PDA

View Full Version : General questions...

scotch egg
25-Apr-2010, 01:38 PM
Hi guys i'm new here and wanted to find out the general consensus on a few things straight from the mouths of the romero fans!

currently studying cult film, and wanted to have a look at what makes romero fans tick.

sooo....

how do you feel about remakes of the originals?

does his new stuff compare to the classics?

what drives you to discuss romero on a forum with other people?

would be great to see what responses i can get! thanks. :skull:

rongravy
25-Apr-2010, 01:54 PM
hook a nigga up. he is the only thing keeping a surprisingly faltering franchise alive. i love everything about zombies, i wish it'd happen so my life can be turned upside down. sad when you wish for this when you still have loved ones in this world...

EvilNed
25-Apr-2010, 02:15 PM
The General Consensus of this place is:

- Give Remakes a Rest. We don't like most of them, altough a select few are alright (Dawn of the Dead, depending on who you're asking)

- His New Stuff does NOT compare to his classics. But most/some find them alright-to-good (myself included)

- We love zombies, and no matter who you ask on this forum, Night, Dawn and Day of the Dead are going to be in their top 10 favourite films of all time.

scotch egg
25-Apr-2010, 02:26 PM
I forgot to say, I am a fan myself, hence choosing romero for my discussion!

i love the remake of Dawn, more as a movie in itself than as a relative of Romero's as obviously the themes and style are vastly different.

have you guys seen survival of the dead yet? i hate to say it, but thought it was pretty bad, maybe his worst?

thanks for the response ;)

AcesandEights
25-Apr-2010, 05:35 PM

I have mixed feelings, acknowledging they are inferior products and in many cases horrible, but liking Dawn '04 as a fun actiony zombie flick.

It doesn't compare, for me. Land I liked, but Diary I was not happy with. I can't speak about Survival, as I've yet to see it.

Well, it's a common interest, of course, but for me it's more of a vehicle for hanging online with cool people, many of whom I consider friends.

And welcome, SE! I've yet to try a scotch egg, myself. Am I missing out???

JDFP
26-Apr-2010, 02:58 AM
The General Consensus of this place is:

- Give Remakes a Rest. We don't like most of them, altough a select few are alright (Dawn of the Dead, depending on who you're asking)

- His New Stuff does NOT compare to his classics. But most/some find them alright-to-good (myself included)

- We love zombies, and no matter who you ask on this forum, Night, Dawn and Day of the Dead are going to be in their top 10 favourite films of all time.

While I generally disagree with most of everything Ned says, I'm with him 100% on the above. Right on.

have you guys seen survival of the dead yet? i hate to say it, but thought it was pretty bad, maybe his worst?

thanks for the response ;)

Oh, you haven't seen "Land" yet. Your appreciation for "Survival" will increase after you do.

j.p.

childofgilead
26-Apr-2010, 05:50 AM
Personally, I'll be glad when zombie movies fade into obscurity again..I think the purpose of ANY good film, but moreso one about the world as we know it grinding to a halt while another rises in it's place is to get people thinking..turning your mind off now and then is fine, which is something I like to do even when watching the trifecta sometimes (night, dawn, day) but something that takes it's ideas from another film or story and adds nothing doesn't interest me.

In my mind, the best remake is NOTLD 90..it's not perfect, but the undead in that one are the ones that have still yet to be beaten..they do in fact look like corpses..

As far as Survival goes..*shudder*..CG has no place in films where you don't have the budget to make it look decent.

DjfunkmasterG
26-Apr-2010, 12:19 PM
Hi guys i'm new here and wanted to find out the general consensus on a few things straight from the mouths of the romero fans!

currently studying cult film, and wanted to have a look at what makes romero fans tick.

sooo....

would be great to see what responses i can get! thanks. :skull:

I personally don't mind the Night and DAWN remakes... but the DAY remake is friggin awful. The story, the screenplay, the direction, just everything about it is below par, considering it had a nearly $20,000,000 budget. However, some here would say DAWN 2004 sucks as well, but I felt at least DAWN 2004 tried to be a horror flick as much as a zombie flick whereas Day 2008 did neither.

