PDA

View Full Version : HOLY CRAP! Romero remaking Argento's DEEP RED in 3D

DubiousComforts
16-May-2010, 06:57 PM
HOLY CRAP!

Romero remaking Argento's DEEP RED in 3D (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118019404.html?categoryid=2430&cs=1&query=george+romero)

fulcifan's head just exploded. :D

Danny
16-May-2010, 07:05 PM
Hurm.

krakenslayer
16-May-2010, 07:14 PM
I... just... WOW! :eek:

This could be the big non-zombie flick we've been waiting for from Romero. Generally I'm against remakes, but this is really intriguing! I'm assuming Dario is okay with it, since he and George have been close friends since Dawn.

Something this far out of his comfort zone could be exactly what Romero needs. Can he pull it off? I always thought that Profundo Rosso had a kind of Romero-esque look to it in places, but the overall atmosphere and plot is not typical GAR fodder. But that could be a good thing... It might work, it just might...

I really don't know what to think! :eek:

EvilNed
16-May-2010, 07:20 PM
Yaaaargh, this is too muuuuch!

http://www.james-mooney.co.uk/myspaceimages/Scanners.gif

krakenslayer
16-May-2010, 07:35 PM
Yaaaargh, this is too muuuuch!

http://www.james-mooney.co.uk/myspaceimages/Scanners.gif

We all feel the same way:
axmJ5BQz_f0

JDFP
16-May-2010, 07:39 PM
Though Dario Argento and George Romero go back a long way -- he collaborated with Romero on zombie classic "Dawn of the Dead," on which he has producer credit, and they also co-directed "Two Evil Eyes" in 1990 -- Dario Argento will not be involved in Romero's remake in any guise.

Eh, I doubt that. Aren't Dario and George friends? I don't know if they go out bar-hopping necessarily to get drunk and talk about the "good ol' days" but I'd say that Dario would probably be in some type of "creative consultant" role if this were to take place.

The 3D angle on this doesn't have any bearing on me seeing it in any way, as I'll be damned if I'm going to spend $15+ bucks to go to a theater for ANY movie made just because it's in 3D.

But, I'll be interested in seeing it come out for rent when/if that happens.

j.p.

krakenslayer
17-May-2010, 11:34 AM
I wonder how they will handle the soundtrack, sicne the original had such a memorable and iconic score. Can they top this?:

nWs5CBqyl4A

bassman
17-May-2010, 11:42 AM
Meh. Never really cared for Argento anyway. And as with all Romero projects, I'll believe it when I see it.

DubiousComforts
17-May-2010, 12:43 PM
I wonder how they will handle the soundtrack, sicne the original had such a memorable and iconic score. Can they top this?
DEEP RED has about two million great shots to choose from. So why did the butt-munch that put the video together use an image from Suspiria?

DEEP RED is hands down Goblin's greatest score. It is wildly melodic and thematic, unlike their music to DAWN which is just a whole bunch of noodling. It will not be topped because rock musicians today just do not possess the same vocabulary as their 70s counterparts. It's the difference of painting with only five colors as opposed to a palette of one thousand. Blame music video, techno, punk and Nirvana for creating several generations of musical retards. At least they dress fashionably.

DEEP RED's main theme is as recognizable as the theme to Mission: Impossible. They were smart enough not to screw with that one in the remake.

Meh.
My advice would be to go nowhere near classic giallo cinema. You'll enjoy this movie instead: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387564/
(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387564/)

bassman
17-May-2010, 12:44 PM
I enjoyed the first Saw, actually. THANKS!:D

Your taste in films is soooo sophistimacated!

krakenslayer
17-May-2010, 12:47 PM
DEEP RED has about two million great shots to choose from. So why did the butt-munch that put the video together use an image from Suspiria?

