nope... I did not, and the Union if I did have one, would have had to accept the fact when it comes to zombies this is how we do things, if not fuck them too.

I am not going to let someone stop me from trying to do what needs to be done because they don't like it. Its not their vision it is mine.

Sorry, doesn't work that way. Either you follow union rules or you don't. If you decide to sign a deal with someone and then go against that deal in real life, your movie wouldn't have cost 6,000 dollars. It would have cost something more along the lines of -250,000 dollars and you'd end up with no film. Your production company's insurance company would end up with half a film, tho. So I guess they could make something out of it.

bassman
17-May-2010, 11:44 AM
Did I say that 6,000 quote?:confused:

LouCipherr
17-May-2010, 12:43 PM
Well, here's all I can say about it at this point - yes, we did repeatedly harp on the fact that it wasn't "epic" enough, this is true, however.. we also pointed out a lot of other issues with the film (filters used, day for night shots, lack of decent characters, crappy CGI blood, the fact that most performances seem completely lackluster, no characters that you actually "feel" for or have any attachment to, filmed in 2.35:1 yet there were tons of closeups so you didn't get that 'large scope' feel). We even picked out some of the parts we did enjoy, even if they were few and far between (you're welcome, MZ.. :lol:), so we tried to be balanced, although it was quite difficult for this flick.

I noticed someone said "well, you're bitching because it didn't meet your vision for the film" - uhhh, well, yes, that's exactly true - and isn't that what people do? If it did meet our expectations, then we'd have no complaints. The whole reason people complain about movies is because it either didn't meet their expectations or were nothing like they were expecting or it was a bad film overall.

Keep in mind, it's just two people's opinion on the flick. We don't expect anyone to agree with our assessment, we just did it for fun for those who might wanna take a listen.

bassman
17-May-2010, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I said that. What I actually meant is that you built the film up in your own mind for 20+ years and expected it to be just that. Rather than giving it an open viewing and a fair chance, you expected it to be YOUR film. I would relate it to the shit Day originally received because it wasn't another Dawn.

DjfunkmasterG
17-May-2010, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I said that. What I actually meant is that you built the film up in your own mind for 20+ years and expected it to be just that. Rather than giving it an open viewing and a fair chance, you expected it to be YOUR film. I would relate it to the shit Day originally received because it wasn't another Dawn.

For 20 years I had a lot of expectations, this is true, but even though my expectations were not met that doesn't mean LAND was a good film. It was horrible barely DTV worthy trash.

I am sorry if people think the film was so great, but I honestly feel the DAWN remake, while it is a cookie cutter action horror film was way more entertaining and worthy of its accolades than LAND of the DEAD.

Bassman, I am sure everyone could agree we were all excited for a new Romero Zombie film after 20 years, but can you honestly sit and watch that film and say or think it can be held in the same regard as the original trilogy?

I can't, so I have opted to speak my mind on the situation. People have no idea how hard it is for me to find anything good about that movie because all I see is wasted potential. I had read the screenplay, and I was shocked at how poor of atranslation the screenplay was to final product.

---------- Post added at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

Sorry, doesn't work that way. Either you follow union rules or you don't. If you decide to sign a deal with someone and then go against that deal in real life, your movie wouldn't have cost 6,000 dollars. It would have cost something more along the lines of -250,000 dollars and you'd end up with no film. Your production company's insurance company would end up with half a film, tho. So I guess they could make something out of it.

Well Ned,

to be honest when Deadlands 3 gets made, the unions will either have to make some concessions for me so I can make the movie I want to make or I can just hire non-union personnel. There are many indie filmmakers out there with talent who will work outside the union, but I will follow as much of the standard working rules as possible and dictated by our budget.

bassman
17-May-2010, 01:00 PM
can you honestly sit and watch that film and say or think it can be held in the same regard as the original trilogy?

I don't know if I would put it up there with Day, but it's certainly the closest of his newer films. So pretty much...yeah. I quite enjoy Land. Probably because I didn't expect it to be the Shawshank of zombie films.:p

LouCipherr
17-May-2010, 01:12 PM
I don't think for one minute we expected it to be "our" film, we expected it to be a GOOD film and it fell short. I certainly didn't expect Dawn, Night, or Day, but I expected better acting, some characters I cared about, and some better cinematography.

If it was OUR film, it wouldn't turned out 100% different. Maybe not better, but different, lets just put it that way.

I'm not one of those that expects George to crank about another zombie flick like the original trilogy. Matter of fact, bassman, I think you and I said something similar in one of the Survivial threads. To expect George to turn out another Night/Dawn/Day at this point in time is just not possible. It was the right films at the right time in our lives, and that can never be repeated.

What I didn't expect what the mediocrity that was given to us with Land. We thought he could do much better. Then again, after seeing Diary and Survivial, perhaps that's not the case.

DjfunkmasterG
17-May-2010, 01:41 PM
I think there were some good things about LAND, but the overall package was shit.

Believe me if I helmed that flick I would have done it much differently, but I didn't helm the movie and therefore can only voice my dislikes about it.

I actually have more good to say about Survival than I do LAND.

bassman
17-May-2010, 01:51 PM
I actually have more good to say about Survival than I do LAND.

Ouch.

I understand that you guys don't like Land. That's cool....different strokes and all that. But when your commentary is litered with "Not epic enough" and the opening is complaining about the menu music...it seems like you guys are stretching for some haterade.

I'm starting to think you just enjoy bitching about it.:p

DjfunkmasterG
17-May-2010, 02:02 PM
Ouch.

I understand that you guys don't like Land. That's cool....different strokes and all that. But when your commentary is litered with "Not epic enough" and the opening is complaining about the menu music...it seems like you guys are stretching for some haterade.

I'm starting to think you just enjoy bitching about it.:p

the Menu music was more of a joke at Universal for inconsistency about HD DVD menus on their products. Plus it also gave me a chance to slide a quick love note to the DAWN remake in there as well.

However, i still think it is stupid to use such cheesy music for the HD DVD Menu when they could have easily lifted off a track from the films score and used that... it would have at least set a better tone for the film.

BillyRay
17-May-2010, 02:10 PM
What I actually meant is that you built the film up in your own mind for 20+ years and expected it to be just that. Rather than giving it an open viewing and a fair chance, you expected it to be YOUR film.

Are we still talking about Land of the Dead, or Phantom Menace? :D

EvilNed
17-May-2010, 04:55 PM
Well Ned,

to be honest when Deadlands 3 gets made, the unions will either have to make some concessions for me so I can make the movie I want to make or I can just hire non-union personnel. There are many indie filmmakers out there with talent who will work outside the union, but I will follow as much of the standard working rules as possible and dictated by our budget.

So you're not working with the unions, check. Question answered. (Opinions like this are exactly why Unions exist, ironically)

DjfunkmasterG
17-May-2010, 05:11 PM
Are we still talking about Land of the Dead, or Phantom Menace? :D

Aren't they one in the same?

