PDA

View Full Version : World War Z News!

Skippy911sc
22-Apr-2010, 05:44 PM
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/16964/brooks-talks-world-war-z-progress

There's several zombie films in the works right now but none of them have anything close to the potential promise of "World War Z" based on Max Brooks’s best-seller.

However there was fear that the project had become stalled in development in recent months and may not make it into production after all. Not so says the author.

“Paramount just renewed the option for World War Z, for half the time and twice the money, so that might signal interest” said Brooks in a recent interview with Fear.Net (via Sci-Fi TV. So where does it stand right now? "We still got our director, Marc Forster, who's raring to go. Were all waiting on Matt Carnahan's new draft, which should come in a month or so.”

Brooks says part of the hesitancy is the expense in portraying a global apocalypse - “You can't do a cheap and dirty World War Z. It's a world war, and I think that makes studio executives nervous. I think it limits its options, so that's running against it.”

The more I hear about this the better I like it. I hope they do spend the dough to make a great movie!!

AcesandEights
22-Apr-2010, 05:57 PM
“Paramount just renewed the option for World War Z, for half the time and twice the money, so that might signal interest” said Brooks...

Best news I've heard all...afternoon (got some really good news this morning), but this is the best zombie news I've had all week!

darth los
22-Apr-2010, 06:05 PM
You know, I really hope that this is truly epic. The genre sorely needs it and the master is apparently incapable of delivering that.

Last night i saw a film set in the old west with Chris Catan in it for christ's sake!

Zombies are in danger of becoming comical fodder for slapstick humor (Zombieland, great flick tho but not what i consider a zombie movie, ok maybe that was a bad example but you get my drift).

There needs to be a serious foray in this, perhaps a trilogy that breathes new life into it because truthfully everyone that comes out now days is total crap. (forgive if a couple slipped my mind)

:cool:

DjfunkmasterG
22-Apr-2010, 06:35 PM
I remember reading a production blog about WWZ and I think it was the director that said Paramount is nervous because the film was budgeted out at $100,000,000+ which they felt was to risky for an R-rated zombie film.

LouCipherr
22-Apr-2010, 07:15 PM
You know, I really hope that this is truly epic. The genre sorely needs it and the master is apparently incapable of delivering that.

This. :D

bassman
22-Apr-2010, 07:23 PM
Glad to hear it's still rolling along and I like Forster's work.......

BUT....The Walking Dead is my numero uno upcoming dead adventure.:cool:

Trin
22-Apr-2010, 07:34 PM
“You can't do a cheap and dirty World War Z. It's a world war, and I think that makes studio executives nervous. I think it limits its options, so that's running against it.”
Yeah, cause making a world encompassing movie is sooo hard.

*cough* 2012 *cough

Or is it hard to make a world movie WITH plot?

darth los
22-Apr-2010, 07:58 PM
Or is it hard to make a world movie WITH plot?

Sadly that's probably the case.

We live in an ADHD age.

If the original dawn were released today it would be a colossal flop. Just think about that.

Neil
22-Apr-2010, 08:27 PM
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/16964/brooks-talks-world-war-z-progress

There's several zombie films in the works right now but none of them have anything close to the potential promise of "World War Z" based on Max Brooks’s best-seller.

However there was fear that the project had become stalled in development in recent months and may not make it into production after all. Not so says the author.

“Paramount just renewed the option for World War Z, for half the time and twice the money, so that might signal interest” said Brooks in a recent interview with Fear.Net (via Sci-Fi TV. So where does it stand right now? "We still got our director, Marc Forster, who's raring to go. Were all waiting on Matt Carnahan's new draft, which should come in a month or so.”

Brooks says part of the hesitancy is the expense in portraying a global apocalypse - “You can't do a cheap and dirty World War Z. It's a world war, and I think that makes studio executives nervous. I think it limits its options, so that's running against it.”

The more I hear about this the better I like it. I hope they do spend the dough to make a great movie!!

Fingers crossed!!

DubiousComforts
22-Apr-2010, 08:39 PM
Too bad that nobody will give Romero the same budget bestowed upon on latecomers like Zack the Hack so then you'd know exactly what he's actually capable of delivering.

And I'm not so certain the genre is in "need" of anything. It just is.

kidgloves
22-Apr-2010, 08:50 PM
Great news. Take your time gentlemen. No need to rush this one:cool:

DjfunkmasterG
23-Apr-2010, 12:12 AM
Too bad that nobody will give Romero the same budget bestowed upon on latecomers like Zack the Hack so then you'd know exactly what he's actually capable of delivering.

And I'm not so certain the genre is in "need" of anything. It just is.

Zack had $22,000,000 to make the DAWN remake. Romero got $18,000,000 to do Land. While $4,000,000 may seem like a lot it is not. Zack made the better movie with about the same amount of money.

If Romero can make Day look as great as it does for $3,000,000 and make DAWN looks as awesome as it does for $500K, why couldn't he outshine Zack Snyder with less money. Romero has always been known as the director that knows how to stretch every dollar... one of the traits I use as a filmmaker, something I learned from George, yet in this instance his long awaited film turned into a disaster.

I wanna know what happened to the Romero from Night Dawn and Day. The one who got me into the genre and made me immerse myself into his world.

Granted I am much older now, and things change, but I never expected it to change so drastically he is regulated to DTV work with the amount of cheese found ina sci-fi flick.

DubiousComforts
23-Apr-2010, 12:36 AM
Zack made the better movie with about the same amount of money.

If Romero can make Day look as great as it does for $3,000,000 and make DAWN looks as awesome as it does for $500K, why couldn't he outshine Zack Snyder with less money.
Quit being so dense. Romero did outshine Zack the Hack with less money when making the same movie in a mall setting.

The DAWN remake is hardly "epic" in any way, shape or form. The mall scenes look like made-for-TV fare with just a handful of actors.

Let's see Zack the Hack do LAND with $18,000,000.

I wanna know what happened to the Romero from Night Dawn and Day. The one who got me into the genre and made me immerse myself into his world.
I'll tell you exactly what happened to him: he's now making movies with people from Zack the Hack's generation i.e. people that have no idea about the craft of actually making films. They sit behind computers all day and push buttons.

What you should be asking is where's Michael Gornick, where's Tom Savini, where's John Harrison, et al?

Ghost Of War
23-Apr-2010, 07:28 AM
Glad to hear it's still rolling along and I like Forster's work.......

BUT....The Walking Dead is my numero uno upcoming dead adventure.:cool:

And if The Walking Dead is the success that it hopefully will be, maybe the studio execs will jump on the bandwagon and throw money at WWZ. Fingers crossed for both, because if done right, WWZ could be what we've all been waiting for since Day Of The Dead.

DjfunkmasterG
23-Apr-2010, 09:56 AM
Quit being so dense. Romero did outshine Zack the Hack with less money when making the same movie in a mall setting.

The DAWN remake is hardly "epic" in any way, shape or form. The mall scenes look like made-for-TV fare with just a handful of actors.

I'll tell you exactly what happened to him: he's now making movies with people from Zack the Hack's generation i.e. people that have no idea about the craft of actually making films. They sit behind computers all day and push buttons.

What you should be asking is where's Michael Gornick, where's Tom Savini, where's John Harrison, et al?

First off lets not compare 30 years ago with today. And don't call me dense because I understand the entire process of what does need to occur. My whole point is that if Romero was good with lower budgets 30 years ago there should be no reason why he couldn't be as good with them today.

I read the LOTD script before the film went into production and what was on paper was a hell of a lot better than what ended up on screen. Hell I will go bold as to say my film, Deadlands 2 is better than Land of the Dead, and way more fucking epic and I only spent $6,000.00

Survival is even better than LAND, not by much, but it is better.

Don't use the excuse that Romero is working with Zack Snyder generation film crew. He is the director, he should be able to convey his vision to the crew and they should be able to execute his vision.

I would like to know what happened to Mike Gornick, because I think Mike would have been a better cinematographer than Miroslaw. The Cinematography in LAND is horrible, and if you wanna call the DAWN remake a made for TV movie... then LAND is made for SYFY. LAND had absolutely no business being released in theaters. PERIOD! That film is such a mess, so corny, so completely and utterly stupid, it should be ashamed to call it self a DEAD film.

MinionZombie
23-Apr-2010, 10:17 AM
Hopefully it gets made - with shamblers - I'm not having my WWZ turned into another raptor-zombie dose of nonsense.

darth los
23-Apr-2010, 04:19 PM
And if The Walking Dead is the success that it hopefully will be, maybe the studio execs will jump on the bandwagon and throw money at WWZ. Fingers crossed for both, because if done right, WWZ could be what we've all been waiting for since Day Of The Dead.

One unforseen consequense of that could be that george will lose the status as the godfather of the genre he created, which I'm not so sure is a bad thing.

The man has had 25 years to pruduce and nothing. Perhaps it's time for new blood anyway. Here's to hoping for that.

BillyRay
23-Apr-2010, 04:28 PM
Hopefully it gets made - with shamblers - I'm not having my WWZ turned into another raptor-zombie dose of nonsense.