HELL NO! - The new stuff wreaks of hackism. The new stuff is corny, over the top stupidity at its finest (I am referring to LAND and SURVIVAL). Diary to me seemed to be a return to roots, and while it isn't great it does work for me. I think Diary would have been rec'd better had it not been shot in first person perspective. George could have achieved the same outcome, doing it third person, but whatever, thats beyond the point. Diary works for me, but the newer three films don't hold a candle to the original 3.

I don't think it is really Romero we talk about as much as it is the genre and the scenarios presented by his films.

scotch egg
26-Apr-2010, 03:39 PM
thanks a lot for your response guys!

JDFP, I have seen Land, was only mildly better than Survival! I though Diary was ok... I tend to think he's flogging a dead horse a bit with the new ones, but people (myself included) will keep on watching as long as it's a Romero film!

How do you guys feel about Romero as 'cult'?

I reckon forums work as a place for those with common interests to get together, but at the moment I'm looking at responses to the films and what discussions come of them. Interesting stuff!

Cheers :D

ps- acesandEights, my friend calls me scotch egg because im scottish, the food is ok! haha. ;)

EvilNed
26-Apr-2010, 03:46 PM
Well, Mister Scotty... Can you change the laws of physics?

scotch egg
26-Apr-2010, 04:08 PM
Miss :)

EvilNed
26-Apr-2010, 04:26 PM
Well, Miss Scotty... That's probably why my Star Trek reference didn't hit home...

darth los
26-Apr-2010, 04:30 PM
I think Diary would have been rec'd better had it not been shot in first person perspective. George could have achieved the same outcome, doing it third person

Again, it's his almost fanatical obsession with driving home his message. The first person perspective was intrigal to that, to the film's detriment, imo.

:cool:

Trin
26-Apr-2010, 06:21 PM
Again, it's his almost fanatical obsession with driving home his message. The first person perspective was intrigal to that, to the film's detriment, imo.

:cool:The message WAS the film's detriment. The first person shooting was just a nice way to make it unwatchable so we don't have to torture ourselves. Thanks GAR!!

Debbieangel
27-Apr-2010, 05:03 PM
Welcome Scottish Egg!!

IMO as long as GAR makes movies we all here will watch them,come here and love/hate them but still watch. Some will also buy the dvd eventho some of his newer films arent up to par.
The way I see it Romero brought the genre to everyone to say what HE wanted to say using zombies as his backdrop. Plus, zombies are fun! Who here would not JUMP at the chance to be an extra in one of his films?
Really, IMO, I am glad he still makes films, I can remember a very very dry period of no Romero films and that sucked BIGTIME!!
As for his films in general I simply look at the scare affect it has on me the first time I watch it. Did I jump? Did pull back away from the theater screen like I was gonna do a backflip over my chair into the person sitting behind me?
A lot of people absolutely HATED Land!(ahem Andy I know I know don't mention that film)
But, the first time I saw it in the theater I about jumped out of my seat when the fliphead zomb did it's thing! You see that is what I love about the zombie movies you don't know where or when they are gonna strike. One bite or scratch and you are history. They are slow moving (my fav) but get enough of them and who knows what will happen? will they kill the actor or is he/she gonna be saved by someone you don't see yet offscreen? Oh, I used to be so totally against fast moving zombies but, they are ok for me now. I just don't like the acrobat zombies that go on ceilings or do karate movesor some other stupid stunt. I mean they are dead they are all messed up!! Sorry, I just had to say that!
You will get a lot of different views on GAR's first triology to his newest movies, to zombie movies in general. Until I joined here I had no idea how many zombie movie that were out there to watch. I have increased my personal zombie dvd collection quite abit.
But, yeah you could say here at hp we love the zombies and love talking about them!
SO, WELCOME TO THE MADHOUSE!!!!:hyper::skull::|:elol:

undead_dan
28-Apr-2010, 10:43 AM
I agree a great deal with Debbie here about how my own personal love of Romero's films have managed to keep me attracted all these years, and that is how freaked out I got from a large group of slow moving zombies, not knowing where they're going to pop up next, and wishing a particularly character is get bumped off, quick!
These fast zombies just seem to take away the creeping suspence IMO.

I remember the first time when I watched NOTLD as a 14 year old, and yeah, I thought it was corny, but watching it over and over again with friends, learning the words, and then starting to watch the sequels have leant to the appreciation.

I watched both Night... and Dawn.. recently with my girlfriend whose film knowledge doesnt deviate far from romcom tosh - and she saw it for it's comedic value, and was definitely not as spooked as I still get by these films :p

DjfunkmasterG
28-Apr-2010, 02:36 PM
You know I have to say that while I hate Land and Survival... if George kept churning out zombie films I would keep watching them... maybe because he seems to be so down to earth when you meet him in person and actually gives a damn about his fan, and that alone has given me a lot of respect for the man even if I don't care for his newer outtings in the genre.

undead_dan
28-Apr-2010, 06:35 PM
I've seen him in interviews and his enthusiasm about fans, and in one literally the surprise he seems to have about people dressing up as zombies, is something which is definitely a draw to appreciating him as a director as he seems humble if anything

And I think just the name George A Romero alone attached to a film, immediately has previous connotations and you know exactly where you're going to be at and what you're going to get.

I dont know though, if he does keep churning out films and they do go amiss, is the strength of the initial trilogy for example enough to keep at the Godlike status in the zombie horror circles?

darth los
28-Apr-2010, 06:38 PM
I dont know though, if he does keep churning out films and they do go amiss, is the strength of the initial trilogy for example enough to keep at the Godlike status in the zombie horror circles?

I would say no. It's like having three championship rings. No matter what happens after that, no one can ever take that away from you.

undead_dan
28-Apr-2010, 06:47 PM
I would say no. It's like having three championship rings. No matter what happens after that, no one can ever take that away from you.

Haha I think that's fair,
but it could to some extent tarnish previous works? People would perhaps think less of him and thus detract from how important his early films were in relation to the zombie films that followed?

Leo
28-Apr-2010, 07:01 PM
I was wondering since GAR is willing to talk to his fans does anyone think someone might have explained to him why his new stuff wasn't on par with his older stuff and if they did do you think he listened or just blew it off?

JDFP
28-Apr-2010, 07:02 PM

Wait, who are we talking about again? George Lucas or Romero?

:)

j.p.

bassman
28-Apr-2010, 07:26 PM
Wait, who are we talking about again? George Lucas or Romero?

I've always maintained that Lucas got lucky with the first Star Wars and the other two were in the hands of better men.(mainly Kirshner & Kasdan)

He relies on better filmmakers(Read: Spielberg) and then tags his name onto it.

DjfunkmasterG
28-Apr-2010, 08:37 PM
I was wondering since GAR is willing to talk to his fans does anyone think someone might have explained to him why his new stuff wasn't on par with his older stuff and if they did do you think he listened or just blew it off?

At the Con in Maryland I mentioned I was a zombie in Land, explained which one I was and mentioned the fiasco of that night with the producer which he did remember, and he asked what did you think of the movie and I told him... I thought it was pretty bad. I was honest with him and I said my main issue was with Big daddy and some of the cinematography. He didn't blow me off but he didn't respond either.

Debbieangel
29-Apr-2010, 02:22 AM
Sorry Scotch Egg!:)

Trin
29-Apr-2010, 02:40 PM
I was honest with him and I said my main issue was with Big daddy and some of the cinematography. He didn't blow me off but he didn't respond either.
Hmmm.... you gave him feedback on Land... then he went and made Diary... you liked Diary....

Conclusion - Deej suggested first person camera style and the Jason message!! It's all Deej's fault!!11!!one!!

:p:moon::elol:

scotch egg
29-Apr-2010, 02:56 PM
Scottish egg? I interpret his name to be an egg pickled in scotch. :D

that sounds pretty gross, but i can see why your mind went there! haha. perhaps i should have chosen a less obscure name...

i would imagine that no matter how dedicated to his fans, GAR probably isn't going to be that inclined to care when told his film isn't good. would you? i'm not sure his films fit in a modern climate, thats why the modern ones arent received so well, the zombie genre has evolved beyond recognition. a man's gotta make a living though! in his case a living through the dead... *apologises for bad joke* :o

AcesandEights
29-Apr-2010, 02:58 PM
Trin has a point, DJ, and he is far from the first person to find your love for Diary a damning mark on your character ;)

JDFP
29-Apr-2010, 03:17 PM
Trin has a point, DJ, and he is far from the first person to find your love for Diary a damning mark on your character ;)

Well DJ isn't the only one that's damned, at least. I quite enjoyed "Diary" myself as well. I guess like many other folks who enjoy some of the newer films ("Diary" IMO) while hating some of them ("Land" IMO) you're basically damned if you like it and damned if you don't. :p

j.p.

AcesandEights
29-Apr-2010, 03:37 PM
Well DJ isn't the only one that's damned, at least. I quite enjoyed "Diary" myself as well. I guess like many other folks who enjoy some of the newer films ("Diary" IMO) while hating some of them ("Land" IMO) you're basically damned if you like it and damned if you don't. :p

j.p.

True! I remember seeing you post that you also liked Diary and weren't into Land. I'm the exact opposite, though I sure will admit that Land has it's fair share of foibles and warts.

Leo
29-Apr-2010, 03:52 PM
I think the zombie genre just needs to come out with one really good movie to revamp it like how the new batman and iron man set a new standard for they're genre. Right now zombie movies are on the same level as batman returns, stupid and no one is gonna remember them.

AcesandEights
29-Apr-2010, 04:01 PM
I think the zombie genre just needs to come out with one really good movie to revamp it like how the new batman and iron man set a new standard for they're genre. Right now zombie movies are on the same level as batman returns, stupid and no one is gonna remember them.

Well, a lot of us have our fingers crossed for The Walking Dead tv adaptation and an eventual film version of World War Z.

Leo
29-Apr-2010, 04:12 PM
yea i can't wait for those to come out. Actually now that I think about it if you want some good zombie stuff zombie comics are really good and not just the walking dead which is very good.

darth los
29-Apr-2010, 05:00 PM

The rubber nipples disagree.

http://picturepoetry.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/batman-nipples.jpg

SRP76
29-Apr-2010, 08:02 PM
They've already done that. The new Batman is totally inferior to the source material, just as, say, the Dawn remake is totally inferior to the original. So I'd say they moving right along in that "new direction".

Leo
29-Apr-2010, 08:19 PM
They've already done that. The new Batman is totally inferior to the source material, just as, say, the Dawn remake is totally inferior to the original. So I'd say they moving right along in that "new direction".

Well a lot of people including myself think the new Batman is much better then the goofy older ones, except the ones with Michael Keaton I thought those were good, but I guess what I was trying to say was zombie movies these days are corny as hell, have horrible acting, and the sfx suck. The genre needs to get a reboot and I think the movies need to be more dark and serious. An example is the feel of the original 3 which was very suspenseful and serious vs. the new ones which didn't really have any suspense, there was no connection to the characters, and the things they did made no sense. In Land the perimeter was electric wire and some plywood which a meat cleaver took care of, which if you're supposed to be the last bastion of humanity then they would have done more to secure the perimeter and maybe even had some guards to warn people if they get through. I think that's one of the biggest problems with the new ones, the characters do things so stupid it just makes the movie suck.