PDA

View Full Version : Marvel's Future Movies?

darth los
23-Apr-2010, 04:08 PM
Ok. So is everyone pumped up for the new Luke Cage film !?! :hyper:

Yeah, me neither. :rolleyes:

http://movies.ign.com/articles/108/1085608p1.html

:cool:

EvilNed
23-Apr-2010, 04:14 PM
Luke Who?

darth los
23-Apr-2010, 04:25 PM
Luke Who?

Exactly.

Imo, Name recognition is vital to the success of a film like this. Names like Spiderman, Batman, Superman are a part of American if not world pop culture and that's why you see 300 million dollar returns on films that are subpar.

Good luck with all that if they take this path.

bassman
23-Apr-2010, 05:09 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2167/2377887569_e814a17d03.jpg?v=0

REPRESENT.

AcesandEights
23-Apr-2010, 05:22 PM
Names like Spiderman, Batman, Superman are a part of American if not world pop culture and that's why you see 300 million dollar returns on films that are subpar.

True, but I doubt that they're looking for that sort of return on these films. Did you see the projected budget for these smaller projects? 20 Mill.

I'm not going to get into the possibility of Marvel undervaluing the super hero film genre by doing this and thus shooting themselves in the foot, but it's an interesting if dangerous strategy they're looking at. Though it doesn't say that they are looking to do away with a commitment to film projects using their marquee names.

Whether it's a wise choice to diversify this way or not will probably have more to do with the execution and...oddly enough...marketing and handling of how these sort of film projects are presented.

slickwilly13
23-Apr-2010, 05:29 PM
You will respect Power Man. I wonder if Iron Fist will be in this.

darth los
23-Apr-2010, 05:29 PM
True, but I doubt that they're looking for that sort of return on these films. Did you see the projected budget for these smaller projects? 20 Mill.

I'm not going to get into the possibility of Marvel undervaluing the super hero film genre by doing this and thus shooting themselves in the foot, but it's an interesting if dangerous strategy they're looking at. Though it doesn't say that they are looking to do away with a commitment to film projects using their marquee names.

Whether it's a wise choice to diversify this way or not will probably have more to do with the execution and...oddly enough...marketing and handling of how these sort of film projects are presented.

I agree with your last statement. It doesn't matter who the protagonist is, if the film is going to kick ass it just is.

But i think in terms of the return they are expecting, i think they're doing what most corporations do: Try to spend as little and make as much as possible. If this experiment works what's the justification to spend 200 mil on a new spiderman film when spending 30-40 mil on doc strange will net them the same profit?

bassman
23-Apr-2010, 05:35 PM
This could help out newcomers if you think about it. If they aren't spending much on these franchises, you know they're going to bring in "new" directors and actors to avoid the high price of established ones.

I'm betting the majority of them won't be too good, but there will be one or two that knock it out of the park.

darth los
23-Apr-2010, 05:41 PM
This could help out newcomers if you think about it. If they aren't spending much on these franchises, you know they're going to bring in "new" directors and actors to avoid the high price of established ones.

I'm betting the majority of them won't be too good, but there will be one or two that knock it out of the park.

I've always prefered new faces. That's one of the things that turned me off about land. I just couldn't get past john leguizamo and dennis hopper being in the midst of a zombie apocalypse.