Both from a filmmaker named George
Both contain a boring story and plot
Both contain an annoying character

LouCipherr
18-May-2010, 02:47 PM
No 'stretching' is necessary to find things to dislike about Land (for us, and in our opinion), and yes, we do enjoy bitching about it because, well, as far as we're concerned, it deserves it. :p

The whole 'not epic enough' is well deserved when you sit and view the movie carefully. Sure, we mentioned it a lot, but that's because there were so many places where the film had such potential to have that feel and consistently fell flat on it's face. I hate to say it (actually, no i don't) Dawn04 had a WAY more epic feel and look than Land.

I noticed many are complaining more about our 'epic' statements yet we threw a lot more in there than just that. Camera angles, filters used, aspect ratio not used properly in many cases, characters that no one cares about, poor dialogue delivery, wrong actors chosen for certain parts (Eugene Clark in particular, but he was just one of several), actors that just didn't seem into the project and just fell flat on their performance... I know we brought it up a lot, but there was a lot more to the commentary than the lack of an 'epic' feel.

EvilNed
18-May-2010, 03:35 PM
The whole 'not epic enough' is well deserved when you sit and view the movie carefully. Sure, we mentioned it a lot, but that's because there were so many places where the film had such potential to have that feel and consistently fell flat on it's face. I hate to say it (actually, no i don't) Dawn04 had a WAY more epic feel and look than Land.

Couldn't disagree more.

LouCipherr
18-May-2010, 08:32 PM
Couldn't disagree more.

That's the wonderful thing about opinions, we're all free to disagree. ;)

Dawn04 had the look and feel that the world had gone to shit and there was nothing but millions of zombies wandering around just waiting for a human buffet to come their way.

Land, however, didn't have that. 90% of Land was a group of ten or twenty people gathering goods while 10 or less zombies surrounded them and the survivors acted panicked like they were being mobbed by thousands - all this while they're carrying shotguns, machine guns, and a plethora of weapons. That, to me, made it feel small and confined in comparison to Dawn04. There were a few spots in Land where a large group of zombies appears, but its so far and few between, it didn't give me that "oh shit, the world is over and everyone is toast" feel.

DjfunkmasterG
18-May-2010, 09:52 PM

Dawn04 had the look and feel that the world had gone to shit and there was nothing but millions of zombies wandering around just waiting for a human buffet to come their way.

Land, however, didn't have that. 90% of Land was a group of ten or twenty people gathering goods while 10 or less zombies surrounded them and the survivors acted panicked like they were being mobbed by thousands - all this while they're carrying shotguns, machine guns, and a plethora of weapons. That, to me, made it feel small and confined in comparison to Dawn04. There were a few spots in Land where a large group of zombies appears, but its so far and few between, it didn't give me that "oh shit, the world is over and everyone is toast" feel.

^^^^^^

What he said. :lol:

EvilNed
18-May-2010, 10:10 PM

Okay, it's official. We did not watch the same movie. I'm referring to this film right here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418819/

Got released in 2005. It's not really supposed to show a world as much populated by the dead (but if that's what you want, the excellent opening shows that off), but rather the focus is put on a world in advanced decay. George A. Romero directed.

If we're talking about the same film, I'm sorry the "zombie" quota wasn't filled to your satisfaction. I certainly felt the decayness of Land more than I felt anything at all from Dawn 04. Opinions, eh...

LouCipherr
19-May-2010, 12:40 PM
Yup, same movie we watched. :p Wasn't impressed the 3rd or 4th time around either. It's not like either of us haven't given it more than it's fair shot. I know Dj has watched it more than me, and I think i've seen it like 3-4 times now.

Still sucks.

mista_mo
19-May-2010, 12:55 PM
Well your opinions are WRONG!

LouCipherr
19-May-2010, 01:25 PM
Well your opinions are WRONG!

Trin
19-May-2010, 02:31 PM
Land, however, didn't have that. 90% of Land was a group of ten or twenty people gathering goods while 10 or less zombies surrounded them and the survivors acted panicked like they were being mobbed by thousands - all this while they're carrying shotguns, machine guns, and a plethora of weapons. That, to me, made it feel small and confined in comparison to Dawn04. There were a few spots in Land where a large group of zombies appears, but its so far and few between, it didn't give me that "oh shit, the world is over and everyone is toast" feel.I agree with this, and this is a large part of my disgruntlement with Land. The characters acted as if their situation was dire and they were trapped in the prison of Fiddler's Green? By what? The ONE zombie that assaulted the place prior to Big Daddy?

I haven't watched the commentary yet but "lacked epic" or "lacked zombies" would be hard to overstate.

...but rather the focus is put on a world in advanced decay. George A. Romero directed.

If we're talking about the same film, I'm sorry the "zombie" quota wasn't filled to your satisfaction. I certainly felt the decayness of Land more than I felt anything at all from Dawn 04. Opinions, eh...
Land did a good job of showing the decayed world. It just did it without enough zombies to sell the situation.

Dawn '04 did a pretty good job with the environments, imo. It didn't show decay necessarily, but when they set off in the busses at the end you see a world that has collapsed. And all the shots coming off the mall show a world that was ravaged by zombies.

EvilNed
19-May-2010, 03:55 PM
Dawn '04 did a pretty good job with the environments, imo. It didn't show decay necessarily, but when they set off in the busses at the end you see a world that has collapsed. And all the shots coming off the mall show a world that was ravaged by zombies.

I must have missed that part, because the camera was all over the place. At the time I was starting believe I'd rented Bourne of the Dead by accident.

MinionZombie
19-May-2010, 06:46 PM
*ahem*

Where'd that Tremors love-fest commentary get to? :)

bassman
19-May-2010, 07:07 PM
*ahem*

It wasn't epic enough....

DjfunkmasterG
19-May-2010, 09:51 PM
*ahem*

Actually I was just about to post the Tremors update.

Lou and I will have to re-record it. There is some kind of annoying buzzing sound going through the commentary from 25 minute mark on, and I think it could be from a bad XLR cable (mic cable)

Told Lou about it last night as I was trying everything to filter it out, but when I sent him a sample he agreed it should be re-recorded.

So just another little delay. My apologies

Trin
20-May-2010, 06:04 AM
^^^ That, however, WAS epic. Epic enough to snort pepsi on my keyboard.

MinionZombie
20-May-2010, 10:07 AM
Dagnammit *clicks fingers* ... shoot.

I look forward to hearing the new record ... but I guess if you missed anything, or wanted to improve the original in any way, now you have that chance.

LouCipherr
20-May-2010, 12:06 PM
There is some kind of annoying buzzing sound going through the commentary from 25 minute mark on, and I think it could be from a bad XLR cable (mic cable)

Yeah, that was extremely annoying to find out that was screwed up, but, it just gives us a reason to get together and watch Tremors again. :D Can never get enough Tremors! :lol:

Land did a good job of showing the decayed world. It just did it without enough zombies to sell the situation.

