PDA

View Full Version : ew disses day of the dead

Mike70
04-Jun-2006, 02:52 PM
in a feature in the summer tv preview there is an article on horror movies. day of the dead is listed under bad-bad and is referred to as "low rent and god awful. it also indirectly disses land of the dead as well.

I quote:

"day of the dead" (1985) after night of the living dead and dawn of the dead, zombie geeks (you know who you are) expected another george romero cheapie splatterpiece. they're still waiting." emphasis added.

now the moron who wrote this piece of tripe is so friggin inept and apparently unfamiliar with romero's work that the photo included in this insulting piece of sh*t is from dawn of the dead. i believe it is the shot when the elevator doors open near the end of the movie when stephen is trapped.

day of the dead is by far my favorite movie in the entire tetraology and hearing some assbag critic (the most useless form of human life on planet earth other than corporate attorneys) slam it riles me.

AssassinFromHell
04-Jun-2006, 04:27 PM
Is this some teenager jock with a two-by-four up his rear end while idolizing "The Grudge" and constantly insisting that "House of the Dead" kicked ass? Maybe it's the jealous Uwe Boll's alter ego? :eek:

axlish
04-Jun-2006, 05:04 PM
"day of the dead" (1985) after night of the living dead and dawn of the dead, zombie geeks (you know who you are) expected another george romero cheapie splatterpiece. they're still waiting."

Many people agree with this statement, including myself. The only part I disagree with is the "they're still waiting", because I'm not. I feel lucky enough to have Night and Dawn.

ipotts85
04-Jun-2006, 10:48 PM
i agree with that review, although i think day of the dead has taken its place as an equally loved part of that original trilogy...

livingdead7
05-Jun-2006, 05:33 AM
Is this some teenager jock with a two-by-four up his rear end while idolizing "The Grudge" and constantly insisting that "House of the Dead" kicked ass? Maybe it's the jealous Uwe Boll's alter ego? :eek:

Must be. Either way you look at it, Day is still much better than most of the horror movies to come out in recent years.

Danny
05-Jun-2006, 05:44 AM
i dont get this, we think its great because we are all hard core horror fans, but regular movie goers wont see it as the holy grail series of zombie horror so what?, not everyone loves zombie films, it doesnt make em a "teenage loser".

what if i reviewed legally blond badly?, i hate it but it did great at the box office, fans will call me but its still my own view so you cant bad mouth someone for not liking day, its freedom of speech man, let it go.

or in the immortal words of nick frost as ed "chill aaaaght!"

Mike70
05-Jun-2006, 06:29 PM
i dont get this, we think its great because we are all hard core horror fans, but regular movie goers wont see it as the holy grail series of zombie horror so what?, not everyone loves zombie films, it doesnt make em a "teenage loser".

what if i reviewed legally blond badly?, i hate it but it did great at the box office, fans will call me but its still my own view so you cant bad mouth someone for not liking day, its freedom of speech man, let it go.

i called the guy a few choice things but teenage loser wasn't one of them. one of the other posters dropped that epithet.

your point about legally blond is well taken, however, this entire article was about horror movies. it was reviewed by someone supposedly in the know about the genre. it is just my personal preference but i think that day stacks up against most horror movies and is better than 95% of them - again in my humble opinion. day has always been a big favorite of mine and since at lot of folks seem not to like it, i am a bit protective of it.

Hawkboy
05-Jun-2006, 07:01 PM
I've said it once and I'll say it again Day of the Dead is easily the least of the four. Bad acting, bad soundtrack, and a decidedly unambitious script, (I know, I know Mr. Romero had budgetary reasons for limiting the story) all lead to a pretty tepid film in my opinion. Mind you not all the acting is bad ..... the female lead, and Bub are pretty good.

Svengoolie
05-Jun-2006, 07:25 PM
I've gotta go along with axlish and Hawkboy on this one--Day of the Dead is a chunk of dog crap. It always was....and always will be.

BUT--a movie doesn't necessarily have to be good for someone to like it.

While I agree with Hawkboy's breakdown of Day's flaws, I've gotta confess--I still enjoy it for some reason, and still take it down off the shelf every once in a while. Maybe out of habit. Maybe because I'm confusing familiarity with suspect quality. Who knows...:rolleyes:

As for its flaws, I think the poor screenplay eclipses the bad acting. If it had a better plot, and not so many obvious plot holes which were mostly designed to get the zombies eating--the bread and butter of the series....I think it would've been more acceptable, even with the talent
GAR had to work with (I've always assumed he simply cast whoever he'd met while drinking at a dive bar the night before he started shooting).

bassman
05-Jun-2006, 07:28 PM
I think it would've been more acceptable, even with the talent
GAR had to work with (I've always assumed he simply cast whoever he'd met while drinking at a dive bar the night before he started shooting).

That's basically what he did with the actors in "Dawn":p

Philly_SWAT
05-Jun-2006, 08:20 PM
now the moron who wrote this piece of tripe is so friggin inept and apparently unfamiliar with romero's work that the photo included in this insulting piece of sh*t is from dawn of the dead. i believe it is the shot when the elevator doors open near the end of the movie when stephen is trapped.Did you see this article in the actual mag, or online? If online, maybe providing a link would be nice. Seems unusual that you wouldnt know from which movie and where the pic is from.

Excellent point here. Although, Legally Blond does not have a lot in the way of clever, smart, social commentary, and for example Dawn does, so I would say a critical reviewer, while maybe personally preferring Legally Blond to Dawn, would still have to acknowledge that Dawn is better.

I've said it once and I'll say it again Day of the Dead is easily the least of the four. Bad acting, bad soundtrack, and a decidedly unambitious script, (I know, I know Mr. Romero had budgetary reasons for limiting the story) all lead to a pretty tepid film in my opinion. Mind you not all the acting is bad ..... the female lead, and Bub are pretty good.
I would have to disagree with a lot of your points here. I dont think it was bad acting. The actors acting out the script that they had. I think that the soundtrack is brilliant. Listen to it sometime, without watching the movie. I think that the script was great. Everyone always pines for the original script, but look how Day turned out? Who knows what kind of "Day" we would have if they did not cut his budget. I think the finished product is brilliant in its own right.

DjfunkmasterG
05-Jun-2006, 08:32 PM
I don't put a lot of faith in EW reviews. There are only a handful of critics I will even humor in regards to their review and EW has only one of four critics I can stomach.

Although Day isn't perfect, it didn't deserve the slap down this jackass gave it, had he said it about LOTD I would have agreed.

Hawkboy
05-Jun-2006, 09:16 PM
I don't think Day is 'CRAP' but it's not amazing or fantastic like Mr. Romeros other films.

By the way......just so everyone knows it's not blond it's 'Blonde'. Is there is some sort of spell that makes everyone in this thread spell the word wrong? :p

Someone took rep away from me for that? Hoo boy. That goes right up there with me losing Rep for saying I don't like Friday the 13th movies.

ipotts85
06-Jun-2006, 01:21 AM
I don't think Day is 'CRAP' but it's not amazing or fantastic like Mr. Romeros other films.

By the way......just so everyone knows it's not blond it's 'Blonde'. Is there is some sort of spell that makes everyone in this thread spell the word wrong? :p

Someone took rep away from me for that? Hoo boy. That goes right up there with me losing Rep for saying I don't like Friday the 13th movies.

blond is the masculine form of the word, so it isn't spelled wrong, it's just grammatically wrong.

Mike70
06-Jun-2006, 01:36 AM
Did you see this article in the actual mag, or online?

it was in the actual mag - like i said the summer tv preview issue.

livingdead7
06-Jun-2006, 04:14 AM

While your point is valid, I think you're referring to something different than what scipio is talking about. Scipio's post was about someone bashing a movie even though they are ignorant to anything about it. For example...a guy I know will say that Resident Evil was a better movie than Dawn of the Dead. He has said this to me many times, and its a good show of the idiocy that many people show in this regard. It's one thing to not like a movie, but its a whole different scenario when you bash it due to not liking it.

Danny
06-Jun-2006, 09:46 AM
days my least favourite of the four but ts not becuase its a bad film it just tries to recreate day and dawns sense of claustrophobia and comes up short and even though the acting was great the whole filmed felt like an epilougue to dawn rather than a stand alone feature in its own right and as such i feel its the weakest of all four films for me its allways been:

dawn 78
night6-sumthin
land
night 90's
dawn04
day

MinionZombie
06-Jun-2006, 10:01 AM
I thought Day of the Dead was great, that person whinging and moaning no doubt has a grudge against Romero or his movies or 'us folk' who watch them. GAR's zombie films are also much more than cheap splatter flicks as well, clearly the guy has no time for/no understanding of GAR's movies. Like Adreno said, he's probably sucking off The Grudge (American version) as we speak. :lol:

Danny
06-Jun-2006, 11:02 AM
what was wrong with the grude?:D

Tullaryx
06-Jun-2006, 03:10 PM
what was wrong with the grude?:D

Well, I don't think there's anything wrong with the grude, but I do think The Grudge hastened the end of the American-remakes of Japanese gothic.

As for Day of the Dead, I actually thought of all the dead films it was the most damning in terms of Romero's outlook on humanity. He pretty much says that humanity sucks and deserves whatever apocalyptic scenario falls on it. It may not have the satirical, black humor brilliance of the original Dawn of the Dead, it does try to emulate the claustrophobic mood of Night of the Living Dead.

I think where Day shows its flaws is not the actors, but the way their characters are drawn. Romero really created quite a cast of general caricatures of the competing camps of military and scientists with John and McDermott representing everyone else caught in-between. Romero's social commentary also became less subtle with Day (which seemed like a precursor for Land) and i think that was probably due to Romero's disenchantment of the decade he was living in. I mean it was the height of the Cold War and everyone thought Reagan was crazy and senile enough to press the button.

kar98k
06-Jun-2006, 08:01 PM
Well, I don't think there's anything wrong with the grude, but I do think The Grudge hastened the end of the American-remakes of Japanese gothic.

As for Day of the Dead, I actually thought of all the dead films it was the most damning in terms of Romero's outlook on humanity. He pretty much says that humanity sucks and deserves whatever apocalyptic scenario falls on it. It may not have the satirical, black humor brilliance of the original Dawn of the Dead, it does try to emulate the claustrophobic mood of Night of the Living Dead.

I think where Day shows its flaws is not the actors, but the way their characters are drawn. Romero really created quite a cast of general caricatures of the competing camps of military and scientists with John and McDermott representing everyone else caught in-between. Romero's social commentary also became less subtle with Day (which seemed like a precursor for Land) and i think that was probably due to Romero's disenchantment of the decade he was living in. I mean it was the height of the Cold War and everyone thought Reagan was crazy and senile enough to press the button.

i think that Dawn of the Dead was Romero's best work and had the biggest social statement of all of his films. the shopping mall thing said alot about America's obsession with material items

DeadCentral
06-Jun-2006, 08:56 PM
I saw Dawn as a youngster when it hit theaters, it started my obsession with GEORGES films.
I also saw DAY in the theaters when I was 18, and for me, it gave the "impending end" impression. As if all of humanity was lost and nothing was left but the decrepid side of man.

I thought the film was acted well, based in the scenario these remnants of society had left..... each took on their own form of insanity as would most humans if facing inevitble extinction.
Rhodes had his Napoleon complex, Rickles & Steele were looking for direction, John & Billy were resigned to finishing out their time with drink in hand, Sarah was obsessed with burying herself in a solution rather than facing the facts and Logan had just simply flipped his lid ...
the breaking down of order is chaotic, funny, dangerous and off the mark, so any real judgement of the film, in my mind, should be based on how the actors portrayed their parts in the position supposed in the film. I think, personally, each actor pulled it of pretty damn good.

I think DAY was to be a more personal film that added the social commentary from the 80's situations, Military spending was run amok with Reagan, scientists were looking at smaller budgets due to this , and AIDS was a brand new threat that needed to be addressed. John and Billy represent much of the yuppy class along with the upcoming generation who could care less about the state of things & would much rather just toss back a couple of shots & look the other way.
It is still my favorite of the 4 so far, due to the atmosphere and ambience of the film, the world being totally upside down & literally speaking, the Dead were walking above ground and the living were hiding underground... i find that rather ironic.

MinionZombie
06-Jun-2006, 09:48 PM
Put some meat on your bones man, you're wasting away! :eek:

The Grudge was *sigh* yet more J-Horror meets America arse. It had a couple of good scares in the first 10 minutes, but there's only so much "scary child with black hair over face" sh*t I can put up with before it's hackneyed.

Eyebiter
06-Jun-2006, 10:07 PM
Day of the Dead (1985) is a cult movie.

Recall the first time I saw that movie back in 1986, rented it from Best Buy (back when they rented vhs tapes). As a teenager hated both Rhoades and Dr. Frankenstein.

20 years later picked up the DVD, and have come to appreciate it. Listening to the dvd commentary is a big part of it. Understanding the conditions the film was made, the cuts required for the unrated budget, the abilities of Savini and Co on the special effects.