PDA

View Full Version : "Let The Right One In" remake

Neil
10-May-2010, 10:39 AM
They have a still from the film over at AICN... Seems to have the right 'feel' about it don't you think?

http://www.aintitcool.com/images2009/LetMeIn2.jpg

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45007

axlish
10-May-2010, 11:43 AM
I am interested to see if the US southwest desert plays as big a thematic role as snowy northern Europe played in the original. The picture shows some promise.

bassman
10-May-2010, 11:58 AM
Hopefully it's not as bland as the original....

Neil
10-May-2010, 11:59 AM

*SMACK!!!* The original was beautiful! What did you want? Daybreakers or something? :)

bassman
10-May-2010, 12:01 PM
It wasn't terrible, but mildly entertaining and I had forgotten about it within ten minutes of the credits rolling. Never understood why everyone was freaking out about it like it was the second coming....

DubiousComforts
10-May-2010, 12:59 PM
It wasn't terrible, but mildly entertaining and I had forgotten about it within ten minutes of the credits rolling. Never understood why everyone was freaking out about it like it was the second coming....
Then you should find this movie "less bland": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1099212/
(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1099212/)

Another absolutely inane article from the AICN idiots. Why would any thinking human being even mention The Thing remake in the same breath?

bassman
10-May-2010, 01:18 PM
So just because I wasn't blown away by Let The Right One In, that means I should like Twilight? Right.:rolleyes:

Instead of attempted insults, why don't you throw out some reasons why you think LTROI is so great? I always hear of people loving this film and hating this incomplete remake, but never heard of any good reasons as to why....

Neil
10-May-2010, 02:18 PM
So just because I wasn't blown away by Let The Right One In, that means I should like Twilight? Right.:rolleyes:

Instead of attempted insults, why don't you throw out some reasons why you think LTROI is so great? I always hear of people loving this film and hating this incomplete remake, but never heard of any good reasons as to why....

I think she was just pulling your chain :)

I can't wait to see what Hollywood does with this remake... If they stick to the same (odd) formula, or go down a 'safer' route instead!

bassman
10-May-2010, 02:23 PM
I think she was just pulling your chain :)

If so, then my apologies. And Dubious is a female?:stunned:

bassman
10-May-2010, 03:13 PM
See that's what I'm talking about. People give me shit because of my opinion on the film, yet they never give any reasons as to why they think the film is good.

What makes this film so great? I would seriously like to know. I always hear people jumping on the "it's great!" bandwagon but never any reason as to why...

Neil
10-May-2010, 03:21 PM
See that's what I'm talking about. People give me shit because of my opinion on the film, yet they never give any reasons as to why they think the film is good.

What makes this film so great? I would seriously like to know. I always hear people jumping on the "it's great!" bandwagon but never any reason as to why...

OK, for me:-
- It's photography/style are quite spell binding in places.
- The main characters are acted superbly, even though just young teenagers.
- The story is an unusual twist on an already saturated genre.
- You never quit know what's going to happen, which is refreshing.

In short it made a damn refreshing change to your typically predictable, paint by numbers, glossy Hollywood stuff!

I just can't see how "bland" can be used to describe the film (fairly)?! Yes, it's not filled with action, but it's not that sort of film...

EvilNed
10-May-2010, 03:38 PM

Coming from you, I am totally surprised. Not! :p

Anywho, It'd be interesting to see this, but I don't have high hopes. If they can ruin [REC] and everything else they touch, I'm pretty sure this one won't turn out as good either.

And no, I cannot see how anyone could call this film "bland" either. Bland is Fantastic Four 2. Bland could even be Sherlock Holmes. Bland is something you see everyday. Calling this bland is like calling Koyaanisqatsi bland. Sure, you might not like em' (and I like Sherlock Holmes). But bland?

bassman
10-May-2010, 03:43 PM
- It's photography/style are quite spell binding in places.
The photography reminded me of daytime soap operas. Made for TV quality stuff, imo. There were a few good looking shots but overall the look of the film grated at my nerves.

- The main characters are acted superbly, even though just young teenagers.
I agree with this one. Although the blonde kid did nothing but basically stand in silence it seemed.

- The story is an unusual twist on an already saturated genre.
I suppose. It wasn't much of a twist, imo. Didn't seem like enough of a sucker punch.

- You never quit know what's going to happen, which is refreshing.
I'll give you this one as well. But when it does happen I was let down. It seemed to be building up to something great and then didn't really deliver.