Trin nailed it. ;)

DjfunkmasterG
20-May-2010, 12:09 PM
Okay, it's official. We did not watch the same movie. I'm referring to this film right here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418819/

Got released in 2005. It's not really supposed to show a world as much populated by the dead (but if that's what you want, the excellent opening shows that off), but rather the focus is put on a world in advanced decay. George A. Romero directed.

Oh we watched the same movie... or at least I think we did. BTW, that opening was not excellent, infact it was total crap. Something I noted right off the bat in our commentary. I picked and discussed everything wrong with it.

Unless... Hey wait a minute... Do you have a non shitty version the rest of the world doesn't know about? If so, share that mutherfucker because what is out there right now masquerading as Land of the Dead is total crap.

LouCipherr
20-May-2010, 12:14 PM
Unless... Hey wait a minute... Do you have a non shitty version the rest of the world doesn't know about? If so, share that mutherfucker because what is out there right now masquerading as Land of the Dead is total crap.

:lol::lol::lol:

DjfunkmasterG
20-May-2010, 12:25 PM
Ok... so we can all breathe easier and no one has any hurt feelings, Land of the Dead was the second most voted film to be commented on by Lou and I, and as promised we did do the commentary and at no time did we promise we would love it, in fact we pretty much admitted the commentary would be a hate fest, but I would like to note that we did point out some cool aspects of Land of the Dead, while also pointing out what was wrong with the film.

I believe I noted poor camera angles, poor acting, poor direction, poor use of filters, but I also noted my favorite lines, what i thought was cool, what worked and what didn't.

You guys are focusing too much on the fact we considered the film not EPIC enough, and as I noted if you're going to title a film LAND of the DEAD well I don't know about you but to me that is a tile that screams EPIC to me.

Now I will say some parts of the city life in pittsburgh where the survivors held up was done very well and I believe I noted this in our commentary, but the rest of the film didn't match up to the superb visuals in those city scenes.

It just seems like a majority of the production was rushed and half assed and the mismatch of shots and other items just makes LAND, in my opinion a total mess.

So let's all agree that my opinion doesn't reflect the opinions of zombie fans on HPotD, or its affiliates or whatever. :D

bassman
20-May-2010, 12:39 PM
You guys are focusing too much on the fact we considered the film not EPIC enough, and as I noted if you're going to title a film LAND of the DEAD well I don't know about you but to me that is a tile that screams EPIC to me.

That's what makes me mad about the original Dawn. You see the zombies in the dawn for only a few minutes! Don't even get me started with Day and the dark cave.

And was anyone else let down with the fact that you're never taught how to kill a mocking bird in To Kill A Mockingbird?:lol:

Just busting your balls, guys...

LouCipherr
20-May-2010, 12:53 PM
That's what makes me mad about the original Dawn. You see the zombies in the dawn for only a few minutes! Don't even get me started with Day and the dark cave.

And was anyone else let down with the fact that you're never taught how to kill a mocking bird in To Kill A Mockingbird?:lol:

Just busting your balls, guys...

mista_mo
20-May-2010, 01:13 PM
Hey, don't forget that Dawn of the Dead hardly has any Dawn in the thing. Like seriously, we see the sun rise for all of 5 seconds AT THE END NO LESS. Fucking Romero, what a piece of shit.

DjfunkmasterG
20-May-2010, 01:48 PM
Well there are two definitions for DAWN and I know you're just busting balls, but he is using the definition of DAWN as the beginning of something.

Danny
20-May-2010, 01:51 PM
Well there are two definitions for DAWN and I know you're just busting balls, but he is using the definition of DAWN as the beginning of something.

-as he was using the definition of land of the dead to show that humans were the minority now and the zombies where the majority, trying to live like they used to, fhnaar, fhnaar wot-wot.

DjfunkmasterG
20-May-2010, 01:55 PM
-as he was using the definition of land of the dead to show that humans were the minority now and the zombies where the majority, trying to live like they used to, fhnaar, fhnaar wot-wot.

The zombies were the majority? Really? In what scene? :p

bassman
20-May-2010, 02:00 PM
Ya know....this "lack of zombies" thing got me thinking. Was there a lack of zombies? Look at these screencaps. This is without a doubt the most EVER seen in a Romero dead film....

http://www.dayofthedawn.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_lotdcap12.jpg

http://www.dayofthedawn.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_lotdcap13.jpg

http://www.dayofthedawn.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_lotdcap17.jpg

It may have not felt like enough, but it's got to be the most in a Romero film. Day being a close second.

DjfunkmasterG
20-May-2010, 02:09 PM
First 2 are CG shots, you can tell because the zombies are the same height as Big Daddy yet are in deeper water, and most likely shouldn't even have emerged yet.

Last one was a group of 81 zombies on set that night.

the zombies walking from the river in reverse is a CG shot as well. Just done better

bassman
20-May-2010, 02:26 PM
What does it matter if the background zombies are cgi???? It doesn't matter if they're real, cgi, or friggin shadow puppets. They're in the very back and you can't see them anyway. Your complaint wasn't about whether they were cgi or real, your complaint was that there aren't enough zombies. To me....those pictures show lots of zombies.

Does Dr. Tongue not count as a zombie because he was a puppet?:p

BillyRay
20-May-2010, 02:36 PM
Yeah!

Do zombie puppets count, Deej?

:shifty:

DjfunkmasterG
20-May-2010, 02:37 PM
Ok, so two shots out of 97 minutes of movie.

Where were all the zombies during the raid on Uniontown?

Where were all the zombies when Big Daddy and his posse were cutting down the wooden walls to get to the green?

Where were all the zombies when....

Yep I think that about covers it

bassman
20-May-2010, 02:41 PM
Where were all the zombies during the raid on Uniontown?

What makes you think there would be hoardes of zombies in a small town like that? In a world where the dead have taken over, why would they all go to a small town with one gas station and a hole-in-the-wall liquor store? Besides....we know from Dawn and Day that the dead would most likely stick to places they remember. So a small town leads to a small population, correct? What did you expect? Shoulder-to-shoulder zombies in a town smaller than Mayberry?

Where were all the zombies when Big Daddy and his posse were cutting down the wooden walls to get to the green?

Well...I suppose you could count this as having few zombies. But I was under the impression that it was Big Daddy's gang. Those select few that were following his orders. They just opened the doors for the hundereds that would stumble upon it later.

Trin
20-May-2010, 02:54 PM
I personally couldn't care if the zombies were real actors, CGI zombies, or large stuffed animals with blood on their faces. I can pretend they're zombies if they look even close. I'm very forgiving on that.

The two shots there are great. But they don't make sense given what we saw around that. When Big Daddy storms the motor pool there are a couple dozen. When they "surround" Dead Reckoning on the bridge they weren't even 3 deep. The list of shots that depicts handfuls goes on and on. It's almost a continuity issue more than a scale issue.

But that's really kinda beside the point for me. My bigger problem with lack of zombies is the overall concept behind the situation. This is nearly the last human city, right? And there are no zombies around? "They don't much come around here any more."

