View Full Version : Amityville Horror house up for sale....

LouCipherr
27-May-2010, 04:54 PM
...for almost 1.2 Million. This just screams "Haunted Bed & Breakfast"... :D

Amityville Horror House For Sale (http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2010/05/25/Amityville-Horror-house-for-sale/UPI-82961274821997/)

AMITYVILLE, N.Y., May 25 (UPI) -- The New York state house that inspired "The Amityville Horror" is back on the market for an asking price of $1.15 million.

The home, where Ronald DeFeo Jr. killed six family members in 1974 and was supposedly haunted when George and Kathleen Lutz lived there for 28 days, was listed Monday in Amityville by Daniel Gale Sotheby's International Realty, Newsday reported Tuesday.

The events at the home inspired Jay Anson's 1977 book, "The Amityville Horror: A True Story," which in turn became the basis for several film adaptations.

"It's one of the more beautifully redone houses in the neighborhood," listing agent Laura Zambratto said.

JDFP
27-May-2010, 05:34 PM
"It's one of the more beautifully redone houses in the neighborhood," listing agent Laura Zambratto said.[/I]

Of course it is, and it's also probably one of the safest houses in the neighborhood (except for internal forces, ahem, that is) as well because no one in their right mind would screw around with the place.

I could just imagine trying to have 'social gatherings' with locals there: "Yeah, man, I'd love to come over for the game, but, um, I have to wash my hair."

You couldn't pay me $1.15 million dollars to step foot in that place. I just wouldn't do it. No sir, no way, no thanks. I'll be curious to see who purchases the place though. Anyone know who has owned it the last 30 years or so and if they've had any 'experiences' with it?

j.p.

LouCipherr
27-May-2010, 06:28 PM
Of course it is, and it's also probably one of the safest houses in the neighborhood (except for internal forces, ahem, that is) as well because no one in their right mind would screw around with the place.

Can you imagine? Neighborhood kids walk up the driveway, start throwing rocks at the place and get swarmed with flies! :elol:

Rottedfreak
27-May-2010, 06:35 PM
Them Lutzes lied through their teeth, there's no ghosts and ghoulies in that house, they had a plausable story in 76 but piled all this crap on it when the book came out and have continued to lie since, that place is nothing more then a refuge for liars.

JDFP
27-May-2010, 06:42 PM
Them Lutzes lied through their teeth, there's no ghosts and ghoulies in that house, they had a plausable story in 76 but piled all this crap on it when the book came out and have continued to lie since, that place is nothing more then a refuge for liars.

I'm not arguing with you because I don't know the details of the case (other than the original flick which was a hell of alot of fun), but how exactly do you know this? I'm curious.

j.p.

LouCipherr
27-May-2010, 06:44 PM

Some people will say there's no ghosts and ghoulies in this world, period. :shifty: Still, doesn't change the fact that if you bought it, you could claim you own the "Amityville Horror house" - that alone is some nice bragging rights. :D

SRP76
27-May-2010, 06:52 PM
By "beautifully redone", she means they had Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray and co. sweep through the place a couple times.

LouCipherr
27-May-2010, 07:00 PM
By "beautifully redone", she means they had Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray and co. sweep through the place a couple times.

...and the 'zinger of the day' is awared to SRP76! :lol:

AcesandEights
27-May-2010, 07:06 PM
Some people will say there's no ghosts and ghoulies in this world, period. :shifty:

Cue Ned and Wyldwraith.

Cue Bassman.

:D

On a more serious note, I'm surprised at the cost. Pretty 'low' all things considered (though don't get me started on how criminal real estate prices and taxes are in lower NY).

BillyRay
27-May-2010, 07:22 PM
On a more serious note, I'm surprised at the cost. Pretty 'low' all things considered (though don't get me started on how criminal real estate prices and taxes are in lower NY).

Well, the housing market hasn't 'bottomed out' yet, so it's understandable.

Being an infamous "Haunted House" isn't much of a selling point, unless you're selling to rich Goths. (and Yes, Virginia, such creatures do exist)

Of course it was a "Murder House" before it was haunted, so that's a Real Estate Hat Trick.

SRP76
27-May-2010, 07:44 PM
I'm at a loss to explain what the hell all that shit was about.

Since the Lutzes moved out, there have been at least 3 different owner/occupants in the place, and none have had one single problem. So it's not a case of one dude just living there and "keeping quiet". It's several "happy" occupants in a row.

However, the fact remains that the Lutzes - for whatever reason - only lived there for a month. Now, you don't buy a house and then, after only 1 month, haul ass out of it while taking something like a 25 thousand-dollar loss on the deal (which is big money in 1976 dollars) "just for the hell of it". They had to have some pretty damn good reason for doing something like that.

bassman
27-May-2010, 07:56 PM
However, the fact remains that the Lutzes - for whatever reason - only lived there for a month. Now, you don't buy a house and then, after only 1 month, haul ass out of it while taking something like a 25 thousand-dollar loss on the deal (which is big money in 1976 dollars) "just for the hell of it". They had to have some pretty damn good reason for doing something like that.

Maybe the loss was worth it considering the loads of money they would probably later make off their story in the books, movie, and sequels?

Speaking of movie houses or "inspired" movie houses...I saw the other day that the Field of Dreams house and farm was up for sale. I believe they also mentioned that the baseball field was still there....

darth los
27-May-2010, 08:05 PM
Maybe the loss was worth it considering the loads of money they would probably later make off their story in the books, movie, and sequels?

