PDA

View Full Version : Is this a major blow to theaters everywhere?

JDFP
12-May-2010, 01:33 PM
A major announcement from the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) earlier (today or this week I think?) may have a large impact on theater chains. According to this article, you may soon have the choice between seeing a film at a theater or at home when released...

Washington, D.C. — The Federal Communications Commission (FCC), saying it was “in the public interest” today approved a request by the Motion Picture Association of America, Inc. (MPAA) to permit recent movies to be sent directly to American households over secure high definition transmission lines from their cable or satellite providers prior to their release on DVD or Blu-ray.

“This action is an important victory for consumers who will now have far greater access to see recent high definition movies in their homes. And it is a major step forward in the development of new business models by the motion picture industry to respond to growing consumer demand.” said Bob Pisano, President and Interim CEO of the MPAA. “We deeply appreciate the recognition by the FCC that recently released movies need special protection against content theft when they are distributed to home televisions.”

Specifically, the issue before the FCC was a request by the MPAA for permission to use selectable output control (SOC), which would allow televisions with digitally secure interfaces to receive high-definition content from a cable, satellite or IPTV provider, before its release on DVD or Blue-ray. Using SOC protects content because during the broadcast it essentially disables non-secure, analog outputs to avoid illegal circumvention and distribution of copyrighted material.

In its order, the FCC said: “On balance, this limited waiver will provide public interest benefits– making movies widely available for home viewing far earlier than ever before – without imposing harm on any consumers.”
“The first, and best way to view movies will always be in movie theaters – and nothing can replace the pleasure this brings to millions and millions of people all across our country and the globe,” Pisano said. “But for those people unable to make it to the theater and interested in viewing a recently released movie, thanks to the FCC, they will now have a new option. For other consumers who prefer standard, linear, on-demand or DVD or Blu-ray options, these services will be unchanged."

This article is from:

http://www.deadline.com/2010/05/the-end-of-movie-theaters-fcc-will-allow-studios-to-send-films-directly-to-consumers-over-secure-tv-lines/

Thoughts on this? This won't really impact me in any way. I rarely go to the theater (in fact I haven't gone this year at all) and I generally wait until a film is sent to me by Netflix or watch their on-demand online for films. If the prices are reasonable ($5 or less) to use this service to see a film I've been looking for as soon as released I may look into using it, otherwise it will have no impact on me.

j.p.

bassman
12-May-2010, 02:04 PM
Doesn't make a bit of difference. Films are already available for download by the time they're in theater. Illegally....but they're available. Do these stop movies from making loads of cash? I don't think so. Look at Wolverine. A work print leaked out long before it's release and I think it still did fine in theaters.

There will always be options, but there can never be anything at home that perfectly replicates the theater experience. And people will always cling on to that experience.

LouCipherr
12-May-2010, 02:40 PM
I agree with bassman here that there is something that you get out of a theatre experience that you just can't get anywhere else - y'know, people talking during the movie, cell phones going off, people that won't STFU while I'm trying to enjoy the $10 I spent to see the most recent goddamn awful remake.. :lol:

Seriously, if I had a choice between the theatre and watching the movie at home for the same price or cheaper, there is no question in my mind whatsoever that I'd watch it at home. Now, I'm pretty lucky - I have a 50" LCD with a very nice surround system, a killer couch that is 1000 times more comfy than theatre seating, the ability to pause the flick while I go whiz (I'm assuming they'll allow pausing), and I even have a popcorn machine! :lol: So while my screen is not as big as a theatre, I do have a sound system that will rival many a small theatre. Now if only I could get one of those 100" TV's.... *drools*

I don't know. There are a lot of people who enjoy that theatre experience - and I used to, however, I guess as I'm quickly approaching 40, I'm becoming that grumpy old man who's bothered by everything that distracts me from my movie. I know one of the last flicks I went to see, there was someone a few rows behind us (some teenage jackasses) who just would NOT stfu during the film. I even complained to the damn management, who sent in an usher. The idiot stood there for 5 minutes, which of course kept the morons behind us quiet for those five minutes, but as soon as the usher left the idiots started up again and the usher never returned to check on the situation. I even turned around and said something to the morons, but he just shut up for a few minutes then kept it up again. Completely ruined the movie - and I can't even remember half of what happened in the damn thing. Still pisses me off to this day (I guess I have anger issues.. lol)

I don't pay that much $ for a movie to deal with that shit, so yeah, I would pretty much abandon a theatre experience for some peace and goddamn quiet during the movie I paid to see and to enjoy it - right in my home.

darth los
12-May-2010, 03:35 PM
There will always be options, but there can never be anything at home that perfectly replicates the theater experience.

Cell phones constantly going off. Obnoxious teens. Crying babies. Garbage everywhere.

Yeah, your right. :rolleyes:

:cool:

Terran
12-May-2010, 04:24 PM
Cell phones constantly going off. Obnoxious teens. Crying babies. Garbage everywhere.

Yeah, your right. :rolleyes:

And the lack of potent liquor drinks.

Trin
12-May-2010, 04:43 PM
A couple of yahoos doing commentary tracks throughout... :moon:

Danny
12-May-2010, 04:54 PM

what cinemas are you going to dude? the ones round here serve alcohol, some only in the delux screening with the private bar but still.

-as for the OP. people will always go for the cinema option. I have a bigass HD TV and i would still go for two reasons A: the experience, the big screen, the projections, the crowds, the ambience its all part of the 'experience'. Regardless of what kind of shiny HD video i might see it in at home its still sitting on my couch like a lazy chump, and for me going with half a dozen mates to the cinema trumps sitting at home in front of the tee-veee anyday.

-also, not i HAVE a hdtv, not everyone does, these people arent gonna be swayed on watching it on a smaller screen and a crappier picture.

Terran
12-May-2010, 05:06 PM
what cinemas are you going to dude? the ones round here serve alcohol, some only in the delux screening with the private bar but still.

The closest thing in the area I live in only serves beer.....and if its beer they are serving Ill need quite a lot of it and need to start two hours in advance of the movie...

If only places would serve shots...:|

darth los
12-May-2010, 05:30 PM

@ hells as well.

Not in any neck of the woods I'm aware of here in the sates. try Amsterdam dude.