Okay, fine, so this is some kind of statement about zombie intelligence like when the zombies in Day stopped coming to the pen doors "cause they know what Frankenstein is gonna do to them" but on a larger scale. I get that.

But does it work? I mean, if the zombies have lost interest why are we still trapped in this city? How does Kaufman keep control without the relentless fear of having zombies at the gates? If we never see more than one or two, and we've lapsed into this "ignoring the problem" mode, why do we have so many people at the electric fence? If we have people at an electric fence that is rarely challenged, why is the river completely unprotected?

As for the expectation of "epic" I know a lot of people attribute that to 20 years of built of expectations. But it's not that. The Land poster that hung outside the movie theater depicted a literal sea of zombies surrounding the last human city. It said, "The Legendary Filmmaker Brings You His Ultimate Zombie Masterpiece." All of that screams, "This movie should be BIGGER than anything previous. You're gonna see a LAND full of zombies." And then we see a group of people struggling to survive in a city that was never seriously at threat.

If it had said, "The Creator of the Moden Day Zombie Brings You the Next Chapter in Zombie Evolution," I think people would've been more satisfied.

DjfunkmasterG
20-May-2010, 03:22 PM
I personally couldn't care if the zombies were real actors, CGI zombies, or large stuffed animals with blood on their faces. I can pretend they're zombies if they look even close. I'm very forgiving on that.

The two shots there are great. But they don't make sense given what we saw around that. When Big Daddy storms the motor pool there are a couple dozen. When they "surround" Dead Reckoning on the bridge they weren't even 3 deep. The list of shots that depicts handfuls goes on and on. It's almost a continuity issue more than a scale issue.

But that's really kinda beside the point for me. My bigger problem with lack of zombies is the overall concept behind the situation. This is nearly the last human city, right? And there are no zombies around? "They don't much come around here any more."

Okay, fine, so this is some kind of statement about zombie intelligence like when the zombies in Day stopped coming to the pen doors "cause they know what Frankenstein is gonna do to them" but on a larger scale. I get that.

But does it work? I mean, if the zombies have lost interest why are we still trapped in this city? How does Kaufman keep control without the relentless fear of having zombies at the gates? If we never see more than one or two, and we've lapsed into this "ignoring the problem" mode, why do we have so many people at the electric fence? If we have people at an electric fence that is rarely challenged, why is the river completely unprotected?

As for the expectation of "epic" I know a lot of people attribute that to 20 years of built of expectations. But it's not that. The Land poster that hung outside the movie theater depicted a literal sea of zombies surrounding the last human city. It said, "The Legendary Filmmaker Brings You His Ultimate Zombie Masterpiece." All of that screams, "This movie should be BIGGER than anything previous. You're gonna see a LAND full of zombies." And then we see a group of people struggling to survive in a city that was never seriously at threat.

If it had said, "The Creator of the Moden Day Zombie Brings You the Next Chapter in Zombie Evolution," I think people would've been more satisfied.

The poster, title, and tagline were very misleading, but I don't think I would have been satisfied even with the suggested changes.

To Bassman and anyone else...

Has anyone here been to Uniontown, PA?

it isn't really as small as depicted in the movie, in fact the population is over 10K I believe, so out of 10K people there are only 12 zombies left and they joined up to be in the Big Bad Daddy posse? I call BS

Sorry Land was an EPIC failure of a small movie. I blame the producers more than anything.

Trin
20-May-2010, 05:10 PM
Has anyone here been to Uniontown, PA?

it isn't really as small as depicted in the movie, in fact the population is over 10K I believe, so out of 10K people there are only 12 zombies left and they joined up to be in the Big Bad Daddy posse? I call BS
I'm not sure if the real Uniontown should have any bearing on the discussion. On the one hand, if it was depicted as a smaller town then it should only have to make sense in those terms. On the other, anyone familiar with the location might draw different conclusions based on their foreknowledge.

Sorry Land was an EPIC failure of a small movie. I blame the producers more than anything.I wouldn't say it was an epic fail. I'd say it was a fail if it was trying to be epic.

I get where you're coming from, but personally I think the problems with land started well before a camera came into play. I think it didn't get any better once the film was rolling, but a better story would've made a better movie.

DjfunkmasterG
20-May-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm not sure if the real Uniontown should have any bearing on the discussion. On the one hand, if it was depicted as a smaller town then it should only have to make sense in those terms. On the other, anyone familiar with the location might draw different conclusions based on their foreknowledge.

I wouldn't say it was an epic fail. I'd say it was a fail if it was trying to be epic.

I get where you're coming from, but personally I think the problems with land started well before a camera came into play. I think it didn't get any better once the film was rolling, but a better story would've made a better movie.

I hear what you're saying but the script seemed so much better than what was put on the screen and I am talking about the Land of the Dead script, not Dead Reckoning script. I am just trying to figure out how you screw up a decent screenplay.

I guess from being on set and seeing how things worked I expected a lot more, but I also should have known there was trouble in paradise when the issue with the producer kept popping up every 20 seconds.

EvilNed
20-May-2010, 05:41 PM

To me, the town in the film actually seemed like a BIGGER town than a 10k town. So kudos to Land for that one. Sorry. Not seeing what you're getting at. Land was as epic as it set out to be, but that wasn't the point of the film. Not for me.

Also, the Producer and Unit production manager is never on set and they're the "Bad cops, bad cops" of the movie business. It'd be strange if you DIDN'T hear any major bitching about the producers.

LouCipherr
20-May-2010, 06:40 PM
For every picture of a "zombie horde" in Land, I could post 3 (or more) from Dawn04 that showed many, many more zombies than you ever see in Land. That's how you get the words 'zombie apocalypse' across. You show the world has gone to shit and why. The world is INFESTED with dead people. Where do you get that feeling in Land other than those 3 quick scenes?

Matter of fact, I think the 3 pics posted where the only three scenes where there were what I would consider a 'horde' of zombies in Land (10-15 zombies don't make a horde).

However, once again, we're picking on the 'epic' thing and the 'lack of decent amount of zombies' - and while I realize we hammered that point home quite a bit, i've said this at least 4 times already: we picked on a bunch of other stuff too. Why is no one questioning the fact that we thought Eugene Clark was a piss-poor choice for Big Daddy and a poor actor (at least in this film)? Why isn't anyone questioning our thoughts on the rest of the poor acting in the film? The aspect ratio chosen not being used to it's fullest potential? The poor directing? Poor choice of angles? The choice of filters and color scheme used by the DP?

Does this mean that the only thing everyone is disagreeing on with us is our "epic lack of zombies" comment? :stunned:

EvilNed
20-May-2010, 06:44 PM
Where do you get that feeling in Land other than those 3 quick scenes?

The opening planted it and set it up. The rest of the movie followed suit. I wasn't really looking for any epic hordes, and I was fully satisfied with the zombie content that we got.

