PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play Guild Wars here?

Neil
05-May-2010, 10:43 AM
A group of us have just jumped into it...

Danny
05-May-2010, 11:02 AM
sorry, wowfag reporting in.:D

Neil
05-May-2010, 11:27 AM
sorry, wowfag reporting in.:D

Explain?

Danny
05-May-2010, 11:34 AM
Explain?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/halolz-dot-com-worldofwarcraftcatac.jpg

AcesandEights
05-May-2010, 02:38 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/halolz-dot-com-worldofwarcraftcatac.jpg

:lol: I am so far removed from my WoW experience at this point that this is the first I'm seeing of this image. Brilliant in it's simple honesty!

Neil
05-May-2010, 02:59 PM
OK! I am totally confused :(

AcesandEights
05-May-2010, 03:21 PM
OK! I am totally confused :(

Hellsing answered your question about whether anyone here plays Guild Wars by saying, in effect, 'Not me, mate. I play World of Warcraft.' When you asked for an explanation he responded with a meme (he may dispute my use of the term in this instance) that underscored his playing of WoW. I thought it was funny because of how accurate said meme was and commented as such.

Sorry for the topic derail, by the way.

I've never played Guild Wars, is it a very active gaming community and still supported by the developers?

Neil
05-May-2010, 03:25 PM
Hellsing answered your question about whether anyone here plays Guild Wars by saying, in effect, 'Not me, mate. I play World of Warcraft.' When you asked for an explanation he responded with a meme (he may dispute my use of the term in this instance) that underscored his playing of WoW. I thought it was funny because of how accurate said meme was and commented as such.

Sorry for the topic derail, by the way.

I've never played Guild Wars, is it a very active gaming community and still supported by the developers?

Oh! I know nothing of WoW so no surprise I didn't get any of that!

Guild Wars still seems to have a pretty active community, and is still supported yes :) GW2 is out next year I believe :)

AcesandEights
05-May-2010, 03:53 PM
GW2 is out next year I believe :)

Just did a quick bit of reading up on it (wiki) and it sounds fun enough. I'll keep an eye on the 2nd iteration when it's released.

Neil
05-May-2010, 07:47 PM
Just did a quick bit of reading up on it (wiki) and it sounds fun enough. I'll keep an eye on the 2nd iteration when it's released.

Main attraction for me (us) is no monthly charge!

The trilogy was on offer on Steam :)

Terran
06-May-2010, 03:55 AM
In regards to WoW....I played till I was a level 69 Undead Necro ....Then I suddenly exclaimed "Sweet Jesus I hate this game, why on earth have I been playing this for so long!"...I just couldnt figure out the appeal.... Just not my type of game I suppose.

clanglee
06-May-2010, 06:26 AM

Has that happened yet? Looks pretty cool, but I always enjoyed the Barrens(chat off of course) as a good low level area. Looked pretty. Might have to pick WOW back up for a month or two to take a gander

Danny
06-May-2010, 10:13 AM
Has that happened yet? Looks pretty cool, but I always enjoyed the Barrens(chat off of course) as a good low level area. Looked pretty. Might have to pick WOW back up for a month or two to take a gander

nope, all part of the next expansion 'cataclysm' where the world is gonna be completely upheaved with natural disasters, places like thousand needles gets flooded, part of stormwind is destroyed, since the lich king is now dead the plaguelands are receding ect.

Though you dont need the expansion, you could put in vanilla wow with no expansions and come the day of the cataclysm the world is changing for everyone regardless. a lot of people complained how its not going to be the same anymore but if your paying for a persistent online world would you want it to after 5 years? I mean the peasents have been working on the roof of westfall in for 5 years now y'know? :lol:

heres a bunch of stuff leaked today from the cataclysm alpha showing the changes to the world: http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php

mista_mo
06-May-2010, 12:59 PM
I've never played guild wars, but was very active in Eve online...now that, is a hit or miss game. Sometimes it would be the most exhilarating thing in existence, such as when you are involved in roaming ship gangs, running around hostile territory hunting for enemy targets. Then, on the other end of the spectrum, you have the mining, and manufacturing, and mission running...and blegh...

That said, I still have fond memories of my first large scale pvp conflict, which involved the besieging of a player operated structure, with a fleet composed almost entirely of battleships and a dozen or so dreadnoughts.

Shit was epic.

I've also played Warhammer online, and while I enjoyed it, i had to choose between that, or Eve online, so I never bothered going past a trial account with WHO. Good thing as well, considering the recent scandals that have been associated with Mythic, the most disturbing of which is the fact that all players that have owned a paid account in the past, or owned one at the time of the occurrence, ended up being charged upwards of 2000 dollars. All due to errors with the billing company. Good God man, that was messed up.

Danny
06-May-2010, 01:11 PM
I've never played guild wars, but was very active in Eve online...now that, is a hit or miss game. Sometimes it would be the most exhilarating thing in existence, such as when you are involved in roaming ship gangs, running around hostile territory hunting for enemy targets. Then, on the other end of the spectrum, you have the mining, and manufacturing, and mission running...and blegh...

That said, I still have fond memories of my first large scale pvp conflict, which involved the besieging of a player operated structure, with a fleet composed almost entirely of battleships and a dozen or so dreadnoughts.

Shit was epic.

I've also played Warhammer online, and while I enjoyed it, i had to choose between that, or Eve online, so I never bothered going past a trial account with WHO. Good thing as well, considering the recent scandals that have been associated with Mythic, the most disturbing of which is the fact that all players that have owned a paid account in the past, or owned one at the time of the occurrence, ended up being charged upwards of 2000 dollars. All due to errors with the billing company. Good God man, that was messed up.

i had a 30 day account for WAR, i was chaos, obviously, and i could barely play it through the glitches, like an imperial rifleman would suddenly explode and his character model would turn into some kind fo inside out polygonal spider, it was kinda disturbing.

oh well, whent back to wow, shame its sinking:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/stormwind_35.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/ashenvale_25.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/1kneedles_23.jpg

mista_mo
06-May-2010, 01:22 PM
Indeed, it was buggy as shit, but playing as an Ork Choppa was all kinds of fun.

I seriously cannot wait til the 40k mmo comes out...I am gonna purge the shit out of everything for the Emprah,

Danny
06-May-2010, 01:25 PM
Indeed, it was buggy as shit, but playing as an Ork Choppa was all kinds of fun.

I seriously cannot wait til the 40k mmo comes out...I am gonna purge the shit out of everything for the Emprah,

im gonna make a fukkin' tau, spread the word of unity and peace and working together.

that or a grey knight, gonna purge me some deamons, shit be possesin' pyskers and whatnot son.

mista_mo
06-May-2010, 03:44 PM
Jokes on you, the mmo takes place in Segmentum Obscurus, which is wayyyyyyyy far away from Tau space.

Thank God for that.

I imagine that playable factions will be something like

Imperium (Imperial Guard, Astartes, Sisters)
Orks
Eldar
Chaos.

I really have a hard time believe that they will be able to keep space marines balanced if they are PCs, especially compared to the far squishier Guardsmen, Eldar, and comparatively, Orks. Maybe as if you play as Guardsmen, you control a squad of 10, while if you play as a Space Marine, you control 1 or 2 soldiers.

That is even if you can play as Space Marines.

LoSTBoY
07-May-2010, 03:37 PM

No one expects the Inquisition! :sneaky:

If the Inquisition is not a choice then an Astarte for sure.

Oh and people, Age of Conan, have a look folks. :p

Wyldwraith
01-Jun-2010, 03:18 PM
Played a lot of Guild Wars,
Maxed out a couple chars. my primary being an Elementalist/Mesmer that I sometimes switch Ele/Necro. Went back to it for awhile and bought the expansions in 1 pack, but then I kinda drifted off when my health worsened.

Guild Wars is indisputably one of the finest MMOs ever created, and manages to balance having lots to do solo, and the ability to create, customize and control your own group via the Hero System, with the group-oriented elements of the game.

Guild Wars 2 now contains all my prayers so there will be SOMETHING worth playing in the MMO genre again. Can't wait for it.

Played WoW and was a serious raider up to and through most of Ulduar, but then I burnt out. The gimmicky fights, the addition of another difficulty level of raid zones, the ever-increasing demands for greater commitment of my time by my high-end raiding guild that basically amounted to working a job full time for free....and finally the insistence on running tons of raids to gear up Alt characters where the leadership demanded many of us spend hours on our Mains to help outfit Alts that were NEVER going to become part of our raiding force....

Led to one thing. TERMINAL BURNOUT. WoW is just more, more, more and more of the same variation on a theme anymore. I pray that SOMEONE will finally get their shit together and actually create the WoW-Killing MMO.

So many have taken up the challenge. All have failed.

PC games in general have been dead lately. Not much good coming out til Diablo 3 and GW2.