PDA

View Full Version : Gladiator cemetary found in York..

Tricky
07-Jun-2010, 04:19 PM
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20100607/tuk-roman-gladiator-graveyard-unearthed-a7ad41d.html

Quite interesting for those who like their history! Chances are I'll be in York again next weekend so might go have a look :)

If you read this MZ - it may add a bit to those local legend stories you were looking for the other day! Apparently some of the skeletons have lion teeth marks on them, in York!! Romans must have imported them even back then!

AcesandEights
07-Jun-2010, 04:55 PM
Man I love anything to do with Roman era Britain. Thanks for the share, Tricky!

EvilNed
07-Jun-2010, 04:59 PM
Man I love anything to do with Roman era Britain. Thanks for the share, Tricky!

Even the toothless mingy pict slave women with scars all over their face and who sleep where the pigs shit? You love those women?

AcesandEights
07-Jun-2010, 05:02 PM
Even the toothless mingy pict slave women with scars all over their face and who sleep where the pigs shit? You love those women?

Picts were always judged on a sliding scale, Ned. Always.

SymphonicX
07-Jun-2010, 05:16 PM
slippery fucking slope, that one.

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

As for the find...AMAZING!
I love it when they find well preserved evidence of our past...Pompeii being one of the greatest discoveries ever. Simply amazing. I love the idea of shipwrecks being raised for exploration, or old tombs being explored and stuff like that...didn't they once find a near preserved Wooly Mammoth in ice once?

great post Tricky

MikePizzoff
07-Jun-2010, 05:30 PM
I think it's amazing that by looking at bones they can tell the weight the person was and that one arm had more muscle mass than the other (due to holding weapons/shields on that arm).

Pretty cool find.

Tricky
07-Jun-2010, 06:10 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/jun/07/york-gladiator-graveyard

More from the Guardian, including right at the end where it mentions the often reported sighting of a battle worn Roman legion marching through the cellar of the old treasurers house (centuries ago before it was built its believed a roman road ran through that site)
York is an absolutely fascinating city, theres more history there than anywhere else in the UK, just walking round you can take in so much from it :D

AcesandEights
07-Jun-2010, 06:29 PM
it mentions the often reported sighting of a battle worn Roman legion marching through the cellar of the old treasurers house (centuries ago before it was built its believed a roman road ran through that site)

Oh, I remember hearing about this one. Gotta love ghost stories that really reach back for their origin.