PDA

View Full Version : George romero: "i would like to make a videogame"

Danny
07-May-2010, 10:51 AM
http://kotaku.com/5533212/this-man-would-like-to-make-a-video-game
Hearing him talk about companies "wanting to buy my name then tell me to push off" pretty much confirms what everyones suspected before.

Honestly id be interested to see what he'd do with a resident evil game. theres one coming up for the psp that isnt a rail shooter but a proper game so there still making none main resi games, id like to see george try his hand at one. Lets face it, no matter how much you disliked land, diary or survival none of there plots were as fucking asinine and convoluted as a man fridge crashing a stealth bomber into a volcano then fighting a guy with squid shrapnels for arms whilst quick time punching a boulder thats bigger than him to make a bridge.:|

As a horror game aficionado i think he would place a lot of emphasis on music in a game, that would be a very interesting thing to see given his past works.

Or he could just work on left 4 dead 3, though theres already rumours thats a november release, maybe a left 4 dead 4 or resi 6 then?:lol:

krakenslayer
07-May-2010, 11:21 AM
Or, someone could hire him to write the storyline(s), dialogue and develop the scenario for the ultimate, open world, Fallout 3-style post apocalyptic zombie action RPG with added CoD: Nazi Zombies-style seige mechanics that we've all be waiting for... :elol:

Danny
07-May-2010, 11:27 AM
Or, someone could hire him to write the storyline(s), dialogue and develop the scenario for the ultimate, open world, Fallout 3-style post apocalyptic zombie action RPG with added CoD: Nazi Zombies-style seige mechanics that we've all be waiting for... :elol:

not me, god, an open world with only one type of enemy. no thank you, not everything that works as a movie works as a game.

ProfessorChaos
07-May-2010, 11:47 AM
ah, but senor jaded-pants, have you not paid any attention during romero's films? how about some of the characters you bump into in dead rising?

i think that raiders, rapist, lunatics, crazy cops with all kinds of guns, etc would make interesting storylines and characters to fight against...

additionally, perhaps romero should apply here:

http://undeadlabs.com/

that's the company that was all huffin' & puffin' about making a huge zombie-based MMO for consoles....site's not been updated in months, and last i heard they were watching zombieland for inspiration...not the best idea, imo.

krakenslayer
07-May-2010, 11:53 AM
not me, god, an open world with only one type of enemy. no thank you, not everything that works as a movie works as a game.

You're stuck in the paaaast maaaaan! :p

If done properly, with scarce ammo, no Doom-style weapons, and without cut-and-paste enemies a la Road to Fiddler's Green, it would be incredible.

Imagine crouch-sneaking across highways carpeted three-feet-thick with shattered and mutilated carcasses, eyes down, finger twitching on your trigger lest one of those rotting limbs snaps out to grab your ankle, while trying to watch the buildings for raider snipers and the approach of lurching hordes.

Imagine running from a gang of zombies, your ammo depleted, turning a corner and coming face to face with a pack of snarling, starving feral dogs.

Imagine being forced to charge out into a street filled - New-Year-party-style - with thousands of zombies, weilding only an axe and a flaming torch to hold them at bay. Your comerades on the roof trying to distract as many of them as possible with home-made fireworks.

Imagine sneaking quietly into an desolate area of a city, accidentally stepping on a glass bottle. The crack of breaking glass echoes through the empty structures. The shuffling of feet. An emaciated corpse emerges from a doorway. A low wail emerges from its throat, soon joined by a rising, deafening, droning roar as hundreds of dormant zombies are rallied to action. Quickly you have to sprint for cover, for the nearest bulding, and pray there are enough materials within to barricade the doors and windows until the horde dissipates...

A heavily strategy-based, open ended, FPS RPG like that, with visually varied and behaviourally individual zombies (some lurch faster than others, some have louder cries that can call others to the scene, some that wield melee weapons, some ex-soldiers wearing armour and hence harder to kill, perhaps eventually some that remember how to point and shoot...), and a thin scattering of realistic non-zombie enemies, would basically be my ideal game...

ProfessorChaos
07-May-2010, 11:57 AM
...perhaps eventually some that remember how to point and shoot...

no, no, no....a thousand times no. i agree with most everything else, but this part has to go. this is a slippery slope, and with this sort of mentality, there will be a boss fight involving:

http://www.grouchoreviews.com/content/films/2259/1.jpg

so don't go there...

bassman
07-May-2010, 11:58 AM
But maybe you could team up with Bub and take Big Daddy out?:p

Rancid Carcass
07-May-2010, 12:02 PM

If you take the Dead Rising approach and have the zombies as a complication rather than the main threat then you wouldn't need 'super-mutant' zombie variants. The story could then be driven by rival human factions struggling to survive in a zombie infested world - military/bikers/rednecks etc. That way it would be more in keeping with Romeros universe.
An open world RPG would be amazing if done properly - just imagine landing a helicopter in Fort Myers while scavenging for fuel and bumping in to Steele and Rickles rounding up 'dumbfucks' for Logan - do help 'em or get the hell out...? It could be sooooo awesome :D

krakenslayer
07-May-2010, 12:05 PM
no, no, no....a thousand times no. i agree with most everything else, but this part has to go. this is a slippery slope, and with this sort of mentality, there will be a boss fight involving:

http://www.grouchoreviews.com/content/films/2259/1.jpg

so don't go there...

