PDA

View Full Version : This movie could've worked, IF....

JonOfTheShred
16-May-2010, 05:55 AM
This movie could have worked. I see a lot of good in it, but it was bogged down by equally (or more) bad that it really cheapened the product; some obvious, some less so.

The first thing one is to complain about is the CGI. It was pretty bad, I must agree. The zombie heads on sticks? The fire extinguisher kill? Or the flair gun? The head-shot with the top flap of the head falling back onto the open neck? There was some alarmingly bad CGI to be found in this. Anyone who's seen it can tell you that much, and you've heard it all before. Obvious.

There was also the zombie riding a horse. It wasn't just the fact there was a zombie on a horse, but who poorly it was handled. Maybe if the horse was just wandering around aimlessly, not running at full speed. Or if she was being dragged along, ankle tangled in the stirrups.

Above all else though, the worst aspect of the entire movie, was the score. What an unfitting, garbage sounding film score this movie got. Anything that has that 'Danny Elfman' sound is pretty irritating in itself, but in a zombie flick? Way to kill all suspense and feeling of terror. I think with a proper, menacing score alone, Survival would have been a lot better.

I thought there were some cool moments in Survival. (I turned my brain off and enjoyed the film, despite its flaws.) I thought the entire gun fight between Sarge and O'Flynn towards the start was entertaining. The swim to the ferry was intense (by this movies standards), as were the scenes in the ferry. The zombie driving the car was a pretty cool thought and 'startling' the first time, but much like the horse riding zombie, it could've been executed a lot better.

The locations of this movie were creepy and well-chosen. This creepiness would have actually been noticeable with a suiting music score. The ferry with all the cars, the woods and old buildings. Pretty cool locations.

I also didn't mind the story or characters as much as everyone else.

Preserving the zombies you know and trying to get them to eat something other than human? I can dig. A group of towns folk killing all the zombies? Great. Should've shown a few more minutes of 'zombie hunting.' Sarge and his crew looking for a thinly populated area to inhabit until things went back to normal, if they ever did? Not unreasonable.

I thought Sarge was pretty cool. The old guys were actually kinda funny in a cheesy way, with their exaggerated accents and unhealthy obsession with their families history. 'Tomboy' (aka the Lesbian) was endearing enough for me: hot chick that likes other chicks. Nice. Whats to complain about there? The guy trying to fuck her? He was funny. I guess the only character I really hated was the Justin Long from Die Hard wannabe downer kid. I hated his character.

Anyway, to sum it all up, this movie could've been pretty bad ass. More gore, no CGI, a completely revamped musical score, no zombie horse-riding, and a few other tweaks and this would've been much more enjoyable.

bd2999
16-May-2010, 05:29 PM
The first thing one is to complain about is the CGI. It was pretty bad, I must agree. The zombie heads on sticks? The fire extinguisher kill? Or the flair gun? The head-shot with the top flap of the head falling back onto the open neck? There was some alarmingly bad CGI to be found in this. Anyone who's seen it can tell you that much, and you've heard it all before. Obvious.

Just saw it and I have to agree. Not sure if I can add anything. It was annoying.

There was also the zombie riding a horse. It wasn't just the fact there was a zombie on a horse, but who poorly it was handled. Maybe if the horse was just wandering around aimlessly, not running at full speed. Or if she was being dragged along, ankle tangled in the stirrups.

I agree again, this was really annoying to me. The fact that she just decided to eat it later, then had enough skill and balance to stay on a horse running that fast? If a zombies was being dragged that is fine and I agree. I think they just wanted to make her seem special. Although there had to of been better ways.

Preserving the zombies you know and trying to get them to eat something other than human? I can dig. A group of towns folk killing all the zombies? Great. Should've shown a few more minutes of 'zombie hunting.' Sarge and his crew looking for a thinly populated area to inhabit until things went back to normal, if they ever did? Not unreasonable.

I honestly liked these parts. I thought the story itself was fine. I even liked the acting really, if Diary had been like this I would have liked it much much more. The deal with the getting to eat something else is a fine goal but to me it was a bit annoying how it was implied that would make a difference. They still want to eat people.

thought Sarge was pretty cool. The old guys were actually kinda funny in a cheesy way, with their exaggerated accents and unhealthy obsession with their families history. 'Tomboy' (aka the Lesbian) was endearing enough for me: hot chick that likes other chicks. Nice. Whats to complain about there? The guy trying to fuck her? He was funny. I guess the only character I really hated was the Justin Long from Die Hard wannabe downer kid. I hated his character.

I agree he just seemed really really out of place to me. And was a bit uncommonly brave or arrogant given the situation. He was getting on my nerves a bit but he did not have a huge part.

I still thought the movie was good, but sort of the ending message I did not like, the CGI was not good and the horse riding zombie was stupid as well. Around that stuff I thought the movie was fun, I did not mind the music that much really. This is a big step up from Diary to me. I almost wished it was more of a story following the soldiers on the road than what it was. But even as is I really did enjoy it.

mista_mo
16-May-2010, 06:07 PM
I liked this movie, but one thing that is really just stupid:

3 zombies are able to take down a horse. Oh, and not just take it down, but hold it down, and begin eating it. The fuck? 3 fully grown, overly muscled power lifters would have a hard time holding a horse down, let alone 3 emaciated, rotting formerly human husks. Damn man, that horse could have stomped them into a pulp and galloped right the hell out of there!

krakenslayer
16-May-2010, 06:14 PM
I liked this movie, but one thing that is really just stupid:

3 zombies are able to take down a horse. Oh, and not just take it down, but hold it down, and begin eating it. The fuck? 3 fully grown, overly muscled power lifters would have a hard time holding a horse down, let alone 3 emaciated, rotting formerly human husks. Damn man, that horse could have stomped them into a pulp and galloped right the hell out of there!

I think we're supposed to assume that the horse has already been severely injured; we already saw it being bitten at least once, some time before it was pulled down.

riddleone
16-May-2010, 06:37 PM
I agree about a lot of the stuff said about the film - like holding down a horse??? That's pretty phony-or should I say pony? -errr. But still, I had such low expectations about the Survival of the Dead movie, that when I actually saw it - I liked it. I liked it more than Diary of the Dead, which I thought was a rip-off of Rec and Quarantine - and not A Romero like-film. I think Romero is still evolving his zombies to compete against the new film versions of ghouls such as Boyle and Snyder's runners and such.

JonOfTheShred
16-May-2010, 09:28 PM
Lowered expectations definitely helped me enjoy this movie a lot more.

I think the horse was brought down easily due to the infection spreading from the initial bite. I thought the zombies eating the horse and ripping it apart was a nice touch, and am surprised PETA are complaining at the mere depiction of such an event. :p