PDA

View Full Version : Ken Griffey Jr retires out of nowhere

MikePizzoff
03-Jun-2010, 02:28 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Seattle-Mariners-Ken-Griffey-Jr-retires-060210

He was absent at yesterday's game and apparently simply gave the franchise a letter telling them he felt like he was holding them back.

This marks the ending of an era, in a way. Although, you can argue that the era ended a while ago when he "lost it". Either way, he's surely heading for the Hall Of Fame.

AcesandEights
03-Jun-2010, 02:32 PM
I didn't realize this dude was still playing.

MikePizzoff
03-Jun-2010, 02:40 PM

That's because he was benched most of the time due to being a shadow of his former self.

darth los
03-Jun-2010, 03:14 PM
22 years huh? Pretty long career he had.

It's still weird retiring in the middle of a season. Brett Favre thiinks that's rediculous. :lol:

Maybe he thought he could handle the grind of the season but his body wasn't cooperating.

:cool:

bassman
03-Jun-2010, 03:16 PM

Same here. I haven't heard of the guy since he was popular in the nineties. I haven't really followed baseball too much since then either, so...

darth los
03-Jun-2010, 03:46 PM
Yeah, it's sad when a formerly all time great player is just hanging on in his final years for whatever reason. Willie mays did the same thing and it was just as sad.

ProfessorChaos
03-Jun-2010, 07:18 PM
anyone recall playing the ken griffey jr. baseball game on the SNES? i recall playing homerun derby in that game and racking up dozens of HR's in a single game. fun stuff.

my entire family met ken griffey jr once. on father's day 2004, while i was out in north carolina, my family went to a cards/reds game and my brother caught griffey jr's 500th home-run ball:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20040620&content_id=775789&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

darth los
04-Jun-2010, 04:35 PM
anyone recall playing the ken griffey jr. baseball game on the SNES? i recall playing homerun derby in that game and racking up dozens of HR's in a single game. fun stuff.

my entire family met ken griffey jr once. on father's day 2004, while i was out in north carolina, my family went to a cards/reds game and my brother caught griffey jr's 500th home-run ball:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20040620&content_id=775789&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

That's unbelievable !!

Where is it now? Does he still have it?

If so, is he ever going to sell itor keep it as a family heirloom?

ProfessorChaos
04-Jun-2010, 08:02 PM
didn't read the whole article, did ya?

...was immediately whisked down to the Cincinnati Reds' clubhouse, where he gave the ball to Griffey and received the No. 30 jersey right off the slugger's back. That was just part of a treasure trove of memorabilia that Griffey gave him in exchange -- with more stuff to come.

he got a lot autographed stuff, including that personalized jersey from griffey and the other loads of other autographs from all the other players, made all the local new circuits, got some free tickets to games in both here and cincinnati, and was flown with 3 guests 1st class to houston with hotel accommodations in a nice suite for the all star game. they met muhammad ali on the plane and got some pictures posing in boxing moves with him. he got to help retrieve balls during that year's home-run derby and got lots more signatures and meetings with big-league ball-players.

or he could have sold the ball for perhaps up to 100 grand that day and just had a lot of money. he made his mind up and got the experience of a lifetime instead of the dough. i'm glad he did it like that, shows what kind of a guy he is. makes me proud to be his brother.

krakenslayer
04-Jun-2010, 08:04 PM
I only know the guy from the Simpsons, when he catches gigantism from Burns's Hair and Nerve Tonic. :lol:

darth los
04-Jun-2010, 08:21 PM

he got a lot autographed stuff, including that personalized jersey from griffey and the other loads of other autographs from all the other players, made all the local new circuits, got some free tickets to games in both here and cincinnati, and was flown with 3 guests 1st class to houston with hotel accommodations in a nice suite for the all star game. they met muhammad ali on the plane and got some pictures posing in boxing moves with him. he got to help retrieve balls during that year's home-run derby and got lots more signatures and meetings with big-league ball-players.

or he could have sold the ball for perhaps up to 100 grand that day and just had a lot of money. he made his mind up and got the experience of a lifetime instead of the dough. i'm glad he did it like that, shows what kind of a guy he is. makes me proud to be his brother.

:lol:

Dude, I'm at work so no i din't even click on the link. :lol:

Thnx for the clarafication. :thumbsup:

MikePizzoff
04-Jun-2010, 09:10 PM

Whoa, that's fucking incredible. Lucky bastard!

Danny
04-Jun-2010, 09:21 PM
I only know the guy from the Simpsons, when he catches gigantism from Burns's Hair and Nerve Tonic. :lol:

ditto. time to hit 88 for some nostalgia!

zEiLZDQ1tGE