LOL! I wondered about that too. :lol:

DEEP RED is hands down Goblin's greatest score. It is wildly melodic and thematic, unlike their music to DAWN which is just a whole bunch of noodling. It will not be topped because rock musicians today just do not possess the same vocabulary as their 70s counterparts. It's the difference of painting with only five colors as opposed to a palette of one thousand. Blame music video, techno, punk and Nirvana for creating several generations of musical retards. At least they dress fashionably.

DEEP RED's main theme is as recognizable as the theme to Mission: Impossible. They were smart enough not to screw with that one in the remake.

Good points, although bear in mind that Simonetti is still out there. He's the founding member of Daemonia, who released an album of excellent covers of his Goblin work and has produced original music too, including the main theme to Mother of Tears, which was pretty cool in spite of the involvement of Cradle of Filth's Dani Filth:

2bPTs43ORjY

DubiousComforts
17-May-2010, 01:05 PM
in spite of the involvement of Cradle of Filth's Dani Filth
Would that be the moron on "vocals"? :barf: Imagine the theme to The Exorcist with a raspy "Exorcisssssst!" overdub. Completely predictable and pedestrian.

I don't know if Simonetti is up to reworking the score on his own. Goblin was very much a band at the time, which is responsible for the sound of Deep Red. It's very difficult to fake the band dynamic.

Get John Harrison or better yet, since it's being filmed in Canada, get Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson!

AcesandEights
17-May-2010, 02:32 PM
HOLY CRAP!

Romero remaking Argento's DEEP RED in 3D (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118019404.html?categoryid=2430&cs=1&query=george+romero)

I'm happy for GAR, this could be quite cool,in some respects.

Not sure how MZ and some others will react to GAR doing a remake. Will he get a free pass or will he be set upon?

My bet is on some heavy rationalizing. :)

krakenslayer
17-May-2010, 03:14 PM

Not sure how MZ and some others will react to GAR doing a remake. Will he get a free pass or will he be set upon?

Well, speaking for myself, I hate remakes, so the idea does make my a little cautious. However, the biggest reason I hate them is that the impetus behind them usually comes from big studio bosses who decide to remake a classic movie for financial reasons and then recruit some pen-for-hire to script it and some young music video director with little affinity to the source material to shoot it. The end result is almost always a homogenised compromise of a movie that lacks individuality and the the passion that went into the original.

This situation seems a little different. It looks like Claudio, who was involved in the original, has already written a script for the remake, and Romero and co. are making a bid to direct it. It's artists getting together to work out a deal, not just suits in a boardroom dictating who's making what. Also, Romero is a fully qualified contemporary of Argento, who is far more likely to "get" the movie (while putting his own spin on it) than some 24-year-old MTV hack. In any case, the movie will be interesting to watch, I think.

AcesandEights
17-May-2010, 03:21 PM
It's like I got a bump on the head and can see the future :D

krakenslayer
17-May-2010, 03:22 PM
It's like I got a bump on the head and can see the future :D

:lol::lol:

DubiousComforts
17-May-2010, 05:37 PM
There'd better be a whole lot of "wait and see!" and "give it a chance!" from the ADHD gallery given the constant passes bestowed upon absolutely pointless remakes helmed by upstart amateurs.

AcesandEights
17-May-2010, 05:40 PM
There'd better be a whole lot of "wait and see!" and "give it a chance!" from the ADHD gallery given the constant passes bestowed upon absolutely pointless remakes helmed by upstart amateurs.

Well you'll hear no 'popcorn movie' jokes from me about this one. I think this is genuinely exciting news.

fulci fan
17-May-2010, 05:42 PM
My god..... Romero sucks now and he is trying to Re-make and Italian masterpiece? Romero made 4 great movies (I include Creepshow). He CAN NOT make a Giallo film. Especially as stylized as Argento made them. I absolutely have no words right now to describe the hatred flowing through me. Maybe I will post more later, but I don't know.

I guess this means I have to plan my assassination attempt. I wanted to wait for the fourth Dead film but this takes the fucking cake. :shifty:

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad::mad::mad:

AcesandEights
17-May-2010, 05:45 PM

My god.....
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Dubious can see the future too!