Does this mean that the only thing everyone is disagreeing on with us is our "epic lack of zombies" comment? :stunned:

Truth be told, I haven't listened to the audio commentary, and am just posting here because I thought DJ made a rather funny and poor attack against Land because of it's title. :p

I won't listen to it either. Not out of disrespect, but from the get-go I wasn't very interested in hearing someone bitch over Land for the duration of the movie. I enjoy it. I'm sure you have a few good points, but so do I. Meh. Why waste my time. You catching my drift?

bassman
20-May-2010, 06:57 PM
I think everyone can agree the casting of BD was a big goof. As for the techincal stuff....i'm not that deep into film, so I can't really comment on lenses and such. The color scheme I actually enjoyed. The dark gray/blue tone to the whole film was great.

Ya know the problem with your commentary? It wasn't epic.:elol:

LouCipherr
20-May-2010, 07:11 PM
I won't listen to it either. Not out of disrespect, but from the get-go I wasn't very interested in hearing someone bitch over Land for the duration of the movie. I enjoy it. I'm sure you have a few good points, but so do I. Meh. Why waste my time. You catching my drift?

Ned, I completely understand. If you really enjoy a film, the last thing you wanna hear is people tear it apart.

In all fairness to Dj and myself, we did point out quite a few things we liked in it too, so rest assured, while it was quite a bit of a hate-fest, there were indeed some things we did like and were noted during the commentary. Matter of fact, MZ is the one that asked if we'd do that (talk about the things we did like), and while I razzed him for not doing the same for Dawn04 yet <ahem>, we still pointed out the things we liked. :D

Ya know the problem with your commentary? It wasn't epic.:elol:

lmmfao! That's it - next commentary, we're gonna skype in every single person from HPotD for an EPIC GROUP COMMENTARY! :lol: :D

EvilNed
20-May-2010, 08:28 PM
I think everyone can agree the casting of BD was a big goof.

Nope, not me. I think Eugene Clark definetly looks the part and plays the part well. I think the zombie BD itself is kinda poorly written, tho... Or rather, I disagree with the way he was written.

Trin
21-May-2010, 06:44 AM
I hear what you're saying but the script seemed so much better than what was put on the screen and I am talking about the Land of the Dead script, not Dead Reckoning script. I am just trying to figure out how you screw up a decent screenplay.
I agree with that. The script would lead you to believe there are more zombies than what we saw. In several scenes the actors are reacting as if there are more, and I think that jives with the script. Then you see it translate on screen and go... whu??

To me that still only gets you halfway there. The rest is couched in bad storytelling.

I think everyone can agree the casting of BD was a big goof. As for the techincal stuff....i'm not that deep into film, so I can't really comment on lenses and such. The color scheme I actually enjoyed. The dark gray/blue tone to the whole film was great.
I hate to say it, but the casting of BD didn't bug me. The role itself did, but as I've said a few times before, the whole BD angle didn't ruin the enjoyment for me. It would've been better had they spread out the zombie evolution a bit. Maybe let some of the others get the spark from his initial epiphany. But I thought he fit the part well and if he over-acted it, well there was a guy there who could've changed that.

I also enjoyed the dark gray/blue tone to the film. The whole atmosphere of Land was just fantastic to me. When I pop in Land it's mostly to get another glimpse into the zombie apocalypse well into it.

MinionZombie
21-May-2010, 10:04 AM
The Big Daddy character hasn't aged especially well ... or the performance hasn't ... or I don't know really. Was totally fine with BD in 2005, but each time I view the film (seen it a good ten times by now I'd think) I like BD a little less.

Over a few viewings in more recent years I've spotted things that annoy me, or niggle me, or lines of dialogue I'd have personally written differently which therefore annoys me a bit, or the odd bit of this or that that makes me go "*winces* hmmm..."

HOWEVER - while I started out as a Land Lover, I will always remain a Land Quite Liker.

While there's some dodgy CGI in the movie (the Priest Zombie), there's also some astonishingly good CGI (e.g. the wide shot of Riley and Charlie ascending the steps out of the subway and into the street later on in the movie - I thought that was a location, then I saw the greenscreen/CGI featurette on the DVD and it blew my fucking mind - there are many other moments in the movie with CGI as great as that - nice little touches here and there).

Yes, more zombies would have been nice ... indeed deep down it was one of the reasons I wrote my own zombie epic the way I did (I'm still waiting for Deej and Lou to have a gander at it out of interest...:sneaky::D ... it's first draft from a couple of years ago, so I'd change a lot of it now, but the foundation and basic content would remain).

Rather than get all into it again, I'll leave it at that - I'm a Land Quite Liker for life. I have problems with it that have presented themselves over the years, but I rather dig the vast majority of the movie.

And perhaps one day I will do a "What MZ *LIKES* About Yawn04 List" ... ... the mere suggestion alone is enough to plant a seed of pestering in my mind.

Heck, the aforementioned epic zombie script I wrote was simply because Deej said "you should turn this short script into a feature script" (it was a short zombie script, on which I also based "Signing Off") ... so the seed of pestering was planted and the 130 page script resulted.

LouCipherr
21-May-2010, 01:01 PM
The Big Daddy character hasn't aged especially well ... or the performance hasn't ... or I don't know really.

Hasn't "aged" well? It wasn't "well" the first time it was shown on screen. http://enderzero.net/smilies/duuuuh.gif :D

HOWEVER - while I started out as a Land Lover, I will always remain a Land Quite Liker.

...and the transition begins... albeit a bit late there, MZ. :lol:

And perhaps one day I will do a "What MZ *LIKES* About Yawn04 List" ... ... the mere suggestion alone is enough to plant a seed of pestering in my mind

This I'd be very interested to hear. Dj and I found and pointed out some cool stuff in Bland, it's just the 'overall presentation' that we didn't like. I'd be interested to hear about the things that you did indeed did about Dawn04. There has to be at least a handful of things.

bassman
21-May-2010, 01:06 PM
Hasn't "aged" well? It wasn't "well" the first time it was shown on screen. http://enderzero.net/smilies/duuuuh.gif :D

As if THIS was any better...

http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo292/Daverat1966/HORROR%20MOVIE%20IMAGES/3ce333ff.gif

Trin
21-May-2010, 02:00 PM
Over a few viewings in more recent years I've spotted things that annoy me, or niggle me, or lines of dialogue I'd have personally written differently which therefore annoys me a bit, or the odd bit of this or that that makes me go "*winces* hmmm..."

Before the Land Haters dive on this like the last cupcake at the birthday party shouting things like, "You see? Land ISN'T going to gain popularity over time!!!1!11!!", I'll throw on a balancing opinion. I like Land more now than I did back in 2005-2006. Like MZ, I want that taken in context. I don't think the movie has overcome its flaws. I just have learned to live with them better. And Diary/Survival made me appreciate Land more too.

Oh, and anytime I feel the need to like Dawn '04 all I have to do is remember zombie baby. I can watch the movie up to zombie baby. I can watch the movie after zombie baby. But I invariably switch channels during that scene. Thanks for the reminder Bass!!