I wouldn't sweat it. Max Brooks seems to have a degree of control over how his book is executed.

And in his (paraphrased) words: "Shambling zombies are backed up by biology and human physiology. And running zombies just suck."

darth los
23-Apr-2010, 04:32 PM
I wouldn't sweat it. Max Brooks seems to have a degree of control over how his book is executed.

And in his (paraphrased) words: "Shambling zombies are backed up by biology and human physiology. And running zombies just suck."

He and MZ must drink the same brand of haterade. :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
23-Apr-2010, 04:41 PM

Well... then I will apply for the directors job, you know to keep costs down, and I will throw in ZS runners, and ROTLD talkers... and just everything to make your skin crawl. :elol:

sandrock74
23-Apr-2010, 04:48 PM

When the man is right, he's right ;)

MinionZombie
23-Apr-2010, 05:34 PM
He and MZ must drink the same brand of haterade. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: Love it. :D

Well... then I will apply for the directors job, you know to keep costs down, and I will throw in ZS runners, and ROTLD talkers... and just everything to make your skin crawl. :elol:

And then you'd get lynched by el fanbase. :shifty:

Sounds like a man with his head screwed on. :cool:

ProfessorChaos
23-Apr-2010, 06:05 PM

no offense, dj, but i would then begin a petition to get you banned (from this website and the planet, if possible) for fucking up what could possibly be the best zombie film since day of the dead.

and if mr. brooks has any say-so, i highly doubt we'll see runners.

darth los
23-Apr-2010, 06:10 PM
no offense, dj, but i would then begin a petition to get you banned (from this website and the planet, if possible) for fucking up what could possibly be the best zombie film since day of the dead.

and if mr. brooks has any say-so, i highly doubt we'll see runners.

That he won't have any say so but you can bet the studio will have the FINAL say.

It all hinges on whether he can convince the studios that a serious movie with shamblers will be as if not more profitable than a popcorn flick with runners. It's pretty much as simple as that.

ProfessorChaos
23-Apr-2010, 06:14 PM
seems to me that if it's his intellectual property, he should be able to ensure that certain criteria are met. i know that if i was him and the studio even mentioned running zombies, i'd tell them to shut the fuck up and if they ever mentioned that concept again i'd take my baby to another studio that cares less about profits and more about the product.

DjfunkmasterG
23-Apr-2010, 06:21 PM
If it is in his contract, but I doubt that it is. Since Paramount, not him... will be putting up the money, if they want runners they would get runners.

Trin
23-Apr-2010, 06:25 PM

The amount of money, the crew, none of that made the plot in Land stupid and uninteresting. None of that made the setup flawed and the zombie evolution ridiculous. None of that introduced all the WTF moments that we argue about incessantly around here. All the flaws in Land were introduced before the first check was written and the first paycheck cut. How much would Land have been better if they'd spent $500 on some guy to go through the script and say, "That's stupid. That's implausible. Seriously? That?"

Dawn '04 was no better, mind you. They both sucked for largely the same reasons. Both sucked before the first camera was rolling.

I read the LOTD script before the film went into production and what was on paper was a hell of a lot better than what ended up on screen.
You know, I agree with that. The LOTD script (at least the one floating around the net available to us non-film guys) was better than what made it to the screen. For a long list of reasons. But ... it still SUCKED!!

Any moron can read that script and ask a few simple questions and derail the entire plot. Again, no amount of money fixes that once the cameras are rolling. And it would take a paltry amount of money to identify the problems before.

We can all just hope that WWZ doesn't go for the flashbang of special effects and explosions and concentrates on what made it a great and beloved book.

MinionZombie
24-Apr-2010, 11:13 AM
If it is in his contract, but I doubt that it is. Since Paramount, not him... will be putting up the money, if they want runners they would get runners.
And in such an instance they can go fuck themselves. Adapt the book, not thumb-in Yawn04.

EvilNed
24-Apr-2010, 11:53 AM

You never know. There have been some strange contracts out there. Let's face it, I doubt Max Brooks never thought of this situation, and might actually have put that in there just to make sure.

Neil
22-Jul-2010, 07:55 AM
Seems Mr Pitt may star in the film...

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Brad-Pitt-Finally-Ready-To-Fight-World-War-Z-s-Zombies-19729.html

clanglee
22-Jul-2010, 08:10 AM

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Brad-Pitt-Finally-Ready-To-Fight-World-War-Z-s-Zombies-19729.html

Well f*ck me in the a$$ and call me Nancy Drew!!! Seriously?!?!? This is finally moving along?!?!? And with Brad Pitt starring? With him in, the movie will definitely get the budget it needs. Holy fuck!!

Ghost Of War
22-Jul-2010, 08:27 AM
Christ, with this and The Walking Dead, I might just explode with zombie related excitement.

Publius
22-Jul-2010, 09:31 AM
Well f*ck me in the a$$ and call me Nancy Drew!!! Seriously?!?!? This is finally moving along?!?!? And with Brad Pitt starring? With him in, the movie will definitely get the budget it needs. Holy fuck!!

That seems like good news. He seems to generally go for movies with a degree of thoughtfulness and seriousness.

Doc
22-Jul-2010, 09:40 AM
http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/8/22/633549635047141875-AwesomeHighFiveMotivator.jpg

Christ, with this and The Walking Dead, I might just explode with zombie related excitement.

Indeed! My zombiefandom has been pretty low lately, but with this and 'The Walking Dead' getting closer to release date yeah, it's simply fabulous!:D

MinionZombie
22-Jul-2010, 09:58 AM

Pretty nifty. A project like this needs heavy hitters behind it to get it past the studio suits. For example, the wonderful "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" - there were several big names behind that, such as Pitt, but also the Scott brothers, and a couple of others - the movie flopped in terms of box office, but it's a superb film.

World War Z would have a wider appeal I'm sure, but as I said, it's the sort of property that needs to be done properly, and for that it'll require some heavy hitters behind it swaying their box office mojo-shaped clout around.

Good news.

Neil
22-Jul-2010, 10:04 AM
Pretty nifty. A project like this needs heavy hitters behind it to get it past the studio suits. For example, the wonderful "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" - there were several big names behind that, such as Pitt, but also the Scott brothers, and a couple of others - the movie flopped in terms of box office, but it's a superb film.

World War Z would have a wider appeal I'm sure, but as I said, it's the sort of property that needs to be done properly, and for that it'll require some heavy hitters behind it swaying their box office mojo-shaped clout around.

Good news.

I'm still skeptical about them managing to get the $100m plus budget this film would probably required though :(

Ghost Of War
22-Jul-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm still skeptical about them managing to get the $100m plus budget this film would probably required though :(

Very good point. But, as I've said in the The Walking Dead thread, if the AMC show is as successful as it WILL be, WWZ would have no problem riding on the wave of TWD's success. Couple that with names like Brad Pitt on board, and I reckon it's a winner. They'd be daft not to throw money at it.

EDukes
22-Jul-2010, 10:42 AM
I thought this project burned out. Glad Walking Dead had some back-up gas to throw on fire!

Neil
22-Jul-2010, 11:10 AM
Very good point. But, as I've said in the The Walking Dead thread, if the AMC show is as successful as it WILL be, WWZ would have no problem riding on the wave of TWD's success. Couple that with names like Brad Pitt on board, and I reckon it's a winner. They'd be daft not to throw money at it.

Of course the style/nature of the book - lots of different stories - would lend itself to an extra story or two on the DVD/blu-ray. ie: Extra footage (stories) only on the DVD/blu-ray. Certainly would help sales, assuming the film was reasonably good.

MinionZombie
22-Jul-2010, 01:02 PM
Well the movie will naturally cover the most important stuff in order to make a film narrative out of it all - but they could certainly do "motion comics" for a couple of stories that would inevitably be left out, but which were great stories. That'd be a relatively cheap way to do it for extra content for the DVD outside of traditional deleted scenes (which would be stuff that was, of course, originally intended to be in the movie from the-off).

As for the budget, no idea how much it would cost them to make the film - they won't be making the book as-is, naturally, and I'm sure some things will be condensed or re-jigged or whatnot, but it'll certainly require a good old slab of cash to bring to the screen.

Interesting in the article they focus on 'the first zombie movie to get an A-List star' ... and while that may be the case here, the real thing of importance for genre fans is 'the first zombie movie to provide huge scope' ... we've had epic scope in words for a long time now, but a true zombie EPIC has so far evaded us.

Here's hoping that with Pitt (and possibly other big hitters) getting involved, and with TWD in full-swing, our dreams will be realised ... with shamblers to boot!

Neil
22-Jul-2010, 01:05 PM
Well the movie will naturally cover the most important stuff in order to make a film narrative out of it all - but they could certainly do "motion comics" for a couple of stories that would inevitably be left out, but which were great stories. That'd be a relatively cheap way to do it for extra content for the DVD outside of traditional deleted scenes (which would be stuff that was, of course, originally intended to be in the movie from the-off).

As for the budget, no idea how much it would cost them to make the film - they won't be making the book as-is, naturally, and I'm sure some things will be condensed or re-jigged or whatnot, but it'll certainly require a good old slab of cash to bring to the screen.

Interesting in the article they focus on 'the first zombie movie to get an A-List star' ... and while that may be the case here, the real thing of importance for genre fans is 'the first zombie movie to provide huge scope' ... we've had epic scope in words for a long time now, but a true zombie EPIC has so far evaded us.

Here's hoping that with Pitt (and possibly other big hitters) getting involved, and with TWD in full-swing, our dreams will be realised ... with shamblers to boot!

Let's hope they bring us Dawn of the Dead/Day of the Dead bleakness!!

MinionZombie
22-Jul-2010, 01:19 PM
Let's hope they bring us Dawn of the Dead/Day of the Dead bleakness!!
Speaking of bleak, can you imagine a zombie movie as bleak as The Road? It'd no doubt be a great film, but it'd be bleak as all get-out. :p

DEAD BEAT
22-Jul-2010, 03:26 PM
oh god...Brad Pitt to star in this? i better clear the shelf for yet another shitty zombie dvd....:annoyed::dead:

Mike70
22-Jul-2010, 03:32 PM
will this film ever get off the ground or is it nothing but another keyboard masturbation exercise.

bassman
22-Jul-2010, 03:34 PM
will this film ever get off the ground or is it nothing but another keyboard masturbation exercise.

dude....HPotD is nothing but keyboard masturbation. You haven't figured this out yet?:p

EDukes
22-Jul-2010, 03:36 PM
oh god...Brad Pitt to star in this? i better clear the shelf for yet another shitty zombie dvd....:annoyed::dead:

I'm thinking you've never seen Fight Club or Seven.

---------- Post added at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

Of course the style/nature of the book - lots of different stories - would lend itself to an extra story or two on the DVD/blu-ray. ie: Extra footage (stories) only on the DVD/blu-ray. Certainly would help sales, assuming the film was reasonably good.

I'm hoping we don't get screwed out of the surgery story, like what happened in the Audio Book.

acealive1
22-Jul-2010, 08:55 PM
he's gonna bring zombie movies into the forefront.

DEAD BEAT
22-Jul-2010, 09:18 PM

---------- Post added at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

I'm hoping we don't get screwed out of the surgery story, like what happened in the Audio Book.

i have good movies yes...but a major actor playing a movie like that...let me remind you of something....I guess you didn't see "I AM LEGEND!" ;)

p.s. please don't tell me you thought that was good! :dead::moon:

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

he's gonna bring zombie movies into the forefront.

he's bringing his foreskin is more like it.....dude this is a bad match!:eek::moon::annoyed:

acealive1
22-Jul-2010, 09:51 PM
i have to disagree since a HUGE a list star is what they wanted to begin with. it'll make more than i am legend

DEAD BEAT
22-Jul-2010, 11:21 PM
i have to disagree since a HUGE a list star is what they wanted to begin with. it'll make more than i am legend

come on dude you know better than that...you know an all star cast has the potential to kill a good zombie flick...any kinda over budget production at that!:|

low budget, unknown actor's, creepy music, no CGI and a great script! "key to any great zombie flick!";)

oh and most of all "NO DAM RUNNIN' SCREAMO ZOMBIES!":moon::annoyed::rant:

acealive1
22-Jul-2010, 11:58 PM
come on dude you know better than that...you know an all star cast has the potential to kill a good zombie flick...any kinda over budget production at that!:|

low budget, unknown actor's, creepy music, no CGI and a great script! "key to any great zombie flick!";)

oh and most of all "NO DAM RUNNIN' SCREAMO ZOMBIES!":moon::annoyed::rant:

do u really believe all that? then u must believe they were gonna let an historically inaccurate martin scorsese film called the aviator be a bomb. it wasnt and they had a midget playing howard hughes. pitt will make the most successful zombie film ever. guaranteed.

Publius
23-Jul-2010, 09:37 AM

Or Twelve Monkeys.

i have good movies yes...but a major actor playing a movie like that...let me remind you of something....I guess you didn't see "I AM LEGEND!" ;)

Yeah, but I don't think Pitt has quite the history of brainless special-effects-driven schlock like Independence Day.

MinionZombie
23-Jul-2010, 09:49 AM
Or Twelve Monkeys.

Yeah, but I don't think Pitt has quite the history of brainless special-effects-driven schlock like Independence Day.
Plus there's been all this talk of respect for the source material. With "I Am Legend" they just took the book, pissed on it, then ignored it and wrote a load of bullshit with retarded CGI flappy-jawed raptor-people.

As for Pitt - I'll add another couple to the list:
Kalifornia
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

acealive1
23-Jul-2010, 10:02 AM
i thought the point of buying the rights was so u could do what u wanted with it

DEAD BEAT
23-Jul-2010, 03:28 PM
i thought the point of buying the rights was so u could do what u wanted with it

non talent bastards with too much money do that...that's why its sad when a true visionary can't afford to put out the truth!:(

sad world we live in gentlemen!:|:rockbrow:

AcesandEights
23-Jul-2010, 03:36 PM
Riiiiight.

Anyway, I agree with the sane people who think this could be a good thing.

bassman
23-Jul-2010, 03:44 PM
I think it needs to be addressed that low budget "no name" zombie movies are few and far between these days. You can whine and moan about Brad Pitt's company(I'm not sure why you would, though) all day long, but without a bigger sized company this film would never be possible.

If you want low budget "no name" zombie films, you need to look at some of those straight-to-dvd isles at the store. That's generally where they end up.
And even IF they entertained the idea of going with non-stars, the budget wouldn't be big enough for the size of WWZ.

And just for kicks, Pitt's production company has put out some decent films. As MZ mentioned - Assassination of Jesse James, The Departed, Kick-Ass, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, etc.

DEAD BEAT
23-Jul-2010, 04:47 PM
I think it needs to be addressed that low budget "no name" zombie movies are few and far between these days. You can whine and moan about Brad Pitt's company(I'm not sure why you would, though) all day long, but without a bigger sized company this film would never be possible.

If you want low budget "no name" zombie films, you need to look at some of those straight-to-dvd isles at the store. That's generally where they end up.
And even IF they entertained the idea of going with non-stars, the budget wouldn't be big enough for the size of WWZ.

And just for kicks, Pitt's production company has put out some decent films. As MZ mentioned - Assassination of Jesse James, The Departed, Kick-Ass, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, etc.

dude bigger budget productions are usually cheap bastards...u think they won't cut corners by using 50% CGI bullshit effects....not to mention that needing lots of hype by havin' screamo zombies because remember "oh no romero's slow walking non speaking zombies are too boring to watch!":rant:

I don't know gent's Brad Pitt seems to gay to play a zombie hero to me!:barf:

AcesandEights
23-Jul-2010, 04:52 PM
I don't know gent's Brad Pitt seems to gay to play a zombie hero to me!:barf:

What if they're gay zombies (http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1819975)?!

soulsyfn
23-Jul-2010, 06:02 PM

Not that there's anything wrong with that :D

DEAD BEAT
23-Jul-2010, 06:13 PM

well then only difference is that when Brad's teething a zombie cock....they'll be biting his off! lol:clown::eek::stunned::lol:

DubiousComforts
23-Jul-2010, 06:21 PM
"World War Z is described as the sober telling of the aftermath of a war against a legion of humans inflicted with a virus that makes them hunger for flesh"

This is the premise of Brooks' novel? Seriously?

BillyRay
23-Jul-2010, 07:07 PM
"World War Z is described as the sober telling of the aftermath of a war against a legion of humans inflicted with a virus that makes them hunger for flesh"

This is the premise of Brooks' novel? Seriously?

It's written in a non-fiction style, like Brooks did with the Zombie Survival guide.

I really hope they do this movie in the style of a documentary. Otherwise it could be a hatchet job.

DEAD BEAT
23-Jul-2010, 08:04 PM
It's written in a non-fiction style, like Brooks did with the Zombie Survival guide.

I really hope they do this movie in the style of a documentary. Otherwise it could be a hatchet job.

good luck with that!:rockbrow:

i don't see light @ the end of the tunnel on this one....:stunned::dead:

Ghost Of War
23-Jul-2010, 08:06 PM
good luck with that!:rockbrow:

i don't see light @ the end of the tunnel on this one....:stunned::dead:

'kinell mate, they haven't even started making it yet. Do you want it to be shite so you can say "I told you so" to everyone?

DEAD BEAT
23-Jul-2010, 09:59 PM
'kinell mate, they haven't even started making it yet. Do you want it to be shite so you can say "I told you so" to everyone?

No......i'm just not blind is all!;)

I can't believe how many people think Brad Pitt is gonna be the Zombie genre savior!:rolleyes:

i'm mean come on....b4 the Twilight Saga began Brad was king @ gayin' up Vampires...is this what we have to look forward to with Zombies now?:barf::(

BTW: if i am right Ghost u owe me a pint mate!

DubiousComforts
23-Jul-2010, 10:24 PM
b4 the Twilight Saga began Brad was king @ gayin' up Vampires

:lol: Good one! This guy has y'all's number.

Besides that, is it really about humans inflected with a virus?