Trin
17-May-2010, 05:53 PM
My personal hope is that this movie is 3 hours long with 8 hours of additional director cuts and commentary, and Romero uses that time to get all of his social commentary out, thus clearing the way for a new Dead movie with no need for social agenda. Let him wreck a series I don't particularly care about. Sorry Fulci...

DubiousComforts
17-May-2010, 06:16 PM
I absolutely have no words right now to describe the hatred flowing through me.
Only a blurb in Variety and already this film delivers like no DEAD flick ever could.

My personal hope is that this movie is 3 hours long with 8 hours of additional director cuts and commentary, and Romero uses that time to get all of his social commentary out
What if Romero doesn't write the script?

krakenslayer
17-May-2010, 06:18 PM

Yeah, Claudio has written the script.

I don't think you'll ever get a Dead movie without social commentary. GAR doesn't make zombie movies, he makes allegories with zombies in them.

darth los
17-May-2010, 06:26 PM

Naw, from him? :rolleyes:

I will be intently watching the reaction on these boards as well.

And you best to believe I'll have my finger on the search feature in order to clear up any...um...inconsistencies.

:cool:

C5NOTLD
17-May-2010, 06:57 PM
DEEP RED is hands down Goblin's greatest score. It is wildly melodic and thematic, unlike their music to DAWN which is just a whole bunch of noodling. It will not be topped because rock musicians today just do not possess the same vocabulary as their 70s counterparts. It's the difference of painting with only five colors as opposed to a palette of one thousand. Blame music video, techno, punk and Nirvana for creating several generations of musical retards. At least they dress fashionably.[/URL]

That's one of my all time favorite scores and one of the reasons why I always enjoyed Argento films. Whether GAR directs or someone else eventually does I hope they have enough vision to give the soundtrack some respect and not try to update that part too much.

fulci fan
17-May-2010, 07:23 PM
Sorry Fulci...

Don't be sorry. I am the door mat of this place. ;)

If Fulci were alive, he would be laughing at both Romero and Argento for doing this.

krakenslayer
17-May-2010, 07:26 PM
Don't be sorry. I am the door mat of this place. ;)

If Fulci were alive, he would be laughing at both Romero and Argento for doing this.

I don't think Fulci ever laughed or smiled at anything in his life :D

Trin
17-May-2010, 08:50 PM

Yeah, Claudio has written the script.

I don't think you'll ever get a Dead movie without social commentary. GAR doesn't make zombie movies, he makes allegories with zombies in them.
Recent Romero offerings lead me to believe he could add commentary to anything.

But, yeah, I gotta agree with Kraken... no matter how many movies Romero used to promote his commentary agenda there would always be room for more.

mista_mo
17-May-2010, 08:50 PM
Okay, who is this Fulci guy? is he the dink that made Zombie?

fulci fan
17-May-2010, 08:53 PM
I don't think Fulci ever laughed or smiled at anything in his life :D

He did. He use to make fun of a lot of people; both directors and actors. He also said Bruno Mattei and Claudio Fragasso were natural born creatons. :lol:

Now that I think about it, I think Dubious Comforts would have gotten along with him real good.;)

krakenslayer
17-May-2010, 09:28 PM
He did. He use to make fun of a lot of people; both directors and actors. He also said Bruno Mattei and Claudio Fragasso were natural born creatons. :lol:

Now that I think about it, I think Dubious Comforts would have gotten along with him real good.;)

Really? That's interesting. Of all his movies I've seen, I can think of only one scene played for humour - that's when Peter West and Anne have to pretend they're making out to avoid getting arrested for trespassing in Zombie. I've also heard that the guy himself was really unhappy and had major temper issues.

Mind you, I did hear he made one or two comedies in his early career. A James Bond spoof or something springs to mind... right?

fulci fan
17-May-2010, 11:52 PM
Okay, who is this Fulci guy? is he the dink that made Zombie? I hope you are joking...
What is a dink?