LouCipherr
21-May-2010, 04:20 PM

DjfunkmasterG
21-May-2010, 04:24 PM

http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo292/Daverat1966/HORROR%20MOVIE%20IMAGES/3ce333ff.gif

Ummm,

at least DAWN 04 had the balls to SHOOT the baby. :elol:

LouCipherr
21-May-2010, 04:35 PM
Ummm,

This is true. Touche', DJ. :D

bassman
21-May-2010, 04:48 PM
at least DAWN 04 had the balls to SHOOT....

http://www.freewebs.com/roho911/Dawn%20of%20the%20Dead%20Remake%204.jpg

:rockbrow::shifty:

Trin
21-May-2010, 04:59 PM
Ummm,

That's a good point. The GAR equivalent might very well be zombie baby plus zombie mommy attempting to make a comment on society. Maybe zombie mommy puts zombie baby in front of Zombie Baby Einstein then complains when zombie baby doesn't know how to interact with other zombie babies as well as was promised.

MinionZombie
21-May-2010, 05:57 PM
Indeed, Trin. My comment should be taken in context. I was cock-a-hoop when Land first came out, and any flaws I now see with it weren't present. It's only after repeated viewings that things I do perceive to be flaws (nothing huge, I will note) present themselves to me ... ... plus Deej and Lou harping on about things in their commentary kinda says what I'd thought deep down (i.e. not enough zombies for 3 years in ... but that's about it in that respect of something they said that verbalised something that niggled me subconsciously).

I remain a Land Quite Liker ... sure my estimation of the movie has dipped a smidge, but it won't dip further, I can assure you all - so indeed, context, Land-haters. :D:p:D

DjfunkmasterG
21-May-2010, 06:25 PM
Niggled eh?

Can you describe NIGGLE? (I know what you mean but I wanted to bust your balls)

cause in the USA if any word that contains NIGG as the first four letters can get you in deep shit!

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

This is true. Touche', DJ. :D

http://www.freewebs.com/roho911/Dawn%20of%20the%20Dead%20Remake%204.jpg

:rockbrow::shifty:

May I also note... GAR didn't have the balls to let Fran shoot the nun in DAWN 78. If that was me, zombie or rabies infected lunatic whatever... the nun outfit means nothing if it is trying to kill me. I would have blown her head off.

bassman
21-May-2010, 06:27 PM
Meh....I personally like the message behind the nun/baseball player, Bub, and Big Daddy. What can I say? I'm a softy for peace and understanding.:p

Trin
21-May-2010, 08:30 PM
Indeed, Trin. My comment should be taken in context. I was cock-a-hoop when Land first came out, and any flaws I now see with it weren't present. It's only after repeated viewings that things I do perceive to be flaws (nothing huge, I will note) present themselves to me ... ... plus Deej and Lou harping on about things in their commentary kinda says what I'd thought deep down (i.e. not enough zombies for 3 years in ... but that's about it in that respect of something they said that verbalised something that niggled me subconsciously).

I remain a Land Quite Liker ... sure my estimation of the movie has dipped a smidge, but it won't dip further, I can assure you all - so indeed, context, Land-haters. :D:p:D
*talks to MZ's subconscious* the money issue niggles you

MinionZombie
21-May-2010, 09:22 PM
*talks to MZ's subconscious* the money issue niggles you
Actually the money thing never bothered me at all. Set up a mini economy - simples.

And as everyone comes from the world before zombies, then everyone understands the currency and the value of the notes, and indeed understand the mark-ups on the items (such as a bottle of Kentucky Burbon for $1,500 :sneaky: ... I believe that was the brand mentioned anyway.)

LouCipherr
21-May-2010, 11:01 PM

I wasn't taking you out of context. You said you were a lover of the film at first, and remain now a 'liker' - which, to me, means nothing more than you've seen a few flaws after multiple viewings over the years but still dig it.

My comment was more of a funny than anything, if that's what you were referring to. :D You just know we like to poke you with a stick when it comes to Bland. :lol: :p

Trin
22-May-2010, 01:22 AM
Actually the money thing never bothered me at all. Set up a mini economy - simples.
Do you hear the niggle in your voice? niggle, niggle, niggle... it says, "Why did Cholo want money after he was no longer welcome in Kaufman's stores?!?"

Give it a couple more years. :lol::p

My comment was more of a funny than anything, if that's what you were referring to. :D You just know we like to poke you with a stick when it comes to Bland. :lol: :p
I think he was reiterating my comment of wanting to be taken in context as very slightly supporting the opposing viewpoint.

DjfunkmasterG
22-May-2010, 06:03 AM

Yeah MZ... its kind of like playing with Roadkill as a kid. You poke at it hoping it jumps up and scares the shit out of you.

:p

Now where is my stick

MinionZombie
22-May-2010, 10:03 AM
I wasn't taking you out of context. You said you were a lover of the film at first, and remain now a 'liker' - which, to me, means nothing more than you've seen a few flaws after multiple viewings over the years but still dig it.

Just wanted to future-proof myself in case any of you folks supping on the Land Haterade wanting to poke me with the annoying stick. :D Just wanted to make my position clear ... and I'm a Land Quite Liker too ... there's a difference, it's higher than simply Liker. :sneaky:

DjfunkmasterG
22-May-2010, 03:43 PM
Just wanted to future-proof myself in case any of you folks supping on the Land Haterade wanting to poke me with the annoying stick. :D Just wanted to make my position clear ... and I'm a Land Quite Liker too ... there's a difference, it's higher than simply Liker. :sneaky:

So what you're saying is you are still in the bottom 1% of folks who like LAND? :p

MinionZombie
22-May-2010, 04:12 PM
So what you're saying is you are still in the bottom 1% of folks who like LAND? :p
How does that even work? :confused:

There's "Liker" and above that is "Quite Liker" and above that is "Lover". I dipped from "Lover" to "Quite Liker" in recent years, but that's as far as I'll dip. Interestingly my estimations of Diary have been all over the place, but have been growing in recent years, but I'm still generally "meh" about Diary.

Survival, though, I really rather dig ... and a second viewing cemented my opinion. Any flaws I found with it I saw immediately, so my reaction is much more even-keel, if that makes sense.

rongravy
22-May-2010, 04:42 PM
Do Night of the Creeps. Aliens, zombies, homicidal ax wielding maniacs, sarority gals? How can you go wrong?

DjfunkmasterG
22-May-2010, 08:06 PM
How does that even work? :confused:

There's "Liker" and above that is "Quite Liker" and above that is "Lover". I dipped from "Lover" to "Quite Liker" in recent years, but that's as far as I'll dip. Interestingly my estimations of Diary have been all over the place, but have been growing in recent years, but I'm still generally "meh" about Diary.

Survival, though, I really rather dig ... and a second viewing cemented my opinion. Any flaws I found with it I saw immediately, so my reaction is much more even-keel, if that makes sense.

