PDA

View Full Version : DEADLANDS 3 UPDATES - May 6th 2010

DjfunkmasterG
06-May-2010, 10:06 AM
SO, let's drop some updates. While at CON-TAMINATION I shared some good news I rec'd on Friday afternoon with the guys behind the NOTLD: TPS (Night of the Living Dead: The Puppet Show, which BTW I highly recommend you check out.) Anyway, I will share that info with everyone very very soon.

I did some networking at the event with some of the celebs on hand. I pitched the script to Brooke McCarter and Billy Wirth who both starred in the 1987 cult classic The Lost Boys. Billy took the script with him on the plane, and Brooke took his copy to read as well. I am really excited they see the potential in the project, and hoping they join the cast, updates on that hopefully by end of next week.

Met with Brinke Stevens and talked about the role of Emma Jane. While Brinke is one of the most known scream queens she is actually a very talented individual and I would like to see her branch out into more dramatic roles I truly feel she can do the part and will excel at it.

Of course nothing is complete without talking about the films score. Brian Wright and I have been composing the Deadlands movie scores together since part 1, and good friend Marq-Paul LaRose contributed a piece to the Deadlands 2 soundtrack. I know everyone enjoys our compositions and they fit well in the context of the film and our love of 80's horror, but I had the chance to meet with Harry Manfredini while I was at the St. Louis Con, and if you know the name you know what he is famous for... anyway, Harry has been wanting to do a rock based score for a zombie film for sometime so I dropped the screenplay into his lap, talked some shop and it seems he is interested in jumping aboard. Now does this mean Brian and I won't being doing the score? No... What it does mean is that if Harry does join the crew end of the film, it can free up Brian and I do maybe write some different types of music for Deadlands 3. I think Brian and I will still contribute a piece or two to the score, but I would like us to work on original songs dealing with the story of the movie. More on that later.

In the next few weeks, stay tuned for video updates about Deadlands 3. I will be shooting some web videos on the production and my thoughts about the film. I will also be working on some concept art for the story boards of the movie. Also for those not in the know or haven't been keeping up... Deadlands 3 is budgeted at $1,000,000 USD.

Anyway... tata for now.

Gary

MinionZombie
06-May-2010, 11:48 AM
Spiffing updates, old bean. Hopefully this all comes together! :cool:

EvilNed
20-May-2010, 06:38 PM
1,000,000? Congratulations, that's a shitload of money. Your movie is going to cost twice as much as modern Troma films! Congrats!

bassman
20-May-2010, 06:52 PM
1,000,000? Congratulations, that's a shitload of money.

A shitload of money to make it EPIC!!!!!! :p

Congrats on the third film rolling along, man.

EvilNed
20-May-2010, 09:38 PM
OMG SPEND IT ALL ON EXTRAS COME ON YOU CAN DO IT, PUSSY!!!

I'm sorry. I'll stop doing that... :p

DjfunkmasterG
21-May-2010, 12:31 AM
A shitload of money to make it EPIC!!!!!! :p

Congrats on the third film rolling along, man.

OMG SPEND IT ALL ON EXTRAS COME ON YOU CAN DO IT, PUSSY!!!

I'm sorry. I'll stop doing that... :p

I don't need $1,000,000 to make it EPIC, Deadlands 2 proved that and it only cost $6,000.00 :lol:

EvilNed
21-May-2010, 06:14 AM
Question about work:

I assume most people worked for free on the first two films. If not, who got paid? And what positions are going to get paid for this film? Just a genuine question.

DjfunkmasterG
21-May-2010, 11:00 AM
On the first two films there was no pay, but Gas or Hotel stays were covered and food was of course covered.

Deadlands 3: Everyone will get paid.

fulci fan
21-May-2010, 05:27 PM
Deadlands 3: Everyone will get paid.

:D

Where are the updates, dude? I am getting worried. :confused:

DjfunkmasterG
21-May-2010, 06:20 PM

Where are the updates, dude? I am getting worried. :confused:

You will get them when there is an update worth giving. :p

Right now we just sit back and chill until everything is in place. When you go from $6,000.00 to $1,000,000 budget there are a lot more I's to dot and T's to cross.

The contract paperwork alone makes our waivers and general releases look like child's play.

When it comes to dispersing the funds needed to make the movie you guys will be buried up to your heads in paperwork. Including having to save every receipt, noting every expense, noting every mile you drive and filing the proper TAX forms.

Trust me you think working on my films with a measly budget is a headache wait until you see what you just have to do on your end to make sure all legal business needs are met... you will probably wanna quit the business.

fulci fan
21-May-2010, 06:28 PM
You will get them when there is an update worth giving. :p

Right now we just sit back and chill until everything is in place. When you go from $6,000.00 to $1,000,000 budget there are a lot more I's to dot and T's to cross.

The contract paperwork alone makes our waivers and general releases look like child's play.

When it comes to dispersing the funds needed to make the movie you guys will be buried up to your heads in paperwork. Including having to save every receipt, noting every expense, noting every mile you drive and filing the proper TAX forms.

Trust me you think working on my films with a measly budget is a headache wait until you see what you just have to do on your end to make sure all legal business needs are met... you will probably wanna quit the business.

Dude, nothing is worse than the job I have now.

btw: Once the story boards are done, I will need to see them.

DjfunkmasterG
21-May-2010, 06:48 PM
Dude, nothing is worse than the job I have now.

btw: Once the story boards are done, I will need to see them.

I think we all hate our day jobs, but you just have to keep pushing until things get aligned.

If anyone thinks I enjoy getting up in the morning and going into work so that everything I do is closely monitored by a manager/director who has a Napoleonic complex is fun, they are sorely mistaken. Him and I have already had it out once and he has backed off a bit, but even this morning because I took the day off I got a load of shit about it.

I like my job because I am part of something that could lead to cures for cancer, HPV, AIDS etc, but the BS and politics involved with working out of the corporate headquarters is enough to drive anyone insane. Not too mention having to deal with DARTH TATER (this is what I call him) I should call him LORD HELMET because he reminds me of Rick Moranis playing DARK HELMET. Not that he looks like him, but he acts like Rick did in Spaceballs, and not ina comedic way, although to get through the day or when having to deal with his BS I just picture him wearing the over sized helmet and start to cheer up.

fulci fan
21-May-2010, 07:00 PM
I think we all hate our day jobs, but you just have to keep pushing until things get aligned.

If anyone thinks I enjoy getting up in the morning and going into work so that everything I do is closely monitored by a manager/director who has a Napoleonic complex is fun, they are sorely mistaken. Him and I have already had it out once and he has backed off a bit, but even this morning because I took the day off I got a load of shit about it.

I like my job because I am part of something that could lead to cures for cancer, HPV, AIDS etc, but the BS and politics involved with working out of the corporate headquarters is enough to drive anyone insane. Not too mention having to deal with DARTH TATER (this is what I call him) I should call him LORD HELMET because he reminds me of Rick Moranis playing DARK HELMET. Not that he looks like him, but he acts like Rick did in Spaceballs, and not ina comedic way, although to get through the day or when having to deal with his BS I just picture him wearing the over sized helmet and start to cheer up.

Maybe if DL3 turns out really good, you and I won't need day jobs. :lol:

You going to shoot on film or video?

DjfunkmasterG
21-May-2010, 07:42 PM
Maybe if DL3 turns out really good, you and I won't need day jobs. :lol:

You going to shoot on film or video?

We have access tot he following Camera systems:

Super 35 Movie Cam (Pushing for this)
Spherical 35MM (Not fond of because it can't do 2.35:1)
Sony EX3
Red One

fulci fan
21-May-2010, 08:25 PM
We have access tot he following Camera systems:

Super 35 Movie Cam (Pushing for this)
Spherical 35MM (Not fond of because it can't do 2.35:1)
Sony EX3
Red One

Dude, shoot on film. Not many people take films on video serious.

DjfunkmasterG
21-May-2010, 10:48 PM

that is because most SOV films look like THEY WERE shot on Video

Deadlands 2 is an example of how to do it and make it look like bad 16mm

Deadlands 1 looks like SOV

fulci fan
22-May-2010, 12:49 AM
I see what you mean, but the only SOV movie that looks like actual film to me is 28 Days. Even Laid to Rest looks like it was SOV and they used some fancy ass cameras but they were still video. 35 mm will make it looks that much more epic.

EvilNed
22-May-2010, 11:24 AM

Quite the opposite, alot of films are shot digitally these days. The Red One is a remarkeable camera. It's slightly cheaper to shoot on a Digital Medium as well, as you won't have to worry about film transports or developing and scanning it.

fulci fan
22-May-2010, 01:09 PM
Quite the opposite, alot of films are shot digitally these days. The Red One is a remarkeable camera. It's slightly cheaper to shoot on a Digital Medium as well, as you won't have to worry about film transports or developing and scanning it.

Yeah, I heard that was a good camera.

DjfunkmasterG
22-May-2010, 03:42 PM
Survival of the Dead was shot on the RED and it doesn't look all that great, but The Book of Eli was shot on the RED as well and that looks great so when it comes to the RED it is all in the knowledge and operator, plus DP.

MinionZombie
22-May-2010, 04:10 PM
I thought Survival looked rather good. A few times it looks like it's on Red, but most of the time it looked rather spiffing. It's a beautiful looking film, and the shots are just lovely. :)

kchertu
23-May-2010, 02:47 PM
It's slightly cheaper to shoot on a Digital Medium as well, as you won't have to worry about film transports or developing and scanning it.

Slightly cheaper? More like tremendously cheaper.

As far as not many people take SOV movies seriously, that's a statement that was valid 6 years ago, but things are a changin my friend. 99% of movies will be SOV within a few more years and the reason is with the new amazing cameras coming out all the people clinging to film are being won over... it's almost ridiculous at this point to shoot on film if you have a low budget (anything under $3M) because you have such little funds to work with, why put 1/4 of it towards film when you can shoot on video at a fraction of the cost and look 97% as good? They shot the last episode of House on the "still camera" that I own and it looked absolutely amazing.

"Laid to Rest" really looked SOV... I'm not sure why, but it did. But, my movie "Ghosts Don't Exist" was shot on the Red, it did not look SOV. A lot of it comes down to having a crew who knows what the heck they are doing with lighting and using the space you have correctly. Also, a lot of the magic happens in post to make the image look right.

EvilNed
23-May-2010, 03:26 PM
Survival of the Dead was shot on the RED and it doesn't look all that great, but The Book of Eli was shot on the RED as well and that looks great so when it comes to the RED it is all in the knowledge and operator, plus DP.

Well, that, but the lenses play a huge part in it too. I thought Survival looked great, too, tho.

Slightly cheaper? More like tremendously cheaper.

Well, alright, I'm not that into the economics of the whole thing. I just know it's cheaper. Both for economical and logistical reasons. I think the RED is a great camera, overall.

kchertu
23-May-2010, 04:34 PM
That's true, lenses are extremely important.

I just finished acting in a film that cost around $24,000. It was a short and they shot it on 35mm.... with one camera. $18,000 of that budget was spent on film, that doesn't include the processing, and all things that have to be done after the images are captured. I could have shot the movie for exactly $18,000 less with reusable media (CF cards) in my camera and I guarantee you most people watching would never be able to tell the difference.

And, again, that's just using one camera... we all know, Gary, that you like to use 10 cameras at a time, so it'll be hard to do that with film. haha

For real though, with the way we can make video look and with the flexibility of being able to do a shot 10 times knowing all you gotta do is delete 7 of them that are not usable as opposed to getting a shot 2 times and then freaking out because every time after that you are chewing up more money every second you roll that precious 35mm film... I just don't get reason to shoot on film.

DjfunkmasterG
23-May-2010, 05:24 PM
Well KRYSTIAN, the DP from DEADLANDS 2 is coming aboard and has connections with 35mm, and I know people with REDS.

If I can't have at least 2-3 cameras on set at all times it will be a long shoot. I like to cover every angle possible, and believe me if I could get every Movie Cam 35mm SUPER 35 Camera on set for the shoot I would do it just to cover 250 angles at one time when it comes to the zombie footage. :elol:

DjfunkmasterG
25-May-2010, 02:25 PM
NEW UPDATE:

20th Century Fox has requested the screenplay for Deadlands 3 and the original script for the remake of Deadlands 1. We are in talks and I will update accordingly.

BillyRay
25-May-2010, 03:34 PM
Wow, Dude.

Fox?

Well, they could always option DL3 for a tv series, then cancel it halfway through the first season...:elol:

bassman
25-May-2010, 03:39 PM
After Avatar's success they're looking for stuff to throw money at for tax purposes.:p

Billy - I just now figured out what your avatar is and spit coffee on my monitor. Hilarious...

LouCipherr
25-May-2010, 05:32 PM
If 20th Century Fox picks up the DL franchise, THE NEXT ONE BETTER BE EPIC!

http://enderzero.net/smilies/bolt.gif

MinionZombie
25-May-2010, 05:43 PM

hahaha ... otherwise you can imagine the fan fury and goading ... oh boy, now that would be a big ol' stick doing a lotta pokin' :shifty:

Kick ass news dude. If they take up Deadlands and want another zombie script to read for 'cash-in follow-up' purposes, then tell them to come to me with my undead epic ... I'd re-write it, natch ... but yeah. :)

DjfunkmasterG
25-May-2010, 06:50 PM

:finger:

LouCipherr
26-May-2010, 12:43 PM
:finger:

This one works better:

http://enderzero.net/smilies/fuckyou.gif

bassman
26-May-2010, 12:50 PM
:lol:

I got a laugh at the anticipation of the finger. Then it jumps out like bread from a toaster.

Here's a hypothetical question for yous guys. Let's say Fox picks it up. You're on the track to make your first studio film. But you KNOW for a fact that they're going to push CGI on you. Whether it be money or time constraints, rest assured you will have to use CGI. Given your(and others) complaints of the CGI in Romero's and other zombie films....how would you feel about that?

LouCipherr
26-May-2010, 01:31 PM
To be honest, I have nothing against CGI nor the use - as long as it's done properly and in an appropriate fashion and not overused.

Not sure how Dj feels about this, but that's where I stand on it. As long as whatever CGI is done doesn't look completely fake or cartoonish, I'm not against it. I'd rather do as much practical effects as possible, but sometimes that doesn't work out and you have to resort to CGI.

DjfunkmasterG
26-May-2010, 01:55 PM
I will fight for the use of Practical FX when it comes to gore, headshots etc. In terms of city landscapes or like when Charlie and Riley come out of the subway... that type of CG i am fine with because making background plates for shots that include City skylines, etc I am completely fine with and will accept.

Zombie horde CGI... I am hoping to not need at all because I have a knack for rounding up people to play ZOMBIES. But if I get into a situation where I need to use it I will have all the zombie extras change wardrobe so you don't see duplicate shots of zombies in the CG duplication process.

LouCipherr
26-May-2010, 05:12 PM
Zombie horde CGI... I am hoping to not need at all because I have a knack for rounding up people to play ZOMBIES. But if I get into a situation where I need to use it I will have all the zombie extras change wardrobe so you don't see duplicate shots of zombies in the CG duplication process.

That would be ideal, because the duplication of crowds becomes very obvious if the crowd wasn't that big to begin with.

fulci fan
26-May-2010, 09:57 PM
To be honest, I have nothing against CGI nor the use - as long as it's done properly and in an appropriate fashion and not overused.

Not sure how Dj feels about this, but that's where I stand on it. As long as whatever CGI is done doesn't look completely fake or cartoonish, I'm not against it. I'd rather do as much practical effects as possible, but sometimes that doesn't work out and you have to resort to CGI.

All CG looks fake and cartoonish. Realistic CG is an oxymoron. :)

bassman
26-May-2010, 10:02 PM
Realistic CG is an oxymoron. :)

James Cameron would like to have a word with you. :lol:

I agree that CGI characters, foreground objects, and gore look obvious....but Batman Begins and Zodiac are two examples of how CGI can boost the impact of your film with fewer dollars...

DjfunkmasterG
27-May-2010, 12:56 AM
Like I said the only CG I may use is for a decayed looking Baltimore, but otherwise everything else will be practical