Really? That's interesting. Of all his movies I've seen, I can think of only one scene played for humour - that's when Peter West and Anne have to pretend they're making out to avoid getting arrested for trespassing in Zombie. I've also heard that the guy himself was really unhappy and had major temper issues.

Mind you, I did hear he made one or two comedies in his early career. A James Bond spoof or something springs to mind... right?

Fulci struggled with life. It was not kind to him. He had a shit load of health problems, got divorced, and struggled with his faith (there is a rumor that his death could have been suicide). He loved his fans, though. At his first and only American convention, he signed autographs for free. He did have a temper, but I think the actors that pissed him off were very stupid people. Yeah, he made a lot of comedies. Near 20.

edit: When I first saw the title for this thread, I reacted the same way bub did when he saw dead Logan.

triste realtà
18-May-2010, 04:14 AM
I saw the zombie vs shark scene in a Windows 7 commercial yesterday. :stunned:

major jay
18-May-2010, 03:49 PM
I'd like to see someone use Burial Ground in a baby formula commercial. :D

EvilNed
18-May-2010, 03:50 PM
He did have a temper, but I think the actors that pissed him off were very stupid people.

You think they were? So none of it was his fault? He was blameless?

BillyRay
18-May-2010, 04:52 PM
I deal with actors regularly, from a Backstage 'position of authori-tah".

Here's the trick to dealing with Actors & Actresses:

You have to treat them as slightly spoiled, slightly addled, children.

You have to make sure nothing pokey is sticking out of anything backstage. Even though the actors aren't supposed to go certain places, they will wander into every corner. Usually to "prepare".

And you're generally expected to be extremely nice to them, even if they're not returning the favor to you, the Director, or the other performers. Otherwise they may cry or throw a tantrum. Seriously.

I'm lucky that most of the actors I've worked with professionally, or on a community theatre level, are all really dedicated to their craft. And as a result are really professional and easy to work with. I tell them my approach to actors, and they laugh. Because it's true.

Inversely there are quite a few Directors out there that don't know how to deal with people. Or they're dictators. They usually don't last long in the stage biz. (again most of my own experience has been pretty positive)

I don't know if any of this applies to Fulci. Any stories out there on his directing style?

Sammich
18-May-2010, 06:25 PM
I saw Deep Red a long time ago and thought it was ok, but nothing fantastic. I just never really liked these types of slasher movies.

krakenslayer
18-May-2010, 08:36 PM
I saw the zombie vs shark scene in a Windows 7 commercial yesterday. :stunned:

No shit :eek::
TXQJ8msYDh0

AcesandEights
18-May-2010, 08:44 PM
TXQJ8msYDh0

Geek culture cross-pollination.

fulci fan
19-May-2010, 03:44 AM
You think they were? So none of it was his fault? He was blameless?
He was very mean, yeah. But I think that some of the actors he had to deal with were not very smart. I am not talking about David Warbeck, Catriona MacColl, and Al Cliver.

I don't know if any of this applies to Fulci. Any stories out there on his directing style? "Fucking amazing!" - New York Times.

TXQJ8msYDh0

Jizz.:eek:

Fulci now lives in every American's living room. The hostel takeover is happening. :elol:

JDFP
19-May-2010, 04:18 AM
He was very mean, yeah. But I think that some of the actors he had to deal with were not very smart. I am not talking about David Warbeck, Catriona MacColl, and Al Cliver.

Catriona MacColl doesn't have to worry about "intelligence" necessarily, that's not exactly why we enjoy her 'performances'... :D

j.p.

SymphonicX
19-May-2010, 06:55 AM
hmmm, it's still a remake.

MinionZombie
19-May-2010, 10:11 AM

I'm confused by this news ... how strange.

In terms of GAR - if he does get this made, then it's good for him because he gets to do something different at last and perhaps shake him up a bit and refresh him (even though I really dig Survival of the Dead).