Then what about a subplot involving a human death cult that straps zombies into suicide vests and trains them to blow up non-cult (heretic) humans. You got yer social commentary, your varied zombie threat, some human enemies and zombies that are still dumb (albeit dumb pawns) :D

MinionZombie
07-May-2010, 12:11 PM

If done properly, with scarce ammo, no Doom-style weapons, and without cut-and-paste enemies a la Road to Fiddler's Green, it would be incredible.

Imagine crouch-sneaking across highways carpeted three-feet-thick with shattered and mutilated carcasses, eyes down, finger twitching on your trigger lest one of those rotting limbs snaps out to grab your ankle, while trying to watch the buildings for raider snipers and the approach of lurching hordes.

Imagine running from a gang of zombies, your ammo depleted, turning a corner and coming face to face with a pack of snarling, starving feral dogs.

Imagine being forced to charge out into a street filled - New-Year-party-style - with thousands of zombies, weilding only an axe and a flaming torch to hold them at bay. Your comerades on the roof trying to distract as many of them as possible with home-made fireworks.

Imagine sneaking quietly into an desolate area of a city, accidentally stepping on a glass bottle. The crack of breaking glass echoes through the empty structures. The shuffling of feet. An emaciated corpse emerges from a doorway. A low wail emerges from its throat, soon joined by a rising, deafening, droning roar as hundreds of dormant zombies are rallied to action. Quickly you have to sprint for cover, for the nearest bulding, and pray there are enough materials within to barricade the doors and windows until the horde dissipates...

A heavily strategy-based, open ended, FPS RPG like that, with visually varied and behaviourally individual zombies (some lurch faster than others, some have louder cries that can call others to the scene, some that wield melee weapons, some ex-soldiers wearing armour and hence harder to kill, perhaps eventually some that remember how to point and shoot...), and a thin scattering of realistic non-zombie enemies, would basically be my ideal game...
I think I just came.

mista_mo
07-May-2010, 12:38 PM
The storyline for every previous resident evil game was a cliche ridden, illogical, convoluted mess. It wasn't just number 5 that was ridiculous, every one was just as stupid in its own way.

Don't get me wrong, I love them, but I can't take them as seriously as many people seem too.

CooperWasRight
09-May-2010, 04:47 AM
Or he could just work on left 4 dead 3, though theres already rumours thats a november release, maybe a left 4 dead 4 or resi 6 then?:lol:

No..... Its not coming this year.

acealive1
09-May-2010, 05:30 AM
cmon rockstar games!!!

Neil
09-May-2010, 07:28 AM

I've always like the idea of a step time tactical game. Where you control a small group of survivors with different skills where you have to complete different missions/levels.

Line of sight, noise, etc all taken into account.

Would all be done on movement points for each individual to spend each go to move, shoot or perform any special actions etc...

MinionZombie
09-May-2010, 10:13 AM
cmon rockstar games!!!
I was gonna say the same thing. Apparently they've gone and made the western game (in a sandbox environment no less), so perhaps one day they could make the shambler zombie game?

As Kraken was saying, indeed as we've both been saying, a Fallout 3-like game but with shambler zombies and a range of human enemies could be amazing.

Danny
09-May-2010, 10:31 AM
I was gonna say the same thing. Apparently they've gone and made the western game (in a sandbox environment no less), so perhaps one day they could make the shambler zombie game?

As Kraken was saying, indeed as we've both been saying, a Fallout 3-like game but with shambler zombies and a range of human enemies could be amazing.

if anyone would ever but the time into it id say a safer bet would be avalanche, the guys behind just cause 2, the largest game world in existence.

Tricky
09-May-2010, 05:06 PM
With gaming technology as it is now, it would be criminal to make a zombie game thats still confined to rooms or in streets section at a time, they could make it in a detailed open world like in Arma 2 or Far Cry 2, with different factions battling with the dead that may or may not help you, so if you wanted you could get to a vantage point & just observe other survivors fighting...
The modding community have been busy nailing that idea though ;)
LMe-aZWJeyE

fulci fan
09-May-2010, 11:25 PM

All perfect ideas. It would also be cool if:
-The zombies decayed more and more as you play through the game
-You had to scavenge for supplies for your shelter
- Having to find gas for whatever vehicle you decide to use.
-Joining up with people or getting people to join you.
- If Romero was involved, you could choose to be part of the group from each film. For example: when you start out in the game, you could have the option to go to the farmhouse with the Night survivors. Then, after that night, you could wait for a few months and find the mall where the Dawn survivors would be. After that, you could try to make it to Florida with the Day survivors. Or maybe you could be in the gang that raids the mall.
- It would also be cool if you could make your character and their age would determine where you are when the outbreak occurs. For example: If your character is young, maybe the outbreak would happen while you are at school or at a college campus.

How about all of us nerds go to a big game company and say "We want to make a game. And so does Romero." :sneaky:

SRP76
09-May-2010, 11:49 PM
I don't think the technology exists to make anything as elaborate as most people want. Especially not when cost is factored in.

I'd enjoy just a very simple game that's scenario-based. You get 3 scenarios:

1. Night of the Living Dead - simply stay alive until the authorities get there, and don't get your head shot off when they do.

2. Dawn of the Dead - secure the mall, and simply stay alive until after the looters have left (and continue staying there if you want/open-ended)

3. Day of the Dead - simply stay alive (and keep John alive) until all the military people croak, so you can escape in the helicopter.

No need for Land or Diary scenarios; who'd want to play that shit?

Mr.G
10-May-2010, 12:21 AM
I don't think the technology exists to make anything as elaborate as most people want. Especially not when cost is factored in.

I'd enjoy just a very simple game that's scenario-based. You get 3 scenarios:

1. Night of the Living Dead - simply stay alive until the authorities get there, and don't get your head shot off when they do.

2. Dawn of the Dead - secure the mall, and simply stay alive until after the looters have left (and continue staying there if you want/open-ended)

3. Day of the Dead - simply stay alive (and keep John alive) until all the military people croak, so you can escape in the helicopter.

Spot on. I would pay cash for this type of game. Nothing flashy but something we all discuss...what would it be like to be IN the movies? Switch up characters who you could play but leave everything else honest to the movies.

acealive1
10-May-2010, 12:45 AM

if they had all their bases solely focused on making this game, no frills, using only the four buttons and the D pad to move around, then im all for it. just take night, dawn, day and land and stretch them all out into 4 games. which means adding alot of stuff to each game and it's possible if done right

MinionZombie
10-May-2010, 09:57 AM
All perfect ideas. It would also be cool if:
-The zombies decayed more and more as you play through the game
-You had to scavenge for supplies for your shelter
- Having to find gas for whatever vehicle you decide to use.
-Joining up with people or getting people to join you.
- If Romero was involved, you could choose to be part of the group from each film. For example: when you start out in the game, you could have the option to go to the farmhouse with the Night survivors. Then, after that night, you could wait for a few months and find the mall where the Dawn survivors would be. After that, you could try to make it to Florida with the Day survivors. Or maybe you could be in the gang that raids the mall.
- It would also be cool if you could make your character and their age would determine where you are when the outbreak occurs. For example: If your character is young, maybe the outbreak would happen while you are at school or at a college campus.

How about all of us nerds go to a big game company and say "We want to make a game. And so does Romero." :sneaky:
*Creams jeans all over again*

krakenslayer
10-May-2010, 10:06 AM
if they had all their bases solely focused on making this game, no frills, using only the four buttons and the D pad to move around, then im all for it.

Side-scrolling Platform Shooter of the Dead? :D

fulci fan
10-May-2010, 05:52 PM
*Creams jeans all over again*
I was waiting for that. :lol:

Ugh, That would be terrible. :rolleyes:

darth los
10-May-2010, 06:09 PM

The truest, yet funniest thing in this thread. :lol::lol:

:cool:

acealive1
10-May-2010, 07:20 PM

nope. just like the gta engine for san andreas or vice city stories but not using the god awful nipples to steer

krakenslayer
10-May-2010, 08:27 PM
nope. just like the gta engine for san andreas or vice city stories but not using the god awful nipples to steer

I know what you mean. It took me a long time to get used to the twin joysticks on the Xbox controller. A LONG time. I was used to playing PC games with the keyboard and mouse, so using two joysticks simultaneously to both look around and move in a shooter game felt so unnatural, like trying to write ambidextrously or something. However, when I did get used to it, I loved it. Now I actually play a lot of my PC games with an Xbox 360 controller...

Anyway, I can't remember if there is a point to this post so... :D

MinionZombie
11-May-2010, 09:32 AM
Speaking of this thing, when I was at uni I exclusively played PC games, but a housemate got an Xbox and so we all started playing Halo 2 together. Initially I was pish at using the controller, but after a little while I got quite good at it, and was routinely #1 at Death Match. I got "the feel" for it, if you will.