You can like it, Love it, don't care for it or hate it. I don't think Quite Liker is even allowed with the category.

So we will say you rather enjoy Land, but don't love it. :D

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

Do Night of the Creeps. Aliens, zombies, homicidal ax wielding maniacs, sarority gals? How can you go wrong?

I would love too, but to be honest it would just be a 90 minute giggle fest. No matter how many times I watch that movie I never get bored and would have nothing to say because I would be speechless from laughter.

Trin
22-May-2010, 09:47 PM
Survival, though, I really rather dig ... and a second viewing cemented my opinion. Any flaws I found with it I saw immediately, so my reaction is much more even-keel, if that makes sense.So your recent epiphany with Land didn't teach you anything?

DjfunkmasterG
22-May-2010, 10:30 PM
So your recent epiphany with Land didn't teach you anything?

Yeah... that he is a quite liker and not a lover.

EvilNed
22-May-2010, 10:33 PM
Yeah... that he is a quite liker and not a lover.

Is there something funny attached to the term "quite like" that I'm not aware off? Why are you repeating it so much?

major jay
22-May-2010, 10:54 PM
This is the first time I've enjoyed watching this movie. :) And you're right it does stink, but there were some good special effects.

MinionZombie
23-May-2010, 09:54 AM
Is there something funny attached to the term "quite like" that I'm not aware off? Why are you repeating it so much?
He just can't accept that I have a scale of movie appreciation for Land that doesn't fit his own model. :sneaky:

As for Survival, as I said, any flaws it has I saw immediately - for instance I really wasn't too sure about the flick at the very beginning, but I slowly got into it, and it even made me laugh out loud more than once and was a fun-as-hell time. In my mind it only had to compete with the other Toronto-era GAR flicks and nothing more.

So what I'm saying is, my opinion of Survival shouldn't be any where near as tumultuous as with Diary, nor should it slip down a couple of rungs on the 'ladder of love' like Land has done over time (I flat-out loved Land when I first saw it, so it was only over time that the problems I find to be problems began to present themselves to me).

Deej though seems to be acting like an opposition party politician, trying to make more of my perfectly reasonable and explained comment than there is. :elol: Playin' silly buggers...:D

DjfunkmasterG
23-May-2010, 02:03 PM
I am just goofing around because MZ is cool to take it on the cuff like that. Some people need to learn from MZ and lighten up. :D

MinionZombie
23-May-2010, 03:28 PM
I am just goofing around because MZ is cool to take it on the cuff like that. Some people need to learn from MZ and lighten up. :D
Deej is always bustin' balls and talking smack, so it's kinda part of the package. :p:sneaky:

DjfunkmasterG
23-May-2010, 05:21 PM
Deej is always bustin' balls and talking smack, so it's kinda part of the package. :p:sneaky:

BINGO! Give that man a CEE-GAR! :lol:

rongravy
23-May-2010, 06:18 PM
I would love too, but to be honest it would just be a 90 minute giggle fest. No matter how many times I watch that movie I never get bored and would have nothing to say because I would be speechless from laughter.
I still answer my phone like the detective...
"Thrill me."
Wait, explain gigglefest. Are you saying it sucked? I think that movie is all around one of the best ever made. Love the camp, love it all. Very feel good...

DjfunkmasterG
24-May-2010, 01:37 PM
Oh by no means do I thin Night of the Creeps sucked. It is one of my all time favorite B movies. I consider that and Chopping Mall to be my all time favorite goofy horror flicks, and casting Tom Atkins in Creeps was friggin brilliant. He made the movie.

Det. Camero: Thrill me!

Desk officer: Det Cameron???

Det Cameron: No, Bozo the clown!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Trin
24-May-2010, 01:44 PM
I think I might have made it up to "don't quite dislike" Land myself. And I quite like the idea of liking Land more than I used to. They need to release an anti-director's cut that takes out the river crossing - the zombies literally just appear on the other side as if by magic - and replace any monetary reference that Cholo makes with a food reference. "I want you to give me my ... packages of food ... that are in your bank, plus all the other ... food rations ... that you have."

I don't think Survival lends itself to first impression becoming long-time opinions, personally. The movie has a lot of layers of plot and commentary. I think repeated viewings over a period of time might tend to expose aspects that hadn't been noticed or considered previously. Notice I didn't say "flaws." There are subtle things about it that might tend to make someone like it more over time. Or less. It's just not super cut-and-dried like the others.

DjfunkmasterG
24-May-2010, 01:47 PM
On Fan-edit.org someone made a LAND re-cut that removes a lot of the crap that drags the movie down. It also only runs 54 minutes, but it made it more enjoyable for me especially the removal of Big Daddy. :D

bassman
24-May-2010, 01:52 PM
Say what you will about the character or performance....but I just don't see how the movie could play with all of his scenes cut out.:confused:

DjfunkmasterG
24-May-2010, 02:09 PM
Say what you will about the character or performance....but I just don't see how the movie could play with all of his scenes cut out.:confused:

I should re=phrase that.

His over the top... I AM AN ANGRY OPPRESSED ZOMBIE scenes were cut, he still does appear, but not in the smart zombie looking really stupid and dragging down a potentially decnet zombie flick sort of way.

LouCipherr
24-May-2010, 02:49 PM
Just wanted to future-proof myself in case any of you folks supping on the Land Haterade wanting to poke me with the annoying stick. :D

*grabs annoying stick and pokes MZ*

You mean like that?

*poke* *poke*

Trin
24-May-2010, 03:13 PM
Oh by no means do I thin Night of the Creeps sucked. It is one of my all time favorite B movies. I consider that and Chopping Mall to be my all time favorite goofy horror flicks
Chopping Mall is cinematic goodness.

So many great ones...
Bad Taste
Killer Clowns from Outer Space
Student Bodies
Bubba Ho-Tep, of course

DjfunkmasterG
24-May-2010, 03:29 PM
*grabs annoying stick and pokes MZ*

You mean like that?

*poke* *poke*

Hey, friends share... Give me that stick.

Hey MZ

*POKE* *POKE*

:evil::lol::hyper:

LouCipherr
25-May-2010, 12:38 PM
*poke*

Apparenty our stick isn't sharp enough, Dj. Got a pocket knife I can borrow? :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
25-May-2010, 01:25 PM
*poke*

Apparenty our stick isn't sharp enough, Dj. Got a pocket knife I can borrow? :lol:

I have a samurai sword. Will that work? :D:evil::lol::elol:

-- -------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

Chopping Mall is cinematic goodness.

So many great ones...
Bad Taste
Killer Clowns from Outer Space
Student Bodies
Bubba Ho-Tep, of course

Chopping Mall is great stuff, as is Bubba Ho-Tep.

Can't comment on the others because I have only watched them once each and nothing really stuck with me out of the viewing.

