PDA

View Full Version : Jed Clampett Wins the Lottery

bassman
23-Apr-2010, 05:29 PM
Funniest real news article ever (http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/lottery-winner-chris-shaws-plans-paying-the-bills/19451888?icid=main|main|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww .aolnews.com%2Fnation%2Farticle%2Flottery-winner-chris-shaws-plans-paying-the-bills%2F19451888)? I think so...

I hate to be so judgmental about this guy, but come on...you can tell the author was laughing it up.

Make sure you check out the smiling picture in order to get the full effect....

http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978193571

slickwilly13
23-Apr-2010, 06:08 PM
I think it is great he is seeking finanical advice, but how long do you think it will take to piss through all that money?

ProfessorChaos
23-Apr-2010, 06:12 PM
i honestly don't understand how so many lottery winners end up going broke. even if you took the one-time lump sum payment of $124million, i think it'd be hard to go through all that money...

seriously, if i had that much, i'd take care of my family and myself, piss away maybe a million on a (really, really) nice house, few new rides, maybe a vacation. invest a good bit, drop the rest into an high-interest earning account, live off the interest.

DjfunkmasterG
23-Apr-2010, 06:25 PM
I don't want to judge him. for all we know maybe he had a hard ass life and did everything he could to change it. Hopefully he will be wise and everything works out in the end.

EvilNed
23-Apr-2010, 06:28 PM
Yeah, I don't really see how you can spend that much money in a lifetime either. I'm not a car person, so I wouldn't really get alot of those. I'd get ONE that was comfy, safe and all that stuff.

As for houses? Well, I'm a city person, and I prefer apartments. Sure, I'd probably get a huge one, but we're still not talking about anything worth more than 1 million dollars.

As for the rest? I have no idea. I'd pay off all my loans. And they aren't that much to begin with. So after all that luxuary, I'd have wasted maybe 1-1.5 million dollars. At best. Depending on how expensive the car and apartment is.

darth los
23-Apr-2010, 06:38 PM
It's pretty much the same scenario everytime. You have hangers on and 6th cousins popping out of the woodwork with guilt trips, sob stories and demands.

it's up to the person to stay strong and disciplined, which those who piss all that money down the drain are obviously not.

Wanna know how rich people stay rich? The DON'T buy the things all of us fantasize about and they live on budgets believe it or not.

:cool:

slickwilly13
23-Apr-2010, 07:16 PM
It is very easy to piss away $200 million. Living beyond your means, deadbeat relatives and friends, law suits, divorces, bad financial moves & advice, etc. People who never had anything tend to think the money will never end. A bottomless pit of income. You have to think outside the box on this one. I know a guy who pissed through $250,000 settlement within 6 months. Look at Mike Tyson, for example. Here is a fighter who made almost half a billion dollars during his pro boxing career. He's bankrupt.

AcesandEights
23-Apr-2010, 07:23 PM
It is very easy to piss away $200 million. Living beyond your means, deadbeat relatives and friends, law suits, divorces, bad financial moves & advice, etc. People who never had anything tend to think the money will never end. A bottomless pit of income. You have to think outside the box on this one. I know a guy who pissed through $250,000 settlement within 6 months. Look at Mike Tyson, for example. Here is a fighter who made almost half a billion dollars during his pro boxing career. He's bankrupt.

^ Listen to this, man! He speaks the truth.

If I ever won the lottery I would try and keep that shit as quiet as possible! You get targeted when you come into that sort of bank.

darth los
23-Apr-2010, 07:30 PM
^ Listen to this, man! He speaks the truth.

If I ever won the lottery I would try and keep that shit as quiet as possible! You get targeted when you come into that sort of bank.

Good luck with all that when you are virtually forced into a televised dog and pony show to pose with and oversized check.

AcesandEights
23-Apr-2010, 07:33 PM
Good luck with all that when you are virtually forced into a televised dog and pony show to pose with and oversized check.

I know, I know, but I'd really try and cut people off from casual access, get out of dodge for a while (6 months out of the the country with a few stops back in to check on family and my new fortune) and then move my residence after I got a good financial adviser and then someone else to watch that firm.