DEAD BEAT
23-Jul-2010, 10:46 PM
[QUOTE=DubiousComforts;237218]:lol: Good one! This guy has y'all's number.

Thanks dude! finally somebody gets it!

Im all for a new awesome zombie flick...i just know this isn't gonna be the way!

Only reason Brad is in on this cause he wants to rape the genre just like all the other yuppies...for money! I don't think they give 2 shits what happens to the genre after they've violated it every which way possible. plus they know by now GAR's number is up as current zombie king and know that there are millions of eager fans waiting for the new Dawn of the Dead and think they could break the bank with this...but they'll come up short im sure....:dead:

I hate to talk about this flick this way cause i was also looking forward to it...but with Brad attached to the film now..."i just went limp!":eek::(

AcesandEights
23-Jul-2010, 11:25 PM
Yuppies?! I think I understand now.

If it makes you feel better, there will always be a ton of shitty low budget zombie movies.

clanglee
23-Jul-2010, 11:53 PM
Wow!!! Over react much? seriously Deadbeat. . . .Did Brad Pitt fuck your wife and piss in your Cheerios or something?

JDFP
24-Jul-2010, 03:25 AM
Brad Pitt?

:barf:

Sorry, I just vomited a little in my mouth. Yuck. One of the most overrated actors out there. I can't stand the man and can't stand most of his work. He's wooden and I've hardly ever seen any actual emotion from him in films. But for some reason just about every woman I've ever known wants to fuck him. Hmm... guess it just goes to show that guys will never understand the mind of a woman.

Well, if this gets women into the theater to see a zombie flick, okay, but for me it's a deterrent and a detraction. Seriously, we're supposed to suspend belief enough from enjoying zombies eating people and apocalyptic glee to take "Brad Pitt" seriously? Eh...

j.p.

blind2d
24-Jul-2010, 05:21 PM
I'm kinda surprised no one's made a "BP" joke yet...

DEAD BEAT
26-Jul-2010, 03:40 PM
Wow!!! Over react much? seriously Deadbeat. . . .Did Brad Pitt fuck your wife and piss in your Cheerios or something?

no but i take ur bonein' him being so defensive! lol;):moon:

p.s. i dont eat Cheerio's!:elol:

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 AM ----------

Brad Pitt?

:barf:

Sorry, I just vomited a little in my mouth. Yuck. One of the most overrated actors out there. I can't stand the man and can't stand most of his work. He's wooden and I've hardly ever seen any actual emotion from him in films. But for some reason just about every woman I've ever known wants to fuck him. Hmm... guess it just goes to show that guys will never understand the mind of a woman.

Well, if this gets women into the theater to see a zombie flick, okay, but for me it's a deterrent and a detraction. Seriously, we're supposed to suspend belief enough from enjoying zombies eating people and apocalyptic glee to take "Brad Pitt" seriously? Eh...

j.p.

you got my vote dude!;)

i thought it was pretty gay for a vampire flick to be over run by women wanting to catch the lead fag....now this is potentially the future for zombie flicks?:eek:

kidgloves
26-Jul-2010, 06:03 PM
Don't understand the hate for Brad Pitt. The man is a brilliant actor.
Inglorious Basterds
Curious Case of Benjamin Button
are a few others.
He does things right as well. Makes a commercial movie then piggybacks it with a personal project.

AcesandEights
26-Jul-2010, 06:12 PM
Inglorious Basterds
are a few others.
He does things right as well. Makes a commercial movie then piggybacks it with a personal project.

Meh. For the most part it's just a couple of loud folks who seem to be more concerned with his sexual preferences and status as a popular actor.

By the way, the repetitive homophobic slurs are a bit over the top.

JDFP
26-Jul-2010, 06:17 PM
:)
Inglorious Basterds
are a few others.

His "Maynardville, Tennessee" accent in "Inglorious Basterds" is beyond atrociously bad. I can say this with 100% confidence as I live less than 10 miles from Maynardville, TN. It's literally the next town up the road across the Knox Co./Union Co. line where I'm at. His accent sounds like someone who doesn't know Eastern TN. dialect and so they've had coaching for 'generalized' Southern dialect (as most Hollywood actors do) and sounds like a generic "one-size-fits-all" Southern accent -- but certainly not Appalachian which is a very unique accent.

I give kudos to Tarantino to always mentioning Knoxville (or the metro area to Knox such as Maynardville) in his films though as he was born here, but he should have gone with someone who could have done a better job of mastering the local accent without butchering it -- David Keith would have been a perfect fit as Davey is from here and doesn't fake it when he speaks (and is a hell of a great guy and I think would have done a good job in the flick in the role that went to Pitt).

I actually sighed (along with everyone else watching it with me) when it was mentioned in the film that his character is supposedly from Maynardville because he sounds like someone from much farther down South.

Yes, Pitt has been in some great films -- but I'd say they are great in spite of him as opposed to due to him. :)

j.p.

DEAD BEAT
26-Jul-2010, 08:52 PM
People we gotta stay true to the genre....true zombie fans or even horror fans know this is a bad idea! True Brad made some alright flicks but this genre doesn't need anymore negativity...between GAR losing his touch and all these non talent hacks trying to carry the torch is more than enough to totally wipe out whats left of this scene!

"so to those who are tossing Brad's salad this isnt against him as an actor...but we don't need him tainting these types of movies..shit his production bought the rights do we really need him to star in it as well?"

we'll don't come cryin' after your precious Brad has butt raped the genre and left it for dead when the main stream doesn't think zombies are cool anymore and go leach off the next hot thing and wer left with an old hag with an asshole size of the Grand Canyon!:mad:

clanglee
26-Jul-2010, 09:14 PM
People we gotta stay true to the genre....true zombie fans or even horror fans know this is a bad idea! True Brad made some alright flicks but this genre doesn't need anymore negativity...between GAR losing his touch and all these non talent hacks trying to carry the torch is more than enough to totally wipe out whats left of this scene!

"so to those who are tossing Brad's salad this isnt against him as an actor...but we don't need him tainting these types of movies..shit his production bought the rights do we really need him to star in it as well?"

we'll don't come cryin' after your precious Brad has butt raped the genre and left it for dead when the main stream doesn't think zombies are cool anymore and go leach off the next hot thing and wer left with an old hag with an asshole size of the Grand Canyon!:mad:

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

bassman
26-Jul-2010, 09:30 PM
This reminds me of the "Gay Cowboy" cries when Heath Ledger was announced as the Joker in The Dark Knight. He had never done something like that before so he couldn't possibly pull it off, could he?

I think we all know how that turned out....

EDukes
27-Jul-2010, 06:06 AM
If the zombies are runners, or utter the word "brains", then I'll be as pissed as everyone else. My theory is that the film will stick to walkers, which will encourage other quality walker films. I'm not worried that Hollywood will do to zombies what Twilight did to vampires. But, that's just my opinion.

JDFP
27-Jul-2010, 06:21 AM
This reminds me of the "Gay Cowboy" cries when Heath Ledger was announced as the Joker in The Dark Knight. He had never done something like that before so he couldn't possibly pull it off, could he?

Eh, Heath Ledger was no Jack Nicholson. :D:p

j.p.

CooperWasRight
27-Jul-2010, 07:41 AM
Inglorious Basterds
are a few others.

Haters will be haters...

But with a resume that includes The assassination of jesse james, Burn after reading, babel, troy, snatch, fight club, seven, true romance,12 monkeys and kalifornia I dont see how he has anything he needs to prove?

It's not like back in the day were he was just considered some heart throb with no chops?

How does the infantile hate persist?

MinionZombie
27-Jul-2010, 09:55 AM
I don't understand this Brad Pitt haterade either ... it's like how I don't understand the Leonardo DiCaprio haterade either.

Best as I can figure it, Leo gets hate cos of Titanic and Romeo & Juliet, when he was a teen heart throb ... but look at the work he's been doing of late, especially, but also some of his earlier stuff too. The hate isn't justified.

Same with Pitt, the dude's got a whole list of awesome sauce films, and the dude clearly wants to follow up passion projects (like Jesse James - which, his contract stipulated, had to have the full 10 word title) - the man feels dedicated to his craft and to his work, and finding interesting projects to work on.

Clearly the hate he gets is because he's always in tabloids and shitty celeb gossip magazines ... but does anyone in their right mind think he wants to be wrapped up in that shit? How many decent film stars would want to be? I don't mean some hack slab of uselessness like Lohan, I mean proper film stars who are great at their craft. I'm sure Pitt would dearly love for the gossip mag brigade to leave him and his family alone ... so why does he get hated for bullshit he can't control. If you're gonna hate, hate the gossip mags and the people who slavishly drool over them.

It's about time the zombie genre got:

A) Back to the shamblers
B) Got some big hitter backing

I'm of course included TWD in this, which seems to be like a runaway freight train of awesomeness right now.

LouCipherr
27-Jul-2010, 01:17 PM

Yeah, not as good as I would have liked it to be. Everyone raved about his Joker, but I don't see it. To each his own.

j.p.