MinionZombie
25-May-2010, 01:35 PM
Nevermind all this poking ... re-recorded the Tremors love fest'tary yet? :D

I can poke too. :elol:

Trin
25-May-2010, 01:44 PM
Can't comment on the others because I have only watched them once each and nothing really stuck with me out of the viewing.
You need to take a run at Bad Taste then. It was created by Peter Jackson, who as we all know, went on to make Lord of the Rings. It's just one long ridiculous romp.

DjfunkmasterG
25-May-2010, 01:46 PM
---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

[/COLOR]
You need to take a run at Bad Taste then. It was created by Peter Jackson, who as we all know, went on to make Lord of the Rings. It's just one long ridiculous romp.

I like Dead-Alive aka Brain Dead, and The Frighteners, but otherwise I am not a Peter Jackson fan. Although I may give Bad Taste another looksie

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

Nope... and with a US holiday weekend upon us and my film fest committments this weekend, and Lou's Plans this weekend, it most likely won't happen until June 4/5 or June 11/12 at the earliest.

Plus I may have to sue George Romero for copyright infringement. Which will keep me busy (it seems his Blu-Ray release of Survival calls itself Ultimate UNDEAD EDITION and my HD DVD for Deadlands 2 was known as the UNDEAD Edition since August 2009)

LOL J/K of course on suing uncle George. :p

LouCipherr
25-May-2010, 01:56 PM

Lol, no, like Dj said, my schedule is a bit out of whack due to the memorial day holiday weekend this weekend. We'll get it done the first or 2nd weekend in June, don't worry. :D

*poke*

I like Dead-Alive aka Brain Dead, and The Frighteners, but otherwise I am not a Peter Jackson fan. Although I may give Bad Taste another looksie

Oh dear GOD no! I've seen both Bad Taste and Dead-Alive, and lets put it this way - I've only seen Bad Taste once, and the copy I had of Dead-Alive that my mother-in-law gave me one year for my b-day? Well, Dj has it now because I couldn't give it away fast enough.

How he went from making movies like that to Lord of the Rings is beyond me. The only Peter Jackson flick I like is The Frighteners.

Oh, I did like his cameo in Hot Fuzz, even if it was just for a few seconds. :lol:

bassman
25-May-2010, 02:03 PM
How he went from making movies like that to Lord of the Rings is beyond me. The only Peter Jackson flick I like is The Frighteners.

WORD. Jackson's best flick yet, imo. Highly underrated. I love everything about this movie.

Those walking fairy flicks can go fuck themselves. His King Kong was decent, though. Definitely better than the 78(?) version...

LouCipherr
25-May-2010, 02:08 PM
[SIZE=1]Plus I may have to sue George Romero for copyright infringement. Which will keep me busy (it seems his Blu-Ray release of Survival calls itself Ultimate UNDEAD EDITION and my HD DVD for Deadlands 2 was known as the UNDEAD Edition since August 2009)

LOL J/K of course on suing uncle George. :p

Was I not the one who said the poster looked like a direct ripoff of the DL2 poster? Zombie chick and all? Now this "undead edition"? Me thinks someone is watching you closely. :evil:

WORD. Jackson's best flick yet, imo. Highly underrated. I love everything about this flick.

Those walking fairy flicks can go fuck themselves. His King Kong was decent, though. Definitely better than the 78(?) version...

"Michael J Fox was the BOMB in Frighteners..." "Word, bitch. Frighteners like a motherfucker!" *virtual high-five*

The problem I had with King Kong was the length. 3 hours was WAY too much. Spend 20 minutes on the boat, 20 minutes on the island, then give KK a hour to rip new york city to shit. Movie over in under 2 hours. Done. :D

MinionZombie
25-May-2010, 05:35 PM
*joins in on the M J Fox high five festival*

I love The Frighteners. I also love Jackson's earlier work, and his huge budget epic work. I rather enjoyed his King Kong - a big, blubbery, good-looking epic. I found myself charging through it quite well. I assumed the running time would drag, but amazingly me and my Dad charged through it in one evening (we had been going to spread it out over two nights, but it flew by nicely).

Bad Taste, while I've only seen it once, is proper indie filmmaking and good stuff. Meet The Feebles, which followed, is a creepy-ass movie in one way, and nutso in another ... I've seen that twice now. Braindead aka Dead Alive is an utter gore classic - how anyone can't dig that movie is beyond me - I've seen it multiple times.

Never saw the one he did with Kate Winslet and that chick from Two And A Half Men, one day perhaps ... The Frighteners, which I've also seen many times, is tip-top fun.

Then, yes, The Lord of the Rings. I've seen each movie at least twice, or even three times, and have the extended 4-disc DVD packages for each flick. Haven't seen then in a long old while, but when I'm feeling the vibe again I'll dig them out. Amazing how the first is almost a decade old!

LouCipherr
25-May-2010, 05:44 PM
psssst, hey, MZ... found a smiley for ya: http://enderzero.net/smilies/poke.gif

Yeah, The Frighteners is one of those movies I always stop on if I'm flipping the channels and come across it. There's just something so entertaining about that flick.. I think some of it has to do with R. Lee Ermey too.. love that dude.

"There's a piece of dirt up here with your name on it, Bannister! I'm waitin' for you, you little maggot! " :lol:

Trin
25-May-2010, 06:29 PM
Bad Taste is a hard core stupid, ridiculous to the extreme, and utterly hilarious horrible movie. And anyone who disagrees is wrong, flat out, opinions be damned. . :)

Talk about quotable...
"I'm a Derek. Derek's don't run."
<standing in a kitchen covered with blood, mop in hand> "Someone could get killed in here."
<after having to eat alien vomit, while his friend spyed> "You won't believe what I had to do" - "Did you have to eat a bowl of chuck?"
<after killing a sheep with a bazooka> "And I've got another one"

*sigh* You'd have to see it...

But, that said, Frighteners is the bomb. That movie was fantastic. Part horror, part comedy, part romance, part action/adventure... it's really kinda hard to classify. And it did justice in every aspect. And Marty McFly was wonderful in it.

DjfunkmasterG
25-May-2010, 07:17 PM
psssst, hey, MZ... found a smiley for ya: http://enderzero.net/smilies/poke.gif :lol:

YAY!, More stick poking fun.

LouCipherr
26-May-2010, 05:32 PM
YAY!, More stick poking fun.

There's always this one too:

http://enderzero.net/smilies/smack.gif

DjfunkmasterG
27-May-2010, 12:48 PM
There's always this one too:

http://enderzero.net/smilies/smack.gif

http://www.uruobsession.com/forum/html/emoticons/Smiley_Poke.gif

Poking is fun :D
We need a rolled up newspaper smiley... so you can virtually smack someone on the nose and says Bad, Bad, Bad!

LouCipherr
28-May-2010, 12:19 PM
http://www.uruobsession.com/forum/html/emoticons/Smiley_Poke.gif

Poking is fun :D
We need a rolled up newspaper smiley... so you can virtually smack someone on the nose and says Bad, Bad, Bad!

Oh, if only.. :lol: