PDA

View Full Version : Instead..

childofgilead
03-May-2010, 01:41 AM
..of bringing someone else's thread back from the dead, which is apparently a no-no, I'll just start a new one..because that's alot better.

Spoilers, obviously, below.

I ordered Survival from Amazon a few weeks ago and was finally able to view it when it arrived almost 4 days overdue..

After my first viewing I was shocked. I can't believe the poor quality of this thing. From the poor compositing done on the CGI, the acting, script, cinemaphotography, lighting..God..I just can't believe something this slapped together was made. Much less with MONEY.

It's fine to say it's a black comedy or lighthearted, but in that case, the whole experience is uneven. At the beginning when the O'Flynn posse is at the residence of a Muldoon whose children are undead, there is a sense of drama, of people being forced to do things they really don't want to do.

Then, that whole "drama" thing is quickly passed by so we can get back to Captain Miscellaneous and his wacky band of deserters and see what hijinks they get themselves into.

Shaun of the Dead is the first, and so far only movie to get this absolutely right. You CAN sometimes have your horror with comedy, or vice versa, but apparently it takes someone with a more anglo-saxon mindset to do it correctly.

Now, I'm not just going to go off on a tangent about how lacking his last several movies have been, but I kinda have been wondering if the insular familial attitude that the previous films seem to display in the commentaries and special features contributed to their quality.

Or am I completely off the mark, and it's nothing but nostalgia?

Dunno, but I think it's really telling that this thing is having so much trouble even picking up somebody in the states to distribute this thing. I've honestly seen Sci-Fi originals with better production values and that very thought sends shivers down my spine.

But then you're obliged to ask if more money would really help things. I'm at a loss with that one. I'm sorry that anybody connected with this thing got ANY of my hard earned money, I already sold it to a fella at work for 5 dollars. And I honestly felt like I was robbing him at that price, and made it known to him.

I really don't know what else I can say about the thing. If you're a fan, I guess you'll watch it anyway, and I feel you should, to form your own opinion, just..honestly..just, unless you don't care about where your money goes, get this as cheaply as possible.

ChokeOnEm
03-May-2010, 04:19 AM
Dunno, but I think it's really telling that this thing is having so much trouble even picking up somebody in the states to distribute this thing. I've honestly seen Sci-Fi originals with better production values and that very thought sends shivers down my spine.

I don't think there is any proof that this movie had trouble securing US distribution.
YES, the UK got first dibs, but for all we know, behind-the-scenes bidding wars were occurring all along stateside. Maybe both the Weinsteins and Magnet wanted it? Maybe Romero's team were holding out for a higher offer? Who knows? This is not to suggest that Hollywood breathlessly awaits Romero’s every move. However, as Romero has stated himself, Land and Diary did boffo business on dvd. Why would the expectations for Survival be any different?

Scifiwire, or whoever it was that wrote the article alleging that Survival had trouble picking up distribution, offered no proof besides the fact that no official US deal had been announced. That means nothing. At the end of the day, Magnet Releasing (hot off the heels of “Let the One In”) picked it up. They’re a great company with a growing catalogue of acclaimed genre releases. I think it’s a perfect fit.

PS for the record, I too thought the movie was weak as balls.

childofgilead
03-May-2010, 04:49 AM
Well, the only place that I read any info about the release was here, and there were several open topics about the lack of US releases, so if my info was incorrect, I do apologize.

However, something still doesn't sit right with me about the release. This is clearly an abnormal release strategy, and really makes no sense, because of the ease of piracy these days and the lack of initiative to see something on the big screen after you've seen the DVD or watched it on VOD.

Something like a sci-fi or fantasy epic is one thing, I don't see how this would improve at all being viewed on a larger screen.

ChokeOnEm
03-May-2010, 05:03 AM
Well, the only place that I read any info about the release was here, and there were several open topics about the lack of US releases, so if my info was incorrect, I do apologize.

All based on one article from Scifi.com that didn't substantiate it's premise at all. Romero's work has never been mainstream or opened on 5000 multiplex screens. Before "Land", Romero was struggling to get his stuff released. Nothing has changed.

However, something still doesn't sit right with me about the release. This is clearly an abnormal release strategy, and really makes no sense, because of the ease of piracy these days and the lack of initiative to see something on the big screen after you've seen the DVD or watched it on VOD.

I have no idea how the foreign distribution rights are worked out. As far as Magnet's release strategy in the states...for an independent company, I think they've done a great job. IMO there is a stronger web presence for "Survival" than there was for Diary's rollout.

soulsyfn
10-May-2010, 08:25 PM
I saw on apple's trailer site that Survival as a US release date of May 28th, however I did find it on ONDemand last night for $9.99...

Seems a tad high to me, but does anyone think its worth it?

ChokeOnEm
10-May-2010, 09:50 PM
I saw on apple's trailer site that Survival as a US release date of May 28th, however I did find it on ONDemand last night for $9.99...

Seems a tad high to me, but does anyone think its worth it?

At that price...I have to say no.

ProfessorChaos
10-May-2010, 10:33 PM
survival of the dead is the first time in quite a while when i've actually gave up and turned a movie off. i wasn't expecting much, and even then, i was terribly let down by the stuff i watched...enough to just say fuck it.

i've heard a lot of people say that didn't like land or diary, and some that did. but to me, it's hard to believe that someone would actually prefer this film to either of those.

and i wouldn't pay any more than 5 bucks to view this. definitely not getting added to the dvd collection.

ChokeOnEm
11-May-2010, 01:15 AM
Qualitywise, I thought it was about even with Land. Land has better and more gore. However, Survival is 100% Big Daddy free, so that's gotta count for something! :lol:
More than likely I will pick it up on dvd. Diary was the first Romero zombie film that I had no interest adding to my collection whatsoever.