View Full Version : Day of the dead > all?

Cikorpyan
25-Apr-2010, 08:45 AM
For years Dawn of the Dead was my favorite zombie film, sure NOTLD was the first and is a masterpiece in its own right (and time), but dawn of the dead to me was just better. As time goes by though, day of the dead gains more and more creditability because it just does not play around. To me dawn has become the fun “what if” movie such as “wow it would be great to run free in a mall” but day of the dead is just conflict on conflict. We got scientist vs. military vs. freelancers, living vs. dead, flee vs. stay vs. fight and the list goes on and on. I like that, because to me that is as close to reality as a zombie move can safely go without unnecessary bullshit explanations. Maybe my thought will change over the next ten years, but right now day is my favorite Romero film.

(yes I am still drunk)

ProfessorChaos
25-Apr-2010, 08:54 AM
while i doubt i could honestly pick a favorite of the original trilogy, day is probably the film that's aged the best and is usually the one that gets the most reaction/discussion when i introduce friends to the romero dead films.

from what i've read on these boards, i think that a large number of people would agree with you, though.

and hey, what's up with only 4 posts in almost 2 1/2 years? stop by more often, dude.

Cikorpyan
25-Apr-2010, 09:14 AM
Well I had another account forever ago but I have since forgot every single detail about it including the email address. it was probably some sort of variation of "scorpion", but I only made 2 posts on it anyway.

bassman
25-Apr-2010, 03:01 PM
Day > all?

YES. :cool:

shootemindehead
25-Apr-2010, 03:04 PM
Not only the greatest zombie film ever made. It's the greatest horror film ever made.

Neil
25-Apr-2010, 04:00 PM
I've always rated it near the top of the pile for me... It's beautifully dark and morbid...

EvilNed
25-Apr-2010, 04:34 PM
Not only the greatest zombie film ever made. It's the greatest horror film ever made.

^ This.

3pidemiC
25-Apr-2010, 05:23 PM
Yes.

. . . .

AcesandEights
25-Apr-2010, 05:45 PM

I...am pretty sure I agree with this statement completely.

mista_mo
25-Apr-2010, 08:18 PM
Anyone that doesn't like Day of the Dead is pretty much not really a human.

rongravy
25-Apr-2010, 09:20 PM
day is the best of the original trilogy, but land is superglossy. i like super good FX. i'm too old to be thinking and substituting. gay independant crap is the thing of the past. anyone can make a nifty dvd box nowadays to fool you into renting....

Leeloo
25-Apr-2010, 10:35 PM

+1. Love it.

AcesandEights
26-Apr-2010, 02:16 AM
Anyone that doesn't like Day of the Dead is pretty much not really a human.

Like an alien? An android? A synthoid, perhaps?

JDFP
26-Apr-2010, 02:54 AM
Let me throw my penny in the pot here in saying...

Yes, "Day of the Dead" is the greatest zombie film ever made.
Yes, "Day of the Dead" is the greatest horror film ever made.
Yes, "Day of the Dead" is one of the outright best frackin' flicks ever created.

That's all, carry on...

j.p.

Neil
26-Apr-2010, 08:54 AM
God! I'm like feeling a lot of "Day of the Dead love" from you folk here... To think it is/was generally regarded as the weakest of the original trilogy by seemingly most folk!

shootemindehead
26-Apr-2010, 12:11 PM
Considering most people are idiots, that's hardly surprising.

I remember hearing an interview with Lori Cardille about the Premier in New York. There were people booing! Fuckin Booing? Who the hell were those people? She was very upset by that at the time, understandably.

Everyone I know that has seen DotD, either with or without my influence has loved it.

DjfunkmasterG
26-Apr-2010, 12:13 PM
God! I'm like feeling a lot of "Day of the Dead love" from you folk here... To think it is/was generally regarded as the weakest of the original trilogy by seemingly most folk!

I like Day of the Dead, but not as much as I love DAWN of the DEAD. I think Day is probably one of the best zombie films made, and is definitely one of the best horror films made. However, as it being regarded as weak... it sort of is in that when you come off the high of DAWN 78 and then look at DAY... what a contrast in terms of story, development etc. I could see why some considered it a weak film when it opened.

I still think it is one of the best flicks out their in the zombie genre.

Neil
26-Apr-2010, 12:24 PM
I like Day of the Dead, but not as much as I love DAWN of the DEAD. I think Day is probably one of the best zombie films made, and is definitely one of the best horror films made. However, as it being regarded as weak... it sort of is in that when you come off the high of DAWN 78 and then look at DAY... what a contrast in terms of story, development etc. I could see why some considered it a weak film when it opened.

I still think it is one of the best flicks out their in the zombie genre.

When I first saw it, the first couple of mins just blew me away. The sheer apocalyptic bang of it with them landing near the town, and the zombies just looked epic!

DjfunkmasterG
26-Apr-2010, 12:27 PM
When I first saw it, the first couple of mins just blew me away. The sheer apocalyptic bang of it with them landing near the town, and the zombies just looked epic!

Funny you mention that Neil... it is the sheer epic scope of DAY and DAWN that made me a zombie fan and had me scared to death as a child about zombies. It is also one of the reason I shoot in such a large scope for all of my films because I don't feel a zombie film is really scary unless you see the potential or aftermath of a zombie apocalypse.

Trin
26-Apr-2010, 03:24 PM
Funny you mention that Neil... it is the sheer epic scope of DAY and DAWN that made me a zombie fan and had me scared to death as a child about zombies. It is also one of the reason I shoot in such a large scope for all of my films because I don't feel a zombie film is really scary unless you see the potential or aftermath of a zombie apocalypse.True. That's the draw of all the movies. Nowhere to run. Nowhere to hide. In the imortal words of Dr. Logan, "I ask again, where will you go?"

I didn't like Day at first because the characters were so conflicted. After seeing the way the Dawn crew banded together it was a real knock in the head. And then add the whole Bub/Logan thing, which I thought was stupid and wasteful of screen time, then have their little interaction become the undoing of the whole base, followed by Miguel literally letting them in. I just hated it. I was left with the feeling that this was not a story worth telling.

After a while I really dug the whole setup with the bunker and laboratory and pen. The whole experimentation aspect of it. I also got into the introspective nature of the characters. The dialogue (which was heavility criticized when it came out) is one of my favorite aspects of Day. And Day is still the only one that gives me the creeps.

soulsyfn
26-Apr-2010, 03:28 PM
You know I have seen day man times but for some reason I can not remember much about it... but dawn always sticks. I will have to give it a good viewing (while not intoxicated) and come back with some thoughts.

Neil
26-Apr-2010, 03:34 PM
You know I have seen day man times but for some reason I can not remember much about it... but dawn always sticks. I will have to give it a good viewing (while not intoxicated) and come back with some thoughts.

Bub is a work of genius! To produce a zombie with a depth of character, that you actually care about (to some degree), but without making the film daft/stupid, is amazing!

EvilNed
26-Apr-2010, 03:37 PM
I watch Day at least once or twice a year. And for being me, that's quite alot. (I don't re-watch alot of films) And whenever I make a new acquitance and have to break the "Yes, I love those cheesy zombiefilms"-ice, Day of the Dead is ALWAYS the first film I show.

Day of the Dead is probably amongst the films I've seen the greatest number of times. At least 15-20 times. I dare say it's only beaten by The Big Lebowski and Hot Shots 2.

darth los
26-Apr-2010, 03:54 PM
Like an alien? An android? A synthoid, perhaps?

Fembot even? :p

http://therawfeed.com/pix/fembot_on_ebay.jpg

I been dying to get a 6 million dollar man/biobic woman reference in there. lolz

:cool:

shootemindehead
26-Apr-2010, 04:32 PM

Yeh, me too. That scene still creeps me up so much. The greatest opening scene in any zombie flick bar none.

There's one or two zombies in that bunch that sends shivers down my spine. That girl in the majorette uniform and the fat lad in the hat. Dr Tounge too.

It still one of the few films that disturbs me. There's just something bubbling under the surface that's hard to put your finger on.

'Dawn of the Dead', while I still like it, just kind of seems a bit silly now.

darth los
26-Apr-2010, 05:20 PM
'Dawn of the Dead', while I still like it, just kind of seems a bit silly now.

The man himself describes it as a romp. Silly is a bit much but I don't think he considered it scary either.

However, Imo, if dawn's effects were on par with day's we might be saying something different.

DjfunkmasterG
26-Apr-2010, 05:31 PM
I watch Day at least once or twice a year. And for being me, that's quite alot. (I don't re-watch alot of films) And whenever I make a new acquitance and have to break the "Yes, I love those cheesy zombiefilms"-ice, Day of the Dead is ALWAYS the first film I show.

Day of the Dead is probably amongst the films I've seen the greatest number of times. At least 15-20 times. I dare say it's only beaten by The Big Lebowski and Hot Shots 2.

The Big Lebowski gets a lot of playback in my HD DVD player. Don't know what it is about that movie but I friggin love it. :D

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

Bub is a work of genius! To produce a zombie with a depth of character, that you actually care about (to some degree), but without making the film daft/stupid, is amazing!

It makes you wonder how George fucked up big daddy... eh?

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

True. That's the draw of all the movies. Nowhere to run. Nowhere to hide. In the imortal words of Dr. Logan, "I ask again, where will you go?"

I didn't like Day at first because the characters were so conflicted. After seeing the way the Dawn crew banded together it was a real knock in the head. And then add the whole Bub/Logan thing, which I thought was stupid and wasteful of screen time, then have their little interaction become the undoing of the whole base, followed by Miguel literally letting them in. I just hated it. I was left with the feeling that this was not a story worth telling.

After a while I really dug the whole setup with the bunker and laboratory and pen. The whole experimentation aspect of it. I also got into the introspective nature of the characters. The dialogue (which was heavility criticized when it came out) is one of my favorite aspects of Day. And Day is still the only one that gives me the creeps.

I will agree on your comments, and I think Pilato has a lot to do with that being he is the ultimate Alpha Male of sorts. I can't even imagine what being in a bunker like that for 3-4 months (assuming that is the time frame) can do to the human psychy.

However, my pet peeve was always this... as level headed as the scientists were, why didn't they ban together and make a plan not to return the next time they went out in the chopper on a search and resuce.

Sarah, Ted, McDermott and John could have easily slipped away had they played their cards right. Knowing the unit is collapsing, and everyone is about to kill each other, just bugger off and screw everyone else. It's not like Rhodes was going to even be able to find them as he was pretty much stuck if they took off.

Plus, think.. if their had been a sequel... Rhodes and them could have gotten out of there and hunted them down to get his revenge. Would have been an interesting continuation.

shootemindehead
26-Apr-2010, 05:38 PM
The man himself describes it as a romp. Silly is a bit much but I don't think he considered it scary either.

However, Imo, if dawn's effects were on par with day's we might be saying something different.

Very true Darth.

It's unforunate the film stock and Savini's makeup box weren't that compatable.

darth los
26-Apr-2010, 05:45 PM
Very true Darth.

It's unforunate the film stock and Savini's makeup box weren't that compatable.

Also, just as much as anything, the fantasy of being in a secluded mall where my every material desire could be met was very appealing to me when i was a boy. Shit, it still is.

I would wager most people would love to be in that situation, even if they won't admit it.

bassman
26-Apr-2010, 05:47 PM
Everybody would like to have it, but as the film points out....that stuff is not what really matters.

Trin
26-Apr-2010, 06:17 PM
However, my pet peeve was always this... as level headed as the scientists were, why didn't they ban together and make a plan not to return the next time they went out in the chopper on a search and resuce.
Sarah still believed in what they were doing. John wasn't about to go risk his life "in the wild" as events stood. Miguel was still in the picture as a love interest so the chopper wouldn't hold them all. Cooper was too recently deceased to see how the military was going to unwind without him. No one knew what Logan was up to.

In short, the situation when they got onto the chopper at the beginning of the movie was probably far better than when they got off of it. After that the timespan was too short - events happened too quickly - to put together a plan and leave.

Wyldwraith
26-Apr-2010, 06:49 PM
Day is my least favorite of the Unholy Trinity,
That said, it's still quite high on my overall list of favorite movies. I just prefer the original Dawn, Savini's Night, then Land and Day are in a constantly shifting mental dogfight for the #3 spot.

The obvious and intensely transparent BAD DECISIONS the characters in Day made again and again means it always activates my Inner Movie Critic. Allowing Miguel to live, Rhodes breathing, Frankenstein's antics...it's the only one of the three that gives you an immediate feel like "No matter what, these ppl are fucked!" within 10 minutes of first starting. Things were more tense and suspense-ridden in Night and Dawn for me because it wasn't at all obvious if or even when the survivors would bite the bullet. Day protagonists might as well have been issued Dayglo-Colored Death Countdown Clocks imbedded in their foreheads.

Just my OPINION though.

C:/Fodder
26-Apr-2010, 10:56 PM
It's a great film. I'm unsure as to whether or not it overcomes Dawn as my favourite, but it's an absolute delight to watch.

Just the sudden shift from Mall-related antics to cold, continuously tense stalemates is enough to keep me coming back and watching. The soundtrack really helps nail the feeling down, too!

And the gore. Dear lord the gore.

clanglee
27-Apr-2010, 03:51 AM
Fembot even? :p

http://therawfeed.com/pix/fembot_on_ebay.jpg

I been dying to get a 6 million dollar man/biobic woman reference in there. lolz

:stunned: Ooooohhhhhh!!! I want one!!!!!

Day is my favorite as well. I grew up loving Dawn, but the sheer darkness and morbidity of Day just grew on me the older I got.

C5NOTLD
27-Apr-2010, 02:46 PM
Love Night (favorite)
Love Dawn (close to Night) and one of the best film sequels ever made.

I enjoy Day but I certainly don't love it. Among the first three films in the Of The Dead series - Day was my least favorite but I still like watching it.

Going from Night to Dawn was a blast. And when Day was originally released in theaters I anticipated a much larger scale film as if each film expanded as the zombies spread everywhere. You had the smaller House setting in Night, The larger Mall setting in Dawn, and I expected it to expand even further in Day which didn't feel as big as Dawn to me.
Enjoyed the Savini effects. Good film but not my favorite.

Zombie Snack
27-Apr-2010, 09:20 PM
Day IS my Fav all time Romero Film. Day is also in my top 5 all time Fav horror films period.

SRP76
28-Apr-2010, 02:27 AM
I disagree. I much prefer Dawn to Day. In fact, Day is utterly bland if you take the incredible Captain Rhodes out of it.

Neil
28-Apr-2010, 06:20 AM
I disagree. I much prefer Dawn to Day. In fact, Day is utterly bland if you take the incredible Captain Rhodes out of it.

Nah... :)

If only one thing makes Day great, it's "You want to put some kind of explanation on all this? Here's one as good as any other. We're bein' punished by the Creator. He visited a curse on us. Maybe He didn't want to see us blow ourselves up, put a big hole in the sky. Maybe He just wanted to show us He's still the Boss Man. Maybe He figure, we gettin' too big for our britches, tryin' to figure His shit out. "

But seriously, there's a lot of very cool dialogue in that film!

Ghost Of War
28-Apr-2010, 07:11 AM
Might as well chime in...Day Of The Dead is, IMO, the single greatest horror film ever made. It's real horror, hopeless, very little chance of survival, with a bleak, claustrophobic atmosphere which leaves you utterly terrified and depressed. The make up is superb, the script spot on, the acting brilliant (if a little over the top sometimes), for me it's the perfect horror film. It's also in my top 5 films of any genre.

Dawn Of The Dead is also in my top 5, and Iove everything about that film, but it's the feeling I get after watching Day which makes it all the more terrifying, and horror films are supposed to terrify you. So it's win.

shootemindehead
28-Apr-2010, 10:43 AM
Nah... :)

If only one thing makes Day great, it's "You want to put some kind of explanation on all this? Here's one as good as any other. We're bein' punished by the Creator. He visited a curse on us. Maybe He didn't want to see us blow ourselves up, put a big hole in the sky. Maybe He just wanted to show us He's still the Boss Man. Maybe He figure, we gettin' too big for our britches, tryin' to figure His shit out. "

But seriously, there's a lot of very cool dialogue in that film!

Yep, that's chilling. Especially when the wailing goes on in the background. Feckin spooky.

But, I like Logan's yap about the R-complex, how long a zed will survive after revival and the fact that the need to feed is based on some warped, mis-wired logic.

In fact I found the dialogue in Day to be the most absorbing of all the films.

bassman
28-Apr-2010, 11:47 AM
In fact I found the dialogue in Day to be the most absorbing of all the films.

You mean it's more absorbing than such classic line deliveries as "I see you Chocolate Man", "dumb little bastards......little bastards", and "got any cigarettes/STRAIGHT UP"?

And what the hell? I thought this thread was about the Day remake...

mista_mo
28-Apr-2010, 01:32 PM
You mean it's more absorbing than such classic line deliveries as "I see you Chocolate Man", "dumb little bastards......little bastards", and "got any cigarettes/STRAIGHT UP"?

And what the hell? I thought this thread was about the Day remake...

"We got this by the ass! Ally oop"!

*roger leaps into an open door and starts screaming and yelling his head off*

You also left out the WORST line in any MOVIE EVER

"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth".

Seriously, wtf is with that shit?

JDFP
28-Apr-2010, 02:12 PM
Oh c'mon... when it comes to lines, nothing will ever compare to: "I see you, chocolate man!". Not only is this the best line in the Romero trilogy, but it's one of the greatest lines of dialogue ever delivered in a film. Savini should have won an award for it. Did someone say that Savini ad-libbed this? If so, I give kudos to Romero for hearing it and saying: "Hey, that's cool, let's call it a wrap for the day, c'mon and grab a Pall Mall with me, Tommy."

:)

j.p.

shootemindehead
28-Apr-2010, 02:19 PM
"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth".

Seriously, wtf is with that shit?

That's Mucumba, Mo... ;)

DjfunkmasterG
28-Apr-2010, 02:32 PM
That's Mucumba, Mo... ;)

You know... Voodoo... his grandad was a priest in Trinidad

shootemindehead
28-Apr-2010, 11:39 PM
And it's not the weirdest thing old grand dad used to harp on about.

He used to say that if you stick a hot needle down the eye of your penis, you'll get that much wanted promotion at the bank.

Ah...Voodoo...is there nothing it can't do?

DjfunkmasterG
29-Apr-2010, 10:18 AM
And it's not the weirdest thing old grand dad used to harp on about.

He used to say that if you stick a hot needle down the eye of your penis, you'll get that much wanted promotion at the bank.

Ah...Voodoo...is there nothing it can't do?

It can't do my dishes. :D

BillyRay
29-Apr-2010, 02:17 PM
It can't do my dishes. :D

Sure it can. You just need some dishwashing liquid and a live chicken. :elol:

DjfunkmasterG
29-Apr-2010, 03:34 PM
This is poultrygeist ya know. :elol:

Leo
29-Apr-2010, 03:39 PM
Does anyone else think the special effects in day were some of the best? Like the blood color, when the zombies ate people, and when they cut off Miguel's arm; I think that was the best makeup and effects I ever saw in a zombie movie.

AcesandEights
29-Apr-2010, 03:42 PM
Does anyone else think the special effects in day were some of the best? Like the blood color, when the zombies ate people, and when they cut off Miguel's arm; I think that was the best makeup and effects I ever saw in a zombie movie.

Oh, yeah! I completely agree and know I'm not alone here by a long shot. The special effects were incredible and helped the impact of the movie immensely, in my opinion.

darth los
29-Apr-2010, 03:48 PM

I don't know about that but I will say that the performance he delivered is incomparable. Definitely one for the ages.

In fact I couldn't picture anyone else in that role.

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

Oh, yeah! I completely agree and know I'm not alone here by a long shot. The special effects were incredible and helped the impact of the movie immensely, in my opinion.

Agreed.

Neil
29-Apr-2010, 08:54 PM
does anyone else think the special effects in day were some of the best? Like the blood color, when the zombies ate people, and when they cut off miguel's arm; i think that was the best makeup and effects i ever saw in a zombie movie.

+1 :)

shootemindehead
30-Apr-2010, 07:46 AM
This is poultrygeist ya know. :elol:

There ya go. The title of your next film!

Yep.

Dick Smith's blood formula. The formula Tom Savini SHOULD have used in 'Dawn of the Dead'.

He didn't make that mistake twice.

clanglee
02-May-2010, 10:32 AM
There ya go. The title of your next film!

Already taken. . . . .

http://www.detroitindiefest.com/poultrygeist.jpg

shootemindehead
02-May-2010, 08:24 PM
Already taken. . . . .

http://www.detroitindiefest.com/poultrygeist.jpg

Ah feck it. Poor DJ...career over.

childofgilead
03-May-2010, 01:56 AM
When I was younger, Dawn was always my favorite because yeah, it is the definite dream come true, alone in a shopping mall..

As time has gone by though, it's probably my least favorite now. Even Night, in B&W doesn't show it's age as bad as Dawn does.

I really don't know what it is, and although I still hold it dear to my heart, it's probably the one least likely to get played during a zombie movie fest.

The only thing that's started to grate on me as time goes on is how one dimensional the characters in most of Romero's movies are painted. There is no grey area, only black and white.

Sure, in Day there are a few moments that you pick up on if you take the rest of the performances in mind (steele's reluctance to shoot Sarah in the caf, ensuring Miguel has control of the pole, the other soldiers checking their weapons while Rhodes has his back turned to them as he's ordering steele to shoot) but by and large, I dunno..

Anyway, back on topic..nobody else has really pointed this out, but is Day finally getting a little more credit because of the latter 3 we've been subjected to?