Mr.G
23-Apr-2010, 07:40 PM

That only an excuse for a year or so...I couldn't pick any past winners from a lineup. If you won a shit ton and were smart, you'd leave the country for a year and come back once everything cooled down. Or change your damn name and move out of the state. Problems solved.

EvilNed
23-Apr-2010, 07:54 PM
One thing is for sure... I'd definetly not pick the lump sum... Not after giving this some thought, given what everyone's saying here.

AcesandEights
23-Apr-2010, 07:59 PM
One thing is for sure... I'd definetly not pick the lump sum... Not after giving this some thought, given what everyone's saying here.

You wouldn't be tempted to buy your own island communist paradise, Ned???

LouCipherr
23-Apr-2010, 08:08 PM
Private Islands Online (www.privateislandsonline.com)

Yours for the taking. Well, purchasing. :D

ProfessorChaos
23-Apr-2010, 08:09 PM
here's my question: say you opt for the 30 year payment plan, then die in a car crash two years later? what becomes of all that money? surely they've got a clause worked in to leave it to family members or whoever you chose...

i think with winnings that big, i'd just settle for a lump sum payment. i'm pretty sure i could easily make 124 million bucks last me for about the next 60 years or so....

oh and a friend of my father's won a million dollars on a scratch-off ticket a few years back, then died of an aneurysm a year or two later.

Tricky
23-Apr-2010, 08:10 PM
If I won a large amount the only friends & family I would bother with are the ones that gave me the time of day when I was poor, and even then if they started extracting the urine I would cut them off! Any aunts, uncles, distant cousins, charities (except ones Im a supporter of), drop outs, dodgy "business men" or whatever that came crawling out of the woodwork asking for money would get told to sod off!

darth los
23-Apr-2010, 08:12 PM
here's my question: say you opt for the 30 year payment plan, then die in a car crash two years later? what becomes of all that money? surely they've got a clause worked in to leave it to family members or whoever you chose...

i think with winnings that big, i'd just settle for a lump sum payment. i'm pretty sure i could easily make 124 million bucks last me for about the next 60 years or so....

oh and a friend of my father's won a million dollars on a scratch-off ticket a few years back, then died of an aneurysm a year or two later.

Agreed. Lump sum is where it's at for me.

DjfunkmasterG
23-Apr-2010, 09:46 PM
I too would probably do lump sum, after taxes you still walk away with about $80,000,000 and if you walk into any bank with that kind of money they will give you a nice high interest bearing account and you could probably live off the interest alone.

I really hope things go well for the guy. I am sure he will be inundated with tons of calls from people looking to mooch, but hopefully it all works out for him and he does what is best for him and his kids. I wish him all the best.

rongravy
23-Apr-2010, 10:04 PM
My aunt and uncle won the Illinois lottery awhile back, but only for about 6 million. They spoiled themselves by buying a brand spanking new USED car. They were already rich before they ever won. They are super tight so I doubt they will ever go under over it...

I would have no problem telling anyone and everyone to fuck off. Leech bastards! After I do my obligatory dance at work to that old Johnny Paycheck song, I'm outta here. I'm moving to Montana and raising me a crop of dental floss...
:elol:

DjfunkmasterG
23-Apr-2010, 10:16 PM
My aunt and uncle won the Illinois lottery awhile back, but only for about 6 million. They spoiled themselves by buying a brand spanking new USED car. They were already rich before they ever won. They are super tight so I doubt they will ever go under over it...

I would have no problem telling anyone and everyone to fuck off. Leech bastards! After I do my obligatory dance at work to that old Johnny Paycheck song, I'm outta here. I'm moving to Montana and raising me a crop of dental floss...
:elol:

LMAO... its a growth industry dude.

C5NOTLD
24-Apr-2010, 12:34 AM
i honestly don't understand how so many lottery winners end up going broke. even if you took the one-time lump sum payment of $124million, i think it'd be hard to go through all that money...

Over half is lost to the gov't in taxes right away.

Mr.G
24-Apr-2010, 01:24 PM
Over half is lost to the gov't in taxes right away.

I guess 62 million doesn't go as far as it used to...;):p