In terms of Deep Red - I've not yet seen the original, so can't really comment on how I feel about it specifically being remade.

In terms of remakes - a few remakes have been worthwhile. For example, Hills Have Eyes 2006, TCM2003 (even though the original still pwns it with ease) and The Crazies to name three.

There have been remakes I've enjoyed, but which couldn't hold a torch to the original movie (and so are guilty pleasures, with little actual worth), and then there are other remakes which are heathenous blobs of gooey turd ... ... can you guess which one I'm talking about? :elol:

So I'm surprised by this news, but also quite intrigued ... let's see what, if anything, comes of this - he's been attached to other projects before that haven't come to anything, so let's all cross out fingers for GAR. It'd be nice for him to get to play with something other than zombies - even though I dig his zombie flicks - it would be nice for GAR to not just play with dead things.

AcesandEights
19-May-2010, 01:49 PM
Well played, Mz. Well played.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/DougOBrien/top_hat.jpg

krakenslayer
19-May-2010, 03:56 PM
Romero: "I won't touch it with a ten foot pole unless it has Dario's approval":

INTERVIEW HERE (http://www.fangoria.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=900:exclusive-video-romero-directing-deep-red-remake-hell-no&catid=83:featured-videos&Itemid=215#AVPlayerID_0e8964dc)

bassman
19-May-2010, 05:25 PM
Romero's 3D sound effects are hilarious. "3D! WHA RAU".:lol:

Anyway, it looks like this is very far from a done deal. It seems to me like Romero has the right stance on the project but at the same time doesn't really expect it to happen.

And if he is in fact holding out for Argnto's approval, what are the chances he will get that approval after his last efforts?:shifty:

fulci fan
20-May-2010, 02:11 AM
Catriona MacColl doesn't have to worry about "intelligence" necessarily, that's not exactly why we enjoy her 'performances'... :D

j.p.

True that lol :D. Don't forget Auretta Gay. Too bad she was only in one of his films. Fulci was good friends with MacColl, though. She spoke at his funeral. That makes me second guess the accusations that Fulci hated women.

DubiousComforts
20-May-2010, 07:11 PM
And if he is in fact holding out for Argnto's approval, what are the chances he will get that approval after his last efforts?:shifty:
I wouldn't know. Have you seen Argento's latest efforts?

I saw Deep Red... I just never really liked these types of slasher movies.
FAIL.

IIn terms of Deep Red - I've not yet seen the original,
EPIC FAIL!

darth los
20-May-2010, 07:25 PM
True that lol :D. Don't forget Auretta Gay. Too bad she was only in one of his films. Fulci was good friends with MacColl, though. She spoke at his funeral. That makes me second guess the accusations that Fulci hated women.

Now day just being a man qualifies as hating women dude. My how the pendulum has swung. :rolleyes:

:cool:

MinionZombie
21-May-2010, 10:07 AM
Dubious - I'll get round to it someday, I swear! Don't beat me with the stick again! :D

DEAD BEAT
01-Jun-2010, 07:41 PM
HOLY CRAP!

good! now maybe Romero can rape Argento's film like that little goon did to Dawn!:rant::rockbrow:

bassman
23-Aug-2010, 04:59 PM
This isn't happening. Not with Romero, anyway. He found out that Dario isn't involved, only Claudio, so he said no way...

"I basically dropped out of it. I was approached by Dario’s brother, Claudio Argento, and the last time I worked with those guys they were together and still speaking to each other," the director told us. "And I found out now that they’re not, and Claudio called me and asked me to do it, and he initially said that Dario was involved, and I said ‘well, I’d really like to talk to him about it.’ And the other numbers I had for Dario were old and no good anymore, and I finally had a friend give me a contact for Dario, and I wrote to him and he said no, he wasn’t involved and he didn’t appreciate the idea that Claudio was doing it so I said, ‘well hey man, then I’m out’."