Nor Cesear Romero! :D Although I would've liked to have seen Jack do a more "sinister" Joker. I loved him as the Joker, but, the was quite comic-book-ish (i'm sure mostly due to the bozo director.. :lol:)

I don't understand this Brad Pitt haterade either ... it's like how I don't understand the Leonardo DiCaprio haterade either.

You don't? Boils down to one word: jealousy. Fuck dude, I hate BOTH of them but wish I was both of them! :lol: It's all about "I wish it was me, not him" :D

Skippy911sc
27-Jul-2010, 01:23 PM
I always pictured Edward Norton in the lead role.

I think Brad could pull it off though.

I always groaned when I heard Pitt was in a film I wanted to see, that is until Se7en. I loved that flick and thought he did a great job.

BillyRay
27-Jul-2010, 02:22 PM
Although I would've liked to have seen Jack do a more "sinister" Joker.

I would have liked to see a far less paunchy Joker who wasn't filtered through the whole "Nicholson" persona. :elol:

bassman
27-Jul-2010, 02:24 PM

j.p.

You like your joker making fart sounds and dancing to Prince? If that's what you like...

:p

Jack's Joker was Jack Nicholson in make up. Not a very true interpretation of the charactr.

Trin
27-Jul-2010, 02:27 PM
I can think Brad Pitt can do the job, and all accounts paint him as a closet sci-fi/horror nerd. Look at his acting in 12 Monkeys. He can definitely play outside the leading man role.

My bigger concern with him is that it'll shift the movie toward a blockbuster centered around him rather than a plot driven story.

Danny
27-Jul-2010, 02:27 PM
i'm sorry, are you guys saying brad pitt can't act?

fucking twoddle.

LouCipherr
27-Jul-2010, 02:28 PM
I can think Brad Pitt can do the job, and all accounts paint him as a closet sci-fi/horror nerd. Look at his acting in 12 Monkeys. He can definitely play outside the leading man role.

It's funny you mentioned this Trin, 'cause I think Pitt was EXCELLENT in 12 Monkeys. I thought he played a 'nut' perfectly! Matter of fact, that's one of my favorite roles of his. :D

bassman
27-Jul-2010, 02:33 PM
Matter of fact, that's one of my favorite roles of his. :D

Two words. Mickey O'neil.:cool:

JDFP
27-Jul-2010, 02:59 PM
You like your joker making fart sounds and dancing to Prince? If that's what you like...

:p

Jack's Joker was Jack Nicholson in make up. Not a very true interpretation of the charactr.

Yeah, but Jack is so much more fun than Heath as the Joker. :)

Don't get me wrong, I also think that Heath Ledger did a great job of playing the Joker as a straight-up psychopath. But, Jack Nicholson was just fun. He reminded me of John Gotti gone just a wee bit mad with a clown's make-up.

C'mon, "Batman" with Keaton and Nicholson was just exciting adventure 80s' style. "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight" are both great films that I enjoy, but they are awfully damn bleak and depressing (a bit of a difference between the late 80's capitalistic invincibility vs. today's sensibilities can really be stated here). Sometimes you just want to have fun and kick back for a good laugh and appreciate some late 80's glory with some popcorn and appreciate Jack and Keaton having a wonderful time in their roles.

While I appreciate the realistic psychopathic approach Heath Ledger brought to the Joker, Jack will always be the real Joker to me.

j.p.

bassman
27-Jul-2010, 03:15 PM
Sometimes you just want to have fun and kick back for a good laugh

You should be watching Iron Man. Batman is not for a fun laugh. Damn that 60's TV show for screwing up the batman image....

darth los
27-Jul-2010, 03:31 PM
You should be watching Iron Man. Batman is not for a fun laugh. Damn that 60's TV show for screwing up the batman image....

After years of searching for a non-laughable formula they finally got it right with TDK.

Just because something came before doesn't mean it was the best ever or that it should stay that way.

Heath gave an incomparable performance and in my mind is the Gold Standard for what the Joker should be. It is a Dark film after all.

The Bar was set pretty low for that character in the first place. I mean are we comparing leadger's joker to nicholson's and Romero's?

Now that is a joke. :lol:

Oh and by the way: I'm back bitches ! :elol:

AcesandEights
27-Jul-2010, 03:36 PM

And a goodly portion of the 50s and 60s comic books.

Just like most things, Batman will always have to be re-edited and tweaked to fit the aesthetic of the day and generate those desired sales in the target market, I suppose.

JDFP
27-Jul-2010, 03:47 PM
Heath gave an incomparable performance and in my mind is the Gold Standard for what the Joker should be. It is a Dark film after all.

The Bar was set pretty low for that character in the first place. I mean are we comparing leadger's joker to nicholson's and Romero's?

Now that is a joke. :lol:

Oh and by the way: I'm back bitches ! :elol:

Welcome back, Los, you were missed. Honestly, I was starting to worry about you as you hadn't posted in quite some time and I actually posted in another thread asking about you (to which none responded).

Now we can resume our petty squabbling with one another (this place just isn't the same without it!).

Nicholson captured the comical nature of the Joker perfectly with a dark undertone. Ledger captured the dark psychopathic nature of the Joker but just didn't really capture the humor of the character (c'mon, the Joker should be funny in addition to being psychotic -- he's a clown killer!). You're right, you can't compare Ledger's Joker with Jack's -- because Ledger isn't Jack. :p

Of course I say Pennywise the clown trumps both of them for pure creepiness and evil.

Now Los, I have a question for you:

Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight? :D

j.p.

AcesandEights
27-Jul-2010, 03:51 PM
Welcome back, Los, you were missed. Honestly, I was starting to worry about you as you hadn't posted in quite some time and I actually posted in another thread asking about you (to which none responded).

I figured he was on a vacation. I could still see him playing L4D2 this last weekend online, so it knew it wasn't anything like carpal tunnel syndrome that was keeping him from logging in.

DEAD BEAT
27-Jul-2010, 03:58 PM

Now we can resume our petty squabbling with one another (this place just isn't the same without it!).

Nicholson captured the comical nature of the Joker perfectly with a dark undertone. Ledger captured the dark psychopathic nature of the Joker but just didn't really capture the humor of the character (c'mon, the Joker should be funny in addition to being psychotic -- he's a clown killer!). You're right, you can't compare Ledger's Joker with Jack's -- because Ledger isn't Jack. :p

Of course I say Pennywise the clown trumps both of them for pure creepiness and evil.

j.p.

Los is the man! lol

he's probably the only lad in this forum that knows what a perv i am! ;):moon:

"CHEERS" to Los and chicks with big tits!:D

bassman
27-Jul-2010, 04:04 PM

*puts nerd hat on*

As a lifelong batman fan, I feel the need to point out this isn't entirely true. Of course the character has changed throughout his 70 year history, but generally the character is NOT funny. That's a common misconception because of his name. When the character is written at it's best, only the Joker himself finds his jokes funny. To the audience or reader, his jokes often make little sense or are too dark to be found funny.

So in that sense....Ledger was closer to the core character. Case in point, the video with the fake batman when Joker starts shaking his mask in front of the camera and laughing maniacally. Not funny to anyone but him. In fact, it was quite frightening and he was laughing away.

For my .02....Ledger was the first to capture the true character of The Joker. Everything he did was spot on with what makes him great. Mark Hamill would probably be second.

darth los
27-Jul-2010, 04:10 PM

j.p.

I can't say that I have. :(

Thanks for the concern. I appreciate it, really. If one thing my mom taught me that I never forgot:

You have to appreciate what people do for you because no one really has to do anything for you.

I was actually laid up in a hospital for a week and a half with a deep vein thrombosis (blood clot) in my leg. Very dangerous stuff.

I finally ggot up the strength to get into work today. The fact that the bills are piling up isn't helping either. If it was up to me I would have taken this week off too. :(

But agian, thanks for the concern. It's good to see you guys again too.

---------- Post added at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

Los is the man! lol

he's probably the only lad in this forum that knows what a perv i am! ;):moon:

"CHEERS" to Los and chicks with big tits!:D

Ah yes, a bachelor party quote !

You da man!

AcesandEights
27-Jul-2010, 04:18 PM
That's horrible, Darth! I was only joking about the carpal tunnel syndrome; I had no idea...:(

Trin
27-Jul-2010, 05:41 PM
I just entered this thread for the third time looking for the latest WWZ news, then got distracted by the batman conversation, then went back to the main page and saw, "Hey, there's WWZ news..."

I'm stuck in a Star Trek time loop...

"Hey, there's WWZ news... and Star Trek time loop references..."

LouCipherr
27-Jul-2010, 07:23 PM
generally the character is NOT funny. That's a common misconception because of his name. When the character is written at it's best, only the Joker himself finds his jokes funny. To the audience or reader, his jokes often make little sense or are too dark to be found funny.

I don't think the 'disappearing pencil' joke got by anyone. :lol: :D

Actually, come to think of it, if that's the case, then Ledger failed too 'cause I found him to be just as humorous as the others - albeit it, for very different reasons. We should also mention, we all know the real reason why his performance was so praised, but I digress...

On a different note - WELCOME BACK, LOS! We missed ya. I thought we were gonna have to send a search party over there to find your ass and make you post again! :lol:

bassman
27-Jul-2010, 07:30 PM
We should also mention, we all know the real reason why his performance was so praised, but I digress...

It was a great performance regardless of his death. True, his death may have helped non-fans take notice, but he was getting praised for the role before his death. If he was still around today I think that role still would've garnered him huge appraisal.

Anyway....WWZ with Pitt and Forster. Hopefully it turns out good.:D

darth los
27-Jul-2010, 07:34 PM
I don't think the 'disappearing pencil' joke got by anyone. :lol: :D

Actually, come to think of it, if that's the case, then Ledger failed too 'cause I found him to be just as humorous as the others - albeit it, for very different reasons. We should also mention, we all know the real reason why his performance was so praised, but I digress...

On a different note - WELCOME BACK, LOS! We missed ya. I thought we were gonna have to send a search party over there to find your ass and make you post again! :lol:

Thanks lou. I missed you fucking guys. You have no idea how hard it is to get good conversation and opinions outside ouf this place. Seriously. It's like the bulk of the American population's minds can't handle anything more than their I phones, facebook pages and tmz.com reports at one time.

Is no one up on current events anymore?

Here's a dare the next time you're a t a gathering ask someone what the think about the bp oil spill or the Afghan war effort you'll get a blank idiotic stare. Now, ask then what are the top ten songs on the pop charts and they'll whip that shit out like it came out of a fucking holster man.

Truly sad.

Like i said. Good to be back and thanks for the concern everyone. This place has got a hold on me. I couldn't leave if i wanted to. :lol:

LouCipherr
27-Jul-2010, 07:53 PM
It was a great performance regardless of his death. True, his death may have helped non-fans take notice, but he was getting praised for the role before his death. If he was still around today I think that role still would've garnered him huge appraisal.

I agree with you, it was a good performance, but I think we can both agree that he would've never garnered the attention he did for the role had he not died. Believe me, I don't think it's right, but we all know people are more valuable/famous dead than alive. Know what I mean? ;) I think due to that fact, it got so blown out of proportion it ruined that movie, his character in particular, for me. Matter of fact, I still think BB was better than TDK and everyone calls me nuts for saying that. :lol: So be it. I'm nuts then! :hyper:

You have no idea how hard it is to get good conversation and opinions outside ouf this place.

Los, scarier words have never been posted. :shifty: :D

Trin
27-Jul-2010, 08:10 PM
Let me preface by saying I'm not a Batman nerd...

I like Keaton as Batman. I think he captured the introverted everyman nature. He also conveyed a barely contained depth of pain which must be part of the character. All the later Batmen were cast for their super hunkiness, and that is a major detraction for me. Kilmer was horrible. His attempts to portray inner pain just came off as wooden. Bale seemed... I don't know... pretty but shallow. No real sense of Batman there for me. I will say, however, that I didn't watch Batman Begins, so I may be missing out on the development of Bale's Batman.

I like Nicholson as Joker. He had showstopping charisma mixed with an on-the-edge sociopathic flair. He sold me on the sane madman as villain. I thought Ledger's performance was ho-hum, dead or otherwise.

In general I thought Dark Knight was ho-hum. I only hope the next 14 iterations of Batman are good.

Like i said. Good to be back and thanks for the concern everyone. This place has got a hold on me. I couldn't leave if i wanted to. :lol:
Just in case no one else has the guts to tell you... we all cheated on you while you were gone. Every ... single ... one ... of us.

Welcome back darth!! :lol:

darth los
27-Jul-2010, 08:31 PM
Just in case no one else has the guts to tell you... we all cheated on you while you were gone. Every ... single ... one ... of us.

Welcome back darth!! :lol:

Well, that would explain the smell of sex that was in the air when i got back lol. :lol:

Thanks bud.

Legion2213
27-Jul-2010, 08:35 PM
I can't say that I have. :(

Thanks for the concern. I appreciate it, really. If one thing my mom taught me that I never forgot:

You have to appreciate what people do for you because no one really has to do anything for you.

I was actually laid up in a hospital for a week and a half with a deep vein thrombosis (blood clot) in my leg. Very dangerous stuff.

I finally ggot up the strength to get into work today. The fact that the bills are piling up isn't helping either. If it was up to me I would have taken this week off too. :(

But agian, thanks for the concern. It's good to see you guys again too.

Woah. That is some serious stuff man. Good to have you back with us. :)

bassman
27-Jul-2010, 08:47 PM
Bale seemed... I don't know... pretty but shallow. No real sense of Batman there for me. I will say, however, that I didn't watch Batman Begins, so I may be missing out on the development of Bale's Batman.

See Batman Begins. BB and TDK are the same story and you have to see the origins in BB to gain a better appreaciation of TDK, imo.

I can't believe you saw TDK without BB. That's like seeing Aliens without Alien. :p

JDFP
27-Jul-2010, 08:55 PM
Let me preface by saying I'm not a Batman nerd...

I like Keaton as Batman. I think he captured the introverted everyman nature. He also conveyed a barely contained depth of pain which must be part of the character. All the later Batmen were cast for their super hunkiness, and that is a major detraction for me. Kilmer was horrible. His attempts to portray inner pain just came off as wooden. Bale seemed... I don't know... pretty but shallow. No real sense of Batman there for me. I will say, however, that I didn't watch Batman Begins, so I may be missing out on the development of Bale's Batman.

I like Nicholson as Joker. He had showstopping charisma mixed with an on-the-edge sociopathic flair. He sold me on the sane madman as villain. I thought Ledger's performance was ho-hum, dead or otherwise.

Well said. I also really digged Michael Keaton as Batman. I've always thought Keaton is an extremely underrated actor and is quite talented. I enjoy his work (especially his darker work). I think his portrayal of Batty was more human and realistic than the secret ninja of Bale. Michael Keaton seemed like an actual person as Batman, Bale didn't seem as human and more like a caricature (IMO). I don't agree with Ledger's performance as Joker being "ho-hum" -- I thought he was fantastic in the role, but comparing anyone to Jack as the Joker is like comparing anyone to the one and only William Shater as playing Jim Kirk. Just can't compare.

Nicholson is just a class act all together. I'm wondering if Nicholson or Keaton ever made any public announcements about their opinion on Bale's and Ledger's interpretation? I'd love to hear their thoughts on their young padawan's (especially Nicholson's views on Ledger as Bale). Anyone know?

I think comparing Keaton and Bale as Batman are a bit like comparing Connery and Moore as 007 (eh, Timothy Dalton kicked all their butts! :D). It's all a matter of perspective for what you look at in the character to make the decision as to who your favorite is going to be.

j.p.

bassman
27-Jul-2010, 09:02 PM
but comparing anyone to Jack as the Joker is like comparing anyone to the one and only William Shater as playing Jim Kirk. Just can't compare.

I prefer Chris Pine's version of Kirk over Shatner's. Shatner has always been a wooden actor and his vocal patterns are enough to make me consider suicide. Mother Fucker needs Hooked on Phonics, a vocal coach, or something.

Nicholson is just a class act all together. I'm wondering if Nicholson or Keaton ever made any public announcements about their opinion on Bale's and Ledger's interpretation? I'd love to hear their thoughts on their young padawan's (especially Nicholson's views on Ledger as Bale). Anyone know?

Nicholson hasn't made a statement about the films, but when asked about Ledger's take on the character and his death, Nicholson replied with "I warned him". Whatever the fuck that means...

Keaton said he liked the real world approach to Batman Begins. He still loves the gothic world he and Burton created, but he also admired how Nolan made the character believable. Can't find the videos now, but I saw them a few years back.

Anyway. I still like Burton and Keaton's Batman. It was legendary for it's time. Got it on Blu Ray and watch it regularly. But Nolan and Bale's take is much more true to the source material. On top of being more true to the comics, it's also grounded in a reality where you can believe it's possible. It's explained how he goes from an orphaned child to a masked vigilante, where as Burton's batman is just THERE. There is no explanation as to how he got the skills, the knowledge, the vehicle, the suit, etc.

JDFP
27-Jul-2010, 09:18 PM
I prefer Chris Pine's version of Kirk over Shatner's. Shatner has always been a wooden actor and his vocal patterns are enough to make me consider suicide. Mother Fucker needs Hooked on Phonics, a vocal coach, or something.

Nicholson hasn't made a statement about the films, but when asked about Ledger's take on the character and his death, Nicholson replied with "I warned him". Whatever the fuck that means...

Keaton said he liked the real world approach to Batman Begins. He still loves the gothic world he and Burton created, but he also admired how Nolan made the character believable. Can't find the videos now, but I saw them a few years back.

Anyway. I still like Burton and Keaton's Batman. It was legendary for it's time. Got it on Blu Ray and watch it regularly. But Nolan and Bale's take is much more true to the source material. On top of being more true to the comics, it's also grounded in a reality where you can believe it's possible. It's explained how he goes from an orphaned child to a masked vigilante, where as Burton's batman just DOES. There is no explanation to how he got there.

Interesting tidbit: Shatner's frequent pauses in the original series were actually due to his issues with having to read the queue cards. Due to the filming schedule he wasn't able to memorize his lines and frequently had to rely on reading queue cards. He had to squint to read the cards and.... his.... hesi-ta-tion and... stresses... between words was due to this. It has become a staple of the character though. :)

I think the "I warned you" that you mention is actually a bit eerie. Perhaps Jack had his own Martin Sheen/"Apocalypse Now" moment with becoming the Joker and attempted to warn Ledger that if he got too far into the character it would take him to a very, very dark place?

As far as the atmosphere/city being more believable in BB and TDK I agree 100%. It was more like a real place with the dark, gritty, feel to it. But the character of Batman being more realistic from Bale as opposed to Keaton? Eh, I'd have to argue with that. Keaton seemed real as an individual as opposed to a secretive ninja. Plus, sometimes mystery is better.

Just my ever increasing change on the matter. :D

j.p.

EDukes
27-Jul-2010, 10:14 PM
I always get annoyed in the Burton Batman vs. Nolan Batman debate. I like both versions for different reasons. I really don't see why one has to be crowned as the better film. Nicholson's Joker was awesome, but Ledger's Joker was a completely different monster. As far as I'm concerned, they were both extremely entertaining, so I give them a draw.

As far as World War Z, which story from the book are you looking forward to seeing? I'm having a tough time deciding between the surgeon, the Battle of Yonkers, and the Hollywood celebrity's fortress being stormed by humans.

Legion2213
27-Jul-2010, 10:26 PM
As far as World War Z, which story from the book are you looking forward to seeing? I'm having a tough time deciding between the surgeon, the Battle of Yonkers, and the Hollywood celebrity's fortress being stormed by humans.

Downed female Pilot slogging her way through zombie infested swampland aided by mysterious voice on her radio.

AcesandEights
27-Jul-2010, 10:32 PM
Downed female Pilot slogging her way through zombie infested swampland aided by mysterious voice on her radio.

That's he first one I thought of the other day when I was thinking about different scenes that would hopefully make the movie! I don't know if I'd say it's my favorite, but it's damned memorable.

DubiousComforts
27-Jul-2010, 11:55 PM
My bigger concern with him is that it'll shift the movie toward a blockbuster centered around him rather than a plot driven story.
Bingo!

Shatner has always been a wooden actor and his vocal patterns are enough to make me consider suicide.
One can only hope.

JDFP
28-Jul-2010, 12:01 AM
One can only hope.

Damn, Dub, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't laughing my ass off at this comment, but isn't that harsh even for you?

There should be a book of Dub's witticisms. It would only be thirty pages long collected from years of statements, but it would be well worth the money. :D

j.p.

clanglee
28-Jul-2010, 12:39 AM
but isn't that harsh even for you?

That's like telling Tony the Tiger "but isn't that overly animated and feline. . .even for you?"

MinionZombie
28-Jul-2010, 09:19 AM
Enough of this Batman talk...

Being that it's Forster - who did Quantum of Solace - I do hope he shoots the action without the ludicrously "can't see anything" shaky-cam routine. The opening car chase of QoS was a piss take in that respect, and other action scenes - too much shaky-cam ... pull back a bit, and shake less PLEASE!

bassman
28-Jul-2010, 11:39 AM
One can only hope.

Aww, you're so cute. We're glad you could find the time to contribute.

Being that it's Forster - who did Quantum of Solace - I do hope he shoots the action without the ludicrously "can't see anything" shaky-cam routine. The opening car chase of QoS was a piss take in that respect, and other action scenes - too much shaky-cam ... pull back a bit, and shake less PLEASE!

I know the shakey cam comes into play later in QOS, but I thought that opening car chase was bad ass. Especially the pay off at the end that Mr. White was in the trunk and it's picking up exactly where Casino Royale left off.

QOS wasn't too great, but it was a good companion piece to CR. Forster's had better work in the past, though. Stay, Monster's Ball, Finding Neverland, Stranger Than Fiction, etc.

MinionZombie
28-Jul-2010, 04:23 PM
Yeah, the QoS car chase at the start is still kick ass - but it could have been better if we'd had a better look at everything going on, it was too shaky, and the shots too close too often. That aesthetic returned in later action sequences too - it's all just a little bit too hectic and fast.

Still good action, and still a solid enough movie (even if the movie is front-heavy when it comes to action, and isn't up to Casino Royale quality) ... I'm just saying I hope the action in WWZ doesn't get too shaky-cam, you know.

Trin
28-Jul-2010, 04:48 PM
See Batman Begins. BB and TDK are the same story and you have to see the origins in BB to gain a better appreaciation of TDK, imo.

I can't believe you saw TDK without BB. That's like seeing Aliens without Alien. :p
You are absolutely right. I didn't want to do this. My son was given the option of renting whatever he wanted and we'd both heard DK was awesome but BB was so-so. He didn't want to slog through one to see the other. My personal OCD on the matter was highly offended at this act. If Police Academy 14 was stellar I would have to see 1-13 first. That's just me.

Ironically my other son picked out Alvin and the Chipmunks for his movie. Not the Squeekwel... the original. When I asked him why he didn't get the later movie he said he didn't want to see it without seeing the original first. Yay!! I passed it on!!

Well said. I also really digged Michael Keaton as Batman. I've always thought Keaton is an extremely underrated actor and is quite talented. I enjoy his work (especially his darker work). I think his portrayal of Batty was more human and realistic than the secret ninja of Bale. Michael Keaton seemed like an actual person as Batman, Bale didn't seem as human and more like a caricature (IMO).
Totally agree.

I prefer Chris Pine's version of Kirk over Shatner's. Shatner has always been a wooden actor and his vocal patterns are enough to make me consider suicide.
There are two things I try to avoid. Endorsing suicide and agreeing with Dubious. You're challenging both. Pine better than Shatner?!!?? I am going to believe this is your sense of humor trying to lure us in.

DubiousComforts
28-Jul-2010, 06:51 PM
Damn, Dub, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't laughing my ass off at this comment, but isn't that harsh even for you?

Right -- since I was being completely serious in response to bassman’s completely serious threat of suicide, "harsh" would be the only way to see it.

There should be a book of Dub's witticisms. It would only be thirty pages long collected from years of statements, but it would be well worth the money. :D

Let's wait until there are enough for a 1000- sheet roll of toilet paper so that I may better live up to my signature.

bassman
28-Jul-2010, 09:54 PM
Right -- since I was being completely serious in response to bassman’s completely serious threat of suicide, "harsh" would be the only way to see it.

:lol:

Are you this way outside of the forums or is it just some sort of tough guy image you're trying to portray? Friends must be hard to come by if you act this way normally ...

Publius
29-Jul-2010, 10:47 AM
Ironically my other son picked out Alvin and the Chipmunks for his movie. Not the Squeekwel... the original. When I asked him why he didn't get the later movie he said he didn't want to see it without seeing the original first. Yay!! I passed it on!!

Well done! I'm agonizing over whether to start my son on Star Wars with the original (Episode IV) or Episode I.

Mr.G
29-Jul-2010, 12:07 PM
Well done! I'm agonizing over whether to start my son on Star Wars with the original (Episode IV) or Episode I.

Agonizing? You've seen episode I, right? If you start him there he may never get to episode IV. Without having the experience of 4-6 first...he won't have the investment to watch the first (later) three.

AND if you were a proper dad you'd make him wait 3 years in between to watch each movie...just like the rest of us! ;)

Legion2213
29-Jul-2010, 12:18 PM
Agonizing? You've seen episode I, right? If you start him there he may never get to episode IV. Without having the experience of 4-6 first...he won't have the investment to watch the first (later) three.

AND if you were a proper dad you'd make him wait 3 years in between to watch each movie...just like the rest of us! ;)

You'd also cut him off from the internet...his only SW fix would be reprints of the Marvel comics series and the odd showing of one of the movies around Christmas time ever year. :)

Seriously though dude. Star Wars > Empire > Jedi I wouldn't even bother with the prequels.

AcesandEights
29-Jul-2010, 01:42 PM
Seriously though dude. Star Wars > Empire > Jedi I wouldn't even bother with the prequels.

The funny thing is, I've heard the kiddies love Episodes I through III! I mean their just kids, so it's like a big cartoon to them.

Honestly, I'd start my kid on Episode IV and ignore I-III, denying him/her the chance to even see episodes I-III till their age of majority.

"Well, when you're 18 you can have as much sex as you want, take half hour showers and watch all the Episodes I through III and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull you want...but NOT under my roof!"

Trin
29-Jul-2010, 02:04 PM
The kids do love the prequels. And from their perspective what's not to love? Big light saber battles, a kid who becomes a super-jedi, Jar-jar, huge special effects, etc. Movies have set a high bar for action and effects, which the older ones did too btw, so don't think they were any different, it's just the older ones still had to produce compellling plot to be standout movies of that day.

Personally, I liked Phantom Menace. I felt it carried the torch nicely. I lost it with episodes 2-3.

darth los
29-Jul-2010, 02:10 PM
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

I truly pity those for that was their first Idiana Jones experience.

They might get the impression that that's the franchise is all about. :dead:

bassman
29-Jul-2010, 02:11 PM
They might get the impression that that's the franchise is all about. :dead:

It is, actually.;)

AcesandEights
29-Jul-2010, 02:16 PM
It is, actually.;)

http://www.magicthegathering.speedyweb.com/6thEdition/6thWandofDenial.jpg

bassman
29-Jul-2010, 02:25 PM
Shiiiii. You guys are the ones in denial. "It's too supernatural, waaahhh". Yeah, and the original three weren't? :rolleyes:

I'm not saying its as good as Raiders, but it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. Things could've been A LOT worse.

darth los
29-Jul-2010, 02:33 PM
^^^^

Nice comeback because i know he can't be serious.

Bassman you joker you.

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

Shiiiii. You guys are the ones in denial. "It's too supernatural, waaahhh". Yeah, and the original three weren't? :rolleyes:

I'm not saying its as good as Raiders, but it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. Things could've been A LOT worse.

No brother it was.

Yes they were supernatural but the others were actually good. (I'm excluding the third film).

It's like star wars. They're all space si fi. However, again, the originals are actually good.

Danny
29-Jul-2010, 02:33 PM

BITCH I'LL TAKE SOME OF DAT HEAT.

-without your nostalgia tinted glasses the original star wars trilogy is just a weird western that rehashed old fantasy stories and samurai movies. Entertaining enough, but not great.

AcesandEights
29-Jul-2010, 02:58 PM
BITCH I'LL TAKE SOME OF DAT HEAT.

-without your nostalgia tinted glasses the original star wars trilogy is just a weird western that rehashed old fantasy stories and samurai movies. Entertaining enough, but not great.

The original Star Wars trilogy were technical landmarks and spurred a generational zeitgeist of unimaginable proportions. Re-hashed stories is definitely one way of putting the material, but you could just as easily have said re-discovering and modernizing the myth cycle for the contemporary viewing public. <--- Yeah, cheesy & Campbellesque, I know, but there's some truth in that angle as well.

Create, don't denigrate, Hellsing ;)

darth los
29-Jul-2010, 03:07 PM
The original Star Wars trilogy were technical landmarks and spurred a generational zeitgeist of unimaginable proportions. Re-hashed stories is definitely one way of putting the material, but you could just as easily have said re-discovering and modernizing the myth cycle for the contemporary viewing public. <--- Yeah, cheesy & Campbellesque, I know, but there's some truth in that angle as well.

Create, don't denigrate, Hellsing ;)

Honestly i challenge anyone to find something that isn't a rehash or some sort.

Nothing hollywood produces is really new.

bassman
29-Jul-2010, 03:11 PM
I love how this thread is basically everything except WWZ. :lol:

AcesandEights
29-Jul-2010, 03:15 PM
I love how this thread is basically everything except WWZ. :lol:

Yeah, waiting for Trin to come back in and sigh at us all. :)

darth los
29-Jul-2010, 03:30 PM
I'm torn about that. Yes, many times the threads stray from the o.p. but that doesn't mean it's not a good discussion that's happening.

Everything evolves. Inlcluding threads.

AcesandEights
29-Jul-2010, 03:58 PM
Well, you know I agree. Some of our best conversations wander all over the map. :D

JDFP
29-Jul-2010, 04:16 PM
Well, you know I agree. Some of our best conversations wander all over the map. :D

I concur. :)

j.p.

Trin
29-Jul-2010, 05:39 PM
Yeah, waiting for Trin to come back in and sigh at us all. :)
I keep coming back in here looking for the Batman thread, then I see all this great Star Wars stuff and get distracted, then I go back to the homepage and look for that great Batman thread...

lol

Just for the record, I am the LAST person to care about threads drifting off topic.

Doc
29-Jul-2010, 05:56 PM
"Well, when you're 18 you can have as much sex as you want, take half hour showers and watch all the Episodes I through III and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull you want...but NOT under my roof!"

Fun...I've still yet to see 'Raiders' and 'Crusader' but, have seen 'Temple' and 'Crystal Skull' which are considered the worst. :confused:

JDFP
29-Jul-2010, 08:33 PM
Cancel this post I just posted, going to start a "Batman" (1989) thread...

j.p.

bassman
29-Jul-2010, 08:41 PM
Fuck dude....I already replied. :lol:

I'll copy and move it to your batman thread, I guess.

JDFP
29-Jul-2010, 08:52 PM
Fuck dude....I already replied. :lol:

I'll copy and move it to your batman thread, I guess.

My bad, I figured I would try to keep this thread from degenerating any further and actually set us up for a real Batman thread. :cool:

j.p.

kidgloves
29-Jul-2010, 09:45 PM
Anyways................ back to WWZ

I want to see so many of the segments in the film but besides Yonkers, which ironically would be great shaky cam (sorry MZ:D), the space station segment springs to mind. Tie that in with India and Pakistan (i think) nuking each other. add a dose of the bombing of the Indian pass through the mountains and you've got movie gold.
Thers is too much material in this book for 1 movie.
Fuck it. Make it a trilogy :hyper:

Publius
29-Jul-2010, 10:54 PM

True, but on the other hand he's barely 5 years old, so Ep I might be right at his intellectual level.

Ghost Of War
30-Jul-2010, 07:23 AM
anyways................ Back to wwz

i want to see so many of the segments in the film but besides yonkers, which ironically would be great shaky cam (sorry mz:d), the space station segment springs to mind. Tie that in with india and pakistan (i think) nuking each other. Add a dose of the bombing of the indian pass through the mountains and you've got movie gold.
fuck it. Make it a trilogy :hyper:

yes!!

MinionZombie
30-Jul-2010, 10:07 AM
Anyways................ back to WWZ

I want to see so many of the segments in the film but besides Yonkers, which ironically would be great shaky cam (sorry MZ:D), the space station segment springs to mind. Tie that in with India and Pakistan (i think) nuking each other. add a dose of the bombing of the Indian pass through the mountains and you've got movie gold.

1) There's shaky cam, and there's SHAAAAAAAYKEEEEEE CAAAAAAAAM ... the former is fine, the latter is fucking annoying ... I'll have the former please. :)

2) FUCK. YES. :cool:

bassman
30-Jul-2010, 11:48 AM

Wit the way they release movies today, I wouldn't be surprised if they're already working on it...

darth los
30-Jul-2010, 03:49 PM
Wit the way they release movies today, I wouldn't be surprised if they're already working on it...

Movies are alot like game franchises now. There's very rarely any one and done stuff happening.

They want to know how they can work in sequels even before the first film is even thought about getting made.

Rancid Carcass
30-Jul-2010, 05:18 PM
They want to know how they can work in sequels even before the first film is even thought about getting made.

World War Z 2: Zombies Strike Back. Once they've got that out of the way they can start on the prequels/reboots and teen musical spin offs... You can hear the cash registers ringing even as we speak... :D

Ghost Of War
30-Jul-2010, 05:22 PM
World War Z 2: Zombies Strike Back. Once they've got that out of the way they can start on the prequels/reboots and teen musical spin offs... You can hear the cash registers ringing even as we speak... :D

World War Z....ON ICE! :eek:

BillyRay
30-Jul-2010, 05:30 PM

WWZ 12: Zombies Go Hawaiian!!

AcesandEights
30-Jul-2010, 05:41 PM

Could be a tie in to something mentioned in the book...

That'd be the sequel about that damned hot spot, Iceland that they talk about :D

Or...

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/io9/2009/01/deadsnowfront-1.jpg

Ghost Of War
30-Jul-2010, 06:09 PM
Could be a tie in to something mentioned in the book...

That'd be the sequel about that damned hot spot, Iceland that they talk about :D

You know, that's a bloody good call. There's so much film potential in that book.

MinionZombie
30-Jul-2010, 06:16 PM
Speaking seriously for a moment, if they did get us the full on WWZ movie we want, but couldn't fund a full-on sequel, what they could do would be to do a sort of 'Animatrix' type deeley (they also did that with between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight) - a series of animated shorts that would be adapted from unused chapters of the book not featured in the actual movie.

The sort of thing that wouldn't cost a relative arm & leg, and would be designed for the very interesting & hardcore WWZ fans.

blind2d
30-Jul-2010, 08:12 PM
An excellent idea, mz! I support it fully!

C5NOTLD
03-Aug-2010, 03:31 AM

Exactly. Romero can have the same or nearly the same amount of money for a budget as Zack or anyone else but one of the big differences (game changer in my opinion) between then and now are the people around GAR.

Anyone can make films. But the craft behind it is what is lacking on so many of these films we see today - The Mall in Dawn 04 reminded me of a tv mini series set. While the mall in Dawn 78 was epic.

The budgets of NOTLD and Dawn 78 show it's not the money/budget that makes the difference (something studios and executives can't comprehend). It's the people. Always will be.

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

My whole point is that if Romero was good with lower budgets 30 years ago there should be no reason why he couldn't be as good with them today..

It has nothing to do with the budgets but the people he surrounds himself with.