PDA

View Full Version : Who is your most favorite musician/group of all time? Why?

JDFP
19-May-2010, 10:55 PM
Like film, music plays an essential role for all of us. But there's always that one band and/or one musician that always stand out to us through our lives that we can always put on a song by him/her/them and instantly, no matter how hellacious things are going, we can't help but break a smile out from the familiarity and the damned amazing joy we feel at listening to the music. Great music stirs our bones, makes us dance (even if other people don't want us to), makes us want to sing the lyrics to the roof-tops (people threaten me when I do this) and just makes us happy.

Is there a particular artist/band that does this for you?

For me, I enjoy many different forms of music -- from Wagner to The Sisters of Mercy to Outlaw Country to Leon Russell and John Prine. But there is one singer that I can relate to and enjoy more than any other in any genre or form. For me, it's hands-down Waylon Jennings. I never had an opportunity to see Waylon in concert -- I wish I had. As often as possible I kick back with a 12-pack of Milwaukee's Best and just let the lyrics and the spirit of his work drift into me and carry me away. I guess for me the reason I enjoy Waylon's work so much is because he had that incredible voice and every single lyric speaks to me on a personal level. I can relate. I shake my head in agreement in knowing: "Yep, I understand. I feel what you're singing, Waylon" and it truly moves me. My spirit is moved through his great work. I hate that he's gone from us and there won't be any new music to come from W. in the future, while always hoping those "lost studio recordings" show up one day.

One of my most favorite concert DVD's is watching "The Highwaymen" live in concert. "The Highwaymen" was a get together of Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson, and Willie Nelson. Watching the four unique and yet spirited musicians jam together in knowing the roads and paths the others had all been on in their career -- going through the feeling and the heart and watching as they knowingly smiled at one another through the music is just a capturing magic for me. It really stirs me every time I listen to their music they all did together as a group (as well as individually of course) in each member bringing a unique, distinct, but universally understood approach to playing together. Like that one film or television show you never grow tired of watching and enjoying, so this music is always with me.

So, I ask, what's your favorite singer/band, why is it so important to you?

Waylon Jennings

http://img.gactv.com/GAC/2006/06/02/waylonjennings2_e.jpg

The Highwaymen

http://www.nashvilleportraits.com/2007/tn-54_HIGHW.jpg

j.p.

bassman
19-May-2010, 11:13 PM
My favorite band of all time is 311. Strange to most people, I know.

I started listening to them around 1994 and basically they've played a huge part of my life since then. Many of their songs remind me of certain times of my life. They're like musical page markers. When I hear those certain markers, I'm instantly transported back to that time.

Also....I've never found a band that creates the same energy at live shows. Nobody else compares, in my mind. Greatest live band ever.

Also, I think they have a very wide range in music. Most people would disagree with me here, but I stand by it. Besides....usually the people that say they're one-sided have only heard their singles.

And last but not least...they support living a positive lifestyle. For a change they're not a band that's all "woe is me!". They celebrate life and all the great things in it. "Stay postive and love your life"

Terran
20-May-2010, 12:09 AM
Jeeze its so hard to pick a favorite musician/group of all time since I tend to have a favorite musician/group for particular genres of music.

For me its the same thing with movies...
like how does one really go about comparing the following movies
Blade Runner
Naked Lunch
Lost Highway
Primer
Dead Man
Jesus Christ Super Star
Memento
Dawn of the Dead
Aguirre, the Wrath of God (good lord I think I once went crazy, I was unable to turn off the animated menu for this movie for three days straight...I can still hear the looping music)
Pan's Labyrinth
Bottle Rocket
Fightclub
Road Warrior
AI

I mean like, at any given point if I walked in on someone watching these movies Id be like "Ooooo my favorite"

If I had to just pick the first thing that came to mind I feel like that the choice I make would just reflect my current mood or thoughts.
*blurts out*
Primer

Music I have a similar dilemma....my playlist is over 10,000 songs and contains such a strange assortment of things...

orchestra/classical type music from people like Michael Nyman,
Classic Rock from people like Neil Young and Billy Joel
Progressive Rock from bands like King Crimson or Van Der Graff Generator
"Nintendo Death Metal" (more similar to punk) from bands like the Bondage Fairies
Alternative/Industrial Rock from bands like Alice in Chains or Nine Inch Nails
Unknown genres from bands like They Might Be Giants or The Mighty Boosh(not really a band but I love some of their songs)

Demonstrating the range of music here:

Michael Nyman "The Heart Asks Pleasure First"
_UaHl3d8Rlg
They Might Be Giants "Mr Me"
Oddly enough my favorite They Might Be Giants Songs are not available on youtube...they have like a gazillion songs many of which sound completely different than this.
ojk077sc5Go
King Crimson "Three of a Perfect Pair"
They also have many other songs that are really kick ass....and are fantastic sounding live.
pWyJfdob0a4
Bondage Fairies "Disco Fever"
HHAZznC073E
or "He-Man"
ry6ji91X5FA
(Not a lot of videos available of the Bondage Fairies)

If I just had to pick one....I suppose I would pick King Crimson...since they've had lasting power for me...

Damn since Bondage Fairies got two songs Ill throw in another Prog Rock
Van Der Graaf Generator "Necromancer"
bveabYHMi6U

Terran
20-May-2010, 12:29 AM
Robert Fripp is an incredible musician. End of.

Well Clearly...
But What do you think of the Bondage Fairies.....:cool::D

rongravy
20-May-2010, 02:00 AM
Hard to narrow down, but as far as longevity I'm going with a singer and also a group.
Frank Zappa is the man. Even if you don't like him, you can't deny the man was relevant in alot of shit. He fought off the dragon that was Al Gore for our musical rights. He made the best music of the century and turned out alot of other musicians that were better for working/studying from the guy(Steve Vai, Warren Cuccurullo, etc.). He made silly songs, but also made fantastic instrumental music. He will forever be a GAWD...
Someday he will be studied up there with the likes of Mozart and others. The guy could've been President someday. Seriously. Should've. We wouldn't be in the pickle we are now...

This one'll get a laugh but, as far as groups, Duran Duran was always there for me. It always pisses me off because alot of people call them the forerunners of groups like New Kids and other talentless fucks.
They wrote and played all their own music. Hell, they helped shape a decade and an era. Then they were thrown to those hungry ass wolves, but never gave up. In fact, their best music came after their fame and glory had passed. They are definitely a cut above the rest of the music from those days and still have alot of music to put out. Their music is still a constant soundtrack running in my head.

fulci fan
20-May-2010, 02:23 AM
Warren Zevon
http://www.rakehellrow.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/warren_zevon_small.jpg

Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/602698/Ian+Anderson.jpg

Fabio Frizzi
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2268/2255388760_f8321e3418.jpg?v=0

Passion Pit
http://bybe.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/passion_pit.jpg

Ennio Morricone
http://dreamingarm.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/ennio.jpg

Goblin
http://walrusmusicblog.com/wp-content/uploads/retro/212blog_goblin.jpg

Terran
20-May-2010, 02:55 AM
Ian Anderson

Rules.

Ghost Of War
20-May-2010, 07:54 AM
I'm also going to go with a singer and a group. The singer, for me, who epitomises everything I love about Rock music, is Bon Scott, late singer of AC/DC. Not the greatest vocalist in the world by any means, but as a front man he was unbeatable. Sleazy, angry, funny, drunk, he had the lot. The charisma and energy that radiates from him, even now after he's been dead for 30 years, makes me want to scream my balls off to his songs.

Picking a group is difficult, because I like so many different kinds of music, from 60's Motown to death metal, prog rock to hip-hop, you get the idea. But, gun to my head, it would have to be Slayer. Even though I love all kinds of music, I'm a metalhead at heart, and metal is all about aggression. And Slayer are pure aggression, if I've had a shit day, Slayer gets played, if I've had a good day, Slayer gets played. It's the group that gets me through things. I had to pick between Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, AC/DC and Slayer for this choice, and it was very close.

shootemindehead
20-May-2010, 09:25 AM
Picking one band is difficult.

But, I would have to say the Pixies. This week anyway. :D

Publius
20-May-2010, 10:32 AM
If I had to pick one group right now, I'd probably have to say the Allman Brothers Band. But it'd be a hard choice. Of the ones named above, Waylon Jennings, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Jethro Tull resonate with me the most.

EvilNed
20-May-2010, 04:18 PM
I'm not pretentious when it comes to music, and I don't really have a favourite band.

But bands I always come back too, and more frequently than others?

Well that'd probably be Goblin, Pink Floyd and Alan Parsons Project.

Right now I'm listening to alot of Sweet, tho.

Danny
20-May-2010, 04:28 PM
*ahem*

-IF ANYONE SAYS INSANE CLOWN POSSE THEY ARE AUTOMATICALLY BANNED FROM EVERYTHING FOREVER.

FUKKIN' MIRACLES!

Exatreides
20-May-2010, 06:59 PM
ICP

Haha just kidding, i hate them forever and forever, so it is said, so it shall be done.

Rage Against the machine. The energy, the purpose (even if you don't agree with it) is strong, Tom Morello, and Zach just bam. I loves it.

Nomeansno. This Canadian punk band that's been going strong since the late 70's. The band's very bass centric, with guitar playing rhythm to the very aggressive "lead" bass.

"Have you heard the news? The dead walk..."
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zPyAii6f-hc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zPyAii6f-hc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

3. Dead Kennedy's come in a nice strong third. Do I really need to explain this one?

fulci fan
20-May-2010, 07:56 PM
ICP is a band for Jerbangs. My friends and I used to beat the shit out of kids like this. ;)

http://loljerbang.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/jerbang2.jpg