Now I mostly play Xbox360, occasionally playing on the PC for a few titles (such as Crysis, STALKER, or Fallout 3 - I plan to get the new STALKER on PC as well as FarCry 2 someday, and the next Fallout game on the PC), so I'm very used to the controller now and the dual analogue sticks ... or whatever they're called.

I dig both ways of controlling, and for shooters the PC edges it for #1 spot simply because of the precision of mouse aiming ... but let's not get into all that again. :D

DjfunkmasterG
11-May-2010, 10:45 AM
Hearing him talk about companies "wanting to buy my name then tell me to push off" pretty much confirms what everyones suspected before.

Honestly id be interested to see what he'd do with a resident evil game. theres one coming up for the psp that isnt a rail shooter but a proper game so there still making none main resi games, id like to see george try his hand at one. Lets face it, no matter how much you disliked land, diary or survival none of there plots were as fucking asinine and convoluted as a man fridge crashing a stealth bomber into a volcano then fighting a guy with squid shrapnels for arms whilst quick time punching a boulder thats bigger than him to make a bridge.:|

As a horror game aficionado i think he would place a lot of emphasis on music in a game, that would be a very interesting thing to see given his past works.

Or They could just dig City of the Dead out of the Archives and actually fucking finish it.

fulci fan
11-May-2010, 02:24 PM
Or They could just dig City of the Dead out of the Archives and actually fucking finish it.

The graphics were real shitty. They would have to make it all over again. I think Road to Fiddler's Green was pretty much the same game but a different company did it and they plugged in the Land stuff.

bassman
11-May-2010, 02:50 PM
I think the only way I could get behind a Romero game is if it is a direct translation of the original trilogy like say Scarface, Ghostbusters, or Arkham Asylum. And that would only be because i'm a fan. Other than that I don't think I could care as I've yet to find a zombie game I can enjoy...

darth los
11-May-2010, 03:35 PM
Since GAr has virtually no intellectual property to speak of a games that is true to the canon of the trilogy is not very likely.

bassman
11-May-2010, 04:06 PM
This is true. But who around here would've thought a few years ago that Dawn would be converted to 3D? Now it's happening. So stranger things have happened....

darth los
11-May-2010, 04:38 PM
This is true. But who around here would've thought a few years ago that Dawn would be converted to 3D? Now it's happening. So stranger things have happened....

Probably no one. However, GAr doesn't have the rights to that film so it's like apples and oranges.

bassman
11-May-2010, 04:58 PM
But surely he would be involved on some level. Let's say Rubenstein or whoever owns the rights decides to make a game of Dawn. They would be foolish to not have him involved. At the very least we know that they showed Romero some of the 3D dawn for his approval. So I would imagine they would do the same with a game, if not have him more involved.

And just to top it all off....Didn't they already try to sue Capcom over the similarities in Dead Rising? We know it's fresh on their minds. "...look how well that game did....."

Hey....it's a bit of a stretch but let a guy dream, will ya?:p At least right now it's probably closer than it ever has been or probably ever will be.

darth los
11-May-2010, 05:16 PM
But surely he would be involved on some level. Let's say Rubenstein or whoever owns the rights decides to make a game of Dawn. They would be foolish to not have him involved. At the very least we know that they showed Romero some of the 3D dawn for his approval. So I would imagine they would do the same with a game, if not have him more involved.

And just to top it all off....Didn't they already try to sue Capcom over the similarities in Dead Rising? We know it's fresh on their minds. "...look how well that game did....."

Hey....it's a bit of a stretch but let a guy dream, will ya?:p At least right now it's probably closer than it ever has been or probably ever will be.

Also, you would have to think Gar would do one last thing to cap off what has been an all world career. Say what you will about his more recent works but the man is a fucking Rock Star. Nuff said.

JonOfTheShred
18-May-2010, 02:53 AM
I think I'd rather have GAR make a totally unique, in-depth zombie game than another movie at this point. Until then, I'll just have to stick with Left 4 Dead as my go-to 'zombie' game, as its really the closest in atmosphere and gameplay to what I've always been looking for in a game. (Never got into the Resident Evil franchise: too much variants of the undead, and crazy super human shit going on for me to take it seriously...at least the special infected in L4D and its sequel are a bit more believable.)

ALL OF THIS....SOUNDS EPIC.

Danny
18-May-2010, 03:04 AM
Never got into the Resident Evil franchise: too much variants of the undead

Technically there were no undead in resident evil. Just variations of the same mutagenic virus changing animals into different things, more deadly but also much more flawed, the big things like the lickers had a metaboliism that burnt them out way too fast and the average brain dead "zombie" was rotting because its own cells were burning out faster than it could sufficiently replace them so they ate human flesh to take in enough human cells and protein to keep going longer to propagate the virus.

Then you have punching boulders in volcanoes you just crashed your stealth bomber into to fight blonde agent smith....