I just can't see how "bland" can be used to describe the film (fairly)?! Yes, it's not filled with action, but it's not that sort of film...

I wasn't looking for action. Obviously it's just not that kind of film. It's bland imo because the characters were boring, the overall look of the film was lifeless and it all seemed to go nowhere.

EvilNed
10-May-2010, 03:47 PM
The photography reminded me of daytime soap operas. Made for TV quality stuff, imo. There were a few good looking shots but overall the look of the film grated at my nerves.

Okay, I'll stop you right there. All your other complaints I can see, and I can understand why you wouldn't have the patience for this kind of film (you're a Yawn 04 fan, right? ;) ). But this one. You're talking out of your ass... And how do I know this?

Because if you look at the film again, you'll find that the film is shot in a very special way, using special kinds of lenses. Most of the shots are done with telelenses, and the depth of focus is, for almost the entire film, reduced to a minimum.

I challenge you to find a daytime soap opera shot the same way.

DubiousComforts
10-May-2010, 04:10 PM

Instead of attempted insults,

I was being helpful and wasn't insulting you (unless you happen to be an AICN author, in which case you deserve to be insulted).

I'll be even more helpful with a link to another movie that you may find "less bland," though completely obvious: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0389722/

I've posted quite a bit about why Let The Right On In is a great film. You can search for the thread if you're really interested in knowing more about it. Just like Martin, it's not very obvious.

bassman
10-May-2010, 05:55 PM
Ghostbusters walks all over this flick. Greatest movie of all time. There...I said it and that makes it official. So there that is.:p

Neil
10-May-2010, 06:18 PM
Ghostbusters walks all over this flick. Greatest movie of all time. There...I said it and that makes it official. So there that is.:p

Ummm... To start with... Slightly different flicks don't you think? ie: Comedy... and not comedy...

Mike70
10-May-2010, 06:43 PM
Ummm... To start with... Slightly different flicks don't you think? ie: Comedy... and not comedy...

yep. it's sort of like comparing judy blume to ivan turgenev.

bassman
10-May-2010, 07:06 PM

Twas a joke. Just being silly with the whole "my opinion is the only one that counts" kinda thing...

axlish
10-May-2010, 10:33 PM

Thanks for this Bassman. And to think, you were the one complaining about the lack of definition in other's arguments.

If you think the original is bland, you shouldn't care about the remake and a response is not required. In fact I'm suprised you read the thread.

bassman
10-May-2010, 10:41 PM
If you think the original is bland, you shouldn't care about the remake and a response is not required. In fact I'm suprised you read the thread.

So I can't have the stance that maybe the remake could improve on it? It's a rare thing, but occasionally there are remakes that do this. And with a film I wasn't particularly impressed with, i'm hoping it does. Seems well within the range of the thread and conversation to me....

axlish
10-May-2010, 11:45 PM
So I can't have the stance that maybe the remake could improve on it? It's a rare thing, but occasionally there are remakes that do this. And with a film I wasn't particularly impressed with, i'm hoping it does. Seems well within the range of the thread and conversation to me....

See! Looky there! Three thought out sentences prove to be more of a contribution than a brief, snide remark afterall :)

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

I thought I'd add this: Twilight was decent!

bassman
11-May-2010, 12:15 AM
*Sigh* It wasn't intended to be a snide remark. It only seems that way because you guys all like the film. IMHO, a remake could improve on what was a mediocre film. I didn't feel the need to explain in a long manner. The single sentence summed it up nicely.

Hopefully future posts will be up to your code....

JDFP
11-May-2010, 12:25 AM
[/COLOR]I thought I'd add this: Twilight was decent!

No. Just no.

That's all. Carry on...

j.p.

DubiousComforts
12-May-2010, 07:12 PM
I didn't feel the need to explain in a long manner.
So you don't have to explain why you found Let the Right One In to be mediocre, but everyone else needs to justify their comments on why the film is excellent?

I'm confused by this rationale.

bassman
12-May-2010, 07:42 PM
So you don't have to explain why you found Let the Right One In to be mediocre, but everyone else needs to justify their comments on why the film is excellent?

I'm confused by this rationale.

Nobody has to justify anything. I was simply asking for what in general makes it great as i've never heard anything other than "It's great". I didn't see the excellence, so I was asking for some clarification. It wasn't meant as an attack or anything.

Jesus. You give one slightly negative opinion about a widely applauded film and the vultures peck the meat off your bones.

I take it all back. Greatest movie EVARRRR!:lol: