PDA

View Full Version : Favorite TV Miniseries

SRP76
25-May-2010, 03:43 PM
I had a discussion/argument with my father yesterday about these, stuff such as V, Roots, Space, etc. He kept pushing Centennial on me, and, as always, we wound up with an hourlong yelling match over what's "good".

So I figured this would be a good place to get others involved. What are some of your favorite miniseries? I shouldn't have to define that, but, just in case, I mean made-for-tv flicks that are broken into several 2-3 hour parts. NOT actual tv series that just got yanked after 5 episodes due to suckage, or simple 2-hour SyFy movies and things like that.

I personally loved the original V and V: The Final Battle, after I recently finally saw them all the way through for the first time a few months back.

bassman
25-May-2010, 03:50 PM
I don't know if this fits into your category as I'm not sure I saw all the parts and it was more of a documentary, but From The Earth to The Moon was great. I think it was around the late nineties on HBO. Tom Hanks was the narrator.

I think you could call that a miniseries, anyway.:confused:

BillyRay
25-May-2010, 03:58 PM
I dug Band of Brothers; once I got the chance to watch the whole series all the way through.

Shogun was a pretty intense series, way back in the day. Highly recommended. You'll probably only be able to find it on VHS at the library these days, tho'.

I haven't seen V or V-the Final Battle in years. Last time I saw them, they hadn't aged all that well. Still, loved them when I was @10 and they were brand new...

SRP76
25-May-2010, 04:03 PM
I remember hearing a lot of hype about Shogun back when I was a VERY young kid. Never did actually see any of it, though. One of these days...

Another one that got hyped to the moon "back in the day" was Amerika. The thing about the U.S. having been taken over by the Soviet Union. Never tried to see it, though, because the premise just seems too hokie for me. Never was into the whole "triumph of the spirit" deal.

BillyRay
25-May-2010, 04:34 PM
Another one that got hyped to the moon "back in the day" was Amerika. The thing about the U.S. having been taken over by the Soviet Union. Never tried to see it, though, because the premise just seems too hokie for me. Never was into the whole "triumph of the spirit" deal.

I remember the SNL parody of that - "Amerida" - Where the US is taken over by Canada. Otherwise it was pretty dull, typical Cold War era Alternative History.

World War III, from about the same time, was pretty intense. Starts with a ground battle over the Alaskan oil pipeline in the first episode, and the Bombs dropping at the end of the last episode.

(Kind of a prequel to the Day After)

darth los
25-May-2010, 04:48 PM
Band of Brothers.

Nuff said.

:cool:

shootemindehead
26-May-2010, 10:30 AM
'Das Boot'

Best depiction of WWII submarine warfare ever put on the screen.

wayzim
26-May-2010, 12:11 PM
I had a discussion/argument with my father yesterday about these, stuff such as V, Roots, Space, etc. He kept pushing Centennial on me, and, as always, we wound up with an hourlong yelling match over what's "good".

So I figured this would be a good place to get others involved. What are some of your favorite miniseries? I shouldn't have to define that, but, just in case, I mean made-for-tv flicks that are broken into several 2-3 hour parts. NOT actual tv series that just got yanked after 5 episodes due to suckage, or simple 2-hour SyFy movies and things like that.

I personally loved the original V and V: The Final Battle, after I recently finally saw them all the way through for the first time a few months back.

Centennial was a twenty plus hour mini series which did best in the late 70's what Dances With Wolves and a Spielberg sponsored series, Into The West, did less so. It presented a balanced view of our westward expansion along with the conflicts, served up with an important message of conservation.
It also took some rather minor talent, Like Gregory Harrison (Trapper John MD ) and gave them some really great material to work with.
The only real flaw in this sprawl of a series was that toward the end we had way too many flashbacks, and the modern day war between the Takers and The Givers ( as Lynn Redgrave's character would say )was pretty heavy handed.
A favorite moment is one of the best Horror scene in a non-Horror film. It was during the Depression where a farmer and his brood fight both the terrible Dust Storms and overwhelming debt.
His wife. already pushed to the edge, is driven to do the unthinkable.
That still freaks me the Hell out to this day.

Wayne Z