Speaking of movie houses or "inspired" movie houses...I saw the other day that the Field of Dreams house and farm was up for sale. I believe they also mentioned that the baseball field was still there....

Yes but how did theyknow the story would be lucrative? Seems like a pretty big gamble.

They must work for AIG. :p

:cool:

bassman
27-May-2010, 08:08 PM
They must work for AIG. :p

BAA ZING!:lol:

I imagine with the pre-existing celebrity of the house they figured they could milk it into some money. Maybe that's why they kept changing their stories and bumping them up a notch everytime? Looking through the wikipedia page I see that some of their stuff was in the realm of believable, but then they moved on to green slime coming up the stairs and such.:confused:

It would've been a gamble, but in this case it looks like the gamble probably paid off...

SRP76
27-May-2010, 08:15 PM
From what I understand from the biographies and such over the years, a LOT of the over-the-top stupid things were just author-created crap, and that the Lutzes themselves only claimed comparatively minor things, such as slamming doors and hearing voices, as opposed to the "giant koala stomps on George's back while screaming EUCALYPTUS, BITCH!!!!" kind of stuff the books and films portray.

Any number of things could explain that sort of thing. For example, maybe they rubbed one of the neighbors the wrong way, and they decided to terrorize them.

darth los
27-May-2010, 08:25 PM
You would think that if someone had something in order to disprove what they were claiming they would have come forward by now.

Debunking a hoax can make you famous as well.

Now where are those bigfoot photos again? :shifty:

BillyRay
27-May-2010, 08:29 PM
Well, I heard some folks went in with a ouija board, but all it did was open up a wormhole to another galaxy...

I'm here all week, folks, try the veal.

http://madeinhead.org/anism/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/tonyclifton.jpg

bassman
27-May-2010, 08:29 PM
I wonder if this house has problems with "fans" of the case. I hear that Ed Gein's tombstone would have pieces chipped off as souvenirs.

How strange would it be to walk out of your house in the morning to find someone running off with your front porch step. :lol:

SRP76
27-May-2010, 08:33 PM
They obviously get "visitors", just like the Monroeville Mall. I imagine most people aren't dicks though, so they don't vandalize things.

Especially since the place has been occupied almost the entire time. Ghosts or not, the possibility that the dude inside has a shotgun is VERY real.

bassman
27-May-2010, 08:39 PM
They obviously get "visitors", just like the Monroeville Mall. I imagine most people aren't dicks though, so they don't vandalize things.

True, but there's bound to be a difference between shooting location fans and murder crime scene fans. One of these groups(not saying which), needs to seek professional help...

Tricky
27-May-2010, 08:41 PM
I dont hold any belief in ghosts purely because i've never seen one with my own eyes or had anything odd happen to me personally, but I still wouldnt want to live there, not because of the spook stories, but because of what originally happened in there to start the stories off in the first place :dead: I wouldnt want to live anywhere where there had been a murder, just bad vibes y'know?

SRP76
27-May-2010, 08:46 PM
I wouldnt want to live anywhere where there had been a murder, just bad vibes y'know?

Then I guess this would be a bad time to tell you that an old woman DID murder her husband in your house, back in 1908.:p

That's another thing I've always wondered about. It's not like EVERY homicide is huge worldwide news. Over the course of several generations and resales/re-rentals, I can imagine murders being totally forgotten. How many of us are living in places where someone got offed, and we just don't know it?

darth los
27-May-2010, 08:53 PM
Then I guess this would be a bad time to tell you that an old woman DID murder her husband in your house, back in 1908.:p

That's another thing I've always wondered about. It's not like EVERY homicide is huge worldwide news. Over the course of several generations and resales/re-rentals, I can imagine murders being totally forgotten. How many of us are living in places where someone got offed, and we just don't know it?

Well, considering that billions of people have inhabited the planet since the dawn of man.

very likely.

Tricky
27-May-2010, 09:46 PM

Ha! Got ya there, my current house was built in 1938 :p although interestingly it is peppered with cemented up bullet holes where a Messerschmitt strafed it in WW2 (new building at the time in the vicinity of several large bomber command airfields, go figure) but the only thing the Luftwaffe managed to kill was a few cows in the next door field by all accounts!

JDFP
27-May-2010, 11:07 PM
Ha! Got ya there, my current house was built in 1938 :p although interestingly it is peppered with cemented up bullet holes where a Messerschmitt strafed it in WW2 (new building at the time in the vicinity of several large bomber command airfields, go figure) but the only thing the Luftwaffe managed to kill was a few cows in the next door field by all accounts!

Yeah, Goering HATED cows, especially when they didn't feed his gout body...

Anyway, all the Germans knew that German cows were far superior than British cows anyway, especially if the cows had blue eyes. :shifty:

Okay, back on topic...

I have a hard time believing a family after moving into the place would say: "Hey, we're going to lose a fortune by bailing out of this place in 28 days instead of staying here, but maybe we can put together a book about a haunting here and since there was a terrible murder that took place here people will believe it and we'll become filthy rich!"

Eh... it is possible, and the events in the book as described in it are possible too, but I think the truth is that something (regardless of what it may be) ended up scaring the shit out of them enough to not care about losing all that money.

j.p.